It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Exploration thrusters online

<span class="bold">Star Ruler 2: Wake of the Heralds</span>, which expands the expansive 4X/RTS with two new cultures, is now available for Windows and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com.

In the vastness of space, staying hidden should be easy, right? The nomadic Heralds, constantly on the run from an unknown threat that consumes entire worlds, know better. Establishing a new home, dealing with their new neighbors, and fighting off extinction on borrowed time is a daunting challenge, but one they are used to by now.
Valuing their spiritual essence above all else, The First are among those neighbors alarmed by the arrival of the Heralds. In order to survive the upcoming catastrophe, they will strive to unify the galaxy's mass.
These two cultures bring dozens of new technologies, weapons, and research opportunities, providing the perfect excuse to dive back into Star Ruler 2. If for no other reason than to experiment with the newly introduced Attitudes mechanic, which lets you choose a Scheming, Progressive, or Xenophobic stance in how you make your way across the galaxy.

Explore and conquer this increasingly intriguing galaxy in <span class="bold">Star Ruler 2: Wake of the Heralds</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. If you've yet to start building your intergalactic empire, the stars have aligned in your favor as <span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span> is now 50% off until May 16, 12:59 PM UTC.
Now I know it's been too long a week. Didn't see Firgof there :).
Yeah !!
Finally ! :D (instabuy, of course)

Firgof: Nah, we're just about where we were when we wrote that post: Still remains to be seen whether the expansion sells well enough that it'll keep us afloat but it is directly determining that - whether we stay up or shut down.
I really hope you'll encounter the success you and your team deserves :)
Post edited May 13, 2016 by Splatsch
Anybody got a good idiot's guide to Star Ruler 2? I tried playing a while back but I am not sure if I was playing it correctly.

I do have to say that it's one of the more optimized games out there as I managed to have 5 entire GALAXIES running and each had over 1000 systems in it. The game did ask me if I am from the future but it ran quite well with all them galaxies :D

Also, if anyone knows a proper size of a game and how many aliens to play against, that would be cool too :)
JudasIscariot: Also, if anyone knows a proper size of a game and how many aliens to play against, that would be cool too :)
I usually play on a map with 100 systems with one candidate per race so that is 8 races now with the new dlc. Best map to choose if you start a new is Clusters since it puts you in your own Cluster which gives you time to expand and prepare for war.

To be fair there is no such thing as a proper size. It all depends how long you wan't to play. For me it takes about 10-20 hours with 100 systems since the AI is in competition and I exploit their weaknesses aka them being in war with others.
I'll definitely buy it.
Wishlisted for now though.

I've spent enough on some books the last two months. I cannot afford the price of this DLC right now.
Will this be fairly easy to port to mac using wineskin? or will it be a more complex "do only if you are god" kind of an operation? I'd hate to dish out the cash only to find that I can't get it to work on the mac.

By the way, why is GOG seriously under developing hot titles for the mac? Kinda lonely over here...
Zoltan999: Here's a question....the original Star Rulers 2 does not list XP as a supported OS, but this one does. So that leads me to wonder and ask, is that a mistake? As this is advertised as DLC for the original, how does that work, or make sense?
Grargar: More than likely, a mistake by GOG. There is no XP support for the DLC on Steam.
Yeah, that's what I was figuring as well, and that definitely seems to be the case, as they did now correct it on the SR2: WotH DLC page. Shame, I've finally gotten around to getting to play X3TC for the first time, and am *really* enjoying it, and got all excited when I saw this was available for my XP gaming rig.....hopes shattered, lol
Post edited May 14, 2016 by Zoltan999
Hm, realtime strategy. The only realtime strategy I liked was Imperium Galactica 2. So how is this game compared to IG 2? Harder? Easier? Same level of difficulty? Active pause or not?
Maxvorstadt: Hm, realtime strategy. The only realtime strategy I liked was Imperium Galactica 2. So how is this game compared to IG 2? Harder? Easier? Same level of difficulty? Active pause or not?
Active pause, yes. I never played IG2 so can't comment on that.

What you do in this game is colonize planets and export their ressources to planets you wan't to upgrade/level up which gives you certain types of pressure aka resources which are influence, money, research, FTL, energy and global defense. So a certain type of pressure on the planet generates certain types of production buildings. For example if you import money ressource/pressure it generates a number of markeplaces that correspond to the pressure amount available. In order to use pressure you need to have enough cities on the planet which you can build or they generate themselves with time which corresponds to number of needed labour.

So each planet has one or several resources that you can use to upgrade other planets. There are five levels of planetary development which all need certain number of ressources imported. Then you can build orbitals and fleets. You can do diplomacy which is done by buying diplomatic cards with influence. Then you research technology for planets, fleets, etc. You can scout planets, build supply depots, defense satelites, remant ships, activate artifacts, like death star ship, design your own ships for battles, etc . Also if you are not interested in designing ship you can just download in-game new designs from other players and use it in game.

Check some Star Ruler 2 Heralds gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgd6hJjybHs

The game itself is not hard just in needs a bit of time to get adjusted to the economical system which quite simple but works wonderfull.

I recommend the game very much.
Post edited May 14, 2016 by Matruchus
JudasIscariot: Anybody got a good idiot's guide to Star Ruler 2? I tried playing a while back but I am not sure if I was playing it correctly.
I don't think there is a "correct" way to play it. It's one of the most sandboxy strategy games I've seen.
JudasIscariot: Also, if anyone knows a proper size of a game and how many aliens to play against, that would be cool too :)
The game gives you a warning when you try to make a game with more than 25 or 30 systems per player, saying that the game will be very slow paced. For a relatively fast-paced game, I'd go for 1 galaxy, 4~5 players, 15~20 systems per player. If you want to have larger number of systems but keep the pace high, there is a slider that controls the amount of barren vs useful planets (I keep that option off so I couldn't tell you the details).

I mostly like the sandbox aspect of it, though, so I usually played with 4 or 5 races, 1 galaxy per race, 40ish systems each galaxy, no barren planets. I like having multiple level 5 planets, with huge trade networks. AI is (or was, didn't try it after the latest patch) very bad at intergalactic colonization and warfare even on hard, though that was a plus for sandbox experience :)

Another good setup that I only recently found about (and now it's my favorite) is to use "The Expanse" map. It's slightly similar to Clusters galaxy Matruchus recommended above: every player spawns in one branch of the galaxy, with strong remnant fleets guarding the center. They differ in one key point, though... On the Expanse, remnant fleets guard the edges of the galaxy, too. Once you clear a system on the edge from the remnants, a new system guarded by increasingly stronger remnants opens up, and so on ad infinitum.

In my most recent game I cleared about 3 tiers, enemy remnants' fleet strength in the fourth tier was somewhere around 2 million. Then I got the expansion and restarted the map :)
nice new pretty for my library... Thanks GoG!
SR2 + DLC hmmm. So its sandboxy type of 4x?. Is there a half decent manual or any description or at least a wiki with basic info?. (reviews seems to indicate the lack of or little)..
I`m currently taking a view into the wiki. Hm, seems as if you can go easily in debt and when you`re in debt, the guns of your ships stop firing! Very weird concept.
Niggles: SR2 + DLC hmmm. So its sandboxy type of 4x?. Is there a half decent manual or any description or at least a wiki with basic info?. (reviews seems to indicate the lack of or little)..
Yes there is a wiki here: http://wiki.starruler2.com/Main_Page

and it describes the game quite nicely. Its not very complicated to play. You have a short tutorial that introduces you in to the games economical concept.
Maxvorstadt: I`m currently taking a view into the wiki. Hm, seems as if you can go easily in debt and when you`re in debt, the guns of your ships stop firing! Very weird concept.
Nope, that is not true. Ships fire as long as they have stored enough supply aka ammunition. But still some ships then continue firing with lasers but their power is very much decreased. Debt does not affect firing of ships.
Attachments:
supply.jpeg (26 Kb)
Post edited May 15, 2016 by Matruchus
Niggles: SR2 + DLC hmmm. So its sandboxy type of 4x?. Is there a half decent manual or any description or at least a wiki with basic info?. (reviews seems to indicate the lack of or little)..
Matruchus: Yes there is a wiki here: http://wiki.starruler2.com/Main_Page

and it describes the game quite nicely. Its not very complicated to play. You have a short tutorial that introduces you in to the games economical concept.
Maxvorstadt: I`m currently taking a view into the wiki. Hm, seems as if you can go easily in debt and when you`re in debt, the guns of your ships stop firing! Very weird concept.
Matruchus: Nope, that is not true. Ships fire as long as they have stored enough supply aka ammunition. But still some ships then continue firing with lasers but their power is very much decreased. Debt does not affect firing of ships.
Oh, so the wiki is wrong?
Anyways, I think the game is too complicated for a RTS, it should be a TBS game.