It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Exploration thrusters online

<span class="bold">Star Ruler 2: Wake of the Heralds</span>, which expands the expansive 4X/RTS with two new cultures, is now available for Windows and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com.

In the vastness of space, staying hidden should be easy, right? The nomadic Heralds, constantly on the run from an unknown threat that consumes entire worlds, know better. Establishing a new home, dealing with their new neighbors, and fighting off extinction on borrowed time is a daunting challenge, but one they are used to by now.
Valuing their spiritual essence above all else, The First are among those neighbors alarmed by the arrival of the Heralds. In order to survive the upcoming catastrophe, they will strive to unify the galaxy's mass.
These two cultures bring dozens of new technologies, weapons, and research opportunities, providing the perfect excuse to dive back into Star Ruler 2. If for no other reason than to experiment with the newly introduced Attitudes mechanic, which lets you choose a Scheming, Progressive, or Xenophobic stance in how you make your way across the galaxy.

Explore and conquer this increasingly intriguing galaxy in <span class="bold">Star Ruler 2: Wake of the Heralds</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. If you've yet to start building your intergalactic empire, the stars have aligned in your favor as <span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span> is now 50% off until May 16, 12:59 PM UTC.
Maxvorstadt: Oh, so the wiki is wrong?
Anyways, I think the game is too complicated for a RTS, it should be a TBS game.
I searched the wiki for what you stated but couldn't find that entry.

Its a very simple game when you play a bit longer and connect with the economical concept behind it. Fact is that it has a unique economical system not seen in other games which might be confusing for beginning players. But if you play the short tutorial you should be fine. Also gameplay is quite slow so you don't need the TBS system and you can always pause it if you are not sure about something.
Post edited May 15, 2016 by Matruchus
Maxvorstadt: Oh, so the wiki is wrong?
Anyways, I think the game is too complicated for a RTS, it should be a TBS game.
Matruchus: I searched the wiki for what you stated but couldn't find that entry.

Its a very simple game when you play a bit longer and connect with the economical concept behind it. Fact is that it has a unique economical system not seen in other games which might be confusing for beginning players. But if you play the short tutorial you should be fine. Also gameplay is quite slow so you don't need the TBS system and you can always pause it if you are not sure about something.
The thing I mentioned is here, under "Budget Cycles":
http://wiki.starruler2.com/Economy
Matruchus: I searched the wiki for what you stated but couldn't find that entry.

Maxvorstadt: The thing I mentioned is here, under "Budget Cycles":
http://wiki.starruler2.com/Economy
Ah, ok. Yeah, its virtually impossible to get very far in to debt so its not really an issue. The only time this could happen is if you colonise too many planets at once and they are level 0 which means they make you loose money until you upgrade them. That is -80k per planet.
The guns don't stop firing - they deal less damage. The more you are in debt the less capable your armies are of utilizing their strength.
Post edited May 16, 2016 by Firgof
Firgof: The guns don't stop firing - they deal less damage. The more you are in debt the less capable your armies are of utilizing their strength.
Aha. Hm, has this changed with some patch, or why does the wiki say this?
Oh, by the way: Nice to see a developer here. :-)
Post edited May 16, 2016 by Maxvorstadt
Niggles: SR2 + DLC hmmm. So its sandboxy type of 4x?. Is there a half decent manual or any description or at least a wiki with basic info?. (reviews seems to indicate the lack of or little)..
honest answer is no because the new dlc changes the game play so much
Star Ruler 2 is a lot of fun. Great quality of life improvements over typical space 4x (don't need to build factories, etc on every world, on worlds with high defense ships are automatically generated).

Really worth a look. This DLC is the first thing I've bought full price on GOG. Looking forward to trying the new races!
Dlc patch,
Patched game play changes the dynamic between ships and support class vessels. A pre-patch BRICK ship just loading up on massive support fleets is a viable option but post-patch puts more reliance on the actual ships making small frigate (aka victory class) building strategies a strong early to mid game empire.

imo this makes the game better

Bugs so far;
Only the fact that they didn’t remove titan hull correctly… so you can still import a design with it but it can’t be unlocked | removed from the design once you import it… in effect making the entire ship design un-usable.
ussnorway: Bugs so far;
Only the fact that they didn’t remove titan hull correctly… so you can still import a design with it but it can’t be unlocked | removed from the design once you import it… in effect making the entire ship design un-usable.
Why would they remove titan hull? It's still right there in the research tree. In the expansion tree, it's straight down from the central node.

I just tested importing the Titan hull design into a game where I don't have it unlocked yet. While it's true that you can't remove titan hull, I could apply and remove another hull type (eg, destroyer) to reset the selection. The result was... not nice. The grid sizes are so different that more than half of the hexes were gone, Not to mention that Titan hull allows for 512-hex ships, while normally you can have only 128-hex ships. You'd have to completely rebuild the ship anyway.

If you still want to use the Titan hull ship as a base for another, non-Titan design, you can use the Designs Sandbox. Everything is unlocked there.

Firgof: The guns don't stop firing - they deal less damage. The more you are in debt the less capable your armies are of utilizing their strength.
Hey Firgof, where should I report bugs? GOG subforum for SR2, Steam discussions or somewhere else? I'll post it here for the time being.

When you build museums (the ones from Zeitgeist), the tooltip says they can't be removed once finished. The problem is, they can't be removed even if you cancel the build before it's done, which permanently renders those tiles unusable. Can't resume the canceled museum, either. It just sits there, transparent and unfinished.

To reproduce: during appropriate Zeitgeist, start building a museum, immediately cancel it by clicking the red x on the build list. I canceled it at 0%.

Anyways, some minor annoyances aside, I wanted to thank you for a wonderful game and expansion. I think this expansion is the first thing on GOG and Steam combined that I bought for full price (my budget is very limited, so I live by the discounts :) ). I'll probably also buy it on Steam once it goes on a big enough sale, just for Workshop integration, since most mods don't offer alternative downloads :(
I hope you'll get enough sales to continue development. Good luck!
themomkey: Will this be fairly easy to port to mac using wineskin? or will it be a more complex "do only if you are god" kind of an operation? I'd hate to dish out the cash only to find that I can't get it to work on the mac.

By the way, why is GOG seriously under developing hot titles for the mac? Kinda lonely over here...
I haven't been able to find any reference anywhere of anyone successfully porting Star Ruler 2 with Wineskin. A pity they stopped developing the native Mac version - I've been interested in this game since the initial release. But I've gotten to the point where I've completely stopped buying games which don't have a native Mac version -- Bootcamp and the various Wine variations are not good solutions, and simply not worth the time and aggravation they add to a game.

Still, this one was a surprise to me - If they can do a Linux version of a game, it's pretty easy to do Mac (actually quite a bit easier, and requiring much less tech support...) -- my guess is their development team had Linux experience and no Mac experience, so they simply didn't bother with it.