It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The right song will make you strong.

Songbringer is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.
A sci-fi action RPG with procedurally-generated worlds and a focus on powerful, long-lost technological devices, secrets, dungeons, bosses, and looking particularly amazing. A recipe for perfection? We think so.

"“Millions of unique worlds? Zelda-style exploration, combat, and puzzling? Be still, my beating heart.”Kotaku

Trailer!
Post edited September 01, 2017 by GOG_Solostran
HiPhish: Is there some sort of template or repository for these "indie" pixel graphics? You know, the ones that look like an Atari made love to an NES and then had a miscarriage. Because so many indie games have this same looking pixel style.
This so called retro style pixel graphics is a bunch of bullshit. The games look like crap, and in the old games with pixel graphics, the artists did the best with what they had to work with at the time. These days it is mostly just a simplified and cheap method to develop, then it's conveniently called retro pixelated graphics.

For reference, look at this old series and its clarity with very limited graphics: https://www.gog.com/game/space_quest_1_2_3
Post edited September 01, 2017 by qwixter
low rated
Breja: Wow, HIGH RESOLUTION UGLY GRAPHICS. I will buy this three times in hopes of achieving such a goal!
tfishell: Well here you're just being an asshole. :P Oh ... wait your avatar title does say "full of shit"
Yeah, it spares people the trouble of having to call me that every time I dare to have an opinion they don't like.

tfishell: Okay but why constantly bitch about it on the forum if other people want to buy this game?
Is it somehow preventing people from buying it? I bitch about it constantly because GOG constantly brings more of this crap here, instead of many much more interesting games, both in terms of graphics and gameplay. Anyway, I really don't see the problem. Is this some new rule, that the release threads are only supposed to have positive opinions about the release? Why wouldn't I bitch about if I think it sucks to see pixelated roguelike #54982 here? And it's not like I'm the only one.

tfishell: It'd be more worthwhile to complain on a game dev forum to prevent this art style getting made.
Why would I bother to find the devs forum? I'm on this forum. Where there is a release thread for this game. You guys are acting crazy. You just don't like what I have to say so you're coming up with bullshit reasons to have me not say it. I'm not attacking anyone for saying they like it, so lay off.

tfishell: (Funny how some of the Stream reviews are praising the art; I guess those damn kids don't know a shit game when they see it.)
Apparently they don't. Not that it surprises me.

tfishell: I'll make this call out to anyone: what are some simple but pretty graphics you like? Graphics that look like even a low-budget game could handle? A Night in the Woods?
Samorost. Botanicula is downright beautiful. Braveland is very simple but quite nice. Even something like Edna & Harvey: The Breakout at least has a unique style and isn't pixelated. A Night in The Woods looks ok. O don't exactly love the style, but it's fine.
Post edited September 01, 2017 by Breja
Breja: I bitch about it constantly because GOG constantly brings more of this crap here,
What's the point though? Why do you feel the need the bitch and moan everytime one of those games is released here? You made it undoubtedly clear that you don't like the mere existence of these games, so do you wish misfortune and financial ruin to the devs of those games? And what about the users who like or even love those games? What did they do to deserve the loathing of you and your likeminded friends? Do they have to feel bad about liking those games and wanting to see more of those?

On another note, have you even played some of those or are you taking the buzzwords from the promotional material at face value? Even if the games share similar mechanics and art style, the way the games play and their aesthetics may differ greatly.
Carradice: procedurally generated world = lazinesssssss of the developer.
Imago: Creation of the sophisticated algorithm also requires a lot of work. It can be equally interesting to navigate randomly generated environments, leading to some unexpected findings and encounters, as it is in well designed world. The most interesting thing is that you never know until you try.

Also, good level design follows distinct set of rules, which can be implemented in world generation algorithm. Check the analysis of the original Zelda (which this game "tries to emulate") level design, and you'll see those rules (lock and key concept, enemies placement, etc.) and how they are applied.

I'm not saying that this game has better level design than LoZ or any other "handmade" game, and I'm aware that results of procedural generation can be uninteresting, but it is definitely wrong to call software developer, who wrote the algorithm that creates something playable, lazy.
Sura algorithms require work. I am happy to agree with that. However, people write algorithms in order to not having to do the work by hand... In this case, making interesting game areas one by one.

From the point of view of the player, procedurally generated worlds add to replayability. They tend to make game areas anodyne and soulless.

Again, for some games and players it may work. Diablo and Torchlight were mentioned. You can add roguelikes like ADOM (another fashionable thrend nowadays). The first being a legend and the second a gem. But, despite being a gem it becomes repetitive after you have seen all the tricks.

Who will you talk with in the levels? What kind of quests/missions might you find? What kind of dialogue? The best procedure will not generate a Baldur's Gate. Nor a Raptor nor a
Tyrian, and the last ones are not dialogue-rich games...

Hoping the best for the developers and the players who want to give this particular game a chance. Just probably not for me like other games in this particular vein that were disappointments, although I would be glad to be surprised--who does not like having fun in unexpected places? :-)
Post edited September 01, 2017 by Carradice
Breja: I bitch about it constantly because GOG constantly brings more of this crap here,
Acriz: What's the point though? Why do you feel the need the bitch and moan everytime one of those games is released here? You made it undoubtedly clear that you don't like the mere existence of these games, so do you wish misfortune and financial ruin to the devs of those games? And what about the users who like or even love those games? What did they do to deserve the loathing of you and your likeminded friends? Do they have to feel bad about liking those games and wanting to see more of those?
This is insane.

Have I ever expressed loathing or anything negative towards people who like these games? No. I only express my opinion about the games themselves. Are we now going to ban expressing negative opinions about things because someone might like them and feel bad about it? Has everyone gone nuts? I guess I'm crying myself to sleep tonight, since drealmer said he hates Firefly.

Look, release threads are here so we may express our opinon on the new releases. It's not my fault GOG keeps releasing what looks like the same game all the time, and gets the same responses. You can express your enthusiasm about it all you want. I certainly won't harass you about it. However I am getting tired of this witch hunt. I'm not going to keep explaining myself. I am however going to keep making those posts you hate so much every time another game like this gets released. I'm afraid you're just going to have to live with that horror.
Post edited September 01, 2017 by Breja
Breja: This is insane.

Have I ever expressed loathing or anything negative towards people who like these games? No. I only express my opinion about the games themselves. Are we now going to ban expressing negative opinions about things because someone might like them and feel bad about it? Has everyone gone nuts? I guess I'm crying myself to sleep tonight, since drealmer said he hates Firefly.

Look, release threads are here so we may express our opinon on the new releases. It's not my fault GOG keeps releasing what looks like the same game all the time, and gets the same responses. You can express your enthusiasm about it all you want. I certainly won't harass you about it. However I am getting tired of this witch hunt. I'm not going to keep explaining myself. I am however going to keep making those posts you hate so much every time another game like this gets released. I'm afraid you're just going to have to live with that horror.
Look, bitching is fine and worth doing when it's relevant, but you could cut and paste any of these "I don't like it" posts into any of the other roguelike release threads without noticing a single difference, not because the games are interchangeably, as I'm sure someone would lamely quip, but because the complaints are so general and superficial, and tell you nothing about the game in question. It's a conversational dead end; the equivalent of a bunch of grannies that keep having the same conversation whenever they meet using slightly different wording - a self-congratulatory waste of time. That's why it gets annoying. Not because it's negative, that doesn't matter when there's a point to it, but because it's predictable and redundant - just people endlessly repeating the same thing over and over, without any variety or change in tone. That's not having a discussion, that's like talking to a bot.
Post edited September 01, 2017 by getrdy
AWESOME !
low rated
getrdy: Look, bitching is fine and worth doing when it's relevant, but you could cut and paste any of these "I don't like it" posts into any of the other roguelike release threads without noticing a single difference, not because the games are interchangeably, as I'm sure someone would lamely quip,
A lame quip. (Or did you think that just because you preemptively call it that, it somehow stops being true?)

getrdy: but because the complaints are so general and superficial, and tell you nothing about the game in question.
Unlike the "yay, wishlisted" that often make up most of release threads. Those are conversational gold-mines. And so unique!

So yeah, either go bother someone about those too, or bite me.
Post edited September 02, 2017 by Breja
Acriz: What's the point though? Why do you feel the need the bitch and moan everytime one of those games is released here? You made it undoubtedly clear that you don't like the mere existence of these games, so do you wish misfortune and financial ruin to the devs of those games? And what about the users who like or even love those games? What did they do to deserve the loathing of you and your likeminded friends? Do they have to feel bad about liking those games and wanting to see more of those?
Breja: This is insane.

You're not getting it. You have your head so far up in your own ass that you even missed my initial question. And then continued to ignore the last paragraph. So to sum it up: You want to bemoan every new release of games you do not like, because they look the same to you. But you do not want to hinder or prevent other people from buying those, who enjoy those games. Which leads to the question: What is your point? If you complain about a release to show that you are unsatisfied, then what are you trying to achieve with that complaint? If you want GOG to release less of those games, then you are indeed trying to hinder people from aquiring those games.
low rated
Acriz: You're not getting it. You have your head so far up in your own ass
It's not my fault it's more interesting in there then here talking to you.

Acriz: If you complain about a release to show that you are unsatisfied, then what are you trying to achieve with that complaint?
I just feel like getting it off my chest. If you have a problem with that I. DON'T. CARE.
trusteft: The game does look interesting. I am going to place it in my wishlist for the future.

But, I have to say the "8-bit" look has gotten out of hand IMO. I was tired of 8-bit in the mid 80s.
Not only that but I wonder if any of the developers of these "8-bit" games have tried to play their games on a large size monitor. If they look questionable in a smaller size monitor, try to play them in 30-40 inch. They look like poop.
OK not all use this size of monitors but still.

Can you developers please finally in year 2017 jump on the 16-bit wagon ?
There's actually nothing wrong with the "8-bit" pixel art look. The problem is the complete lack of respect for the conventions of the art style. This fuggly pixel art style that seems to be championed by publishers like Devolver Digital often disregards resolution consistency (HUDs are often displayed at a higher resolution than the game, scaling effects often disregard resolutions or apply the display resolution and/or some kind of texture filtering) and suitable palettes (colours should be saturated, well-contrasted and limited as opposed to the muted, pastel-like colours that these games often show).

There are recent pixel art games out there that will never age, but that's because they understand and get the style right: Shovel Knight, Mercenary Kings, VVVVVV, Retro City Rampage, Terraria.

Rogue Legacy comes pretty close - doesn't adhere to conventions but at least looks decent.
_ChaosFox_: VVVVVV
Cool you mentioned that, that's a style virtually anybody could achieve. So if the gameplay is good but the art budget is tight, the devs could shoot for something like that.
qwixter: This so called retro style pixel graphics is a bunch of bullshit. The games look like crap, and in the old games with pixel graphics, the artists did the best with what they had to work with at the time. These days it is mostly just a simplified and cheap method to develop, then it's conveniently called retro pixelated graphics.

For reference, look at this old series and its clarity with very limited graphics: https://www.gog.com/game/space_quest_1_2_3
That's why I called it a miscarriage between an Atari and an NES. Don't worry, I'm on GOG, I know to appreciate quality sprite work from the old days :) There was an image I saw once, but I cannot find it any more. It showed what MegaMan would look like in this fugly hipster pixel style. It really looks like there is one template image and then people just fill in the colours and add some pixels here and there for details.
Acriz: You're not getting it. You have your head so far up in your own ass
Breja: It's not my fault it's more interesting in there then here talking to you.

Acriz: If you complain about a release to show that you are unsatisfied, then what are you trying to achieve with that complaint?
Breja: I just feel like getting it off my chest. If you have a problem with that I. DON'T. CARE.
Ha ha ha, yes you do care. You care a lot. Normal people would just avoid things they don't like, because normal people don't like being annoyed, disgusted or appalled. You have a raging hateboner for those games. And you love it. The problem is: hateboners are even more disgusting than normal hate. There is no good reaction to that. As getrdy said: ' It's a conversational dead end. ' And if you ignore the fact, that you basically spam every release thread with impossible to react to hateboners, then you have to live with the fact, that people will tell you how much they hate that. Because hate begets hate. So stop whining that people tell you off.
low rated
Breja: It's not my fault it's more interesting in there then here talking to you.

I just feel like getting it off my chest. If you have a problem with that I. DON'T. CARE.
Acriz: Ha ha ha, yes you do care. You care a lot. Normal people would just avoid things they don't like, because normal people don't like being annoyed, disgusted or appalled. You have a raging hateboner for those games. And you love it.
You can't read very well, can you? I said I didn't care about you having a problem with my posts. Not about those games.

Acriz: As getrdy said: ' It's a conversational dead end. '
Yeah, and I already responded to that. I guess that reading problem of yours is really bad.

Acriz: then you have to live with the fact, that people will tell you how much they hate that. Because hate begets hate.
Ok, Yoda. I think I'll manage.

Acriz: So stop whining that people tell you off.
Ok. Stop whining that I express my opinion.
Post edited September 02, 2017 by Breja