It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The right song will make you strong.

Songbringer is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.
A sci-fi action RPG with procedurally-generated worlds and a focus on powerful, long-lost technological devices, secrets, dungeons, bosses, and looking particularly amazing. A recipe for perfection? We think so.

"“Millions of unique worlds? Zelda-style exploration, combat, and puzzling? Be still, my beating heart.”Kotaku

Trailer!
Post edited September 01, 2017 by GOG_Solostran
Is there some sort of template or repository for these "indie" pixel graphics? You know, the ones that look like an Atari made love to an NES and then had a miscarriage. Because so many indie games have this same looking pixel style.
Unfortunately I have to agree things have been somewhat repetitive on the visuals or a while.
HiPhish: Is there some sort of template or repository for these "indie" pixel graphics? You know, the ones that look like an Atari made love to an NES and then had a miscarriage. Because so many indie games have this same looking pixel style.
Unity has prefabs and game maker. To likely this flood of shovelware comes from one of those, long live the improvements!
The game does look interesting. I am going to place it in my wishlist for the future.

But, I have to say the "8-bit" look has gotten out of hand IMO. I was tired of 8-bit in the mid 80s.
Not only that but I wonder if any of the developers of these "8-bit" games have tried to play their games on a large size monitor. If they look questionable in a smaller size monitor, try to play them in 30-40 inch. They look like poop.
OK not all use this size of monitors but still.

Can you developers please finally in year 2017 jump on the 16-bit wagon ?
Post edited September 01, 2017 by trusteft
trusteft: Can you developers please finally in year 2017 jump on the 16-bit wagon ?
Buy enough of their games for them to afford artists and they probably will.

I know some games do choose to use retro graphics for whatever reason, but for most indies it's just a matter of that's all they can make / afford.
HiPhish: Is there some sort of template or repository for these "indie" pixel graphics? You know, the ones that look like an Atari made love to an NES and then had a miscarriage. Because so many indie games have this same looking pixel style.
nightcraw1er.488: Unity has prefabs and game maker. To likely this flood of shovelware comes from one of those, long live the improvements!
I would like you to point out the "prefabs" this comes from. If not I call rubbish and ignorance on this post
Looked interesting. But lost me at 'procedurally-generated'. Not interested any more.
Lifthrasil: Looked interesting. But lost me at 'procedurally-generated'. Not interested any more.
The same for me. Where are you, hand-written and well-designed crpgs of the golden age?

Well, actually I know where are these games. A lot of them still on my backlog, so I can easily ignore the flood of new procedurally-generated games and have fun with classics. Thanks, GOG for giving me such choice.
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: Unity has prefabs and game maker. To likely this flood of shovelware comes from one of those, long live the improvements!
amok: I would like you to point out the "prefabs" this comes from. If not I call rubbish and ignorance on this post
I used the term likely comes from one of those. But do feel free to keep blubbering, I have no interest.
amok: I would like you to point out the "prefabs" this comes from. If not I call rubbish and ignorance on this post
nightcraw1er.488: I used the term likely comes from one of those. But do feel free to keep blubbering, I have no interest.
Interest enough to make that rather silly post. ... basically, you have absolutely idea what you are talking about here, except that you don't like the style. You amy as sell have called it DRM and Microtransitions, and it would have made just as much sense

Edit - you are the one that made the accusation that they use bought assets, prove it or shut up with wild statements
Post edited September 01, 2017 by amok
Wow, an ugly, pixelated procedurally-generated game? This must be a first! I will immediately start throwing money at this unique and oh-so-pretty work of gaming art!
trusteft: But, I have to say the "8-bit" look has gotten out of hand IMO. I was tired of 8-bit in the mid 80s.
I wish the game was actually 8-bit-ish (like Shovel Knight) because at least 8-bit games looked clean and well-defined, unlike this mess. But I agree, 8-bit graphics with their limitations really don't look good. The fact that people remember 8-bit games so fondly has less to do with the technology and more with the great quality of the games themselves.

There is a great article on what NES games could look like if the sprites used the same palette the NES has, but without the limitation to only four colours per sprite:
http://www.duelinganalogs.com/article/the-nes-that-never-was/
Attachments:
trusteft: Can you developers please finally in year 2017 jump on the 16-bit wagon ?
adaliabooks: Buy enough of their games for them to afford artists and they probably will.

I know some games do choose to use retro graphics for whatever reason, but for most indies it's just a matter of that's all they can make / afford.
Yeah this forum doesn't seem to try to emphasize with indie devs; not all of them can afford high-resolution pixel art. (Don't get me wrong, the visuals are hard on my eyes too, but I guess as an (perpetual) amateur artist I can understand somewhat the trials and tribulations involved here.)

That being said, more devs could try Illustrator-built vector graphics scale more easily (and then edited in Photoshop), like in the style of A Night in the Woods. (Then the forum will complain that the graphics look like a mobile game. :P)
trusteft: But, I have to say the "8-bit" look has gotten out of hand IMO. I was tired of 8-bit in the mid 80s.
HiPhish: I wish the game was actually 8-bit-ish (like Shovel Knight) because at least 8-bit games looked clean and well-defined, unlike this mess. But I agree, 8-bit graphics with their limitations really don't look good. The fact that people remember 8-bit games so fondly has less to do with the technology and more with the great quality of the games themselves.

There is a great article on what NES games could look like if the sprites used the same palette the NES has, but without the limitation to only four colours per sprite:
http://www.duelinganalogs.com/article/the-nes-that-never-was/
Four colours per sprite? What is this wizardry! (says someone who grew up playing Spectrum games).