It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A life of sin awaits within

<span class="bold">Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales</span>, an action/adventure/RPG hybrid that lets you explore all aspects of a corsair's thrilling life, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.

Dogs are famously friendly, loyal, and perhaps a little bit gullible creatures. Sea Dogs, however, are nothing of the sort. They lead lives full of fighting, murder, plunder, and uneasy camaraderie, usually feverish with a self-destructive gold rush. Blaze and Beatrice Sharp are born into this life, having inherited their father's swashbuckling legacy. Time to see how they measure up.

Now that they've both come of age, it's time to make their own name, carve their own path through this open-world of exciting yet dangerous opportunities. There are 16 ships to choose from, different crew members to hire, weapons to equip on your ship or take along in your land adventures, skills to pick, quests to undertake, treasures to unearth. Feel free to seek your fortune and explore the secrets of the Caribbean islands, but never let your guard down. After all, how you handle yourself during the intense naval battles and your continuous struggles with the capricious sea weather will determine whether you name will become synonymous with glorious piracy or a brief footnote in the chronicles of this brutal age of buccaneers.

Dip you cutlass into a sea of perils, treasures, and the blood of your enemies as you live your own <span class="bold">Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
anothername: Not having that choice is a serious knock out criteria :)

But AoP2 does have female chars too, does it not? According to the wiki at least: [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Pirates_2:_City_of_Abandoned_Ships]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Pirates_2:_City_of_Abandoned_Ships[/url]

So far its really cool. After some noob errors (not getting that F2 opens the character screen; Ctrl to pan the cam) its fun.

The Pirates that want to blackmail you are annoying. One popped his "Give X Gold and I let you go" every five seconds. Double annoying because fire all cannons & the default "Yes, I give up take all my gold" are both on space bar.

Thankfully that was only once & finally gutting that prick in his cabin was really liberating :D
wolfsrain: The choice in CoAS is only for the freeplay. The campaign is strictly a male affair, as the story is based on a book by Rafael Sabatini.
Good to know, thanks.

CTales is quite crash happy when other ships surrender; at least with this supermod. But that on the other hand reads like it makes the game crash less.
Supermod had some serious problems from the start, mostly due to the Starforce protection and the fact that there were no modding tools released for AoP. There were two remakes of Supermod: one that solved some of the crashing problems and one that made the game more historical accurate.

Vanilla game had some occasional crashing, but wasn't very common.
Rottencorpsex: There are two versions of the game, when the original (let's call it Sea Dogs III) was released, it was bugged as shit and also gay. Year later they released Sea Dogs III Return Of the Legend which was a fixed version of the original + bonus content. I hope this is the fixed version, otherwise I'd not recommend it.

Now GOG has 2 of the 6 games. SD1 and SD3. Hope the SD2 comes here too but I doubt it cuz that is up to Bethesda and looks like they don't give a damn about the game. SD3 had 3 more standalone games: Chest of a dead man 2007, city of abandoned ships 2009 and to each his own 2012. So 6 totally.
gay as in happy? Well then Ill be getting that game then :)
ChipChipperson10: Interesting. Does the first Sea Dogs have town management as well? This may be the series I'm looking for.
Taro94: I'm pretty sure the original Sea Dogs (NOT Caribbean Tales) doesn't have town management, but I haven't played it. Caribbean Tales does, but has its problems, too - little to no storyline is probably what grinds most players' gears.
Thanks. I'll check out both. I'm fine with games not having a story or a complicated plot - It's sort of rare these days, I think. I don't really care for that in my games. As long as the game play is solid and fun, that's all that matters.
Taro94: I'm pretty sure the original Sea Dogs (NOT Caribbean Tales) doesn't have town management, but I haven't played it. Caribbean Tales does, but has its problems, too - little to no storyline is probably what grinds most players' gears.
ChipChipperson10: Thanks. I'll check out both. I'm fine with games not having a story or a complicated plot - It's sort of rare these days, I think. I don't really care for that in my games. As long as the game play is solid and fun, that's all that matters.
I liked the game. :) In addition to the features I've already listed, Caribbean Tales offers you a female character in addition to a male one, allows you to choose your starting nation, has quite a few difficulty settings, so you can make the game as difficult as you wish and is generally a title I remember fondly.

There are some occassional bugs. The greatest one I've encountered, I think, is when I boarded an English ship (I was Dutch and they were at war at the time). I proceeded to engage the enemy captain in a fencing duel and killed him.

You can imagine my surprise when I hit the shore of some island and found out that said English captain is not only alive, but is my own officer. :D I could have easily dismissed him, but I found this amusing enough to keep him. What's interesting is that his level was horrific - whereas my character was around level 15, if I remember correctly, his was lvl 50 or so. Naturally, this made him a freaking beast in combat. Ah, good times.
Am looking for a gameplay video on YT, is this by chance "age of pirates carribean tales "?
NuffCatnip: Am looking for a gameplay video on YT, is this by chance "age of pirates carribean tales "?
It is, of course it is:)
NuffCatnip: Am looking for a gameplay video on YT, is this by chance "age of pirates carribean tales "?
wolfsrain: It is, of course it is:)
Thank you! :D
Do they have legal issues or why the different name?
NuffCatnip: Do they have legal issues or why the different name?
Every once in a while, games are released with different titles in different regions.
NuffCatnip: Do they have legal issues or why the different name?
Maighstir: Every once in a while, games are released with different titles in different regions.
Oh, okay, thanks!
wolfsrain: It is, of course it is:)
NuffCatnip: Thank you! :D
Well, the series is called something between the lines of Corsairs in Russia, being released in West under various names. They probably decided to actually have all the games under one name in West, just like they had them in Russia.
NuffCatnip: Thank you! :D
wolfsrain: Well, the series is called something between the lines of Corsairs in Russia, being released in West under various names. They probably decided to actually have all the games under one name in West, just like they had them in Russia.
Thanks for the explanation! :D
This was bugging me more than it should. xD
So I noticed something odd about this game.

The last few times I go to fire it up (doubleclicking on the icon) I'll get a rotating cursor and then nothing. The second time, the little initialization window pops up and I'm good to go (the first time that green text box doesn't pop up).

But here's the odd part. When I plug in my ethernet cord, the game starts up! It's like that first "load" of the game doesn't activate until I connect. Any ideas what's causing this?

I've actually been able to repeat it after it happened the first time. I realized what was going on, when after a long play session I decided to go online... and the game immediately fire up again LOL. Since then I'm pretty sure it's happened every time.

The first shortcut double click "preloads" the game, but it won't actually start until I connect the ethernet. If I doubleclick it a second time (prior to going online) the game starts up just fine.

Win 7 64 bit, the only thing I changed in the config (I think "engine" file?) is to up the game's resolution.
Ixamyakxim: So I noticed something odd about this game.

The last few times I go to fire it up (doubleclicking on the icon) I'll get a rotating cursor and then nothing. The second time, the little initialization window pops up and I'm good to go (the first time that green text box doesn't pop up).

But here's the odd part. When I plug in my ethernet cord, the game starts up! It's like that first "load" of the game doesn't activate until I connect. Any ideas what's causing this?

I've actually been able to repeat it after it happened the first time. I realized what was going on, when after a long play session I decided to go online... and the game immediately fire up again LOL. Since then I'm pretty sure it's happened every time.

The first shortcut double click "preloads" the game, but it won't actually start until I connect the ethernet. If I doubleclick it a second time (prior to going online) the game starts up just fine.

Win 7 64 bit, the only thing I changed in the config (I think "engine" file?) is to up the game's resolution.
Same OS & also upped the res in the engine file. But as of yet I did not had such a problem. Might be because I added this to the game: https://www.gog.com/forum/sea_dogs_series/supermod_available

edit:
I have to add that I sometimes have CTDs when make another captain surrender. Not often; but when it happens its annoying enough. I don't know if that is baggage from the supermod or an inherit problem of the game. Also Beatrice is blonde and not a red head anymore. Not that I mind much; but some might.
Post edited April 04, 2016 by anothername
anothername:
If I do decide to mod, is that a pretty safe site / download / install? I can trust the stuff from there to be viri free?

Oh and one other thing - the first time I "preload" the game and the cursor spins, a box pops up in my lower right update area that says something like "switching to Win 7 Basic Colors" - this never appears to happen.

The SECOND time I doubleclick the icon, this notice doesn't appear and the game loads up.

Later on, when I connect to the internet, that first "preloaded" start of the game loads up properly. Really odd! Anyone have any ideas?