It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An Epic Adventure at Sea

<span class="bold">Sea Dogs</span>, a mixture of RPG, action, trading, strategy, and seafaring, is available now for Windows, DRM-free exclusively on GOG.com!

As you soak in the refreshing breeze of a sunset at sea, the galley heaves wave to wave in anticipation of distant gifts beyond the horizon. There are no two ways about it, <span class="bold">Sea Dogs</span> is heavily inspired by Sid Meier's Pirates!, and bears plenty of resemblance to the much more modern Mount & Blade series. Precisely none of that is a bad thing, as it remains one of the best pirate simulations out there. Make an allegiance, or not, and become a true scallywag, a rogue, a rapscallion of the sea! You'll wander tropical towns scattered across the Caribbean, hire your crew, make a hefty profit off your cargo, and then set sail once more to complete your contracts. Or just pirate away. The world is open, and the choices are yours.

Sail the sun-bathed seas in <span class="bold">Sea Dogs</span>, available now DRM-free exclusively on GOG.com!
Fingers crossed this means Bethesda doesn't have control over Sea Dogs 2 aka Pirates of the Carribean (2003 game), and maybe Disney and Akella can bring that here. I'd definitely buy that for $6 or $10.

Emob78: I don't know why POTC wouldn't be. After all, it was a Disney license developed by Akella... was originally supposed to be Sea Dogs 2. GOG now has the publisher and the dev locked up, so hopefully it will end up here as well.
Grargar: The publisher of POTC is Bethesda...
And they were the publisher for this game, too. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dogs_(video_game]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dogs_(video_game[/url])
Post edited April 02, 2015 by tfishell
high rated
By the way, there is a hidden editor within Sea Dogs :)

To access it, you need to find the file called engine.ini and change the following value

CORE_MODULE core

to

CORE_MODULE tools_launcher

Save and exit and once you launch the game, you should see a whole bunch of extra tools in the main menu :)
Yarr! Count me in! I like a good pirate simulator, even if they're typically not very realistic. Then again, I don't play games for their realism. =P
Though I never played the original, I did play its intended sequel which ended up being Pirates of the Caribbean. I LOVED that game, even if it was absolutely riddled with bugs and glitches. Unfortunately, PotC itself is in Zenimax's hands, so this might be the next best thing.

I'll have to read up on how it compares to the (spiritual) sequel before I buy it.
tfishell: And they were the publisher for this game, too. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dogs_(video_game]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dogs_(video_game[/url])
Indeed. The difference is, though, that POTC is based on a license, while this game doesn't. If the publisher was Disney, it would be easy to have the sequel, but since Disney licensed it to a third party, it ain't that easy.
Never played the original 1987 Pirates! game (before my time, and it'd be too dated for me to get into today). But I was addicted to the Sid Meier remake of Pirates! in 2004. Logged a lot of hours into that one back in the day. Great swashbuckling fun, and didn't get bogged down in a lot of trading or sailing mechanics, focusing mostly on the fencing, looting, and adventuring.

If Sea Dogs is in that same vein, it'd definitely pique my interest.
NoNewTaleToTell: Well I'm definitely interested but I do have three quick questions, is it open world/sea, is the combat real time like in Mount & Blade and do you create your own character like in Mount & Blade?
Just a tiny bump here...
NoNewTaleToTell: Well I'm definitely interested but I do have three quick questions, is it open world/sea, is the combat real time like in Mount & Blade and do you create your own character like in Mount & Blade?
NoNewTaleToTell: Just a tiny bump here...
I played the branded sequel on consoles (Pirates of the Caribbean) and the answer to all these was yes. From the screenshots here, this one looks the same.

Obviously, wait for a more informed answer but if I were you I'd be cautiously hopeful if the above are things you're hoping for.

And for what it's worth, PotC was and still is one of my favorite games - a ton of fun with great RPG aspects and character build options. I had a blast sailing about, exploring and swashbuckling on land, capturing new ships and building up fleets of men, officers and vessels. I think I'm talking myself into grabbing this one LOL.

*edit To ask my own question:

I'm guessing this one has a nice selection of ship upgrades that can be purchased? (Better / More cannon, new weapons for the PC and maybe even officers?) Also, are there missions on islands? Sail to an island, disembark explore loot and fight? Thanks!
Post edited April 02, 2015 by Ixamyakxim
Telika: Absolutely not. Quite straightforward, and almost arcadey.
Thanks.

Can anyone comment on whether the game is buggy? I recall hearing that the sequel was very buggy.
Telika: Absolutely not. Quite straightforward, and almost arcadey.
Grargar: Thanks.

Can anyone comment on whether the game is buggy? I recall hearing that the sequel was very buggy.
I don't remember of bugs, but I played it long ago.

The only two things that bothered me a bit were :

1) it eventually felt a bit empty and repetitive (despite the clumsy-ish town quests with a story I didn't care much for), but that's a bit what these pirate games are about, even Sid Meiers' is about sail-loot-and-repeat.

2) the ships themselves seemed empty, and, given the scale, and modelling, it felt a bit too eerie to not see sailors on the deck. I think this was corrected in the sequel, which might have been more complex and bug-prone. but I haven't played it (I was unhappy about its last minute recuperation by the pirates-of-the-caribbean disney franchise, so i didn't buy it despite having been eagerly followng its development till then).
Telika: I don't remember of bugs, but I played it long ago.

The only two things that bothered me a bit were :

1) it eventually felt a bit empty and repetitive (despite the clumsy-ish town quests with a story I didn't care much for), but that's a bit what these pirate games are about, even Sid Meiers' is about sail-loot-and-repeat.

2) the ships themselves seemed empty, and, given the scale, and modelling, it felt a bit too eerie to not see sailors on the deck. I think this was corrected in the sequel, which might have been more complex and bug-prone. but I haven't played it (I was unhappy about its last minute recuperation by the pirates-of-the-caribbean disney franchise, so i didn't buy it despite having been eagerly followng its development till then).
Thanks for the info. I'll think about it during the weekend.
A great game. I actually have a disc version of it and it's sequel. Don't forget to add the manual.
I hope you release the three sequels because just like this one they are very hard to get.

Pirates of the Caribbean (2003)
Just a cash in as far as the name goes and a few things in the game. The "new horizons" mod is amazing.

Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (2006)
The true sequel to Sea Dogs. It´s story is roughly related to that of Sea Dogs.

Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships (2009)
Once again improved with the "gentlemen of fortune" mod by the makers of "new horizons".
mrgreen9705: Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (2006)
The true sequel to Sea Dogs. It´s story is roughly related to that of Sea Dogs.

Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships (2009)
Had never heard of these ones! How close were they to the gameplay of PotC? Same detail to building a character? Officers to alter ship stats? Land exploration and questing?

Also, any idea of the publisher? I'm curious so I can gauge how likely it is to maybe show up here (also I'm assuming it was PC?).

I'd LOVE to try out a "new" versions of these games!
NoNewTaleToTell: Just a tiny bump here...
That's what she said!
I'll show myself out.
Telika: 2) the ships themselves seemed empty, and, given the scale, and modelling, it felt a bit too eerie to not see sailors on the deck. I think this was corrected in the sequel, which might have been more complex and bug-prone. but I haven't played it (I was unhappy about its last minute recuperation by the pirates-of-the-caribbean disney franchise, so i didn't buy it despite having been eagerly followng its development till then).
I'm not sure if it makes any difference to you, but I can tell you that the POTC license didn't change much about the game. The name was changed (obviously), it had a bit of narration voiced by Keira Knightley and there is a Black Pearl in the game....and that would be the extent of it. Really, it's essentially Sea Dogs II in everything but name.
Post edited April 03, 2015 by Gandos