It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Classic RPG hack'n'slashin'.

<span class="bold">Revenant</span>, an astonishing and supremely fun classic aRPG, is available now on Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Revenant is here today to serve as a fun-filled throwback to how things used to be done back in the day, and a chance to truly hack it like it's 1999. There's a lot to say about Revenant, but no matter what, the keyword is always "fun". In a game all about combat - smooth controls, responsiveness, and that feeling of weight behind your every attack are all-important, and even today Revenant hits the right spots. Despite its age, the colorful backdrops holds up amazingly well and the motion-captured combat continues to surprise with its variety, over-the-top violence, and plenty of dismemberment. There's a few inventive things to be found here as well, including a magic casting system based on combining runes and talismans to uncover stunning and powerful spells that will let you spectacularly clear out rooms with a single gesture. Beyond that, Revenant is a game of loot, loot, loot, plenty of weapons, great character design and most of all... fun.

Hack away at <span class="bold">Revenant</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
Ow yeah, good to see Revenant finally getting released on here! Thank you Gog for all your hard work getting it to work on modern set-ups, keep up the good work!
Pax11: Also, gamma settings seem to be ignored when you change load maps, but not all. Or perhaps some areas are simply oddly dark, but it doesn't make much sense (like not being able to see anything at all in the jail area after talking to the two leaders about Rand (avoiding spoilers).
It is a game engine bug, that the game gets darker on each subsequent load. Workaround is pretty simple: all you need to do is to first use the 'End Module' option which should bring you to main menu and load the game from there.

There should be a support note added shortly, addressing the issue.
I didn't hear about this game until someone mentioned it here but I had forgotten about it as I don't think I read much about it other than what genre it had. It looks interesting.

What's the highest resolution, are framerates optimal (at least no 30FPS limit) and how are the bugs, any game breaking or only minor ones?
Wow GOG, nice surprise and bought.

Btw the soundtrack is in ogg files in a music folder. So it is not announced as bonus, but you can listen to it if you like.
Good game, does it have 360 controller support? The original could use controllers but you had to assign all the buttons manually.
Shadowflight: Good game, does it have 360 controller support? The original could use controllers but you had to assign all the buttons manually.
Probably not. Eidos games weren't too good with controllers. You could try Joy to Key if you really wanna play with a controller.
This is an awesome release to add to the collection! I could never get my copy working on modern systems; it was depressing. Thank you GOG for keeping that promise on continuing to release those gems of the past!
CharlesGrey: All right folks, help me out here: Wasn't there another game with a similar title, from around the same time period, except it was some sort of goth/fantasy FPS type game? I think your player character was some sort of ( fallen? ) angel?

Maybe I'm getting things mixed up here, but that's the game I expected to see, when I saw the title and promo art for this release. I vaguely remember playing a demo of it back in the day... I think my PC was struggling with it back then. :P
There's also Archangel, but that's third person, not FPS, so probably not the game you were thinking of. But it's the one I always recall when others are talking about Requiem: Avenging Angel. ;)

(And there's a module for NWN called Revenant, and even though that's not at all what you meant, I'm still using the opportunity to recommend it, because it's pretty awesome if you like dark mystery RPGs with choice and consequence, like PS:T and Mask of the Betrayer.)
Post edited August 19, 2015 by Leroux
Always wanted to play this game and could never get it to work on modern windows! yaya
Leroux: There's also Archangel, but that's third person, not FPS, so probably not the game you were thinking of. But it's the one I always recall when others are talking about Requiem: Avenging Angel. ;)

(And there's a module for NWN called Revenant, and even though that's not at all what you meant, I'm still using the opportunity to recommend it, because it's pretty awesome if you like dark mystery RPGs with choice and consequence, like PS:T and Mask of the Betrayer.)
Never heard of it before but that game looks pretty cool, actually. Probably yet another game GOG should try to get their hands ( or GOG-bear paws ) on.
ne_zavarj: I wonder if he saw and bought the Gog release .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxESGanJxhM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=encE-bp5_QM
That's a really funny review :)

(of course it is for the original CD release, not the gog.com release, but still very funny)
Could somebody with the GOG version try out the cheats and report back? :) http://www.ign.com/cheats/games/revenant-139566-pc-10364

Also, I assume 3D hardware has simply been disabled for this release and the game uses software renderer? Nothing wrong with that, I was just wondering.
GOG is the man! I've been waiting for this one!
Matewis: Definitely not one of those unfortunately :-\ On the face of it, Blade Sword does look pretty cool though :)
Check out Seal of Evil as well if you want to get into those Chinese Diablo clones, could interest you as well.

Matewis: Perhaps the review I'm vaguely remembering was about Revenant. Who knows.
Haha! Since I'm eventually going to run out of ideas, I was just about to say that the game you are trying to remember might be Revenant after all - best way to find out is to buy and play it :)

Matewis: What adds to the confusing is that Revenant as well as this mystery game comes from a very poorly stored and cataloged inner library of my mind made up of all the hundreds upon hundreds of games I read about in gaming magazines when I was a kid but never got a chance to play(or I did but it was only the demo). Now and again I suddenly remember about one and then decide to look it up, and often I can't remember the name.
I hear you, I hear you...this probably happens to most of us, I've played countless of demos and shareware versions of games many of which I only vaguely remember, I'm just not quite as hellbent as you on figuring out titles when I have these memory blackouts. I've noticed that it will eventually come to me again without force. Someone, somewhere, is going to mention whichever game it is that I forgot about and then I'll remember. Only the Tao knows etc and so on

*gong*

Matewis: The last one nearly drove me crazy because I couldn't remember its name, and I could remember that for a very long time I did remember the name. Luckily one person managed to guess it that time
Ah, I remember seeing the thread and I thought about what it could be but nothing came to mind. I also never played Queen: The eYe, completely forgot about the existence of the game altogether. All that I can recall is reading a rather poor review in one of the German magazines I read at the time, and the whole RL music band soundtrack thing kinda turned me off, imho it's immersion breaking to hear songs you already know when you're playing a sci-fi or fantasy game.
Odd, I thought GOG already had this game? I must have mixed it up with some other hack'n'slash game from the same era, possibly Darkstone...

I think I have this game on CD though (at least that guy on the poster looks familiar), so it'll have to wait for a sale before I might buy it.