It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Classic RPG hack'n'slashin'.

<span class="bold">Revenant</span>, an astonishing and supremely fun classic aRPG, is available now on Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Revenant is here today to serve as a fun-filled throwback to how things used to be done back in the day, and a chance to truly hack it like it's 1999. There's a lot to say about Revenant, but no matter what, the keyword is always "fun". In a game all about combat - smooth controls, responsiveness, and that feeling of weight behind your every attack are all-important, and even today Revenant hits the right spots. Despite its age, the colorful backdrops holds up amazingly well and the motion-captured combat continues to surprise with its variety, over-the-top violence, and plenty of dismemberment. There's a few inventive things to be found here as well, including a magic casting system based on combining runes and talismans to uncover stunning and powerful spells that will let you spectacularly clear out rooms with a single gesture. Beyond that, Revenant is a game of loot, loot, loot, plenty of weapons, great character design and most of all... fun.

Hack away at <span class="bold">Revenant</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
"I have not been with a woman for quite some time."

I'm going to buy this game just because you featured this particular line in a screenshot.

I have no idea why you would do this, but it certainly made me laugh quite loudly.

However, regardless of how that scenario will play out, it will have to be a disappointment. No way it can live up to the hype.
It does work for me on Win 8.1 if downloaded directly and not through the Galaxy client. Intro cinematic works, also.

A few bugs, such as Sardok's dialogue not coming through when discussing what to do with the guard Rand. it amkes it seem like Tendrik makes some non-sequitor-seeming comments after Sardok makes some exaggerated beard strokes (I assume that is when he would speak). The magic scroll disappears after you open it. Since Sardok tells me later to study it, I wonder if it is supposed to disappear, or that is a bug.

Also, gamma settings seem to be ignored when you change load maps, but not all. Or perhaps some areas are simply oddly dark, but it doesn't make much sense (like not being able to see anything at all in the jail area after talking to the two leaders about Rand (avoiding spoilers).

Some of these may be pre-existing bugs that are just in the game. So long as I open it from a desktop short-cut and don't try to run it through Galaxy, it is working well enough overall in Win 8.1 with the mentioned exceptions.

Pax
awalterj: Is the game you had in mind old as in old old early 90s like The Summoning or just old as in late 90s like Dink Smallwood?

That description fits a number of games, most notably Ultima 8 which surely isn't the game you're looking for but is perhaps the most aggravating case of where the publisher deathaxed a game into being released prematurely. One of EA's most unforgiving crimes against gamedom.
Late 90s definitely or perhaps very early 2000s (<2003) from what I remember. Like Revenant and Baldur's Gate it had highly detailed pre-rendered backgrounds. It was just one review though, and unfortunately I can't really remember any other details. The only reason I remember it at all is because I was very disappointing at the time when I read the review, since it was a game that had intrigued me for a long time. I've always been curious about Revenant, which is why I started to wonder whether or not it had been a review for Revenant. What little I do remember doesn't quite seem to fit with Revenant so I have no clue :-\
WOW! I remember loving this game back in the day. I kind of considered it Diablo 1.5. Unfortunately I was never able to get it to run smoothly on newer PCs. Does anyone know if the save system has been modified? I remember it having the absolute worst save system I've ever seen. By the end of the game, a single saved game would consist of millions of tiny (~16 byte) files. It would take forever to save/load and would waste a ton of HD space due to slack space issues. This was back when PCs were just moving from FAT16 to FAT32.
For those that would like a copy: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/revenant_giveaway
Iain: Also now tried downloading the standalone installer direct from the website, ran as admin, installed to D:\ root and still not going on Windows 10.

Tried disabling the preload, disabling the extra bit in the advanced menu and trying software rendering but no luck at all. Guess I am going to have to just install it with Galaxy again and wait and hope that GOG actually fix it.

Until they do I think they need to remove the 10 from the game page as it is not working on Windows 10. I have now given up on it as sick of having to restart my PC.

Thankfully Heimdall arrived this morning for my Atari STe so can get my ARPG fix with Core Designs classic Viking themed game.
Hi Iain,

Please send us a Support ticket as we tested the game on Windows 10 and it worked on our systems. Perhaps there was an update we need to look into but we can't be sure unless we get a ticket from you :)
Iain: Also now tried downloading the standalone installer direct from the website, ran as admin, installed to D:\ root and still not going on Windows 10.

Tried disabling the preload, disabling the extra bit in the advanced menu and trying software rendering but no luck at all. Guess I am going to have to just install it with Galaxy again and wait and hope that GOG actually fix it.

Until they do I think they need to remove the 10 from the game page as it is not working on Windows 10. I have now given up on it as sick of having to restart my PC.

Thankfully Heimdall arrived this morning for my Atari STe so can get my ARPG fix with Core Designs classic Viking themed game.
Enjoy Heimdall on your Atari ST. I do miss having mine as there was a lot of great games on it like carriar command, Damaclos, midwinter. sigh happy days

JudasIscariot: Hi Iain,

Please send us a Support ticket as we tested the game on Windows 10 and it worked on our systems. Perhaps there was an update we need to look into but we can't be sure unless we get a ticket from you :)
Will do mate, just a little rushed as a lot has been happening since we last spoke.

Heading out to kit my son out ready for school soon so I will endeavor to do the support ticket when I get back in later this evening, will make sure I put down everything I have tried!
Crosmando: Does this one use 3dfx emulation?
Do you know anyother Isometric CRPGs? Both Diablo like/ARPGs and Traditional Dialoge CRPGs?

I remember one that has a Japanese Samurai theme.
Throne of Darkness I believe
I remember seeing a lot of magazine ads for this one, back in the day. Seemed like a nice one, but I could never play it. Maybe soon, who knows? It certainly ticks the nostalgia vein in me.

:)
Crosmando: Throne of Darkness I believe
Cool.

Anyother Isometric RPGs we are missing?

Other than Torchlight 2, Fallout games, and Path of Exile and Diablo games?
Post edited August 18, 2015 by Elmofongo
This reminds me that the review system on gog is terrible. This is the 4th time I am writing my "second review" which is not published. lol.

edit: And there is no way of checking whats going on. The moment you click "post" it vanishes into thin air. It would be nice if we could see what we wrote and a "post pending" remark on it.
Post edited August 18, 2015 by Engerek01
aluinie: Thankfully Heimdall arrived this morning for my Atari STe so can get my ARPG fix with Core Designs classic Viking themed game.
Heimdall! That was a name that came up occasionally back in 2013 when I and others were doing rights' research. Be top to see 1 & 2 here (DOS is all that'd happen though, of course).
Never played this one, but looks interesting. Wishlisted

Crosmando: Throne of Darkness I believe
Elmofongo: Cool.

Anyother Isometric RPGs we are missing?

Other than Torchlight 2, Fallout games, and Path of Exile and Diablo games?
Titan Quest
Freedom Force series
Dungeon Siege series
Fate series