It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Start your rampage at 50-70% off, more retro than ever before.

<span class="bold">Retro City Rampage DX</span> - The maddest mashup of video game memes and memorable moments starts a righteous mess right where it belongs… on your retro MS-DOS device, and your modern Linux computer.

Get in on the more-retro-than-ever rampage with a 70% discount until Friday, July 31, 4:59 PM GMT. If you happen to miss the first deal, you can still grab the game at 50% off for the following few days until Wednesday, August 5, 4:59 PM GMT!

Get in the car, drive, kill someone, avoid the police, find the police, get out of the car, ROCKET LAUNCHER, pedestrians drop coins--collect the coins, punch a cop, KABOOM, get underwater, jump, fly, CONTRA LEVEL, ride a bike, flamethrower, METAL GEAR! Plus a NES-inspired monophonic soundtrack by Freaky DNA (Leonard Paul), virt (Jake Kaufman), and Norrin Radd (Matt Creamer).

Isn’t this everything you’d ever want from an indie game but couldn’t find anywhere? Well now you can, including that old MS-DOS machine you haven't gotten around to getting rid of, in what is undoubtedly a marvel of modern game programming magic. We really don't understand the "how". Today also marks the release of <span class="bold">Retro City Rampage DX</span> on Linux in an awesome gesture to our community of penguin-friendly gamers.
waited for the linux version and there it is - instabuy :)
GOG.com: Isn’t this everything you’d ever want from an indie game but couldn’t find anywhere? Well now you can, including that old MS-DOS machine you haven't gotten around to getting rid of, in what is undoubtedly a marvel of modern game programming magic.
How... Just... How?!?!

Oh damn, this is too much awesome for my face... I think I'll lie down a little.
SirPrimalform: NES inspired monophonic soundtrack? I don't get it, the NES had 3-voice polyphony even without the expansion chips you sometimes got in Famicom games. PC-speaker is the first thing that springs to mind when I think of monophonic music actually.
"Monophonic" meaning that all 3 channels can only play one note (or tone) at a time each. As opposed to polyphonic which allows multiple notes in one channel.
Post edited August 14, 2015 by MusicallyInspire
MusicallyInspire: "Monophonic" meaning that all 3 channels can only play one note (or tone) at a time each. As opposed to polyphonic which allows multiple notes in one channel.
That is a very strange definition you're using there. Each channel is by definition monophonic, but when you have 3 of them it makes 3 voice polyphony. That's like saying a choir is monophonic because each person can only sing one note at once, or that a guitar is monophonic because each string can only play one note at a time.
Or if you want a more technological example, it's like saying the SNES is monophonic because each of its 8 channels can only play one note at a time. How about an analogue synthesiser then? Is the Prophet 5 monophonic because its 5 voices can only play one note at a time each?

Polyphony is nothing to do with whether it's on one channel or 3, if there are multiple notes happening simultaneously then it is polyphonic*.

Sure enough, monophonic means monophonic: https://youtu.be/xTyj5d_TbSc?t=39s
The DOS version uses the PC speaker, which I gave as an example of monophonic music in my initial post. It sounds to me to be much more inspired by other monophonic game music such as other PC speaker soundtracks, but that's just my opinion.

*If you want to get really technical, it could instead be homophony if they all share the same rhythm. The music would be monophonic if all the voices/channels were playing in unison (or octaved).
Post edited August 14, 2015 by SirPrimalform
MusicallyInspire: "Monophonic" meaning that all 3 channels can only play one note (or tone) at a time each. As opposed to polyphonic which allows multiple notes in one channel.
SirPrimalform: That is a very strange definition you're using there. Each channel is by definition monophonic, but when you have 3 of them it makes 3 voice polyphony. That's like saying a choir is monophonic because each person can only sing one note at once, or that a guitar is monophonic because each string can only play one note at a time.
Or if you want a more technological example, it's like saying the SNES is monophonic because each of its 8 channels can only play one note at a time. How about an analogue synthesiser then? Is the Prophet 5 monophonic because its 5 voices can only play one note at a time each?

Polyphony is nothing to do with whether it's on one channel or 3, if there are multiple notes happening simultaneously then it is polyphonic*.

Sure enough, monophonic means monophonic: https://youtu.be/xTyj5d_TbSc?t=39s
The DOS version uses the PC speaker, which I gave as an example of monophonic music in my initial post. It sounds to me to be much more inspired by other monophonic game music such as other PC speaker soundtracks, but that's just my opinion.

*If you want to get really technical, it could instead be homophony if they all share the same rhythm. The music would be monophonic if all the voices/channels were playing in unison (or octaved).
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. The DOS version uses PC Speaker only. That just furthers the point of their poor choice of words. It's too bad they didn't support Tandy 3-voice. :P
Post edited August 22, 2015 by MusicallyInspire