It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Capitalism, ho!

<span class="bold">Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale</span>, a business-sim jRPG reversal, & <span class="bold">Chantelise: A Tale of Two Sisters</span> a tough and classic action jRPG, are available now for Windows - DRM-free on GOG.com 60% off on the <span class="bold">Weekend Promo: #StreamTeam Selection</span>.

You've (probably) never played a jRPG like this before: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale pulls the ol' switcheroo. An adventure awaits, a true challenge, but can you ever be prepared for this sort of thing? In a wonderfully entertaining twist of RPG, you're about to get more coin than ever, and take on an inventory-management trial by fire. In Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale you get own a store. Anything goes in retail, whether you play the market for the best prices or adventure in the wild for the sickest loot, your goal is to create a true emporium of powerful weapons, amazing potions, and the finest gear that lots and lots of money can buy - the prime destination for wandering adventurers and aspiring heroes. A business sim, a dungeon crawler, and a text-based adventure combine to offer one of the most unique titles ever, and even a passing interest in the concept should be enough to warrant a try. You won't regret it.

If you're looking for a break of pace from bookkeeping and management, Chantelise: A Tale of Two Sisters is the sister game to Recettear - an action jRPG in the vein of Ys, with a sprinkle of Zelda-style world exploration. With plenty of great humor, adorable art, and familiar Recettear characters, locations, and lore - there's a special kind of charm to be enjoyed here. But beware, saving the world isn't easy - preparation and the right gear are key, but we hear there's a good shop around just for that.

1) Open shop. 2) Acquire goods. 3) ??? 4) Profit in <span class="bold">Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale</span>, and bash some skulls in <span class="bold">Chantelise: A Tale of Two Sisters</span>, available now - DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will last throughout the <span class="bold">Weekend Promo: #StreamTeam Selection</span>.
I want to get so bad but at 7.99 its quite pricey for a game that has been released for quite some times. At least I managed to convince some people to get it.

Added to wishlist for the probable christmas sale.
Post edited October 18, 2015 by chlorique
I posted as fair a review as I could for the game just now... though it doesn't show up on the list of reviews. I imagine there's a waiting period before they show up :\

Anyway, merchant simulation games are sorta my 'thing', I like running a business and trying to make it work.

i think this game tried to break up the monotony with the dungeon crawling aspect, but doesn't it get frustrating with the limited bag space? You need lots of alchemy ingredients for crafting, and your inventory limit makes it very impractical that you'll get the necessary things. Even if you do, you won't be able to craft very many articles, so dungeon crawling is only useful in unlocking new playable characters more than anything else.

I'm working on a challenge run, where I only open the shop on Sunday, when the guild is closed, and try to just dungeon crawl for ingredients, and hopefully craft my way to success.

I don't think it's possible on 'loop 1'.

Thoughts?

[Edit:]

Well I tried to go dungeon crawling as much as possible, and only open the shop on the days guildhall was close, or when there was 1 time block left in the day.
I would always try and check town events first thing in the morning, go dungeon crawling, and then if any more town events in the evening, check those. If you check evening events too, you run out of time to run the shop.

the other part of the challenge was only to use fusion, and thus only buy items from the market/guildmaster that you could fuse.

Long story short, this challenge can't work.

You can only fuse at shop level 5+
You don't get that if you don't run the store.

If you only sell what you find in the dungeons, you will find yourself with decent loot, but the townsfolk won't have leveled up enough to buy those items, because you haven't run your shop enough, and they haven't bought enough lower-level goods.

Also, not running the shop a lot makes you not level up as fast as you need for fusion. Furthermore, you won't have run your shop enough to unlock some of the potential guild members.

While some guild members are unlocked if you find them first in dungeons, they then have to 'show up' in your shop. not running your shop enough prevents that random event from occurring.

So in conclusion:
You have to dungeon crawl, yes, but you also have to run your shop quite a bit. Hopefully you can run your shop at least twice per day most days, and dungeon crawl maybe two or three times per week. This seems like a fair balance. You must level up the townsfolk enough to keep pace with your debt, because it doesn't do you any good to have 50K items when they cannot afford them.
Post edited October 25, 2015 by xenxander