It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Somewhere, over the railroad.

<span class="bold">Railroad Tycoon Bundle</span>, which contains the three games that put this sub-genre on track, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 66% launch discount. Buying each game individually grants you a 50% discount, instead.

There is something strangely exhilarating, wondrous, and just downright fun to playing with trains. Could be the fact that trains give the impression of moving on their own, almost like a living organism. Could also be about the unmistakably retro feel of the locomotive, which makes it seem like a relic of a bygone era that is still somehow relevant. Mostly, though, trains are cool because the views associated with riding them are consistently breathtaking.

To capture the magic of what the railroad meant for human transportation, one must go back to 1804, then slowly work their way closer and closer to modern times. <span class="bold">Railroad 2: Platinum</span> and <span class="bold">Railroad Tycoon 3</span> are the best express tickets for such a journey, letting you build whole networks of railroad tracks, closely inspect the different types of available train engines, and take in the awesome landscapes. Once you have absorbed and mastered the craft of railroad management, ask the conductor to set course for <span class="bold">Sid Meier's Railroads!</span>. It is here that you will put those strategy/simulation skills to the test and try to build the grandest rail empire in the nation, despite your opponents' shrewd efforts to derail you.

Catch a ride to the history and challenges of the locomotive in the <span class="bold">Railroad Tycoon Bundle</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 66% bundle discount and the 50% individual discounts will last until April 5, 13:59 BST / 5:59 AM PDT / 8:59 AM EDT.
HereForTheBeer: One of the few game manuals of mine that was dog-eared. Referred back to that one a lot.
HunchBluntley: One of the reasons I don't often buy old digital games of certain types that were prone to having bulky manuals is that I don't like .PDF manuals much in general (though they're much better than nothing), and especially dislike having to Alt-Tab out of a game to look something up in one every couple minutes. It's the main reason I never did much in King of Dragon Pass, despite really digging the game overall.
Yeah, PDFs are good for certain things but game manuals somehow lose something when converted over. Can't quite explain it, though you touched on a big inconvenience.
i don't get the point of this games, whats so interesting about watching trains drive?
apehater: i don't get the point of this games, whats so interesting about watching trains drive?
Trains don;t drive, they ride. :P

On a more serious note, it is a very involved economic simulation and it was trains that built modern civilization around the world as we know it, and these games touch on a lot of that.

On a more romantic note, some people just have an inherent love and fascination with trains. Growing up next to tracks and a 150 year old station I did, but my love is nothing compared to most others.

The gazillions of dollars spent each year on model trains isn't coming from people that loved models, it's people that love trains.
Post edited April 01, 2016 by tinyE
apehater: i don't get the point of this games, whats so interesting about watching trains drive?
tinyE: Trains don;t drive, they ride. :P

On a more serious note, it is a very involved economic simulation and it was trains that built modern civilization around the world as we know it, and these games touch on a lot of that.

On a more romantic note, some people just have an inherent love and fascination with trains. Growing up next to tracks and a 150 year old station I did, but my love is nothing compared to most others.

The gazillions of dollars spent each year on model trains isn't coming from people that loved models, it's people that love trains.
interesting. it seems, that i haven't thought enough about it. now that i rethink it, in fallout or pillars of eternity i watch a person walk (instead of a train ride) but with fights and some managment inbetween.
apehater: interesting. it seems, that i haven't thought enough about it. now that i rethink it, in fallout or pillars of eternity i watch a person walk (instead of a train ride) but with fights and some managment inbetween.
I would add my little two cents to tinyE answer's ;)
There are some people who love trains, the "mechanics" (like some others with tanks, old cars, planes, guns, etc...), the history who is related.... For these kind of people (myself included), watching an old train is very appreciated :) (I find that they are beautiful machinery)
And in these games, there is also the scheduling/planning aspect (placing rails, organizing traffic), financial aspect (issuing bonds, buying actions etc), "managing" aspects (your enterprise must do profits, you must manage your machines : initial and running costs, impact of the economy on the industries you decided to deserve with your trains...), and a lot more. Of course, each game of this kind didn't have every of these aspects developed at the same points as others (in fact, for 2 transport-managing games, things could be very different, like any other kind of games).

Hope this will lighten you even more on the question ;)
apehater: interesting. it seems, that i haven't thought enough about it. now that i rethink it, in fallout or pillars of eternity i watch a person walk (instead of a train ride) but with fights and some managment inbetween.
Splatsch: I would add my little two cents to tinyE answer's ;)
There are some people who love trains, the "mechanics" (like some others with tanks, old cars, planes, guns, etc...), the history who is related.... For these kind of people (myself included), watching an old train is very appreciated :) (I find that they are beautiful machinery)
And in these games, there is also the scheduling/planning aspect (placing rails, organizing traffic), financial aspect (issuing bonds, buying actions etc), "managing" aspects (your enterprise must do profits, you must manage your machines : initial and running costs, impact of the economy on the industries you decided to deserve with your trains...), and a lot more. Of course, each game of this kind didn't have every of these aspects developed at the same points as others (in fact, for 2 transport-managing games, things could be very different, like any other kind of games).

Hope this will lighten you even more on the question ;)
thanks, my video game train experience taught me that they're full of zombies :)
MWink: It's hard to explain. I guess I just enjoy setting up a big rail network, connecting all the cities, figuring out the most efficient routes, upgrading trains and cities. I feel the complexity level is just right for me. It's not too simple, nor is it overwhelmingly complex. I just find it kind of relaxing, except when my games get derailed by bugs.
I see ! And I understand a lot more the mixed reviews : fans of previous episodes were certainly expecting an heavier managing game.
But you made it sound interesting to try, and so I've bought the bundle (I was craving to play again Railroad Tycoon 2, and the 3 has so many positive reviews !) and I tried it a little : it's exactly what you say. I love managing games, but Railroads! seems to be perfect when you want to relax a little while building a rail network :) (if you forget some flaws it seems to have of course)
Thanks for your opinion ! :D

You're welcome :)
Ahah ! XD
If only. This way, the passengers carriage wouldn't depreciate even if the travel would be several months long :P A good way to make more profits ! ;)
Post edited April 01, 2016 by Splatsch
I'm going to get RRT just so that I can name my player character John Galt.

Then I'll driive my company into the ground, and keep on digging until I reach either the center of the earth, or the lows that the republican presidential campaign has sunk to, whatever's lowest.
Does the GoG version of Sid Meirs Railroads have the 3 GB Enabler?
Maxvorstadt: Does the GoG version of Sid Meirs Railroads have the 3 GB Enabler?
You mean the fix that allows the game to run on systems with 4GB and up RAM? If so, then I think we do as I don't recall us having a machine with anything less than 4 GB RAM.
Maxvorstadt: Does the GoG version of Sid Meirs Railroads have the 3 GB Enabler?
JudasIscariot: You mean the fix that allows the game to run on systems with 4GB and up RAM? If so, then I think we do as I don't recall us having a machine with anything less than 4 GB RAM.
Yeah, I mean the fix that allows Railroads to use 3 GB of RAM and more. So, this sounds good. Hm, have to buy the bundle then. :-)
In my disk version of Railroad Tycoon 2 the map scrolls extremely fast when I move the mouse cursor to the border of the screen and it's very hard to position the map that way. So I have to use the mini-map for it. And as far as I can see there's no setting to adjust the scrolling speed of the map.

Is this also the case for the GOG version or is that problem fixed?

Or is this a problem which only occurs under Wine?
Post edited April 05, 2016 by eiii
eiii: In my disk version of Railroad Tycoon 2 the map scrolls extremely fast when I move the mouse cursor to the border of the screen and it's very hard to position the map that way. So I have to use the mini-map for it. And as far as I can see there's no setting to adjust the scrolling speed of the map.

Is this also the case for the GOG version or is that problem fixed?

Or is this a problem which only occurs under Wine?
I have installed the GOG version wrapped with Wine and no addons. The map scrolls nicely. It looks like the problem was solved.
Post edited April 06, 2016 by tokisto
tokisto: I have installed the GOG version wrapped with Wine and no addons. The map scrolls nicely. It looks like the problem was solved.
As I missed the end of the promo it goes to the wishlist now. Thank you!
Is this map working with the Gog version of RT II ?

https://forum.dune2k.com/files/file/1515-us-history/
Post edited August 20, 2017 by Painted_Doll