It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Somewhere, over the railroad.

<span class="bold">Railroad Tycoon Bundle</span>, which contains the three games that put this sub-genre on track, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 66% launch discount. Buying each game individually grants you a 50% discount, instead.

There is something strangely exhilarating, wondrous, and just downright fun to playing with trains. Could be the fact that trains give the impression of moving on their own, almost like a living organism. Could also be about the unmistakably retro feel of the locomotive, which makes it seem like a relic of a bygone era that is still somehow relevant. Mostly, though, trains are cool because the views associated with riding them are consistently breathtaking.

To capture the magic of what the railroad meant for human transportation, one must go back to 1804, then slowly work their way closer and closer to modern times. <span class="bold">Railroad 2: Platinum</span> and <span class="bold">Railroad Tycoon 3</span> are the best express tickets for such a journey, letting you build whole networks of railroad tracks, closely inspect the different types of available train engines, and take in the awesome landscapes. Once you have absorbed and mastered the craft of railroad management, ask the conductor to set course for <span class="bold">Sid Meier's Railroads!</span>. It is here that you will put those strategy/simulation skills to the test and try to build the grandest rail empire in the nation, despite your opponents' shrewd efforts to derail you.

Catch a ride to the history and challenges of the locomotive in the <span class="bold">Railroad Tycoon Bundle</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 66% bundle discount and the 50% individual discounts will last until April 5, 13:59 BST / 5:59 AM PDT / 8:59 AM EDT.
Never played any railroad simulation before, if I like SimCity will I like these?
MWink: I've always LOVED Sid Meier's Railroads!
Splatsch: I see mixed opinions about this one... What makes you love it ?
It's hard to explain. I guess I just enjoy setting up a big rail network, connecting all the cities, figuring out the most efficient routes, upgrading trains and cities. I feel the complexity level is just right for me. It's not too simple, nor is it overwhelmingly complex. I just find it kind of relaxing, except when my games get derailed by bugs.

haydenaurion: Never played any railroad simulation before, if I like SimCity will I like these?
Quite possibly. I'm a big fan of SimCity 2000 - 4.
Post edited March 30, 2016 by MWink
MWink: It's hard to explain. I guess I just enjoy setting up a big rail network, connecting all the cities, figuring out the most efficient routes, upgrading trains and cities. I feel the complexity level is just right for me. It's not too simple, nor is it overwhelmingly complex. I just find it kind of relaxing, except when my games get derailed by bugs.

haydenaurion: Never played any railroad simulation before, if I like SimCity will I like these?
MWink: Quite possibly. I'm a big fan of SimCity 2000 - 4.
Cool. Do 2 & 3 have a sandbox mode like SimCity?
MWink: It's hard to explain. I guess I just enjoy setting up a big rail network, connecting all the cities, figuring out the most efficient routes, upgrading trains and cities. I feel the complexity level is just right for me. It's not too simple, nor is it overwhelmingly complex. I just find it kind of relaxing, except when my games get derailed by bugs.

haydenaurion: Cool. Do 2 & 3 have a sandbox mode like SimCity?
Good question.
tinyE: Good question.
haydenaurion: Sandbox Mode.
Railroad Tycoon 2 does have a sandbox mode in difficulty settings when selecting a map.

MWink: Quite possibly. I'm a big fan of SimCity 2000 - 4.
Do you know if there a way to reverse the trains if they get stuck in Sid Meier's Railroads?

IronArcturus: Do you know if there a way to reverse the trains if they get stuck in Sid Meier's Railroads?
Try changing the route order. Maybe if you delete the current destination and then place it back in the loop after it gets moving to the next place...

Going off some old memories there - and based on the other two titles - so this may be completely the wrong way to do it.
haydenaurion: Sandbox Mode.
Darvond: Railroad Tycoon 2 does have a sandbox mode in difficulty settings when selecting a map.
Nice. Well, looks like i'm buying all the 2K releases then.
I'm having a brain fart. How do I add this to my cart instead of buy it now? I want to get some other games. Thanks.
HereForTheBeer: Try changing the route order. Maybe if you delete the current destination and then place it back in the loop after it gets moving to the next place...

Going off some old memories there - and based on the other two titles - so this may be completely the wrong way to do it.
That was the weird part, it refused to let me delete any part of the route. I really don't understand it.
BubbaSatori: I'm having a brain fart. How do I add this to my cart instead of buy it now? I want to get some other games. Thanks.
Add them one by one through their gamecards. Once you have all games from a bundle in the cart, you shold see the bigger discount on the check out page. Then add the other games.
Post edited March 30, 2016 by animalmother2105
I'd still love too see the original RRT added here. Any chance for that?!
Yay! Thanks for RR3, it was a bit tricky to get it fully work on modern systems :)
Splatsch: Interesting :) May I ask why you don't like Railroads ?
I just don't seem to be able to get in to that cartoonish model railway look of it. Plus its a lot more streamlined/dumbed down in comparison to the other two games in the bundle. It does have one good side which is batter ui that doesn't take half of the screen away as with railroad tycoon 2+3.
tinyE: I don't need a manual [...]
This part ^ ...
Seems to belie this part:
RT 2 starts off with a map, that's it. XD It doesn't give you a clue as to what the hell your objective is. I ended up just clicking on buttons until it stopped telling me I couldn't do something.
Games as old as the first couple Railroad Tycoons generally assume that the player has R'dTFM (and often require the player to).