It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The terrors of terraforming.

Pandora: First Contact Gold Edition is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 69% launch discount until December 26.
Power struggles, greed, and misguided ideas have left Earth in tatters. Now Pandora is to be the incubator of humanity's last hope for prosperity. And yet, giant monsters and hostile flora prove to be quite the challenge for the factions, as they struggle tame the land, develop new technologies, strike uneasy alliances, and utilize all their 4X strategies, one turn at a time.

Check out the rest of the Slitherine Ltd. space epics which arrived together with this at GOG.com.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited December 05, 2017 by maladr0Id
Mr_GeO: Ok, what exactly is a "gold edition" here? Is it different from release available on This Other Digital Platform That Should Not Be Named Here?. Most imprtantly - does it contains 'Eclipse of Nashira' DLC?
Because in vanilla version (at least in version released on This Other... etc AI is - there's no other word for it, believe me - clinicaly retarded, to the point when it making the game borderline unplayable.
JudasIscariot: Yes, it contains the 'Eclipse of Nashira' DLC :)

The Gold Edition is basically the game + DLC all in one.
So hey JD tell me bud: beta options for the Linux release? I'm asking this since I once read in the Steam forums that the updates (made by the community and such) would roll out on the Windows release and stuff...

thanks pal!
victorchopin: SLITHERINE?!!!?
HERE?!!?

*judgment day tune rolls on*

AEEE YEAAAH
book99: Holy! How the? What the?

Wow. I am going to be on guard for the second coming now.
B--b-b-b-b-b-battlestar Galactica eh eh ?! Say it louder man, can't hear ya! :P
Post edited December 05, 2017 by victorchopin
victorchopin: SLITHERINE?!!!?
HERE?!!?

*judgment day tune rolls on*

AEEE YEAAAH
book99: Holy! How the? What the?

Wow. I am going to be on guard for the second coming now.
We're covered pal ;P
High hopes to see more Slith titles in here. Learning curve + satisfaction at its best I might add!!

ps: Mare Nostrvm/ Qvadriga / Battlestar Galactica would fit completely in here!
I remember this one from the time when every 4x game, for some reason, looked like a Civ5 mod. IIRC, the initial release wasn't that stellar but the patches improved it.

The description is very reminiscent of Alpha Centauri.
Great game (very war-centric 4X sci-fi),
well exploited Alpha Centauri inspirations (terraforming, units workshop, infiltration…),
poor diplomacy system (writing is decent overall, but catastrophic in diplomacy screens),
WTFesque pricing (I got it much cheaper on release day, a couple years ago).
why no achievements, eh ? :(
Looks like some nice releases today. Unfortunately only one of them comes with Linux support.
Just FYI/excitement: Devs (under Slitherine) are prepping (search the slitherine twitch channel) their next 4xTBS iteration: Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_Workshop_video_games)

So, best wishes then.
musteriuz: Okay, maybe I misunderstand something, but it looks more RTS than 4X to me???
IainMcNeil: This is a turn based 4X game, not an RTS. It is about founding a colony on an alien planet and dealing with the indigenous life and other factions from earth.

Think Alpha Centauri and Beyond Earth.
OK, thanks then. Even though I own SMAC, I've never played it yet. So from your description it sounds like 4X on a planet rather than in a universe? Wishlisted anyway.
Sorry for posting. I will never post here again.
Post edited December 06, 2017 by Zandolf
Bought it, tried it.
Unfortunately, the game seems to be at the same pitiful state as the Steam release. DLC (btw, thank you GoG for not going into full scrooge mode and selling it separately) ironed out some of the worst technical issues, but main problems with AI and gameplay are not fixed. AI is still just spaming hundreds of high tier units out of thin air and researching technologies without a need of required money, resources or even a labour force. Aliens are still much more aggressive (and stronger) towards human player. AI attitude is a still roller coaster without any logic or reason behind it.

Well, I've got it pretty cheap (nice discount GoG, thank you), but being a sucker for 4x civ'esque games (especially sci-fi themed) I hoped that it has improved since 2013. Sadly, it does not.
Slitherine: Games so overpriced that they need a 69% discount just to appear vaguely buyable.
Crosmando: Slitherine: Games so overpriced that they need a 69% discount just to appear vaguely buyable.
Dude. How are they overpriced?. Launch discount seems very very very reasonable considering the content you get (pretty good games)...Considering the AU pricing of games ........i think the prices are more than reasonable.
What is the game's version? I bought it on Matrix but they never bothered to update it to the latest version (currently 1.6.7). Instead of releasing the latest offline patch they suggest to use the autoupdater.
Unfortunately the game got really bad reviews. And now four years after release they dare to put it up for full price on GOG? Crazy.

Nevertheless I might try it out myself one day when it is super cheap.
YaroslavUSSR: What is the game's version? I bought it on Matrix but they never bothered to update it to the latest version (currently 1.6.7). Instead of releasing the latest offline patch they suggest to use the autoupdater.
I wish GOG would display version numbers on their gamecards.
Post edited December 06, 2017 by Trilarion
Zandolf: it's RTS. nm.
No it is a turn based 4X game. Why do people keep thinking it is RTS?