It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brought to you by GOG.com

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, the accessible, Panzer-like grand strategy classics, are available now DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span>, available for Windows, is a spiritual sequel from the studio behind the acclaimed Panzer General series - an improvement over the classic, but one that retains the same feel and concepts as its inspiration. Once more we return to the overhead battlefields of World War II in a series of quick-play scenarios and full-blown campaigns: everything from Pearl Harbor to hypothetical invasion scenarios is here, all packaged in a relatively newbie-friendly grand-strategy package. <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> takes that same experience and sets it in a fantasy universe. This one's for you if you're a fan of large-scale hex-based battlefields and steampunk-infused fantasy. Fantasy General is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> are being published by GOG.com. We are happy to release these titles not on behalf of another party, but by acting as the sole publisher for the very first time!

Unleash your inner armchair general with <span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
synfresh: There is a small but vocal minority of GoG users that can't stand the fact that GoG is now in the 'run games through a client' business, no matter how optional it is.
skeletonbow: Just imagine how quiet and peaceful it will be here should they decide to stop participating here end their patronage. The gains would outweigh the loss IMHO, but time will tell wont it. ;)
It will be awesome. Just like Steam is!
dudalb: OK, E.A. then.
But GoG has published several games from the Sid Meire catalog,including a couple of Firaxis games. so still hope that we will get Meire's Civil war games.
And I jus saw that GOG is now publishing games. Hopefully their acquisition of two of the general games means they got the rights to more SSI classics.
But does EA really retain the rights to those two games, or were they acquired by Take-Two, along with Firaxis? Nobody knows and EA doesn't help by not having released a single game here, ever since last June.
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Grargar
dudalb: Hopefully the first of more releases from the SSI catalog of wargames.

Speaking of Wargames,since GOG does have a deal with Firaxis, maybe there is hope for Sid Meire's Gettysburg and it's sequel, Sid Miere's Antietam.
Well I think we all should play the games by Sid Meire's, Sid Miere's, Sid Mayre and Sid Moira, but not Sid Meier's(s) ones :P
tfishell: No but we know his email address and that he sometimes responds, so it might actually be worth at least trying to get SOME kind of response. For now, maybe you want to try emailing him, Barry? (And definitely mention that exclusivity quote!)
Barry_Woodward: Let me know his email via PM and I'll see what I can do.
Just tell Gabe Newell: << On Steam FAQ you said: "8. Do you require exclusivity for titles you sell on Steam?
We think you should get your game in front of as many people as you can, therefore we do not require exclusivity on titles."

Mr. Newell, put your money where your mouth is and actually release YOUR games in front of as many people as you can. Show you have balls, release your games on GOG".>>
Barry_Woodward: Let me know his email via PM and I'll see what I can do.
GabiMoro: Just tell Gabe Newell: << On Steam FAQ you said: "8. Do you require exclusivity for titles you sell on Steam?
We think you should get your game in front of as many people as you can, therefore we do not require exclusivity on titles."

Mr. Newell, put your money where your mouth is and actually release YOUR games in front of as many people as you can. Show you have balls, release your games on GOG".>>
Exclusivity and DRM-Free are 2 different things. Valve has no issue letting any vendor selling their games. He said they do not require exclusivity on titles and he's correct. He did not say they to do not require DRM.
xwormwood: THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH GOG!

Thank you - thank you - thank you - thank you - thank you - thank you!

No go for Gold and give us Panzer General, Allied General, Peoples General, and hell, yes, even Star General!

Thank take a deep breath and release the Gold Box and all the other great SSI games, no matter HOW old and ugly they may look.

Biut for today: Thanks. Dankeschön! Merci! Ja dziękuję
I'd like Star General.... I wonder if they could convert some of the old C64 games to work (Computer Ambush, 6-Gun Shoot-out, Sword of Fargoal).. this is a GOG day!
Edit... scratch Sword of Fargoal ..that's Epix)
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Russonc
Just got Fantasy General. Thanks GOG for bringing this title.

If anyone out there wants to know what the game's all about here is a nice playthrough you can follow.

Now you can understand the hype...

Fantasy General Playthrough
Ah, Fantasy General. Quality Good Old Game Release, I'd say.
And I'll say it, dammit! it's a QGOGR. Now where's me grog, or qgrog!
queue the grog. Dammit it's so great, skip the grog.
Excellent, More SSI titles. Gold-box series next please...
Squeee!
Publishing games huh? Just be better than CDProjekt was. Back in the days when boxed copies weren't just steam keys, CDP was what I hated most about pc gaming and main reason why I just didn't bother with it, or in case of good games I just pirated them if they were distributed by CDP or imported if game was truly good.

Why? Forced localisation without option to switch to original, that's why. No, I don't want to hear terrible polish voices that make my ears bleed, I don't want to read polish text riddled with bad grammar, I don't want the jokes localised to unfunny polish ones, and I don't want translations that are nowhere close to the translated text in terms of meaning. Add to that the fact that to make a truly good translation, you need a lot of annotations (to explain jokes, to explain that while literal meaning is the same, the work has different connotations in this language etc.) and no one will put plethora of annotations in games.

And let's not forget that localised versions sometimes have fun quirks like multiplayer working properly only when other people have same version as you (ekhem, old Paradox games, ekhem). Or localised versions needing localised versions of all patches so you're at the mercy of your distributor to do it but who would bother to do it? (ekhem, also old Paradox games, ekhem) Admittedly, this is really developer's fault but then don't forcibly localise games that have this problem, especially if you're not going to bother localising all patches.

So as you can see, forced localisation is bad, period. I always hoped that CDP would go out of business and GoG's birth was big surprise for me. Though they're slowly degrading in quality, changing their policies and whatnot. I mean look at this. When GoG introduced regional pricing they promised (admittedly after a backlash, so that's not much of a promise) to try and convince publishers to not put regional pricing on games and what are they doing now? First games published by GoG and they're regionally priced. What a surprise... said no one.

Coming back to localisation. Look, I know that it is necessary evil, but for fucks sake, make it optional.

On a positive note, good release. Will definitely buy in close future.
So...People's General next, right guys? Guys? :)

Seriously, HUGE CONGRATS on the publishing thing, and big props on getting two excellent games to help usher in this new era.
Alright! Fantasy General and published by GoG to boot!

Although, I remember Fantasy General having multiplayer of some sort...
Good job!
GabiMoro: Just tell Gabe Newell: << On Steam FAQ you said: "8. Do you require exclusivity for titles you sell on Steam?

synfresh: Exclusivity and DRM-Free are 2 different things. Valve has no issue letting any vendor selling their games. He said they do not require exclusivity on titles and he's correct. He did not say they to do not require DRM.
So Valve doesn't really want to sell their games in front of as many people as they can, or they would take the necesarry measures to sell their games on more stores (removing the DRM, if needed).