It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
I impulse bought the game as soon as I saw it on the front page, but I would not have had I known of the DRM issues.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Buried In Time
tfishell: This is the #1 bestseller currently. Assuming GOG isn't manipulating the bestseller page, does this mean most users don't actually care much about DRM-free, or what should be the takeaway?
I'd say that's not so far from the truth. Like I wrote somewhere, the forum is a DRM-free echo room.

What I myself find interesting is how many irate one-star reviews begin with "I already own this on steam" or "I already own this on multiple platforms".
high rated
Buried In Time: I impulse bought the game as soon as I saw it on the front page, but I would not have had I known of the DRM issues.
Ask for a refund? You certainly deserve one, having been sold a DRMed game on a supposedly DRM-free store.
liara42: Sheershaw, you're reminding me how "Devotion" (made by "Red Candle Games") was removed for infinitely less, for a hidden Winnie the Pooh obscure easter egg reference, but "Hitman" is allowed to do for whatever reason.
FWIW, I was joking--that line wasn't in the game.
high rated
A history retrospective here: original release of first Assassin's Creed was an always-online game.
Yet later on Ubisoft has removed online-only DRM, and GOG's release of the game was fully DRM-Free. So there is literally zero excuse for having anything in Hitman(2016) DRM'ed. It's a 5 years old game, that's been already sold everywhere and given away for free on EGS. The only proper GOG release for this game is making everything, I say EVERYTHING, offline and DRM-free. Including ability to launch timed events(make in-game offline even generator) and user-generated content.
Don't you guys dare to settle for anything less than that! :D
Post edited September 23, 2021 by trynoval
The moment I saw this game leaked in the upcoming thread, I knew it would be a disaster.
mrkgnao: And if this game does not affect them negatively, nor will the next and the next. With each DRM release, people will get used to it and will cry less and less, and buy more and more. As long as they continue releasing enough DRM-free games to keep the DRM-free crowd happy, I don't think their releasing this and more DRM games will affect them negatively. On the contary.

The logic that says "Bad GOG, why are you releasing DRM games? Naughty boy! Here, let me buy some more DRM-free games from you!" is a logic that can only make them release more DRM games.

The spark that you talk about has been lit a long time ago (Gwent, Absolver, CP2077) and nothing has exploded yet. Nor will it.

You say "it only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up". For you personally, what is that line that if GOG crosses, you will stop buying here? It's not their releasing one game with DRM, I presume.
Honestly, I personally can live with a drm-agnostic store (I'm here for the drm-free games, not the store, remember?), provided 3 basic things are done:
- The degree to which the game is drmed is clearly indicated (they currently aren't doing that with multiplayer and they are starting to slip with single-player too)... not hidden somewhere, shown prominently with a lot of clarity as to what is entailed... not my problem if it looks bad for marketing, I don't want to spend money on a drm-infested mess
- If a game is released drm-free, don't sneak in drm that will pollute my backups afterwards
- I can easily find the drm-free games and filter out the rest

If I don't have those 3 things, then yes, my interest in the store will drop very fast.

So no, they can't just do whatever the heck they want with DRMed titles (like they are doing here) and keep my interest.

I'm pretty tolerant about the pragmatic realities of running a business, but this is just bad service for me.

If getting the games I want becomes a hassle (and it has for this title), then I'll go elsewhere or if an alternative is lacking, just enjoy my backlog and wait for one to appear.

Vagabond: I'm definitely a whale for this site (see image) because of its goal with DRM-free games.
You have almost as many games as me. Consider me surprised.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Magnitus
high rated
Buried In Time: I impulse bought the game as soon as I saw it on the front page, but I would not have had I known of the DRM issues.
Ask for refund. They owe you like 50 refunds worth, given all you've done to help GOG over the years. :p
high rated
Yeah, refund that shit.

Like you said, you would not have bought it if you had known of the DRM issues. They can't expect you to read the fine print underneath the system requirements in order to find out that this thing has DRM up the wazoo.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by fronzelneekburm
high rated
Online requirement for features of a SP portion of the game (item unlocks). What a complete turn-off.

While online multiplayer parts of a game I can accept will need internet access I cannot and will not support games which force online connections for me to play by my lonesome. It's pretty stupid, and GOG needs to recognise that this is DRM as well.

If I wanted to ignore this I might as well ignore online verification and tying to the client and buy on a cheaper platform. GOG, guys, you're forgetting why many of us buy here.
mrkgnao: You are welcome to join us here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021
Alas, I do believe I am unknowingly sabotaging your boycott, seeing as even though I've joined up very recently, less than a month ago, I have already spent a ton of money and filled two library pages with great games. And I don't regret that, even though most of them were repeat purchases.

Still, I would gladly speak up against all sorts of forced online dependency, spyware and censorship, especially that of entirely innocuous things (throwing out a nice game over a cartoon bear easter egg, why, GOG, WHY?).
mrkgnao: And if this game does not affect them negatively, nor will the next and the next. With each DRM release, people will get used to it and will cry less and less, and buy more and more. As long as they continue releasing enough DRM-free games to keep the DRM-free crowd happy, I don't think their releasing this and more DRM games will affect them negatively. On the contary.

The logic that says "Bad GOG, why are you releasing DRM games? Naughty boy! Here, let me buy some more DRM-free games from you!" is a logic that can only make them release more DRM games.

The spark that you talk about has been lit a long time ago (Gwent, Absolver, CP2077) and nothing has exploded yet. Nor will it.

You say "it only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up". For you personally, what is that line that if GOG crosses, you will stop buying here? It's not their releasing one game with DRM, I presume.
Magnitus: Honestly, I personally can live with a drm-agnostic store (I'm here for the drm-free games, not the store, remember?), provided 3 basic things are done:
- The degree to which the game is drmed is clearly indicated (they currently aren't doing that with multiplayer and they are starting to slip with single-player too)... not hidden somewhere, shown prominently with a lot of clarity as to what is entailed.
- If a game is released drm-free, don't sneak in drm that will pollute my backups afterwards
- I can easily find the drm-free games and filter out the rest

If I don't have those two things, then yes, my interest in the store will drop very fast.

So no, they can't just do whatever the heck they want with DRMed titles (like they are doing here) and keep my interest.

If getting the games I want becomes a hassle (and it has for this title), then I'll go elsewhere or if an alternative is lacking, just enjoy my backlog and wait for one to appear.
DRM agnostic store is a fail of everything DRM-free community and GOG stands for. Imagine newspaper article titles: 100% DRM-Free store GOG starts selling games with DRM, DRM-Free business model is a failure, etc. Going DRM-agnostic store would be an open treachery of DRM-Free cause, and destruction of store's own niche. What's GOG without DRM-free stance? A brand with no real values behind it?

My words might sound harsh, but what can I do, if GOG Store's manager is literally sawing branch whole store is sitting on?
Post edited September 23, 2021 by trynoval
high rated
Remove the DRM free guarantee, and there is literally no reason to not just use Steam for everything.

GOG is inferior in every way to Steam EXCEPT for the fact that they provide a DRM free guarantee (and offline installers, though installers are only really valuable when combined with DRM-free).
trynoval: DRM agnostic store is a fail of everything DRM-free community and GOG stands for. Imagine newspaper article titles: 100% DRM-Free store GOG starts selling games with DRM, DRM-Free business model is a failure, etc. Going DRM-agnostic store would be an open treachery of DRM-Free cause, and destruction of store's own niche. What's GOG without DRM-free stance? A brand with no real values behind it?
I'll reiterate my past point here, but GOG is a corporation with clear profit-driven responsibilities to investors, not a movement.

Its not like you and me. It doesn't have morals. At this point, its an automaton that makes money for shareholders. I don't hold it liable to higher principles.

I however hold them accountable to an implicit agreement that was made when I handed over my dollars regarding every single game I purchased so far (with regard to sneaking drm in, I purchased these games drm-free and I expect them to stay that way right until the moment the store goes offline).

And regarding future purchases, I expect them to respect my values and not make it a mazelike experience to get the games I want. If they can't manage that, no point in giving them my money right? I don't intend to make every game I purchase a research work into exactly how much drm I'm getting.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Magnitus
high rated
Magnitus: I'll reiterate my past point here, but GOG is a corporation with clear profit-driven responsibilities to investors, not a movement.
And the shareholders should be EXTREMELY upset at GOG management's devaluation of their company by removing its single competitive advantage against its market peers.

By the way, "DRM-agnostic" has been tried and failed numerous times. ShinyLoot is but one example. It's hard to convince both customers and producers when you don't have a clear niche.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by mqstout