It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
GamezRanker: Just wanted to say this sh*te stinks to no end.....very disappointed in GOG atm.
cmclout: Did you seriously just put "sh*te" and "atm" in the same sentence and expect people to read it as "at the moment"?

Sorry, but someone had to insert a little levity into this overly-tense thread.
I did. ???
thraxman: Hey GOG as you defiantly listen to "many gamers", either fix this piece of shit version or remove it from your "DRM free" store.
mrkgnao: GOG's reply: And what if we don't?
Then they'll loose their customers. They are playing with matches, sitting on a dynamite crate. It only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up.
phaolo: Why are you attacking users that criticize this release?
Do you disagree or are you disrupting other people's complaints, despite them sharing your same disappointment?
Are you like playing the devil's advocate or.. the masochist hipster?
timppu: I am not attacking users criticizing this release. If there is meaningful single-player content restricted behind always-online requirement, then this game shouldn't be called DRM-free in the store.

I am attacking the idiots who huff and puff and are all talk. The drama queens.

So I ask you again: are you going to do as you suggested "people" should do? Or is it all talk? Why do you hang around in a store you don't like?
So you're openly attacking people who don't like DRM-ed games being sold on GOG. And shaming them.
high rated
That stupid Cyberpunk 2077 DLC was already a shame, but here half of the game is locked behind DRM! This is a new dimension of shame, GOG. And shame on you too, IO Interactive.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by russellskanne
trynoval: Then they'll loose their customers.
Some yes, but maybe not in high enough of a number that they are going to care.

As always, GOG has plenty of defenders of their latest DRM shenanigans.

And despite its DRM, this Hitman GOTY game is currently the #1 bestseller on their whole store, from which they may well take the message that it doesn't matter too much if they keep putting DRM into their games.
high rated
I have defended GOG a lot, but this game does NOT belong here in its current state. I was excited when I saw it, thinking IOI finally made an offline version, but to see otherwise is extremely disappointing. There's a massive difference between some dumb promo items and literally a huge chunk of the basic gameplay. If you just run through the story in this it takes like a few hours, the core of the game is completing the challenges and unlocking items, which is all online only.

I admitted those other examples could set GOG down a bad road, but I didn't think it would happen this quickly and this dramatically. I mainly support GOG for the principle of DRM free, and if they toss that away I'll choose Steam's better client and service every time.
mrkgnao: GOG's reply: And what if we don't?
trynoval: Then they'll loose their customers. They are playing with matches, sitting on a dynamite crate. It only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up.
Really?!

I see a lot of people saying they will not buy this game, but not many who say that they will stop buying here altogether. I don't see them losing customers over this.

So even if a small percentage of people buy this game, which I believe some already have and more will, GOG's decision to add this game may well prove to be profitable in the long run.

And if this game does not affect them negatively, nor will the next and the next. With each DRM release, people will get used to it and will cry less and less, and buy more and more. As long as they continue releasing enough DRM-free games to keep the DRM-free crowd happy, I don't think their releasing this and more DRM games will affect them negatively. On the contary.

The logic that says "Bad GOG, why are you releasing DRM games? Naughty boy! Here, let me buy some more DRM-free games from you!" is a logic that can only make them release more DRM games.

The spark that you talk about has been lit a long time ago (Gwent, Absolver, CP2077) and nothing has exploded yet. Nor will it.

You say "it only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up". For you personally, what is that line that if GOG crosses, you will stop buying here? It's not their releasing one game with DRM, I presume.
Edit: never mind, I don't really care anymore :P
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Breja
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
So it's a DRM-ed game ... when will you guys learn that we don't want any form of DRM in the games we want to buy from your platform. I swear you guys get out of touch by each day, stick to your core principles.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: And despite its DRM, this Hitman GOTY game is currently the #1 bestseller on their whole store, from which they may well take the message that it doesn't matter too much if they keep putting DRM into their games.
Important enough to add picture of this.
Attachments:
hitman.jpg (42 Kb)
high rated
For those interested - importing a working save from the Steam version is not possible as the GOG version claims it is a Corrupted Save File. So, at the moment I can't even play with the stuff I unlocked earlier on Steam.
Copying the profile save also does not work. Screenshots attached.

I sure as hell won't go through all of this again - even less so with being forced to do this online.
If I find a way to atleast use my unlocks again I will update this post. Fingers crossed.
Later I will contact GOG support with details on why the version they provided/were provided is a glorified demo at best currently, regarding offline functionality.

Updated later for clarification, edit 5: Copying a GOG save to Steam does fail with the same error message. If you look up the error message on the Internet you'll find claims that the save is locked to your account. The Hitman 2016 forum on Steam says that this was changed and saves could be transferred between Steam accounts, however the IOI Support, see below, stated that saves can not be transferred between different platforms.

Added later:
For those wondering about the paths, wanting to maybe also try this:

GOG
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\54504350291134065\Storage\Shared\Files

Steam
D:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\STEAM-ID\236870\remote

UPDATE, September 27th:
Regarding the save file issue, GOG referred me to IOI support:

...In case of the save compatibility please also try reporting it directly to the official support:
https://ioisupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
I did that right away and IOI support refers me back to GOG while saying that saves are generated differently for each platform:

I understand that you'd like to transfer your save file from Steam to GOG, however save files between platforms are not interchangeable since they are custom for each platform. Since we here in HITMAN 3 Support are not certified to assist you with direct Steam or GOG issues, I recommend reaching out to them directly for a confirmation of what can and cannot be done with save files. In the meantime, should there be anything else we can address for you, just let us know and we'll do our best to look into it for you.
I informed both support teams about their individual replies and referrals. Will update once new info arises.

UPDATE 2, September 27th, received another reply by IOI support:

Hi Midoryu,

Thanks for following up and for sharing your correspondence with GOG. I can see that they have suggested you contact us in regards to this issue. As mentioned previously however, IOI is not directly involved in the GOG or Steam platforms, which means that we will not be able to provide you insight into how these work. Both GOG and Steam are independent from IOI and from each other, which means that you will need to reach out to them in this situation. Once again, from personal and professional experience, I can tell you that it is not possible to use the save files from one platform on another platform. But for an official answer, you will need to ask GOG/Steam directly.

I hope I was able to offer some clarification, and that you're having a neat day!
To which I replied:

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Only to be certain, I figure you know this already:
If you're saying that they are not compatible between platforms, you are referred to Steam vs GOG vs Epic, right?
As the platform for all of them is PC. Should be the same game, independent of the store front you buy it from. (without the DRM for GOG of course)

Three things:

1. Can you tell me with certainty whether it would be feasible to wait for someone else to complete the missions again on GOG and then providing his save file, so I could use it? For Hitman(2016) this was to my knowledge not possible when it was first released on Steam, until patched in at a later date.

2. Can you provide any insight on why the decision to lock the save file to a specific platform was made? They have the same format, I can't imagine it's due to technical limitations, but fail to see any advantage.

3. For Hitman 3 a platform was established to import save files from Hitman 2 to 3, regardless of the platform. Is there a way to request something similar for other platforms? And the older Hitman(2016)?
They all using the same in-house engine, Glacier, Generation 2.

I realize that this is probably just a technical support team you're related with, so if you can name any other contact I should rather nag about this, just inform me who it is and I will gladly do so.

Have a nice week,

Midoryu
UPDATE 3, September 27th, yet another reply from the IOI support:

Hello again,

I would like to be able to be of more help, but once again, the information you are asking for pertains to GOG and Steam, not to HITMAN. You are currently corresponding with the HITMAN 3 Support department. We do not work for Steam or GOG. We cannot assist you with issues encountered with these platforms the same way a GOG or Steam Support agent would be able to.

As for the Carryover implications for the GOG version of HITMAN 1, I recommend keeping an eye on the official HITMAN social channels, as our colleagues will share all available information there once they can do so. Thanks for your patience in this regard.
It is still my understanding that the game developer is responsible for the implementation and compatibility of the save files to their game.
For now I will wait how the final implentation of the game on GOG will look like, before nagging any further.

UPDATE 4, September 28th: Received another reply by GOG support, I had also sent them the information given by IOI support:

...Thank you for the additional information.
Our Product manager is talking with the Developers about the bonus content, elusive targets and save system.
I'll update you once I know more. ...
I just realised that no one could possibly understand what is meant by bonus content in the previous sentence, here a snippet from my initial contact with the GOG support(don't know about the character limit, entire correspondence surely reaches that easily):

[I wrote]- also, side note: Steam users got the soundtrack and Making of a while back, this is missing on GOG as well and can no longer be claimed by connecting your game to your IO account:
https://account.ioi.dk/?t=rewards
Edit 4 an hour later: Provided full quote from IOI support, beginning was missing.
Edit 5: Changed formatting for better readability and added info about importing GOG saves to Steam.
Edit 6 and 7: Added second and third reply from IOI support.
Edit 8: Added another update from GOG support from September 28th.
Edit 9: Added clarification what is meant by bonus content in the support reply.
Attachments:
Post edited September 29, 2021 by Midoryu
high rated
mrkgnao: You say "it only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up". For you personally, what is that line that if GOG crosses, you will stop buying here? It's not their releasing one game with DRM, I presume.
I know you're talking to another person, but I would like to share my "line". I would definitely stop buying from GOG if they ever stop to give us the option to play the games from offline installers. As long as this is a possibility, I'll keep getting whatever games I can here because I won't be locked to Galaxy or some kind of launcher thing. But I definitely agree with the whole discussion about this release, it's not only some kind of extra small DLC, is a HUGE part of the game. Even if I have the possibility to play this game offline, I would have a REALLY limited experience.
mrkgnao: nothing has exploded yet. Nor will it.
I'm not sure so sure about that. GOG has lost money recently according to their own financial reports.

It could be partly or mostly or fully due to other reasons. Or it also could be partly or mostly or fully to them having done things like banning Devotion and also lying about the reason why, and/or allowing DRM-infested games onto their store.

My impression is that that bad decisions that GOG continually makes has a cumulative effect of whittling down their customer base over more and more over time. But that's just a theory and I could be wrong about that.

And on the other hand, GOG has plenty of customers who don't care at all about it becoming a DRM store. Maybe they will be enough to sustain it going forward (but maybe they won't).
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
trynoval: Then they'll loose their customers.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Some yes, but maybe not in high enough of a number that they are going to care.

As always, GOG has plenty of defenders of their latest DRM shenanigans.
By plenty of defenders you mean vocal minority on forums? Fact is most people don't use forums at all, or very rarely.

By being this pessimistic you only add to the damage. And don't worry, this Hitman release will hit GOG's reputation hard. Really hard. After CP2077 story the only reputation CDPR left was DRM-Free stance for DRM-Free store.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: And despite its DRM, this Hitman GOTY game is currently the #1 bestseller on their whole store, from which they may well take the message that it doesn't matter too much if they keep putting DRM into their games.
mrkgnao: Important enough to add picture of this.
it says nothing.
you could simply calculate "time since release" / "amount of sales" and you get a high value in the beginning
this statistical value will decrease dramatically each day in comparison to better selling "top" games.
furthermore GOG has the possibility to prioritise games in this list.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Gognarok