It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
Well... Like i said, an another thread :

[i]Yes, me too i completely stunned that GOG agreed to release this game with DRM, when what makes the site special, and why I mostly buy from them, was precisely the absence of DRM

For the moment, I've decided to put my purchases on hold on GOG, until they correct this and answer why they agreed to do this
If they continue to go down this road, I'll simply abandon my purchases on the site, and go back to my old habits

I'm really disappointed about this, GOG is the only store I really value, just the fact that they accepted this will have tarnished the image I have of them, even if they correct themselves[/i]

Your answer coming to answer a reaction I was waiting for, what I retain there:

- You waited several days before reacting, with a very clearly dubious answer, and after many protests from people
Which means that you had no desire to reform the worry, you did it only because you had no choice, considering the storm you had started

- Your answer, which I qualified as dubious, is dubious because you only said "we have seen the problem, we will look into it in the coming weeks".
Do you really expect us to believe that you didn't know that the game contains DRM? That you didn't have an agreement with IO beforehand, or that you didn't test it?
Also, your answer sounds more like something you're trying to put on hold, and hope that it causes a lull, so that maybe the problem can be swept under the rug (otherwise, you would have just removed the game from GOG, like Sony did with Cyberpunkg 2077)

I still maintain that I am clearly disappointed in this choice, with regard to the esteem I had for GOG, and that whatever you may do, it will have forever tainted the esteem I have for you, as well as the respect
To give you an idea, I had made a feedback of what I thought, on the GOG FR discord, I translate it for you (if it allows you to understand my great disappointment) :

[i]Well, I think it's my turn to give a feedback, but I have to explain my situation from the beginning
At the beginning, I had bought a PC for retro gaming, but I was also planning to use hacking to get my games

The reason for this change of mind is that I was a bit fed up with consumers being taken for cash cows: buggy games release, DLC planned in advance, purchases mostly made to prioritize those who benefit from it (and make nice speeches behind in case of problem, like piracy), the demat which is more a rental system, well of this kind, I think you understood what I'm talking about

Anyway, after getting a PC, by I don't know how, I got to know GOG, and after a while I decided to go and see what it was, and when I saw that it was DRM free, I started to be interested and to use it (I remember very well, it was shortly before the release of Vambrace Cold Soul, a game I was waiting for, that is to say the month of May 2019)

From then on, I took more and more notice of how GOG worked: beyond the DRM, which makes what you buy really belong to you, the fact that GOG takes a particular care to offer games with a minimum of functionality and other things that also prioritize the player's comfort made me start to get attached to it, and to review my position little by little
I definitely gave up my ideas when I started interacting with the GOG people (aka support)

Where one could say that their manners were just protocol and just in agreement with CDprojekt's position, I have to admit that they don't: you can see that what they do is really important to them and that they really want to help the users, and that they like to do that too, a point that is very well conveyed by their behaviors
A game sales site that also thinks about consumers without screwing them over, and that takes pleasure in doing so, that led to the fact that I ended up valuing GOG more than any other support, made me abandon my initial position, where I reviewed my consumption: continue to buy the "complete" versions on console, and everything else on GOG
In the end, I'm satisfied with what GOG offers (as well as the physical games), instead of looking for other ways to acquire what is not there

Really, the behavior of the support, and of GOG in general is exemplary, and its growing success proves that when you are correct with people, they will be too
A big bravo to this site and those who work on it, know that even if some people can be ungrateful (maybe because of the habits that make them naturally suspicious, the princesses who do not have their golden cup ect.), I think that other people more silent value your work better, not to mention cases like mine, I hope you will continue in this way, you and the site[/i]

Naturally, all this was shattered, like an electroshock
You may not care, considering your last maneuvers, but know that you had shattered everything that made me buy from you, the hope that I had taken back about a company, and that I no longer consider you today
I will, from now on, greatly limit my purchases on the platform, and only in the interest that it benefits me (for example, a game that has many patches... and still), but otherwise, I will return to my original intentions, and this without, embarrassment

I don't want to be taken for a simple milk cow, that they don't try to milk as they want, and when I show signs of frustration, that they give me a generic answer, taking me for a moron

I'm clearly not going to trust any company after that, it was already hard to come back to it at the time, but we can say that you were the final cutter, the point of no return

I still hope that you will understand one day, if only for the consideration you should have for your future buyers
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Ganyse
Ganyse: For the moment, I've decided to put my purchases on hold on GOG, until they correct this and answer why they agreed to do this
You might want to get yourself listed on the boycott thread, where other people have also put their GOG purchases on hold, for various reasons (including Hitman):
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021
high rated
Are there any law-versed people in this thread? I'm pretty sure according to Euro law that the way GOG advertises itself is entirely at odds with this game and how it is being advertised and could be grounds for a false advertising suit.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by ReynardFox
Ganyse: For the moment, I've decided to put my purchases on hold on GOG, until they correct this and answer why they agreed to do this
mrkgnao: You might want to get yourself listed on the boycott thread, where other people have also put their GOG purchases on hold, for various reasons (including Hitman):
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021
No, i think do not :/
I don't entirely agree with everything that is said there, some things seem to me exaggerated

The only two things that could have done it, except the case of hitman (and that are never mentioned there), is that the games try to connect to the internet, that the FR staff answered, saying that it's the graphic engines that try to do it, but that the developers didn't bother to disable it (And that they connect, in reality, to nothing at all)

The other one is that with some games (Xseed, to my knowledge), if you block the connection to the internet via the firewall (which I always do, I set my firewall to ask me, which I don't allow when there is no reason), the games don't start
To date, the staff has not responded to this problem, although we can easily imagine that it comes from the developers themselves, due to a mistake, rather than GOG (Because I personally never have this problem, apart from Xseed games)
I guess not many people set the firewall like I do, so it's not well known, and GOG is not looking into it

This being said, thank you for the proposal, I nevertheless share the ideas concerning Hitman and the regional prices (especially when I see what Nis America is doing, lately)
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Ganyse
low rated
Wow . Since when the Gog forum become the snake pit of the elitist pricks ? You are demanding for the newest AAA game releases but whining about something that can be fixed by a mod ? Pathetic .

( burn my post , i don't care )
Post edited September 25, 2021 by DD & Ji Ji
high rated
DD & Ji Ji: Wow . Since when the Gog forum become the snake pit of the elitist pricks ? You are demanding for the newest AAA game releases but whining about something that can be fixed by a mod ? Pathetic .

I've never asked for anything - except "DRM-free". Thank you for your warm words ("elitist pricks").
Very brave to present people and their points of view in this way ... without knowing them in person or reflecting their points of view fairly.
I will surely not downvote your post - for reasons. & i won´t further answer / comment to you.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Paraharaha
high rated
I'll be brief, because I'm exhausted. I'm taking a break from GOG. I have resisted DRM ever since Steam was released, but it's a losing battle. I can no longer trust GOG. DRM-free is dead, and we killed it.
The gaming industry absolutely loathes the paying customer. Fine. Have it your way. I'm tired of being disappointed.
The fact that you, GOG, would test the waters with a release like this tells me exactly where your heads are at and I don't like it. Not one bit. You cynical fucks.
FCK DRM, FCK GOG.
high rated

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
My apologies. I'm usually respectful of norms of good behavior.

At the same time, this is not a normal situation. I think the wave of bad reviews on the game page are warranted, both as a clear statement of what the community stand for and as a warning to would-be purchasers (I was personally grateful for the DRM warnings on the review section, I think they are appropriate for this website given the customer base that it has catered to up to this point at least).

Once the situation has been rectified, than yes, the reviews will no longer appropriately reflect the situation and should be removed.

Also, if you wish to publish DRMed content in the future, I recommend that you make an official announcement indicating the change of direction and you take greater steps to clarify in some detail for each game page the extend to which the game is DRM-free (both for single-player and multi-player mode).

For those of us who are strictly interested in DRM-free content, I think the above will be a pre-requisite to continue purchasing here.

I think you owe your long-standing customer base that you cultivated over the years based on the promise of DRM-free content this much clarity at least.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Magnitus
high rated
DD & Ji Ji: Wow . Since when the Gog forum become the snake pit of the elitist pricks ? You are demanding for the newest AAA game releases but whining about something that can be fixed by a mod ? Pathetic .

Your answer is completely stupid. People come on GOG to get DRM-FREE games, not to get the same DRM-filled crap they can get on Steam, at five times the price.
low rated
Akka: Your answer is completely stupid. People come on GOG to get DRM-FREE games, not to get the same DRM-filled crap they can get on Steam, at five times the price.
(preface: not shilling for steam with the text below)

Yeah, Steam also has deeper sales than GOG. Part of why I started shopping on GOG(even when prices increased over the years) was because the games are/were DRM free and also because they have offline installers, which saved me the time of making DRM free backups.

Now, if games start becoming DRMd here, I wonder: what would be the point of buying such games here again?
Post edited September 25, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated

Arundir: So you did not know that this game gates a lot of single player progression content behind an online connection?

You are waiting for 2 days till the thread grew to 38 pages before showing a reaction and then have the gall to out people who are trying to warn people in reviews of details you did not made overt on the game's page at the time? Do you see that "DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play. " - perhaps you should add "to play half of the features the game provides".

I bought a lot of games, more than I will ever play and I did this often for me, but also often to support a cause which you advertise and to support your company - DRM FREE GAMES.

To be clear, DRM FREE GAMES is the only feature that makes your company relevant.

If you think you can take on Steam you have a long way to go with Galaxy, and to make it the conjunction library of all client based companies that sell games...no comment.
Thank you! I couldn't agree more with your post.
I am even more disgusted at them after their late and pitiful response to this issue.

So they consider their own offense regarding DRM-free something "to look into" (which means NOTHING), but their customers understandable reaction actually seems to be far worse in their twisted minds. We should have every right to protect others from accidentally buying an awfully DRM'ed and crippled game, when GOG is UNABLE or UNWILLING to conform to their own principles.

No, GOG! Just no!
Post edited September 25, 2021 by SuccessDenied
low rated
SuccessDenied: I am even more disgusted at them after their late and pitiful response to this issue.
I sometimes wonder: how much more can they (figuratively) sh**t themselves in the foot :|
(by now GOG's "feet" must resemble hamburger, i'd expect)

Visual record of GOG's release of Hitman GOTY + some user's response to it (2021)
Post edited September 25, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated
You did it again, GOG.
People keep saying they dislike DRM, yet you don't listen.
low rated
Dray2k: Is an internet connection required to launch the game? Can it be played offline or does it require internet at startup?
It doesn't require an Internet connection to launch the game and the story part can be played offline from start to finish.

What is online is :

Challenge missions, e.g. kill this NPC with this weapon while wearing this disguise
Time limited missions, similar to the previous but... well... time limited
And user content (basically the former but created by users.)

The main issue is that the whole meta-progression (i.e. unlock new starting points, unlock extra costumes or weapons) is tied to the online part and wont be unlocked if you are offline.
low rated
patrikc: You did it again, GOG.
People keep saying they dislike DRM, yet you don't listen.
they say that ,but their wallet says a different story