It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fenimore Fillmore: 3 Skulls of the Toltecs is now available DRM-free. You can get it 50% off until July 9, 1 PM UTC.

3 Skulls of the Toltecs was one of the last classic point & click adventure release in 1996, now you can play it again in this wonderful remastered version with enhanced graphics up to 4k.
MarkoH01: Yes, I hate posting misinformation and confusing people it was just too much testing yesterday right after work so I did not test it thoroughly enough. I will edit my post above to make sure to not create further confusuion.
Your testing was much appreciated. I've bought the game now... and I can't get it to run in 4:3. Given that I'm a stickler for correct aspect ratios I'm plenty experienced in the normal hurdles.

This one has me stumped though, did you have to do anything special to get it in 4:3?

I've tried both 1440x1080 and 1280x960 and in both cases it seems to ignore my "maintain aspect ratio" video settings. I've tried both of those resolutions outside of the game and they come out the correct aspect ratio. Pretty strange. Hopefully Gualbert will have a suggestion.

Gualbert: ...
Hi, do you have any ideas about the above problem? The game seems to ignore my aspect ratio settings, so even if I pick a 4:3 resolution it comes out stretched to 16:9 anyway.
Post edited June 27, 2019 by SirPrimalform
MarkoH01: Yes, I hate posting misinformation and confusing people it was just too much testing yesterday right after work so I did not test it thoroughly enough. I will edit my post above to make sure to not create further confusuion.
SirPrimalform: Your testing was much appreciated. I've bought the game now... and I can't get it to run in 4:3. Given that I'm a stickler for correct aspect ratios I'm plenty experienced in the normal hurdles.

This one has me stumped though, did you have to do anything special to get it in 4:3?

I've tried both 1440x1080 and 1280x960 and in both cases it seems to ignore my "maintain aspect ratio" video settings. I've tried both of those resolutions outside of the game and they come out the correct aspect ratio. Pretty strange. Hopefully Gualbert will have a suggestion.
No, I just changed the resolution and after clicking back the screen (including the menu) immediately goes to 4:3. Make sure that you have set the scaling option in your graphics driver to not interfere with this because of the scaling option though. If it is set to "fullscreen" instead of "keep aspect ratio" it will always stretch the screen the moment you are not using the same aspect ratio as your screen.
Post edited June 27, 2019 by MarkoH01
Gualbert:
I said it before but maybe it was overseen because of my long list.

There's still a bug in the German localisation. Could you please check the subtitle I posted in the attached screeenshot? It's a line that is said whenever something is not working but the subtitles do not match the spoken words here at all. Maybe those were mixed with another line I did not encounter yet.
Attachments:
SirPrimalform: Your testing was much appreciated. I've bought the game now... and I can't get it to run in 4:3. Given that I'm a stickler for correct aspect ratios I'm plenty experienced in the normal hurdles.

MarkoH01: No, I just changed the resolution and after clicking back the screen (including the menu) immediately goes to 4:3. Make sure that you have set the scaling option in your graphics driver to not interfere with this because of the scaling option though. If it is set to "fullscreen" instead of "keep aspect ratio" it will always stretch the screen the moment you are not using the same aspect ratio as your screen.
As I said, the game seems to bypass/ignore that setting somehow. I checked various resolutions outside of the game and they maintain their aspect ratio fine, but when I try them in the game it remains stretched. I've never seen anything quite like it (and I have spent a lot of time getting aspect ratios right on other games.
gamesfreak64: GALAXY NEEDED ? ٩◔‿◔۶

Seems you cannot move the client dll, and if you dont have username ( galaxy user) it takes your currently username you logged into your windows, this game is NOT 100% "off"line
unless all other games also do the same ?

check: goguserdialog.png

if you dont have galaxy you can continue and it will showe your name of currently logged in user profile from your windows

i dont use Galaxy so i closed the popup, and moved Galaxy to another folder ....

so it shows up: galaxyismissing

check: galaxyismissing.png

1. The ingame menu is awkward/ clumsy ,
2.scaling looks bad,
3. 800 x 600, 1024,x768 and a fullscreen, all supoprtedbut look like pixelsoup and blurry
4. If i disable the running core temp and gpu iand the av... the game keeps spiking the cpu once a while
the main game exe is between 22 and 25% CPU which is too much, i have modern games that have higher system requirements , but they use far less CPU then this game...

So, not fun at all .... another game to add to the shelves .... , its only 5 bucks so that makes i bearable :D
Let me check to the GOG what we must to do, thanks
Gualbert:
MarkoH01: I said it before but maybe it was overseen because of my long list.

There's still a bug in the German localisation. Could you please check the subtitle I posted in the attached screeenshot? It's a line that is said whenever something is not working but the subtitles do not match the spoken words here at all. Maybe those were mixed with another line I did not encounter yet.
we will have a look on this, thanks

Gualbert: ...
SirPrimalform: Hi, do you have any ideas about the above problem? The game seems to ignore my aspect ratio settings, so even if I pick a 4:3 resolution it comes out stretched to 16:9 anyway.
Maybe your screen dont support the correct aspect ration, but as many of you want the 4:3 aspect ratio, we are going to prepare a version to set the game in this 4:3 even if you are in 16:9 screen, thanks.
Post edited June 27, 2019 by Gualbert
Gualbert: First thank you for reporting these issue we are going to fix them asap.
here you have our contact if you want to send anything else to us contact@casualbrothers.com.
MarkoH01: This sounds great. I always say that it is okay to make mistakes/bugs as long as you are willing to fix them :)
Thanks for the contact adress. I will forward you whatever I find knowing that you want to polish the game as much as possible so that my time doing this is not wasted.

Btw: I noticed that the crazy font the classic version used is now gone was this an intended decision or a technical necessity?

Gualbert: We fixed the issue with the German character and traslation, is on 1.5.1, thanks
MarkoH01: Yeah! Well done and thank you!
Yes we changed this and more things, intendedly, :D

Seems you cannot move the client dll, and if you dont have username ( galaxy user) it takes your currently username you logged into your windows, this game is NOT 100% "off"line

if you dont have galaxy you can continue and it will showe your name of currently logged in user profile from your windows

i dont use Galaxy so i closed the popup, and moved Galaxy to another folder ....

2.scaling looks bad,
3. 800 x 600, 1024,x768 and a fullscreen, all supoprtedbut look like pixelsoup and blurry
4. If i disable the running core temp and gpu iand the av... the game keeps spiking the cpu once a while
the main game exe is between 22 and 25% CPU which is too much, i have modern games that have higher system requirements , but they use far less CPU then this game...

So, not fun at all .... another game to add to the shelves .... , its only 5 bucks so that makes i bearable :D
About the menu with the users show you that you can select the user GOG if you played with it because the game needs to know this user exist, or also you can create a new one or use default, if you can change default to any name you like it.

About the CPU I dont know what happen with this 20% but maybe is because you have 4 cores and is using 1?, but the game dont use to much the CPU neither GPU.

Thanks
Gualbert: Maybe your screen dont support the correct aspect ration, but as many of you want the 4:3 aspect ratio, we are going to prepare a version to set the game in this 4:3 even if you are in 16:9 screen, thanks.
It's definitely not a problem with my screen, it handles 4:3 fine in everything apart from this specific game. It's really strange, it as if the game somehow bypasses my settings.
An in-game 4:3 option would be very welcome though.
Post edited June 27, 2019 by SirPrimalform
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Good to know, this is much better than a single save slot variant.
And if I want to branch out or test something I'll just backup the whole savegame directory.
gamesfreak64: i always made a backup of all my save games since i started to play games on my first PC : a P100 , and that is a long time ago :D
Me too, I have a lot of savegames from the nineties :-)
MarkoH01: There's still a bug in the German localisation. Could you please check the subtitle I posted in the attached screeenshot? It's a line that is said whenever something is not working but the subtitles do not match the spoken words here at all. Maybe those were mixed with another line I did not encounter yet.
You should tell them what the spoken words say and if they match the situation, they probably aren't German speakers.
Post edited June 27, 2019 by Sir_Kill_A_Lot
Gualbert: About the menu with the users show you that you can select the user GOG if you played with it because the game needs to know this user exist, or also you can create a new one or use default, if you can change default to any name you like it.
I still find that very off-putting and another reason not to buy it without double-checking that the system requirements list Galaxy as optional and then borrowing a non-networked Windows PC to test on so I can get a refund on technical grounds if it refuses to play without online connectivity.

None of the other GOG games in my ~1600-strong collection ask about that... they just pretend Galaxy doesn't exist unless launched BY Galaxy... y'know, like Steam builds that don't use Steamworks DRM.

(Plus, if I were to buy it to run in Wine, every weird, non-standard quirk is one more thing that could trip over something in the Win32 API that Wine hasn't implemented yet.)
Post edited June 27, 2019 by ssokolow

2.scaling looks bad,

Gualbert: About the menu with the users show you that you can select the user GOG if you played with it because the game needs to know this user exist, or also you can create a new one or use default, if you can change default to any name you like it.

About the CPU I dont know what happen with this 20% but maybe is because you have 4 cores and is using 1?, but the game dont use to much the CPU neither GPU.

Thanks
Thanks for the quick reply, i know ... games dont use many resources yet my pc shows they do, so itehr my pc is showing high values while they should be low, i cant check that cause the PC is not a human. and pc cannot lie if i see x number i assume it is correct, anyway thats why i buy games very cheap nowadays to avoid asking a refund if the game doesnt perform , bought 9 games at steam ( summersale) at 7.99 euro, normally it would be 39 euros :D
now the games are less that 1 euro, so if one or more fry my cpu, i will just uninstall the games and hide them on the shelves.
Anyway i stopped buying games at listprice, and wait fot huge sales ... cause i dont want to bother anyone cause they all reply my PC should be able to run it, but i havent messed up my pc... although the replies i got in the past always suggested the pc can run it, so i must have done something to the pc making it unable to run :D
gamesfreak64: i always made a backup of all my save games since i started to play games on my first PC : a P100 , and that is a long time ago :D
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Me too, I have a lot of savegames from the nineties :-)
MarkoH01: There's still a bug in the German localisation. Could you please check the subtitle I posted in the attached screeenshot? It's a line that is said whenever something is not working but the subtitles do not match the spoken words here at all. Maybe those were mixed with another line I did not encounter yet.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: You should tell them what the spoken words say and if they match the situation, they probably aren't German speakers.
Thank you. Yes, I am aware that they probably don't speak any German. I suspect that they simply used the wrong audio files in this case. I doubt that they will be able to fix it without anybody speaking English even if I would translate the spoken words more or less. I will revisit this and also see what the English version says in this case. I guess I will collect as many information as possible about this issue comparing German and English and post everything to the contact adress I was shown earlier.

Edit: Just saw that Gualbert already replied and that they will take a look.

ssokolow: I still find that very off-putting and another reason not to buy it without double-checking that the system requirements list Galaxy as optional and then borrowing a non-networked Windows PC to test on so I can get a refund on technical grounds if it refuses to play without online connectivity.
You don't need to buy and refund. I will test this for you.

Edit:
Done. For testing purposes I deactivated every Galaxy service AND deactivated my internet connection. I started the game and it showed a message that it could not find the GOG user showing my account name. However I was able to input any name in the field and click on continue. Game started fine. I changed some options and quit the game and restarted it again (still disconnected) the message appeared again and I could chose the username I entered the first time by chosing it from the dropdown list and clicked on continue. The game started fine with all the options already in place I changed the first time.

So it is absolutely working offline and without Galaxy but it is an inconvenience that the "error message" even occurs. At least it should have saved the fact that I started the game the first time with a non Galaxy user and instead of still searhing for a Gaalxy user it should have automatically started with the last user not showing any message at all.
gamesfreak64: Thanks for the quick reply, i know ... games dont use many resources yet my pc shows they do, so itehr my pc is showing high values while they should be low, i cant check that cause the PC is not a human. and pc cannot lie if i see x number i assume it is correct, anyway thats why i buy games very cheap nowadays to avoid asking a refund if the game doesnt perform , bought 9 games at steam ( summersale) at 7.99 euro, normally it would be 39 euros :D
now the games are less that 1 euro, so if one or more fry my cpu, i will just uninstall the games and hide them on the shelves.
Anyway i stopped buying games at listprice, and wait fot huge sales ... cause i dont want to bother anyone cause they all reply my PC should be able to run it, but i havent messed up my pc... although the replies i got in the past always suggested the pc can run it, so i must have done something to the pc making it unable to run :D
Just FYI if you have a non ancient CPU (no offense intended here - my own CPU is pretty old being an i5-444) no game could ever "fry" your CPU. High CPU usage is nothing that has to be bad in general, depending on how powerful your CPU is it might be normal that the usage is pretty high - however whenever a CPU is getting too hot there are several built in security features in every "non ancient" CPU which will simply slow down your CPU or - if this does not help - power down the PC completely before anything is happening therefore preventing any damage. I am using PCs since they exist (my first one was an 8086 somewhere in the 80s) and not a single time a CPU burned through for me (I guess I had at least 8 or 9) even though those old CPUs were missing the mentioned security features. Today it is nearly impossible to destroy the CPU. Of course it is still up to you to not want the CPU to getting such an high usage at all so again - I just want to explain, inform and help and not critizise your behaviour in any way. :)
No

gamesfreak64: Seems you cannot move the client dll
There's no reason to move any DLL even if you don't use Galaxy at all. The problem the game has (as stated above) is that it will always TRY to search for the Galaxy user to make it easier to those that use it. Unfortunately the same thing makes it harder for those who don't. So yes, they probably should change this. They could as well search the registry to get the Galaxy username and if none is there they could as well use the username of the PC which is stored in the registry as well. No need to use any Galaxy related function at all.

gamesfreak64: , and if you dont have username ( galaxy user) it takes your currently username you logged into your windows, this game is NOT 100% "off"line
It has nothing to do with this game not being online. I explained above that the game is perfectly running without any online connection at all.

gamesfreak64: if you dont have galaxy you can continue and it will showe your name of currently logged in user profile from your windows
If you like you can then enter any name you want into the field and click on continue.

gamesfreak64: 1. The ingame menu is awkward/ clumsy ,
Could you explain? Except for the very slow transition when you try to reload a certain safefile there is not much to the ingame menu at all which basically is nothing more than some very few options which can all easily be checked or clicked.

gamesfreak64: 2.scaling looks bad,
Yes, I already posted this as well. The game menu and splash screen is set to a 16:9 resolution. Whenever you use a different one game menu is set to the same aspect ratio making it look awful and amateurish. The game itself however is scaling fine.

gamesfreak64: 3. 800 x 600, 1024,x768 and a fullscreen, all supoprtedbut look like pixelsoup and blurry
I attached pics with said resolution. Cannot see any pixelation (make sure to have the advanced checkbox checked to not run the classic mode). Yes, the low resolutions (640x480/800x600) do look blurry but imo 1024x768 is looking all right - of course resolution is still quite low so it might depend on the monitor and its native resolution how blurry it will look in th end. Does it look worse for you?
Attachments:
800_600.jpg (44 Kb)
1024_768.jpg (63 Kb)
Gualbert: we will have a look on this, thanks
Thank you. If you should need any more innformation about this issue feel free to contact me here or via GOG chat. I am aware that it might be hard to fix such a bug without speaking the language :)

Also I missed another tiny (but easy to fix) German localisation bug. When you chose the language and/or subtitles instead of "Deutsche" it should say "Deutsch" (so language: Deutsch / Subtitle: Deutsch).

Thank you again for heaving an open ear for our feedback. I really appreciate it.