It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The swashbuckler action game full of its developers passion – En Garde! is now available on GOG alongside its Soundtrack and Soundtrack Edition!

Battle graceless guards and nefarious noblemen in fast-paced fights full of spectacle. Use the environment, your wit and your blade to teach them all a lesson!

From the forgotten pages of history, comes Adalia de Volador! Legendary swashbuckler. Dashing adventurer. Hero of the people.

In En Garde! you’ll play as Adalia in her daring escapades full of sword-fighting, satire and shenanigans. Challenge the cruel Count-Duke and oppose tyranny with panache!

With its beautifully painted locations, charismatic characters, and an astounding amount of battle banter it’s a fun-filled ticket to the golden age of swashbuckling comedy!

Since its initial release, En Garde! has become a beloved title that players praise for its gorgeous art style, smooth and satisfying gameplay, charming storytelling, and great combat mechanics.

It’s certainly one of those games that remind us all why we have fallen in love with gaming in the first place.

When fighting in En Garde!, you’ll parry, riposte and lunge your way to victory! And since Adalia is quite a charmer, being stylish in combat will fill your Panache Meter and unlock special skills. But you’ll need more than your sword to win the day…

Challenging, ever-changing fights will also push you to rely on your cunning and acrobatics to disturb your enemies. Learning their weaknesses, adapting and improvising will be a key to defeating them.

Combat areas are playgrounds full of opportunities to create mischief and gain the upper hand. Surprise, stun, or evade enemies with a variety of objects – from rolling barrels to falling chandeliers.

Moreover, during your gameplay, you’ll unlock zany game-changing modifiers and new fight situations in the Arena Mode. Play and replay randomized scenarios to test your skill against waves of enemies!

But it's much more than just swinging your sword! Discover the tales of Adalia, with unique challenges to complete and secrets to uncover, and prepare to meet a theatrical cast of characters, as Adalia and her rivals react to each of your actions, exchanging witty one-liners during the flow of the fight.

In En Garde! the world's your stage – check it out now!
idbeholdME: Hmmm, looks like it could be fun. Wishlisted for later.
I feel so tired: " play with a controller " game .
idbeholdME: What makes a game a "controller game" I wonder? Unless the game is mechanically incapable of it (as in does not accept keyboard inputs), nothing is preventing you from playing with your preferred input device.
Sometimes the devs inform you upfront on one of the first screens of the game (the most recent example I encountered was sclash) it is intended to be played with controller, even though they have keyboard control scheme (in case of sclash it's terribly awkward and not rebindable at that).
Sometimes you just get to realize that yourself, as the keybinds are awkward, and even though rebindable, you can't make them feel right when playing mouse and keyboard. From my experience most souls-likes and fighters/brawlers suffer from that.
Sometimes, even though everything works right, and whatever controls don't you can rebind them to be comfortable, but the UI would behave "oddly". I've seen that most with top-down shooters ("twin stick shooters", called for a reason, no?), latest example for me was early builds of West of Dead, where the crosshair would not really follow the mouse, but rather orbit at some distance from the character.
And some games won't even start if you don't have a controller plugged-in, while some others would, but won't accept mouse and keyboard inputs anywhere past main menu.

Granted, you most likely won't know most of those things from looking at videos of the game and browsing screenshots (though it might be a giveaway, if you spot controller key prompts in the ui in screenshots), but you might be able to see enough to categorize it already.
In case of En Garde, at least for me it does raise a few flags in that regard, but everything else seems so much my cup of tea, I'm going to get it regardless and see for myself whether those worries were warranted. Maybe I'll burn myself, and like with Falconeer, I'll tag it with "controller required" and never look at it again.

It's also why I'd appreciate this kind of info being in storepage description. As the "controller support" does not by itself imply "you won't be physically able to play the game without a controller plugged in".
Andrzejef: Sometimes the devs inform you upfront on one of the first screens of the game (the most recent example I encountered was sclash) it is intended to be played with controller, even though they have keyboard control scheme (in case of sclash it's terribly awkward and not rebindable at that).
I sometimes see that as well. Especially in the more recent games and especially platformers (for some reason). Whether you follow that suggestion is entirely up to you though. I have 25+ years of experience using a keyboard and basically none using a controller. Why would I voluntarily switch to a device I am bad with? And I have yet to encounter a game that I couldn't play well using a keyboard.

Stuff like "best experienced with a controller". No, it's best experienced with the control method I am the most comfortable/good with.

Andrzejef: Sometimes you just get to realize that yourself, as the keybinds are awkward, and even though rebindable, you can't make them feel right when playing mouse and keyboard. From my experience most souls-likes and fighters/brawlers suffer from that.
Can't agree on souls-likes, but I'll give you fighters. Mostly because doing "circles" on a keyboard is not really a thing. Although playing them on a keyboard is not nearly as bad is it used to be in the past.

Andrzejef: Sometimes, even though everything works right, and whatever controls don't you can rebind them to be comfortable, but the UI would behave "oddly". I've seen that most with top-down shooters ("twin stick shooters", called for a reason, no?), latest example for me was early builds of West of Dead, where the crosshair would not really follow the mouse, but rather orbit at some distance from the character.
A UI that is made to be handled with a controller can be obnoxious to control on keyboard and mouse, but it's because of menus within menus, transitions, huge fonts, wasted space and so on. But it's manageable. Most devs choosing to go with a "universal" UI instead of separate ones for controller and M+KB is a different issue entirely.

Andrzejef: And some games won't even start if you don't have a controller plugged-in, while some others would, but won't accept mouse and keyboard inputs anywhere past main menu.
That is the only case where I'd agree that something is truly a "controller game". I won't play those games though :P

Andrzejef: It's also why I'd appreciate this kind of info being in storepage description. As the "controller support" does not by itself imply "you won't be physically able to play the game without a controller plugged in".
True, although games that literally can't be played without a controller seem quite rare.
Post edited January 09, 2024 by idbeholdME
idbeholdME: I have 25+ years of experience using a keyboard and basically none using a controller. Why would I voluntarily switch to a device I am bad with?
Had the same discussion with a friend regarding first Remnant 2, and then, more notably, Armored Core 6 where the "hard lock" gets broken on slightest mouse move with literally no deadzone (to the point 99% of the time hard lock is pure detrimental to the gameplay, as it offers no benefit over default "soft lock", and still incurs the penalty to accuracy). I tried working around that with rebinding controls, or trying to be mindful of my mouse hand movements, and keeping it as still as possible, but it either felt awkward, or unnatural, or both.

Ultimately I still finished the game with kb and mouse, albeit with heavily modified controls from the defaults, and a few macros set in place (like one button toggle to charge both shoulders at once), because I was unwilling to switch to the device I'm utterly unfamiliar with just because "it's easier with controller" ™, and he would still poke at me with "real hardcore, handicapping himself just because he doesn't want to play with controller".

Hence why I'd really appreciate a simple prompt "best experienced with controller" before I purchase and install a game - since most of them already put it in some of the first screens after launch anyway - for me it would lead to a lot less negative bias in the reception of it when I find out myself.
Seems game controllers and fps games are as to oil and water. Only time it may make some sense is a removal of any firearms. Use of bows are still janky.

The problems becomes apparent when developing a game and you realize you have to force a player to cheat or gimp the entire worldspace to accommodate a controller that lacks any and all finesse to match a fast situation. As in, people do not sit still while being shot at.
Andrzejef: Ultimately I still finished the game with kb and mouse, albeit with heavily modified controls from the defaults, and a few macros set in place (like one button toggle to charge both shoulders at once), because I was unwilling to switch to the device I'm utterly unfamiliar with just because "it's easier with controller" ™, and he would still poke at me with "real hardcore, handicapping himself just because he doesn't want to play with controller".
True. I have to do that sometimes too (although no macros). Because it is often quite obvious that some devs have little to no idea about how to play games on a keyboard and the default bindings in some games can be truly mind-boggling as a result.
AaHhh D'artagnan ... oui monsieur , i will rip the point of your mustache HahAaa
idbeholdME: Stuff like "best experienced with a controller". No, it's best experienced with the control method I am the most comfortable/good with.
Most games I've seen display the "best experienced with a controller" prompt are in fact way better with keyboard and mouse. If a game really is better with a controller, it means the devs failed to take advantage of keyboard and mouse controls and likely just don't care about PC.
Post edited January 09, 2024 by Breja
Breja: Most games I've seen display the "best experienced with a controller" prompt are in fact way better with keyboard and mouse. If a game really is better with a controller, it means the devs failed to take advantage of keyboard and mouse controls and likely just don't care about PC.
Pretty much, yeah.

Especially platformers. I really don't understand where the notion that platformer games are controller games came from.
I like the real Dark Souls games. One of the reasons why I like them is because parrying is not required in them.

I hate games where parrying is required.

This seems like one of them. Such a shame, as the game looks quite good otherwise.

I'm sure it would be a much better game if they removed the mandatory parrying mechanic.

"Soulslike" games would be a lot more "Soulslike" if they stopped trying to force players to use parrying, which the real Dark Souls games themselves do not do.
I've bought the game + OST but I didn't play it yet but guys... I have to tell you that the Soundtrack alone is already worth it!

That's some really awesome spanish flamenco music and a bit of epic! :)
Post edited January 09, 2024 by Atreyu666
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I'm sure it would be a much better game if they removed the mandatory parrying mechanic.
That's a bit like looking at Batman Arkham Asylum and saying it would be a better game if they just gave you a shotgun.

This is a game literally all about fencing. I can understand being averse to parrying mechanics in combat, but in this case I think it's quite understandable why it would be the cornerstone of the whole thing. In fact, nothing else would make much sense.
Breja: This is a game literally all about fencing. I can understand being averse to parrying mechanics in combat, but in this case I think it's quite understandable why it would be the cornerstone of the whole thing. In fact, nothing else would make much sense.
It's understandable, yes, but I still suck at parrying and always will! But I'll give the game a try anyway, probably on "easy" :)
My problem with this game... puny humies use tiny toothpicks as weapons.
Breja: This is a game literally all about fencing. I can understand being averse to parrying mechanics in combat, but in this case I think it's quite understandable why it would be the cornerstone of the whole thing. In fact, nothing else would make much sense.
Atreyu666: It's understandable, yes, but I still suck at parrying and always will! But I'll give the game a try anyway, probably on "easy" :)
There are plenty of things I suck at in games, to the point where it's sometimes difficult to find something fun to play. All I'm saying is, in some cases a game would not be made "better" by being made more like something someone likes.

00063: My problem with this game... puny humies use tiny toothpicks as weapons.
I'm not sure I follow. You mean as opposed to giant anime weapons bigger than the person carrying them?
Breja: There are plenty of things I suck at in games, to the point where it's sometimes difficult to find something fun to play. All I'm saying is, in some cases a game would not be made "better" by being made more like something someone likes.
All of my life I was looking for the one game that pull all of my triggers, the game of my dreams. It went to a point where I started programming my own stuff... Well, at least I tried but I wasn't good. But nowadays I know that I have some very good games but almost each one has flaws.