It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The journey gets longer.

Dreamfall Chapters, the Kickstarter-funded episodic story-driven adventure that blends dreams and reality with choice-and-consequence mechanisms and follow-up to the point-and-click adventure The Longest Journey and the fantasy action-adventure Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, got itself an all-new Book 3!

If you already own the game, the newest episode will be available for download right away - see below for more info on how to get it. If you don’t, the game is available 50% off for the first 24 hours, and then launches into a six day long 25% discount, that is until Thursday, July 2nd, at 5:59 PM GMT - there’s no better time to grab it!

You can also get the Dreamfall Chapters Season Pass: Special Edition, which includes a digital art book, two short stories, a digital FLAC and MP3 soundtrack, a map of Europolis for the esteemed tourist, and more.

Explore more Dreamfall stories in Book Three of Dreamfall Chapters, DRM-free on GOG.com.

How to install the upgrade:

1) Via GOG Galaxy - simply wait for GOG Galaxy to download and install the update by itself.
2) Via the GOG Website- get the new episode as a manual patch from your GOG.com shelf.
I'm waiting for the addition of spanish language.
yay. that was a short wait. hopefully it was worth it! Can't wait to play it tonight.
Hi,

in this "Whats Updated" Topic is written:

Important note: until now book 3 is only available in English.Localisations (French subs and German subs and audio) will follow in a later update.

If this is right:
Why it is not mentioned in the News?
Downloading ~6GB to trash it again because of incomplete Informations?!?

mfg Expert173
Hi!

My game is still not downloading and tI only have extras on my downloading links. No game, no patches, no nothing. I installed the Galaxy last night but this morning it's still not downloading.

Does anywone still have this problem?

*refreshed it and a big INSTALL button popped up. It doesn't do anything :(
Post edited June 26, 2015 by Neela307
Blandead:
Leroux: Thanks! I'll definitely get it at some point, but I think I'll still wait to the end of the year then or whenever all episodes are released and problems smoothed out. I didn't expect the episodes to be that long though, nice. Sounds like it's probably more than two times as long as The Wolf Among Us.
Did you play the first Dreamfall or The Longest Journey? I assume you didn't cause i doubt you would even ask the question in that case. I would say for total enjoyment these games are required to play before Chapters, at least first Dreamfall, but if you don't mind more standard point and click gameplay and graphics, The Longest Journey would be the best place to start. Even if you can watch a recap without playing previous games, i wouldn't count experience as the same and there is no need to rush such fantasic tale that Longest Journey/Dreamfall trilogy is. I would say it is better to enjoy it fully.
Post edited June 26, 2015 by WarDN
Leroux: Would anyone mind to tell me anything I need to know to make an informed decision about getting the game (now) or not? Things like:

- Does it hold up to the Telltale games like The Wolf Among Us, in terms of presentation and story-telling?
- How long are the episodes?
- Is there an ETA for the final release (all episodes done)?
- Is the extra stuff like soundtrack and art worth it? Is the music in the game remarkable?
- Are there any known technical issues with it?
- What's that about missing patch and such - does the game suffer from a lack of support on GOG?

Thanks! :)
A slightly longer answer. :)

- Storytelling is top notch. It's much more complex lore than anything Telltale puts out; that particularly applies to e.g. their Walking Dead series, which is more of a who-dies-next endeavour. Chapters' 3D environments are by far superior to Telltale's 'diorama' type scenes; however, Telltale's engine is explicitly geared towards cinematic presentation, so their way of displaying facial expression is much better and their animation far more extensive. Telltale has more than a dozen animators at work (and even outsources) – RTG has just one. That's easy math. ;)

- Book 1 clocks in at about 4, Book 2 at about 6 hours, leaving Telltale way behind again. These are all 'first playthrough' numbers though, you can of course get through these Books much faster. However, it's pretty safe to say that the entire game will easily reach the 20 hour mark. Mind you that a lot of that time is spent wandering and exploring the 3D environments.

- Yes and no. RTG really WANTS to be done this year, but it's becoming more and more out of the question. I'd estimate February/March 2016 for the full game right now.

- The music is indeed remarkable and Simon Poole was nominated for an award already. I'll gladly link to the wiki page I set up, there's about as much info as you'd ever want. Also, don't forget that you can listen to the soundtrack on bandcamp for free!
http://tlj.wikia.com/wiki/Music_of_Dreamfall_Chapters
http://simonpoole.bandcamp.com/releases
The artbook for Book 1 is also stunning. Unfortunately, the art of further books is reserved to Kickstarter backers.

- There are technical issues, but quite opposed to what you're used to from Telltale, RTG is not leaving their episodes to rot after release. There are constant patches. The main problem with Chapters is the performance, which is simply not great. Still, RTG intends to port the entire game to Unity 5 come Book 4; they're hoping for a considerable performance boost.

- The patches are issued first on Steam, where they can be tested on live Valve guinnea pigs without ruining people's games. For that reason, GOG sees the patches considerably later. They're absolutely coming tough. If not as individual executables, then certainly whenever a new Book is released.
Post edited June 26, 2015 by Vainamoinen
Leroux: Would anyone mind to tell me anything I need to know to make an informed decision about getting the game (now) or not? Things like:

- Does it hold up to the Telltale games like The Wolf Among Us, in terms of presentation and story-telling?
- Is the extra stuff like soundtrack and art worth it? Is the music in the game remarkable?
- What's that about missing patch and such - does the game suffer from a lack of support on GOG?

- Didn't play The Wolf Among Us but Dreamfall Chapters have similarities with The Walking Dead: they are both adventure games with many dialogues and choices to make. But Chapters world is more open (two hub locations quite huge), you control the camera and there are a few puzzles. About the storytelling, unfortunately, the story doesn't really move forward in the first two Books. But the dialogues and the universe are still great and TLJ and Dreamfall:TJ stories are excellent.
- As for me, the two first episodes were much longer than a TWD season 1 episode. I think I spent six hours or more in the second Book of Chapters. Usually, I think people finish each Book between four or five hours (maybe six for Book Two). Add one or two hours if you want to explore or are stucked by somme puzzles.
- They'll try their best to release all the five episodes before 2016. First, it was before October 2015 but I wouldn't bet on this date.
- For now, extra stuff is rare. All the goodies will be released when the DVD version will be ready, which means after or when the final episode can be downloaded. The music is beautiful. You can hear the soundtrack from the first episode (by Simon Poole) on Bandcamp.
- Some technical issues, especially in the first days following the release of an episode but the devs are quite reactive. As for me, no real problem except for the translation bugs.
- Sometimes you have to download a patch, sometimes you have to download again the installer. GOG.com is not always clear about it. You might check the Red Thread Games forum if GOG.com doesn't warn you in case of update.
Post edited June 26, 2015 by Nanoloque

I'll go ahead and give my two cents too, since my thoughts differ slightly from other posts:

- For me, not at all. TWAU is one of my favourite games and I just played the latest episode of TFTB today and I've never derived half as so much joy from a The Longest Journey game. That isn't to say that they're worthless, they're quite gorgeous and often dazzle, but they always feel kind of juvenile to me. There isn't anything very memorable in the substance. Worth giving a spin regardless, especially if you're hungry for a real story-driven RPG, but I'd say the hype overstates it a bit. (Chapters is next to worthless unless you've played the preceding two, by the way. Don't be put off by the graphics, they're very quaint and beautiful in their own way once you get used to them, and there are nice early-2000s-lookin websites to help you out with the old school puzzles.)

- About six hours each, but they often feel shorter, there's a lot of running around.

- Before the end of the year, apparently.

- Oh yeah. I listen to the soundtrack all the time, some of the tracks are generic as is inevitable in video games but a lot of them are really special and evocative. Thumbing through the art book was great. Atmosphere is where this game stands out.

- A lot of people have issues. I've never had any problem myself though, and I've wrestled with Telltale games in the past.

- I've never had a problem before today, hopefully this is an anomaly. Edit: It just all started to install after like twenty minutes of not messing with it, so even this error blew over basically without incident for me. Gog's in the clear IMO.
Post edited June 26, 2015 by muhreeah

- for me dreamfall chapters it's really great, a mastepiece. the wolf among us, it's good but not a masterpiece. just my 2 cent.
- long enought... but there is not real episode, it's only one great game in develop...
- no
- I fall in love with Reborn, just watch the first episode trailer....
- the first episode suffer of a little frame drop and little grafical bug... but since the release of book 2 I don't see that anymore.
- no, they release it as soon as possible. it's true that steam version get it first but just few hours/days, so it's not a lot of time to wait.
Nvm... account refresh needed.
Post edited June 26, 2015 by blotunga
Wow, thanks for all the answers, and my apologies for not replying directly to all of them, but they're much appreciated!

To clarify a bit, I did play through The Longest Journey and Dreamfall already, but I have to admit even though I partially liked them, they didn't make me a total fanboy. And they didn't entirely convince me that everything related must have good story-telling. In fact, I actually thought the first two games were kind of a mess in that regard. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the setting and lore and some of the dialogues, in parts I found them very promising and immersive. But in general I thought that the first game was too longwinded both regarding the dialogues (monologues?) and the overall gamelength (was a very long journey for me to complete it, too, took me over a decade). And some parts I thought overly silly, e.g. the confrontation with Roper Klacks in his tower. Not to speak of some of the puzzles. With Dreamfall, on the other hand, I fell in love pretty soon and breezed through it because I found it so engaging, but the story-telling seemed to have taken a big hit half-way through, and ultimately I found it disappointing because the second half was such a jumbled and disjointed mess.

Telltale I don't like as a company, they have abyssmal customer service, their engine isn't all that good technically, and their obsession with QTEs is pretty off-putting, but I'm currently playing through TWAU and I'm rellay enjoying the story-telling, art design, voice-acting, music and cinematic presentation, so I was wondering if Dreamfall Chapters offered a similar experience to that, since I don't really know what to expect of the new approach. If it's like Dreamfall, only with more coherent story-telling, of course that might be even better, and I guess making choices would be a welcome change to the long monologues in TLJ.
Post edited June 26, 2015 by Leroux
More puzzling stuff... DFC was just updated to 3.0.0.3 ... as opposed to yesterday's 2.6.0.8

What changed? Anyone? Anyone?

Official answer?

No?
Vainamoinen: More puzzling stuff... DFC was just updated to 3.0.0.3 ... as opposed to yesterday's 2.6.0.8

What changed? Anyone? Anyone?

Official answer?

No?
Check your changelog. Click the game, "More", "Changelog".
Now when's Book 4 coming out? I need my fix damn it! *shaking* =P

Yeah, I already breezed through part 3. It took me about three-ish hours, even with checking out most things and eavesdropping on bystander conversations. Seemed a little more condensed and less branching like the previous two.

I'm very much enjoying the story thus far though. And Crow is finally back! :)
Is this the last Book or will there be more?