It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Conquering galaxies far far away.

Distant Worlds: Universe is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 67% launch discount until December 26.
Welcome to a sprawling 4x space RTS-with pause filled with life, challenges, and opportunity. Galactic storms, alien civilizations, black holes, space pirates and monsters - they are all in a collision course with your ambitions, as you explore up to 14,000 star systems made up of 50,000 planets and make your own destiny.

Check out the rest of the Slitherine Ltd. space epics which arrived together with this at GOG.com.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited December 05, 2017 by maladr0Id
mechmouse: £45 for it non-discounted price seems rather high.
Slitherine made or published games are usually high priced.
Painted_Doll: Distant Worlds Universe - Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuXzIAdwiCCzPk_REYjI2iVatlXVRD0qZ
hey thanks! :)
IainMcNeil: Distant Worlds was started many years ago and some decisions early on tied the engine to IE and WMP. With hindsight these are not great decisions but at the time it didn't seem to be an issue.
immi101: i guess we all were young once and thought IE was good ;)

I admit my main worry is what this means to the playability of the game under linux with wine.
If it is just the Galactopedia not working, as indicated by the post above, that may be tolerable.

but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about that out there

//edit:
after watching some youtube videos, the lack of the Galactopedia probably would suck if you are new to the game
He he,same here...I use wine* ^^
But I can live without Galactopedia,DuckDuckGo is my friend :)

*or my old Windows7
HOORAY!!!.. was wondering when this was going to happen... and here i bought Distant Universe direct from Slitherine the other day :(
While this looks intriguing, its complexity kind of scares me off. That and I'm not a big fan of real-time gameplay in 4Xs.
OMG !

This game has ruined all other 4X Space games for me.

Distant Worlds: Universe consists of these:

Distant Worlds : Distant Worlds (original game)
Distant Worlds : Return of the Shakturi (first expansion)
Distant Worlds : Legends (second expansion)
Distant Worlds : Shadows (third expansion)
Distant Worlds : Universe (fourth expansion & wraps all expansions into one)

The expansions are no cheapy DLC, they pretty much full games on top of the base engine.

There is so much depth and detail to this game it's unbelievable.
All kinds of automation options - you can set this to play your Empire for you if you wish.
Design your own ships/bases/Fleets
Battles are real - not video clips like in several other 4X Space games.
The background activity/economy/supplies/wars/etc is just amazing how all this can happen in real time.

Truly the new Gold standard for 4X Space games.

Mr.Mumbles: While this looks intriguing, its complexity kind of scares me off. That and I'm not a big fan of real-time gameplay in 4Xs.
It's pausable real time, and has multiple speeds, form 1/4 speed to 4x speed.

Can definitely be a challenge learning, but the level of automation can help ease you into to things.
Post edited December 06, 2017 by wanderer_27
Had to buy a second copy here.
Own the boxed version and all expansions. They only needed a simple key to play, but I like the idea of no need for updates ever.

Looks like time to buy them all again to get them DRM free.

Thanks to the Slitherine and gog for bringing them here.
I just bought this on Steam, and hopefully it will arrive on GOG Connect as well.

I'm eager to give this game a try asap.
Bye bye Stellaris.
pmcollectorboy: Bye bye Stellaris.
lol people still play that broken half-game ?

it should be nice and fixed around 2037. hopefully I'll still be around to give it another go. :P
IainMcNeil: Thanks for the support guys.

Distant Worlds was started many years ago and some decisions early on tied the engine to IE and WMP. With hindsight these are not great decisions but at the time it didn't seem to be an issue. The game just needs the components installed, it does not need to be your default browser.

The team are working on a sequel and this doesn't have any of those requirements so please don't pass on the game just because of this!

Thanks for your understanding.

Iain McNeil
Development Director
Slitherine & Matrix Games
please add achievements to this game so I can buy it.

why is there achievements for fat steamers, and not for nice gog-folk ? :/
Post edited December 06, 2017 by falloutttt
immi101: this looks pretty cool (except for the price)

System requirements
Additional Notes: Requires Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer
immi101: what?
not sure I can support that in good conscience :p
THANK YOU so much for pointing that out!

I have wanted this game for a long time and almost bought it from gog but decided to read the comments here first. I am neither using IE nor media player, both are gone from all my windows systems immediately after installation and replaced by non-microsoft programs.

If these are the requirements I will not buy this game! Looking the the game requirements on other websites (i. e. amazon) only Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 is listed as requirement...?! I have no problem with that, but IE and windows media player are a no-go.
high rated
immi101: this looks pretty cool (except for the price)

what?
not sure I can support that in good conscience :p
RainbowDragon: THANK YOU so much for pointing that out!

I have wanted this game for a long time and almost bought it from gog but decided to read the comments here first. I am neither using IE nor media player, both are gone from all my windows systems immediately after installation and replaced by non-microsoft programs.

If these are the requirements I will not buy this game! Looking the the game requirements on other websites (i. e. amazon) only Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 is listed as requirement...?! I have no problem with that, but IE and windows media player are a no-go.
WMP is needed for the intro movie and IE for the Galactopedia, both of which you can play without. There are lots of tutorial videos available and a very active community so you can probably survive without the Galactopedia.
Thanks for your reply and clarification, that sounds good to me - I can live without the intro and the Galactopedia, so I guess I will get the game after all from here :-)!
Hmm, that looks very complex. On the one hand, I do not have so much time for playing, and on the other almost all other games are quite simple, so a bit of complexity would be nice. I guess it depends on the steepness of the learning curve and the meaningfulness of the complexity. Tedious micromanaging is just tedious. It could be great though. More reviews please.
Post edited December 06, 2017 by Trilarion