It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Conquering galaxies far far away.

Distant Worlds: Universe is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 67% launch discount until December 26.
Welcome to a sprawling 4x space RTS-with pause filled with life, challenges, and opportunity. Galactic storms, alien civilizations, black holes, space pirates and monsters - they are all in a collision course with your ambitions, as you explore up to 14,000 star systems made up of 50,000 planets and make your own destiny.

Check out the rest of the Slitherine Ltd. space epics which arrived together with this at GOG.com.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited December 05, 2017 by maladr0Id
Themken: This one has space lanes too :-(
No, it's doesn't.

It's truly brilliant game. Quite complex, in a good way. Organic, natural complexity, not an artificial one, like for example in Stellaris.
Post edited December 05, 2017 by yxomoron
Themken: This one has space lanes too :-(
yxomoron: No, it's doesn't.
Sure looks like it in the trailer though.
Distant Worlds Universe - Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuXzIAdwiCCzPk_REYjI2iVatlXVRD0qZ
Themken: Sure looks like it in the trailer though.
Those are just (optional) lines on zoomed out map, so you can see where ships are going. But you can send them anywhere really. If you have enough space fuel :)
IainMcNeil: Distant Worlds was started many years ago and some decisions early on tied the engine to IE and WMP. With hindsight these are not great decisions but at the time it didn't seem to be an issue.
i guess we all were young once and thought IE was good ;)

I admit my main worry is what this means to the playability of the game under linux with wine.
If it is just the Galactopedia not working, as indicated by the post above, that may be tolerable.

but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about that out there

//edit:
after watching some youtube videos, the lack of the Galactopedia probably would suck if you are new to the game
Post edited December 05, 2017 by immi101
Themken: Sure looks like it in the trailer though.
No space lanes. Range is fuel dependent in any direction.
This is the best space strategy I have ever played and I had played lots of them. I discarded other space 4X after playing Distant Worlds. This game can offer you everything you might expect from this kind of game:
-vast and open (no star lanes!) space; you can travel wherever you want (if you have appropriate engines, fuel cells and reactor),
-planets, moons, asteroid belts - everything moves according to Kepler's laws,
-lots of space monsters and pirates; certain kind of monster can devour the entire galaxy with the lapse of time if you fail to stop it,
-random events,
-heroes!
-ship constructor,
-very interesting exploration: you explore star systems, survey planets for resources, discover lost ancient technology and reveal eerie galaxy history abot ancient evil which one day may return,
-great economy and production model: every component which you want to place on your battleship requires not only money but also certain amount of resources (steel, chromium, lead, gold etc.). No resources? No ship! Go and search for them in the vast and dangerous space.
book99: No space lanes. Range is fuel dependent in any direction.
Yes, glad several of you corrected me. Thanks to this I will now have a look at the game.
Interesting. The screenshots remind me of that "official" map of the Star Trek map that I have seen many times.

How user-friendly is the interface? Looks a bit bloated, but that's not an uncommon first impression for strategy games.
The best 4x out there, of course this is a personal opinion, but again, imo no other 4x game comes even close to this masterpiece, let's not even start with modern ones.

Prices for Slitherine's games are always high, and they don't go on sale very often, but damn if 4x in space are your thing, you gotta try this game at all costs.

Simple example, you can micro-manage everything or you can automate some aspects and manage what's left, but you also can simply choose to only manage a single ship in the empire you created, the AI will take care of everything else.
Mother of Good Old Games answered to our prays - Slitherine so longly awaited is finally here with a masterpiece and one of the most complex and great space 4X.
achievements, we demand achievements!! D:
"Distant Worlds: Universe" is one of the best 4X space games and I'm very happy that it has arrived on GOG.
Dang, and I just bought this on Steam not too long ago. Hopefully it gets some GOG Connect action in the future, it's really a great game
I insta-bought all 4 (Pandora, Polaris Sector, Star Hammer & Distant Worlds) of Slitherine's releases today on GOG. That's a lot of sci-fi gaming goodness for me over the holidays. :)