It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

To arms, my noble Saxon knights!

Defender of the Crown, a 1986 turn-based strategy classic, originally launched on the Commodore Amiga, is available in all it's pixelated glory on GOG.com, for $5.99!

We are happy to announce a new partnership with Cinemaware that will bring plenty of mouth-watering classics in their best available incarnations. Starting with Defender of the Crown, more classic titles from Cinemaware will release on GOG.com with both PC and emulated Commodore Amiga versions. Yes, the graphically superior, awesome, beautiful and shiny Amiga versions!

Today's release is a wonderful gem straight from the 80s. Back in the day, Defender of the Crown set a new standard for graphical presentation and innovative, fresh gameplay. As the leader of an initially sparse pack of Saxon knights, building up your army and influence as you proceed, you'll have to stick it to the Normans in an effort to gain control of the war-torn medieval England. Your strategic prowess as well as your sword fighting skills will be severely tested. This turn-based strategy classic will have you saving damsels in distress with your blade, jousting with fearsome knights, and besieging Norman castles - all the while reveling in the Amiga quality sound and beautiful graphics.

Defeat those pesky Normans and unite England in Defender of the Crown, for $5.99 on GOG.com.
Post edited September 09, 2014 by JudasIscariot
This release is a pleasant surprise for me.
It's a game I remember very fondly!

Is the remastered version coming to gog as well?
That looks really well made and faithful to the original (the description also mentions that they restored content that was cut from the old versions)
Players can also expect never-before-seen screens and material that were cut from the original titles
Wishlisted for now.
Woah didnt see this coming! Ta!
DonRumata1: Can anyone corroborate Wishbone's impressions? I haven't played any games through RockLobster, and it's troubling to hear Cinemaware might have botched their first impression.
He's right about the mp3s.
Great news, I'm waiting for "Centurion: Defender of Rome" now! :)
Darling_Jimmy: I got this a few years ago when Cinemaware was giving away all the ROMs for free, but I'll buy it here anyway as a symbolic gesture, if nothing else. Also, I'll consider it a vote for more Amiga games.
Yeah I remember this one too, wasn't too long ago. But it's great the good old games are now back!
And remasters and ipods and icucumbers and emulatorpods!
Amiga Forever and WinUAE can be a bit time consuming to get configured properly, so it's great if GOG can get that horrid business taken care of.
Well not totally horrible, but even for someone who knows what those buttons do (well lot of them) it still sometimes puzzles me what the hell am I supposed to do now the game isn't starting aargh :)

Cinemaware is.... man these people must be like eighty! :p

edit: btw amiga emulation is sound-wise quite suprisingly demanding from pc. There are some things that can help that like that port audio thingie whatnot... but safest path for good emulation is a kick-ass pc :)
Post edited September 09, 2014 by superstande
So GOG.com has teamed up with Cinemaware?
Well, I hope that we will see Wings here then!
That would be freakin' awesome!
Vythonaut: 1986? Are you kidding? WOW, it has gorgeous graphics for its age! Of course I'm referring to the amiga version.. it seems like a nice game but I read it's too short.. but how short is it really?
From what I remember (haven't played in years), you can win a campaign in less than an hour if you know what you're doing. The thing is, don't think of the game as "short" - it's meant to be something you replay over and over, and what it lacks in deep strategic gameplay (this was not an Avalon Hill/SSI experience), it gains in being breezy and fun.
Wishbone: Initial impressions:

Amiga emulation
- Slow and choppy, especially sound-wise.
- There does not appear to be any way to change any settings.
- Mouse sensitivity is uncomfortably high.

Soundtrack
- The soundtrack is from the Amiga version.
- It was converted to MP3 by a deaf monkey with no sense of rythm. It plays much too slowly.

DOS version
- Runs windowed initially, but can be made fullscreen with alt+enter.
- The sound is painful to listen to (but that is probably 100% accurate).

Overall
- Two versions of a true classic made awful by incompetent developers.
- Seems like a quick cash-grab, not a labour of love.
- Would not recommend.
Unfortunate. Do be sure to write up a review if you feel strongly about this.
Post edited September 09, 2014 by tfishell
Cool. I really hope this means that you will start puplishing more Amiga titles.

Turrican 2, please, please, please!! ;-)
jaltesorensen: Cool. I really hope this means that you will start puplishing more Amiga titles.

Here are the people who can help GOG with Turrican. ;)
http://www.factor5.de/index.php
kalmis666: Woah didnt see this coming! Ta!
It was mentioned days ago on IndieRetroNews and also posted here, make sure to keep an eye on other gog related websites as well!
jaltesorensen: Cool. I really hope this means that you will start puplishing more Amiga titles.

Not that i like to destroy your dream, but:

karnak1: THANK YOU, GOG!

Now, if some time later, we manage to get Playstation, Genesis, SNES (and other platforms) classics here on GOG, I strongly support this new idea of yours.

I confess that, some years ago, I was against the idea of selling emulated games here. I've now changed my mind. Old computer and console classics have the right to be brought from oblivion and restored so that all may learn and play with the past.

Thumbs up!
JudasIscariot: Well, this is a special case for Cinemaware as they did the legal and programming legwork to get the Amiga versions running :) So let's not get all too excited alright? :)
keeveek: I just wonder if you even care about classic games anymore or you just release them only if others do the work for you....
JudasIscariot: We do care about them but

a)

We don't have the time or the resources to make our own emulation software a la RockLobster.

b) If you're wondering why we haven't, for example, we haven't gone into making Amiga games compatible in geberal, then it's most likely because of licensing issues that outweigh any benefit we'd get from that kind of venture.

Besides, we are working on the classics on our own, Hogs of War being the most recent example, but they take time to get done right. If you want us to just throw loose files out there without a care as to whether they work or any support, then we don't swing that way.
Great release. It's a true gem, maybe aged a bit but one of these games many people remember. More of them please. :)

A true GOG if you ask me.
Post edited September 09, 2014 by Trilarion

xwormwood: Not that i like to destroy your dream, but:
Well, there was a PC Version of Turrican 2.

But it would be great if they could sell games for other old systems but pc. Some of the Amiga or even C64 games where (technically, graphically(?) and musically(?!?) far superior to the old DOS games.
I can only imagine how hard GOG must have dropped the mic upon releasing this.