It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

To arms, my noble Saxon knights!

Defender of the Crown, a 1986 turn-based strategy classic, originally launched on the Commodore Amiga, is available in all it's pixelated glory on GOG.com, for $5.99!

We are happy to announce a new partnership with Cinemaware that will bring plenty of mouth-watering classics in their best available incarnations. Starting with Defender of the Crown, more classic titles from Cinemaware will release on GOG.com with both PC and emulated Commodore Amiga versions. Yes, the graphically superior, awesome, beautiful and shiny Amiga versions!

Today's release is a wonderful gem straight from the 80s. Back in the day, Defender of the Crown set a new standard for graphical presentation and innovative, fresh gameplay. As the leader of an initially sparse pack of Saxon knights, building up your army and influence as you proceed, you'll have to stick it to the Normans in an effort to gain control of the war-torn medieval England. Your strategic prowess as well as your sword fighting skills will be severely tested. This turn-based strategy classic will have you saving damsels in distress with your blade, jousting with fearsome knights, and besieging Norman castles - all the while reveling in the Amiga quality sound and beautiful graphics.

Defeat those pesky Normans and unite England in Defender of the Crown, for $5.99 on GOG.com.
Post edited September 09, 2014 by JudasIscariot
Rixasha: Actually it wouldn't surprise me if any offer if Kickstart without Amiga Forever would decimate the sales of the latter.
Maybe. But my guess is that the Kickstart ROM on GOG would outsell the Amiga Forever packages in a few weeks or months and the total revenue would go up for them. Plus official mention of Amiga Forever on GOG might provide another boost for the Amiga Forever packages that come with Workbench and whatnot.

Edit: Oh well, I'm doing the same stuff again I always yell at others for. Pretending to know better than GOG and trying to do their job. :P
Post edited September 09, 2014 by F4LL0UT
Dju: Now go get Centurion Defender of Rome and I'll be in retro gaming nirvana!
Not before they get the best Rome game. Everything is a matter of priorities, and mine, well, matter. :-D

IAmSinistar: In the case of D/Generation, I believe the initial Amiga version is a pretty straight port of the PC version. That's the one I had, though the later Amiga releases probably looked and sounded better.

Love that game, would be great to see it here.
I still cherish my Atari ST version, but I don't know how the other versions looked like. Anyway, any version of it would be welcome. It was a great abstract adventure/puzzler.
karnak1: THANK YOU, GOG!

Now, if some time later, we manage to get Playstation, Genesis, SNES (and other platforms) classics here on GOG, I strongly support this new idea of yours.

I confess that, some years ago, I was against the idea of selling emulated games here. I've now changed my mind. Old computer and console classics have the right to be brought from oblivion and restored so that all may learn and play with the past.

Thumbs up!
JudasIscariot: Well, this is a special case for Cinemaware as they did the legal and programming legwork to get the Amiga versions running :) So let's not get all too excited alright? :)
Ah I wondered if you'd negotiated permission for kickstart and were using it with winuae or something ... but this makes sense.
high rated
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/amiga_forever_is_interested_in_teaming_with_gog
"GOG.com (btw, not affiliated, just a fan) sells DRM-free digital versions of classic games and they have expressed interest in bringing Amiga games to their site. The trouble is, they can't just sell the bare-bones .adf files because they are committed to only releasing versions of games that contain everything needed to run on modern operating systems in a single executable. For example, their DOS releases come with preconfigured versions of the emulator DOSbox to run them, no tinkering required.

People are clamoring to get a hold of classics like Dungeon Master, Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O' Fun, Flashback and Lemmings without spending obscene amounts of money on eBay or resorting to piracy. This is where you come in. If you could partner with GOG to find some way to make this legally, technically and financially feasible, Amiga fans worldwide would be forever grateful.

Think about it." - Me
&
"Hi, Mike here from Amiga Forever. Thanks for your message about GOG. We had contacts with them, but it was years ago. Did you see recent signs of renewed interest?" - Mike Labatt
&
"Hey Barry, thanks for the heads up, we'll look into it." - TurnipSlayerr from GOG
Post edited September 09, 2014 by Barry_Woodward
Barry we get the point now, not need to keep spamming it every few posts ;)
1986? Are you kidding? WOW, it has gorgeous graphics for its age! Of course I'm referring to the amiga version.. it seems like a nice game but I read it's too short.. but how short is it really?
This is so, so great, GOG. The Amiga was my youth, and of course I remember Defender of the Crown and the other Cinemaware titles. I still have some of the original boxes. Will definitely complete my collection of them here on GOG. Thank you!!
PirateNeilsouth: Barry we get the point now, not need to keep spamming it every few posts ;)
I posted twice, with different information. I just thought people interested in seeing more Amiga games released here would like to know that Cloanto, makers of Amiga Forever, are open to partnering with GOG.
Post edited September 09, 2014 by Barry_Woodward
Vythonaut: 1986? Are you kidding? WOW, it has gorgeous graphics for its age!
Came here to post just that - couldn't believe it - beautiful!
Wooooohooooo !

Great news !

Can't wait to buy "King of Chicago" , "Rocket Ranger" & "It Came from the Desert" (with "Antheads" , of course) .
rtcvb32: Wow, this game was made 28 years ago? It looks like it's aged very very well in comparison to other games out at the time...
That was the power of an Amiga back then. It was superior in graphics and sound over PC and Mac.
It is certainly nice to see such a game pop up here, but every time I tried playing this game in the past I bounced off it hard. Maybe I just suck at it. =/

Now bring on Wings!!!
Post edited September 09, 2014 by mistermumbles
HiPhish: No Mac version? I guess that's because of the emulator used. At least with DOS games I could just take the files and dump them into Boxer or der Mac version of DOSBox.
while waiting for official Mac version you can try to install it in Wineskin ( http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com ) - it seems it works fine for me (both Amiga and DOS version) using latest wine engine 1.7.26 without any deep tweaking...
Erich_Zann: On a totally unrelated note, this release reminded me that I want D/Generation on GOG, whatever the version. One of my childhood treasures. Now.
Hmmmmmm....
Hate to say it, but the Genesis version of this (and probably some other classics like Starflight) was the superior version for me. Still a good pickup though.