It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

To arms, my noble Saxon knights!

Defender of the Crown, a 1986 turn-based strategy classic, originally launched on the Commodore Amiga, is available in all it's pixelated glory on GOG.com, for $5.99!

We are happy to announce a new partnership with Cinemaware that will bring plenty of mouth-watering classics in their best available incarnations. Starting with Defender of the Crown, more classic titles from Cinemaware will release on GOG.com with both PC and emulated Commodore Amiga versions. Yes, the graphically superior, awesome, beautiful and shiny Amiga versions!

Today's release is a wonderful gem straight from the 80s. Back in the day, Defender of the Crown set a new standard for graphical presentation and innovative, fresh gameplay. As the leader of an initially sparse pack of Saxon knights, building up your army and influence as you proceed, you'll have to stick it to the Normans in an effort to gain control of the war-torn medieval England. Your strategic prowess as well as your sword fighting skills will be severely tested. This turn-based strategy classic will have you saving damsels in distress with your blade, jousting with fearsome knights, and besieging Norman castles - all the while reveling in the Amiga quality sound and beautiful graphics.

Defeat those pesky Normans and unite England in Defender of the Crown, for $5.99 on GOG.com.
Post edited September 09, 2014 by JudasIscariot
IAmSinistar: Cloanto holds the rights. They have talked with GOG before, and expressed interest in bringing out Amiga games, but it never seems to go any further. GOG has been mute as to their side of the talks.
Yeah, I remember. In one video on YT GOG also mentioned that they were planning to distribute Amiga games even before the GOG beta was launched but the conditions were unacceptable. I really hope this will change eventually. Both sides should benefit greatly from such a deal.

One solution might be to require users to buy a Kick ROM license form GOG before they can purchase Amiga games on GOG. You know, like displaying something along the lines of "you need to buy the Kickstart ROM to access the Amiga catalogue" somewhere on the gamecards, maybe as an alternate buy button, and leading the user to the Kickstart's page in the catalogue. And once the logged in user has a Kickstart license he can buy Amiga games just like any other game in the catalogue. Something like that.

I can't imagine that Cloanto would demand an insanely high price for such a license since all those Amiga Forever packages aren't that expensive either and come bundled with lots of other stuff.
AmigaTitles on GOG: Nice!
Only those by CinemaWare---> not so SuperHot.
But it could encourage others to put up their games, too! ---> Nice!

That´s why I´m getting this one now! :D

Edit: We need Turrican...
Wow, look how amazing the Amiga version looks compared to the Dos version! Thank you Cinemaware and Gog for bringing this game in both versions here! :-) Must say, I'm not too familiar with the Cinemaware games, so gonna wishlist for now (low on budget atm, and have my eye on some of the games on sale today already :-) ), but definitely plan on getting this one later, it looks fun! And obvi, YAY for another good old game joining the catalogue here! *two thumbs up*
F4LL0UT: One solution might be to require users to buy a Kick ROM license form GOG before they can purchase Amiga games on GOG. You know, like displaying something along the lines of "you need to buy the Kickstart ROM to access the Amiga catalogue" somewhere on the gamecards, maybe as an alternate buy button, and leading the user to the Kickstart's page in the catalogue. And once the logged in user has a Kickstart license he can buy Amiga games just like any other game in the catalogue. Something like that.
I think that could be a workable idea. We've bandied an idea about before as well of GOG being a licensee of the Kickstart ROMs, and creating an encapsulated version of UAE that renders the ROM unextractable, so that the emulation is self-contained. I think there are a number of different approaches GOG could take to make this work.

The lack of motion on this leads me to believe that the will isn't there on the part of GOG. Either they don't see enough return in it, or don't want to take on support duties for whole new product line. My guesses.
Older than me + Amiga = Great (for) GOG!!!

Have fun, people, don't think I'd be able to get into this one.
*1 game from your order is NOT compatible with your Mac.
Defender of the Crown*

I want to give you my money gog. comeon, its not like this is new tech!

MAC pls. :)
trusteft: I never played the PC version. Is it closer to the better Atari ST version or the more beautiful but less options Amiga version?|
xwormwood: The Atari ST Version was the best version, while the DOS was the worst one, even the C64 version was better than the DOS version.
I don't think I ever got this on Atari, what exactly makes the ST version the best ? I'd like to know if it's worth tracking down a copy for my ST too.

On a totally unrelated note, this release reminded me that I want D/Generation on GOG, whatever the version. One of my childhood treasures. Now.
Wasn't there a sequel/remake of this centered around Robin Hood? I remember enjoying that one quite a lot. ANy chance it will also come to GOG?
Holy <insert your favorite expletive here>!!!

Not only is this game a gem but you managed to get the Amiga version? That's just pure awesomeness, instabought :-)

Now go get Centurion Defender of Rome and I'll be in retro gaming nirvana!
Erich_Zann: On a totally unrelated note, this release reminded me that I want D/Generation on GOG, whatever the version. One of my childhood treasures. Now.
In the case of D/Generation, I believe the initial Amiga version is a pretty straight port of the PC version. That's the one I had, though the later Amiga releases probably looked and sounded better.

Love that game, would be great to see it here.
But is it possible to get a Guru Meditation Error?
high rated
You're welcome!
Hi Barry,

We have not contacted GOG.com, although we tried it unsuccessfully in the past. We would LOVE to have them as partners - do you have a good contact with them? We would appreciate it if you might be able to help.

We could offer them our titles for download, but the issue is that they are already available for free on our website. GOG would have to do some value-added incentive for anyone looking to download it from their service.

Thanks for the support and help!

The Cinemaware Team
&
Hello Barry,

Thanks for pursuing this for us! We feel you are already part of the team! GOG has already gotten into contact with us, and we will be pursuing this opportunity with them further thanks to YOU!

Please keep up the support and effort to spread this campaign to other fans. We really appreciate it!

The Cinemaware Team
Post edited September 09, 2014 by Barry_Woodward
F4LL0UT: I can't imagine that Cloanto would demand an insanely high price for such a license since all those Amiga Forever packages aren't that expensive either and come bundled with lots of other stuff.
Actually it wouldn't surprise me if any offer if Kickstart without Amiga Forever would decimate the sales of the latter.
karnak1: THANK YOU, GOG!

Now, if some time later, we manage to get Playstation, Genesis, SNES (and other platforms) classics here on GOG, I strongly support this new idea of yours.

I confess that, some years ago, I was against the idea of selling emulated games here. I've now changed my mind. Old computer and console classics have the right to be brought from oblivion and restored so that all may learn and play with the past.

Thumbs up!
There is no way in hell GOG will get the licencing for those consoles apart from maybe the Mega Drive (Genesis), as Sega is already selling Mega Drive games packaged in an emulator.
IndieRetroNews mentioned this release was coming last week, you guys should really bookmark that site!

www.indieretronews.com