It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experience the second era of scientific discovery and step aboard the Helios, a colossal vessel born from Nikola Tesla’s vision. Close to the Sun adventure game is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM. Join journalist Rose Archer who enters Helios in search of her sister and quickly discovers that not all is as it seems…

Until 12th May, 2 PM UTC, Close to the Sun and Deliver Us The Moon games receive a 25% discount on GOG.COM. If you already own Deliver Us The Moon or decide to buy both mentioned titles from Wired Productions the discount on Close to the Sun will rise to 35%, also until 12th May, 2 PM UTC.
takezodunmer2005: Yes, but my edit was clearly noting that fact, re-read the entire post, not just the skimmed keywords...

EDIT:Epic may have DRM Free titles yet they still have ones that mandate the launcher to run, so my point still stands as GoG doesn't require a launcher for theirs! (DXMD still needs to fix their DLCs though!)[/i]
BreOl72: You mean that edit from 7 minutes ago?
My comment was made 35 minutes ago.
The micro edit was made to underline the already edited text AFTER you posted yours as my original post was made 41 minutes to your 38 minutes... I am done here.
Welcome back Miss Kat... Archer!
Oh wait...
arrua: How come the game costs three times as much in Spain? 15 euros vs 5.50 dollars.
Digital_CHE: Check the price on Steam.. The difference in the regional pricing is more huge...
https://steamdb.info/app/968870/
What I mean is, why the price difference depending on where the buyer lives? If distribution costs were something to take into account, for example, I would understand some price differences. But these products are the same for everybody. I don´t get it.
arrua: What I mean is, why the price difference depending on where the buyer lives?
Because people don't make the same amount of money in different countries (even if working in the same job).

Edit:
Average income/year in Spain ~ €26.000 (=28.200 US$)
Average income/year in Argentina ~ €8.900 (= 9.700 US$)
Post edited May 05, 2020 by BreOl72
arrua: What I mean is, why the price difference depending on where the buyer lives?
BreOl72: Because people don't make the same amount of money in different countries (even if working in the same job).
Ok. But in the same continent and even in the same country, there are big differences as well, even if working in the same job.

Don´t get me wrong, I can´t say I´m against it. But this kind of policies should go deeper in our way of life and be much more complex. More like the way taxes should work.

And I stop here. I´m offtopic-ing too much.
arrua: Ok. But in the same continent and even in the same country, there are big differences as well, even if working in the same job.
Sure, but the differences inside a country are related to the education you got and the job you work in.
There are high pay jobs and low pay jobs in every country. And yes - it sucks if you're on the low(er) end of the wage-scale, but what can you do?

But the differences I talked about, have nothing to do with education or job...a plumber in Argentina earns less than a plumber in Spain. A teacher in Argentina earns less than a teacher in Spain, etc.

And, of course - there are people with high pay jobs, and people with low pay jobs, in Argentina, too.

It's just that even the high pay jobs in Argentina still make less money than their Spanish counterparts.

And now imagine someone in Argentina would have to pay the same price for a game, than a guy in Spain, who earns roughly three times as much as the Argentinian guy...
arrua: Ok. But in the same continent and even in the same country, there are big differences as well, even if working in the same job.
BreOl72: Sure, but the differences inside a country are related to the education you got and the job you work in.
There are high pay jobs and low pay jobs in every country. And yes - it sucks if you're on the low(er) end of the wage-scale, but what can you do?

But the differences I talked about, have nothing to do with education or job...a plumber in Argentina earns less than a plumber in Spain. A teacher in Argentina earns less than a teacher in Spain, etc.

And, of course - there are people with high pay jobs, and people with low pay jobs, in Argentina, too.

It's just that even the high pay jobs in Argentina still make less money than their Spanish counterparts.

And now imagine someone in Argentina would have to pay the same price for a game, than a guy in Spain, who earns roughly three times as much as the Argentinian guy...
That first paragraph in your message is not entirely true. Inside the same country, depending on the region, there are big income gaps as well. In Spain, there´s a big difference whether one lives in, let´s say, Barcelona, or Cádiz, for example. I´m pretty sure Germany is not an exception in this regard. And if we compare countries on a same continent, there are big differences as well.

It´s not fair. In anyway. As I said, I´m not against it. But it has big flaws. It´s far from being perfect.
low rated
BreOl72: Because people don't make the same amount of money in different countries (even if working in the same job).

Edit:
Average income/year in Spain ~ €26.000 (=28.200 US$)
Average income/year in Argentina ~ €8.900 (= 9.700 US$)
That argument has already been countered. Regional prices are NOT aligned to wages.

And even if they were, that'd be a mistake. It's the same for any luxury good/service, I don't see why videogames should be any different.
arrua: That first paragraph in your message is not entirely true. Inside the same country, depending on the region, there are big income gaps as well. In Spain, there´s a big difference whether one lives in, let´s say, Barcelona, or Cádiz, for example. I´m pretty sure Germany is not an exception in this regard. And if we compare countries on a same continent, there are big differences as well.

It´s not fair. In anyway. As I said, I´m not against it. But it has big flaws. It´s far from being perfect.
It’s not fair that the average plumber in Spain gets three times more of income for work than the average plumber in Argentina.
And yes, the average income by profession takes into account both the lowest paid in this profession in the country and the highest paid. That is why it is called AVERAGE.
And for the same work it is different in different countries ... which is "not fair".
This is our not fair world. Look around: I do not know where you are and what you will see, but almost everything that you see will cost different prices in different countries. Even the damn big mac in the McDuck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index
Or movie ticket. Yep, same movie.

You can always move to a country where you will like the prices in GOG more. But, as practice shows, migration flows (including illegal ones) are usually directed towards richer countries. But people like you are not in a hurry to move to a "cheap" country.

Zoidberg: That argument has already been countered. Regional prices are NOT aligned to wages.

And even if they were, that'd be a mistake. It's the same for any luxury good/service, I don't see why videogames should be any different.
In the sense in which you use the word luxury, everything except food and water refers to luxury. In the real world, this does not work this way.

Regional prices are used to maximize profits:
it is obvious that in a country where the average income is 4 times lower than in yours it will be much more difficult to sell at the same price effectively. You can set 59.99$ and sell 1000 copies of the game, or you can set a regional price of 24.99$ and sell 5000 copies of the game. What is more profitable - you will count.
At the same time, it makes no sense to lower the price below a certain level - sales will cease to noticeably increase (saturation of the sales market).
To "find" this very balanced price is the most economically viable tactic.
arrua: How come the game costs three times as much in Spain? 15 euros vs 5.50 dollars.
Digital_CHE: Check the price on Steam.. The difference in the regional pricing is more huge...
https://steamdb.info/app/968870/
Wait, what? The Saudi-Arab/Kuwaiti oil princes only have to pay US$ 7 to 8?
In Norway, too, it's cheaper compared to the EU.
I guess i have to move to the really rich countries to pay less for them games, lol.

Well, on the other hand, with the oil price having gone to shit, they are probably poor bastards now...
Yeah, from what I've been reading this is basically a numbers filed off walking sim Bioshock.
Zoidberg: FYI PROSPECTIVE BUYERS!

There is no key rebinding implemented in those games. Non-qwerty users be damned, I guess.
Thanks for the heads-up. Game devs really do hate left-handers these days...
Is this as blatant a Bioshock rip off as it seems? Am I missing something?
Post edited May 06, 2020 by Martian12
Digital_CHE: This game was EGS exclusive and now is DRMFREE on GOG... That is evolution.
What is "EGS"?

I googled for it, and it said it is Espoon Golfseura ("Espoo Golf Club"). Or alternatively some glass-painting company.

EDIT: Ah, does it mean the Epic store?

Welcome to the wonderful world of regional pricing.

You love it if it means you can get games cheaper than others.
You hate it if it means games will cost more to you than to others.

And so it goes. I try not to think about it too much, and instead concentrate on waiting on sales where I feel the price seems right to me, a price I am willing to pay (even if someone in Argentina or Russia could get it even cheaper).
Post edited May 06, 2020 by timppu
Swedrami: Depends on which definition of DRM-free you're going with of course, but if a client is still mandatory to download, install and especially maintain/update/patch the game in question... well, it's not exactly DRM-free then, is it?
The Epic client is needed only for downloading the game. ("Updating" in this context means the same as downloading, after all with most GOG games you have to re-download the whole game installer in order to "update" it.).

Yes it installs the game at the same time when you download it, but if you zip that install directory and copy it to another PC and uncompress it there, no re-installation is needed. The uncompression of the zip archive is the "installation" (and then possibly the game checks some dependencies when you run it the first time, not sure...).

If you consider it to have DRM because you have to use a "client" and log into the account in order to download the game from the store, in that case all GOG games have DRM too. You can't download your GOG games without logging into your GOG account with a client.

(Fun fact: a web browser is a client, in the server-client model. It is not a server, it is a client.)

Having said that, the handy GOG installers/uninstallers, and the fact that GOG officially supports the game as a DRM-free product, may be good enough reasons to buy the game from GOG instead. At least they are for me.

If you have some issue with an Epic or Steam game when trying to run it without the client or without internet, don't expect their support to care. Like the recent Deus Ex Mankind Divided DLC issue that GOG fixed, Steam nor Epic wouldn't have fixed it because they never promised the game would be DRM-free. There have also been cases where DRM has been added later to a game on the other services.
arrua: What I mean is, why the price difference depending on where the buyer lives? If distribution costs were something to take into account, for example, I would understand some price differences. But these products are the same for everybody. I don´t get it.
Have you never heard of regional pricing before?

The reason they do it, also for digital products, is to maximize income. They figure that in "richer"(?) countries people are more willing to pay more for their entertainment, than in poor Russia or Argentina. If they kept the same higher price everywhere, then people in Russia and Argentina would just pirate (or at least not buy) the product.

Whether that is right or wrong, that's a debate that the humankind have had for millions of years. When a caveman was selling a stick for one rock to someone and for two rocks to another, it might sometimes start wars where sticks and stones were flying.

The pricing has nothing to do with production or delivery costs, anymore than the housing market prices would be dictated by how much it originally cost to build some house. No, the houses and apartments are sold at the highest price that people in the area are willing to pay. Right or wrong? Neither. Or both.
Post edited May 06, 2020 by timppu