It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Outgrowing the simple life.

<span class="bold">Balrum</span>, a tactical, open-world RPG about braving the epic or everyday challenges awaiting in and around your farm, is available now for Windows, Mac and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 40% launch discount.

Darkwood is your adopted home, ever since your family had to settle there 20 years ago. Life has not always been easy but lately a disturbing sense of peril permeates the atmosphere and you intend to find out what evil lurks in waiting.
Your epic travels in this dangerous world of turn-based combat and real-time exploration will be interrupted by calmer moments of maintaining your growing homestead, crafting custom items, and taming a loyal companion to journey with you. Soon you'll become a powerful adventurer that can clear entire dungeons from horrible creatures but don't forget your humble beginnings and the people of Darkwood in their hour of need.

Grow strong and your own vegetables in the diverse RPG world of <span class="bold">Balrum</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 40% discount will last until July 5, 12:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rXnns5lBZnQ
Post edited June 28, 2016 by maladr0Id
Another one from kickstarter. Good to see it on GOG. It's a bit of a mixed bag, but I rather like it.
rampancy: Sigh.

So yeah.

This game requires Java.

Remember when everyone bitched and moaned that the original version of Defender's Quest used Adobe AIR? At least that game didn't require fucking Java.

If the game refuses to launch for you (as it's currently refusing to launch for me), you can check out this thread on the developer forums:

http://balconyteam.com/forums/thread-3902.html

Edit: The game runs fine now that I've installed the latest version of Java 8 using the installer on Oracle's website. It's just that I've been loathe to install JRE 8 on my computer, as it's notorious for messing up the legacy version of Java that I need for some of my other apps.
You can't possibly compare the Adobe AIR crap to Java...
Maxvorstadt: The skill system seems to be the same like in the Gothic games:
Level up, find a teacher, who is hidden somewhere in the world, spend money and learning points.
Okay, so this game has died for me because this is the dumbest skill system one can create!!
That sounds like Ultima 7's system.

At least it isn't the mess that was the Morrowind/Oblivion skill system, where getting perfect stats requires you to play in a very counter-intuitive way (with non-retroactive HP gains on top of that).
rampancy: This game requires Java.
That's disappointing, when a game requires Java it's better when the JRE is just packaged and contained in the game folder, like Project Zomboid.
DampSquib: Yay, bought.
Right.
lol, i saw the game and bought it, cause it looks like old games i played, its one of the few new games i been able to buy that look good to play.

However, when i read the steam review they werent that optimistic, now i read java need to be used to run the game...
i hope i havent bought a bad game , cause then i be really sad.

It seems it has an extensive way of crafting items, omg i read that before, underrail, instabought it and never played it
well i'm gonna downlaod and install it, if i get too much setup problems or nagging about JRE or so, then i uninstall it and let it collect dust.... next to underrail the 'fallout clone', Fallout is way better then any clone.
Post edited June 28, 2016 by gamesfreak64
What is all the talk about Java about? Java is some internet script or something like that, right? So does this mean, you have to be online to play this game, even if it is a single player game?
Isn`t that some kind of DRM?
Maxvorstadt: What is all the talk about Java about? Java is some internet script or something like that, right? So does this mean, you have to be online to play this game, even if it is a single player game?
That's Javascript.
Java is just a programming language. Not sure what all the bitching is about... I'm fairly sure 95% of computers will have Java run times for something...
I read some of the Steam reviews, and although the majority seems to like the game, it seems that the game cannot really decide whether it wants to be a farming/crafting game or an RPG (or at least cannot bring the two concepts together into a satisfying symbiosis), leading me to the conclusion that I might be better off to play Stardew Valley if I want more farming/crafting, or the Eschalon games if I want more RPG.

Anyone who has already played the game and has some insight on this?
adaliabooks: That's Javascript.
Java is just a programming language. Not sure what all the bitching is about... I'm fairly sure 95% of computers will have Java run times for something...
Or like... phones. Or several other devices. Java is on bloody everything, and while it DOES have security vulnerabilities, WHAT THE F*** DOESN'T?
sunshinecorp: Or like... phones. Or several other devices. Java is on bloody everything, and while it DOES have security vulnerabilities, WHAT THE F*** DOESN'T?
Not to mention said vulnerabilities don't come into play unless you're running it in the browser. Which you aren't. Because the browser overlords got tired of its shit. Java without touching the Internet is fine. After all, if someone is in a position to exploit it locally, you're already screwed.
hyperagathon: Not to mention said vulnerabilities don't come into play unless you're running it in the browser. Which you aren't. Because the browser overlords got tired of its shit. Java without touching the Internet is fine. After all, if someone is in a position to exploit it locally, you're already screwed.
Exactly. But for some weird reason, Java is evil.
People, Java is one of the easiest ways to go cross-platform. Ever wonder why Minecraft is on everything?
Maxvorstadt: What is all the talk about Java about? Java is some internet script or something like that, right? So does this mean, you have to be online to play this game, even if it is a single player game?
adaliabooks: That's Javascript.
Edna and harvey : the breakout, i thought this game used java ?
Just installed the Balrum game:
i have java 8 update 91 already installed (64bit) but the game still aks to install it, i cancelled the java setup , the game starts , now i'm gonna check if the game works, if it does then the dev should make sure that the setup checks what java is installed.
<span class="bold">Java is the biggest vulnerability for US computers</span>.

Some of us don't need things on our computer that are like <i>Botched Java patch leaves millions vulnerable to 30-month-old attack. Oracle said the flaw was fixed. Newly released exploit code shows otherwise</i>. As Ars says in that article; "As always, Ars recommends against using Java".

Java's <i>deceptive security patching</i> have neen noted.

Oracle regularly releases patches for severe security vulnerabilities - what about those they haven't found yet (but may be being exploited)..

Java is a big security risk. If you aren't concerned then okay. But at least be aware there are security issues; and make an informed choice.
Attachments:
Oh nice, thought it had been rejected. Will check it out.