It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Cavalary: So 28 games have been released since the floodgates opened, 11 of them regionally priced.
Phc7006: For me, the real surprise is not that, or even the games already on GOG that were moved towards the regional pricing scheme. It's that introducing regional pricing has not brought more games. And that amongst the 11 regionally priced games that have been added to the Catalogue, only 3 would have had any appeal to me ( namely Meridian, Wasteland, Spacecom). Ok, that will vary from one person to another in function of one's taste, but what I mean is that up to now, having made that choice hasn't had any obvious positive consequence for us EU customers.
MIK0: I don't know. There are customers that doesn't care about regional pricing like there're customers that doesn't care about drm. If it is a matter of service a better method to download/manager purchase should have been prioritized.
Phc7006: GOG would obviously alienate its older customer base. Dinosaurs like me. But on the other hand, it would perhaps be balanced by new customers. Although I don't see what would be the advantage of GOG over its competitors then.
Trilarion: Let's say it's not really a 100% satisfactory solution.
Phc7006: And you can't use the store credits to buy discounted games either
You can use store credits to buy discounted games as I just checked this with Seven Cities of Gold :)

If you're not seeing the option to use store credit, then try switching currencies to the one that you have store credit for :) If all else fails and you are still not seeing the store credit on a discounted game then please send us a Support ticket :)
high rated
JudasIscariot: You can use store credits to buy discounted games as I just checked this with Seven Cities of Gold :)

If you're not seeing the option to use store credit, then try switching currencies to the one that you have store credit for :) If all else fails and you are still not seeing the store credit on a discounted game then please send us a Support ticket :)
What I'd like to know is why both currencies can't be used for the same purchase, like PayPal does it - each currency has its own balance n your account, yet if you're purchasing something, in one currency and you run out of money in that currency, PayPal uses funds from your other balance(s) to complete the purchase.

Why isn't something like that possible on GOG?
mrkgnao: (Magog...)
Indeed very useful. Thanks for that tool...

JudasIscariot: You can use store credits to buy discounted games as I just checked this with Seven Cities of Gold :)

Ok, thanks for that. Still had the old discount tickets in mind... My bad
Post edited September 29, 2014 by Phc7006

HypersomniacLive: What I'd like to know is why both currencies can't be used for the same purchase, like PayPal does it - each currency has its own balance n your account, yet if you're purchasing something, in one currency and you run out of money in that currency, PayPal uses funds from your other balance(s) to complete the purchase.

Really, I have no clue, maybe it's a technical issue for now?
HypersomniacLive: What I'd like to know is why both currencies can't be used for the same purchase, like PayPal does it - each currency has its own balance n your account, yet if you're purchasing something, in one currency and you run out of money in that currency, PayPal uses funds from your other balance(s) to complete the purchase.

JudasIscariot: Really, I have no clue, maybe it's a technical issue for now?
Or to prevent people speculating on exchange rates by getting credit in one currency that suddenly changes value against another, multiplying the buying power of their credit in the other currency? Admittedly this would be a pretty rare occurrence, but still, the bookkeeping on the real value against the drifting exchange rates could compound across the board over time.
IAmSinistar: Or to prevent people speculating on exchange rates by getting credit in one currency that suddenly changes value against another, multiplying the buying power of their credit in the other currency? Admittedly this would be a pretty rare occurrence, but still, the bookkeeping on the real value against the drifting exchange rates could compound across the board over time.
Again, I have no clue :) Stuff like this is waaaaay over my head, not my bailiwick etc. etc. :)

(Please note I am not trying to avoid giving answers but I am avoiding giving out answers could turn out to be unintentionally misleading :) )
Post edited September 29, 2014 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: Again, I have no clue :) Stuff like this is waaaaay over my head, not my bailiwick etc. etc. :)

(Please note I am not trying to avoid giving answers but I am avoiding giving out answers could turn out to be unintentionally misleading :) )
No worries, I wasn't expecting confirmation or anything. Merely musing aloud as to possible factors. :)
Phc7006: And that amongst the 11 regionally priced games that have been added to the Catalogue, only 3 would have had any appeal to me ( namely Meridian, Wasteland, Spacecom).
Meridian isn't regionally priced, is it?

IAmSinistar: Or to prevent people speculating on exchange rates by getting credit in one currency that suddenly changes value against another, multiplying the buying power of their credit in the other currency? Admittedly this would be a pretty rare occurrence, but still, the bookkeeping on the real value against the drifting exchange rates could compound across the board over time.
I don't think GOG tracks exchange rate to be able to do that? They just have prices set for each currency separately.
Cavalary: I don't think GOG tracks exchange rate to be able to do that? They just have prices set for each currency separately.
That's true, but I was thinking about the conversion of the credit amount. Say I have $5 USD credit, and I was to spend it as EUR. Is there a flat calculus that GOG uses so that $5 USD always equals the same value of EUR? Or do they, say, calculate what your credit is equivalent to in games, and present those choices, rather than what the current exchange value would buy? That's the issue that I wonder if they are trying to avoid, the fluid values of one currency against another.
Cavalary: Meridian isn't regionally priced, is it?
Nope, it's flat-priced.
Cavalary: I don't think GOG tracks exchange rate to be able to do that? They just have prices set for each currency separately.
At least partially, yes. The USD price that I see (from a regionally priced title) is not the same price that a USA-ian sees, but I do not know if "my" USD price changes with conversion rates over time.

Your FAQ says "legal reasons".
However, for legal reasons, we cannot mix two currencies in one store credit. So, for purchases made in USD, you’ll have a store credit balance in USD and for purchases made in your local currency, you’ll have a separate store credit balance.
So basically if you make purchases in two different currencies, you’ll have two store credit balances.Please keep in mind that funds cannot be transferred from one store credit balance to another.
Post edited September 29, 2014 by Maighstir
high rated
As Cavalary said, GOG doesn't use daily exchange rates - the price of a game is set based on a fixed exchange rate. I'd expect GOG to apply the same in using different currencies from one's store credit to make a purchase.Since GOG uses fixed exchange rates, the amount in EUR is always worth the same amount in USD, no? So, why can't they do the same as PayPal? That's what I'm wondering about.

And to make it clearer, if you want to make a purchase with PayPal using your balance and you have balances in more than one currency, PayPal checks the amount you have in the currency you're trying to make a buy. If that balance is not sufficient to complete the transaction, it draws the equivalent of the missing amount from your other balance(s).

Maighstir: [...]
Your FAQ says "legal reasons".
However, for legal reasons, we cannot mix two currencies in one store credit. So, for purchases made in USD, you’ll have a store credit balance in USD and for purchases made in your local currency, you’ll have a separate store credit balance.
So basically if you make purchases in two different currencies, you’ll have two store credit balances

Please keep in mind that funds cannot be transferred from one store credit balance to another.
I understand this as they do need to present the store credit in two balances, just like PayPal does.
Also, the last sentence (Please keep in mind...) is a separate paragraph from the above when you read it on the FAQ page, I suspect that it's the limited formatting that put it together with the first paragraph you quoted.
Post edited September 29, 2014 by HypersomniacLive
When we will be able to exchange our old discount ticket for the same amount in store credit?
I contacted the support long ago and they said you were working on in and even asked my discount ticket codes, but I never heard from them again.
HypersomniacLive: Also, the last sentence (Please keep in mind...) is a separate paragraph from the above when you read it on the FAQ page, I suspect that it's the limited formatting that put it together with the first paragraph you quoted.
True, I wasn't overly bothered about that though.
MIK0: When we will be able to exchange our old discount ticket for the same amount in store credit?
I contacted the support long ago and they said you were working on in and even asked my discount ticket codes, but I never heard from them again.
Please contact Support in that matter :)