It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Why is The Witcher 3 regionally priced on GOG on release day and not Steam? (for Australians)

Edit: the "loyalty bonus" seems to have vanished today. I haven't been following the forums much since I moved house, is this working as intended?
Post edited May 19, 2015 by Tarnicus
Tarnicus: Why is The Witcher 3 regionally priced on GOG on release day and not Steam? (for Australians)

Edit: the "loyalty bonus" seems to have vanished today. I haven't been following the forums much since I moved house, is this working as intended?
The loyalty bonus was valid only for preorders. The game price reverted back to the full price. Also the game price for the game + season pass minimally increased for Australia.
Post edited May 19, 2015 by Matruchus
Tarnicus: Why is The Witcher 3 regionally priced on GOG on release day and not Steam? (for Australians)

Matruchus: The loyalty bonus was valid only for preorders. The game price reverted back to the full price. Also the game price for the game + season pass minimally increased for Australia.
Thanks for the link :) It seems strange to me that CDRPR would not have it regionally priced on Steam (it was until today) and yet sell it more expensively on GOG. "One world, one price" indeed...
I'm not sure if this is a feature or a glitch, but since I came to Croatia, all the prices for games in the catalog have remained at the base U.S. price for me. This would have been good since I would have been using a card with a U.S. billing address, but I expected that there would be regional prices here (as there was with previous visits) and didn't put any money on my pre-paid card. Now I have to spend the month working on my backlog instead of adding to it. :o
SCPM: I'm not sure if this is a feature or a glitch, but since I came to Croatia, all the prices for games in the catalog have remained at the base U.S. price for me. This would have been good since I would have been using a card with a U.S. billing address, but I expected that there would be regional prices here (as there was with previous visits) and didn't put any money on my pre-paid card. Now I have to spend the month working on my backlog instead of adding to it. :o
There are only 6 games that are regionally priced in Croatia (look for the Romanian (RO) flag):
[url=http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=370&scp=gdspu&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbah&flt=pra~ro~tds~%5Bremoved~&opt=]http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=370&scp=gdspu&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbah&flt=pra~ro~tds~[removed~&opt=[/url]

So you may have simply missed them.
mrkgnao: There are only 6 games that are regionally priced in Croatia (look for the Romanian (RO) flag):
[url=http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=370&scp=gdspu&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbah&flt=pra~ro~tds~%5Bremoved~&opt=]http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=370&scp=gdspu&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbah&flt=pra~ro~tds~[removed~&opt=[/url]

So you may have simply missed them.
Ah, you're right, I didn't know that there were so few. I would have noticed The Witcher 3 + Expansion, but I wasn't aware that there was a price increase on May 18th.
Is there any logic behind the regional pricing of Spacecom (80% off during the Summer Sale)?

Russia $1.69
Brazil $1.99
Australia $2.09
USA $2.49
Germany / Sweden / Switzerland $2.69
United Kingdom $3.39
Romania $3.79

Anyone still wants to tell me that regional pricing is about fairness???
PaterAlf: Is there any logic behind the regional pricing of Spacecom (80% off during the Summer Sale)?

Russia $1.69
Brazil $1.99
Australia $2.09
USA $2.49
Germany / Sweden / Switzerland $2.69
United Kingdom $3.39
Romania $3.79

Anyone still wants to tell me that regional pricing is about fairness???
It's a GOG bug. On May 5, they changed the price from $14.99 to $9.99 in US (and similarly in EU, UK, Ex-Soviet countries, Australasia etc.), but forgot to do it in three regions (EU Eastern Europe (e.g. Romania); Rest of Europe (e.g. Serbia); Most of the World (e.g. China)). These regions (which account for most of the world) continue to pay the older, higher, price in normal times and during sales.

Not that I think that without the bug there is any fairness in regional pricing.
Post edited June 04, 2015 by mrkgnao
It seems that regional pricing (with higher pricing for some regions and not just regional discount for the Ex-Soviet states) is GOG's standard pricing model now. At least that's what one of the developers of The Masterplan told me when I asked him why they chose this pricing model:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_the_masterplan_b560a/post36
PaterAlf: It seems that regional pricing (with higher pricing for some regions and not just regional discount for the Ex-Soviet states) is GOG's standard pricing model now. At least that's what one of the developers of The Masterplan told me when I asked him why they chose this pricing model:

That doesn't explain, though, why a game like D4 is exempt from this.
Grargar: That doesn't explain, though, why a game like D4 is exempt from this.
Because logic doesn't apply to regional pricing. ;)
I guess the devs decided to flatprice it while other devs are complacent like on Steam and don't bother with the pricing and just choose the default store pricing model (regional pricing).
Post edited June 09, 2015 by Matruchus
Matruchus: I guess the devs decided to flatprice it while other devs are complacent like on Steam and don't bother with the pricing and just choose the default store pricing model (regional pricing).
Yep, takes two to tango in this. I mean, as far as I know not even Steam enforces regional pricing, I think? Just has all those recommended prices, or so I read, that indie devs and small publishers tend to just accept (big publishers tend to have their own pricing models), right? So now we can assume GOG does the exact same thing, but it's still a matter of the rights holder accepting or changing it to something else.
Definitely rotten of them, offering regional pricing as default as well, but hardly surprising, and the blame is shared.
PaterAlf: It seems that regional pricing (with higher pricing for some regions and not just regional discount for the Ex-Soviet states) is GOG's standard pricing model now. At least that's what one of the developers of The Masterplan told me when I asked him why they chose this pricing model:

"We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets."

Have to love spin.
These days I'm just waiting for them to drop the "Fair Price Package" entirely.
That's only the next logical step for them.