It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Find out what makes these deadly critters tick.

Looking forward to Tooth and Tail? It's easy to see why: this is a fast-paced RTS starring furious furry animals who will do horrible things to each other for some meat scraps or tactical advantage. Then the questions come rushing in: what kinds of units will I be commanding? How customizable is my army going to be? Can a fox and a chameleon ever agree on matters of political rhetoric?

Andy Schatz, CEO and Creative Director of Tooth and Tail developers Pocketwatch Games, will be joining us in the comments section of this post, today at 8PM UTC, to answer all your questions.
If you have them prepared already, fire away and he will tackle them once he's here.

Have fun, everyone, and remember: no biting or scratching allowed!
I completely understand if this can't be responded to, but any chance of us seeing Monaco release here on GOG?
How many people can skirmish at once?
Marioface5: I completely understand if this can't be responded to, but any chance of us seeing Monaco release here on GOG?
The Monaco codebase got to be such a mess we have a hard time supporting it, let alone moving it to new platforms. That and the mlutiplayer is also reliant on Steamworks. So I think probably not, sorry!
p38lockheed: How many people can skirmish at once?
Up to 4, with 4 additional spectators!
Post edited September 09, 2017 by ajschatz
Okay, I actually do have a few questions:
1. I read (and can see it in the trailer) that even during battles the camera is tied to a single character who, I presume, is controlled (rather) directly. My understanding is that the game is not quite a traditional RTS and shares a few similarities with MOBAs or maybe even Dynasty Warriors (where the player controls a hero who does not quite fight the whole battle on his own but rather contributes to it so his side gets an advantage). Where would you place Tooth and Tail between these kinds of games?
2. Related to my previous question: what is the actual relationship between this player-controlled "commander" and all these fighting masses? My impression is that there's an on-going chaotic battle and the player can organise it a bit. How does this actually work? Who can I control and how do I choose that?
3. What engine is the game running on? Or are you using an original one?

And I apologise if these questions were already answered to some degree or the answers should be obvious.
Post edited September 09, 2017 by F4LL0UT
F4LL0UT: ..... ,
With the commander you control all your units, that have been built and give them commands like hold, attack here, etc. The commander is essentially the mouse cursor in this game. This way you are limited to your direct view and you use commander for scouting. Its essential that you think ahead in this game since if you are away with your commander and have no units in your base at the time of attack then you are done. Check some gameplay videos to see more. Off course you can build defense buildings but that depends on the unit/building stack you selected pre start of the game.
Post edited September 09, 2017 by Matruchus
F4LL0UT: Okay, I actually do have a few questions:
1. I read (and can see it in the trailer) that even during battles the camera is tied to a single character who, I presume, is controlled (rather) directly. My understanding is that the game is not quite a traditional RTS and shares a few similarities with MOBAs or maybe even Dynasty Warriors (where the player controls a hero who does not quite fight the whole battle on his own but rather contributes to it so his side gets an advantage). Where would you place Tooth and Tail between these kinds of games?
2. Related to my previous question: what is the actual relationship between this player-controlled "commander" and all these fighting masses? My impression is that there's an on-going chaotic battle and the player can organise it a bit. How does this actually work? Who can I control and how do I choose that?
3. What engine is the game running on? Or are you using an original one?

And I apologise if these questions were already answered to some degree or the answers should be obvious.
It's definitely still an RTS. You choose to build economic, defensive structures, or warrens (which automatically produce units of your choice), you choose where to build them. You act as the scout for your army. And then you can tell your whole army to move by clicking RMB (or RT on a controller), or groups of units using LMB (or LT). Clicking and releasing the button produces an Attack Move command, while holding the button produces a Move command (or an Attack/Focus Fire command if you are standing right next to an enemy). Since this means that your commander's positioning matters so much, it means that your choice of what to focus on becomes a strategic choice, rather than one of micro. Since you CANT do two things at once, you have to choose, and this adds strategic depth. You can also do things to distract the enemy commander, which can get you an economic advantage as well.
ajschatz: snip
Thank you. This sounds really, really great, right up my alley.

And let me join Wyzzlex in thanking you for splitscreen multiplayer. That option has always been and will always be very dear to me.
1. For a new player, what would be a balanced army composition?

2. What if I wanted a high risk, high reward kind of army?

3. Any favourite units?
Marioface5: I completely understand if this can't be responded to, but any chance of us seeing Monaco release here on GOG?
ajschatz: The Monaco codebase got to be such a mess we have a hard time supporting it, let alone moving it to new platforms. That and the mlutiplayer is also reliant on Steamworks. So I think probably not, sorry!
That's unfortunate, but thank you for the honest response!

As for Tooth and Tail, how friendly is it to people who are terrible at RTS and strategy games in general?
ajschatz: The Monaco codebase got to be such a mess we have a hard time supporting it, let alone moving it to new platforms. That and the mlutiplayer is also reliant on Steamworks. So I think probably not, sorry!
Marioface5: That's unfortunate, but thank you for the honest response!

As for Tooth and Tail, how friendly is it to people who are terrible at RTS and strategy games in general?
I think very! It does rely on the core concepts of RTS, but it gets rid of all the micromanagement and requirements to do 18 different things at once. That said, the story mode still gets quite challenging. I'm actually putting together a video walkthrough right now to help out people that get stuck!
Moritzio: 1. For a new player, what would be a balanced army composition?

3. Any favourite units?
Balanced:
Squirrel (basic infantry, anti air, but kinda squishy)
Toad (self-destructs, can take out large numbers of units)
Falcon (flying unit, many enemies can't hit them)
Ferret (mortar unit for taking out enemy defenses)
Owl (pukes out zombie mouse paratroopers for free, can help you in a low-econ game)
Machine Gun Turret (basic defensive structure that can hit air)

High Risk:
Mole (rush unit, maybe you can cheese out an early win, or suprise them behind enemy lines later on)
Lizard (ranged, speedy, great for hit and run attacks)
Snake (spits poison that applies a stacking dot to an enemy, great for taking out high health untis and structures)
Chameleon (super tanky, can stealth)
Fox (sniper range and quick, get one out early and soak the enemy's economy by picking off unit after unit)
Landmine (once it's built, it can't be destroyed... without blowing it up -- place them in chokepoints and hope your enemy doesn't scout it before it's built)

I'm a big fan of landmine and lizard!
Post edited September 09, 2017 by ajschatz
Moritzio: 1. For a new player, what would be a balanced army composition?

3. Any favourite units?
ajschatz: Balanced:
Squirrel (basic infantry, anti air, but kinda squishy)
Toad (self-destructs, can take out large numbers of units)
Falcon (flying unit, many enemies can't hit them)
Ferret (mortar unit for taking out enemy defenses)
Owl (pukes out zombie mouse paratroopers for free, can help you in a low-econ game)
Machine Gun Turret (basic defensive structure that can hit air)

High Risk:
Mole (rush unit, maybe you can cheese out an early win, or suprise them behind enemy lines later on)
Lizard (ranged, speedy, great for hit and run attacks)
Snake (spits poison that applies a stacking dot to an enemy, great for taking out high health untis and structures)
Chameleon (super tanky, can stealth)
Fox (sniper range and quick, get one out early and soak the enemy's economy by picking off unit after unit)
Landmine (once it's built, it can't be destroyed... without blowing it up -- place them in chokepoints and hope your enemy doesn't scout it before it's built)

I'm a big fan of landmine and lizard!
Interesting, thanks for the thorough reply!
sorry for this late question, but will the soundtrack be released on GOG? wiil there be any goodies?
at the developers in case you're here and watching this thread and responding [i haven't read back to see if you are]:

is gog going to get the soundtrack?

editing this in about 50 minutes later:

soundtrack is [potentially?] coming. it just wasn't here because the launch is crazy.

their replies on twitter here:

https://twitter.com/lostwolfe/status/907694551976083456

and on reddit, here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6zp2gw/im_andy_schatz_hes_austin_wintory_and_the_other/dmx0znh/
Post edited September 12, 2017 by lostwolfe