It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Under the domes.

Surviving Mars is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com. Pre-order to get a Stellaris-themed dome set in-game.
It's hard to call it "the red planet" anymore. Thanks to some ingenious work on the infrastructure, the domed retro-futuristic settlements are ticking away happily, providing not only sustenance but also plenty of quality entertainment to your colonists. Except when a dust devil hits. Or a meteor shower. Or when a bunch of mysterious alien spheres starts hovering outside the domes. Well, time to put your crisis management skills to good use!

Grab the Deluxe Edition for the digital Art Book, a wallpaper, and several in-game rewards, or go for the First Colony Edition which also includes the game's Season Pass.
Themken: What would be the first step in terraforming Ḿars? Bombard it with asteroids to increase the gravity enough for it to hold an athmosphere?
GenlyAi: Mars' mass is not too much of a problem, it could hold a higher concentration of CO2. So, first step I think, we'd need to increase CO2 in the atmosphere to increase the greenhouse effect. But for that you'd need some kind of plants or algae or bacteria that can "breath out" CO2 and that can survive with little to no liquid water (unfortunately we never seemed to prove beyond a doubt that Mars contains water) and oxygen.

Now, increasing oxygen levels would come later...

PS. I'm a professional astronomer, PhD and all, but this is completely different than my chosen field of research.

EDIT: Of course, if we were a much more advanced civilization, we could terraform ir like Earth was... bombarding it with comets full of water. :)
Just collapse the planet a bit(~ 1/3 in size) -- any decent civ can do it...

Edit: fix number
Post edited March 01, 2018 by i_ni
high rated
GenlyAi: Mars' mass is not too much of a problem, it could hold a higher concentration of CO2. So, first step I think, we'd need to increase CO2 in the atmosphere to increase the greenhouse effect. But for that you'd need some kind of plants or algae or bacteria that can "breath out" CO2 and that can survive with little to no liquid water (unfortunately we never seemed to prove beyond a doubt that Mars contains water) and oxygen.

Now, increasing oxygen levels would come later...

PS. I'm a professional astronomer, PhD and all, but this is completely different than my chosen field of research.

EDIT: Of course, if we were a much more advanced civilization, we could terraform ir like Earth was... bombarding it with comets full of water. :)
i_ni: Just collapse the planet a bit(~ 1/3 in size) -- any decent civ can do it...

Edit: fix number
The thin atmosphere isn't the biggest problem with trying to live on Mars. It's the lack of energy. It would literally be easier to live at the bottom of the ocean off the coast of Antarctica. It would be a lot warmer there too. The only other place worse than Mars is Venus. Anywhere but Mars and Venus, basically. Anywhere in the inner solar system would be better than Mars and Venus.

NASA recently announced the discovery of exposed sheets of very thick water ice (many meters deep) under the dusty surface of Mars. There's plenty of water, just not enough energy to warm it up and make it liquid. You would be dependent on nuclear power and solar concentrators, but because of all the dust, only the nuclear power would be reliable. The solar concentrators would probably require CONTINUOUS dust removal, and that might waste what little solar energy they are able to collect.

With a thin atmosphere and no significant magnetic field, people and agriculture will not be able to survive the radiation at the surface. So, not only are you dependent on nuclear power and solar concentrators, you also must do it UNDERGROUND. Seriously, the deep ocean beneath the Antarctic ice sheet is like a tropical paradise in comparison to the surface of Mars.

I have no idea why people want to LIVE on Mars. Science and research, sure, but living permanently on Mars? That's going to be a hard, fragile, and short life.

Changing the mass of Mars would upset the resonance balance of all the inner planets. You could accidentally cause Earth to be ejected from the solar system. That's very, very bad. Instead, increasing the density of Mars would be safer, and probably would work better, just like i_ni suggested. It's very straightforward, but not easy. The only thing you have to do is figure out how to transmute a few petatonnes of lithospheric elements like oxygen, silicon, etc into gold, platinum, and maybe something really neat like plutonium and uranium.

If it's radioactive, you get bonus heat from decay that will build-up and restart the core dynamo in a few million years, so Mars can have a powerful magnetic field to shield the surface from solar radiation.

After you achieve all that, with the huge amount of money you will make from licensing your alchemy technology, you will be able to retire on the warm and sunny beaches of Antarctica! You're going to need extra-good sunblock in the scorching -120 degree temperatures of Antarctica.
Shouldn't we rather just melt Mars' core again? After a few rounds around the Sun, Mars' magnetic field should be strong enough again to deflect solar wind and keep it from tearing away a bigger atmosphere without having to resort to plundering the asteroid belt. As I understand it the asteroid belt protects us from bigger meteoroids to some degree. This approach also wouldn't meddle with the overall gravity distribution in our solar system and would mean less radiation for "settlers". We have to learn to terraform a planet at some point, because we as a species can't stay on Earth forever. Sure, a few billion years sound like a lot of time now, but something else will come up before the sun boils all our water. The polar caps will melt, the magnetic orientation will shift pretty soon, someone might press the button, religious leaders will mess things up, politicians will mess things up, religious politicians will definitely mess things up, ...

*Holds up a sign*

ThE EnD iZ NiGh!
(Not a professional terraformer.)
Post edited March 01, 2018 by HeartsAndRainbows
Themken: What would be the first step in terraforming Ḿars? Bombard it with asteroids to increase the gravity enough for it to hold an athmosphere?
That wouldn't do anything considering the entire astroid belt has only a fraction of the mass of our moon. So not a lot of gravity there. But bombarding is one of a possible step. Because it would heat up the atmosphere considerable plus you would need much needed elements to the atmosphere. But the biggest problem Mars has is the missing magnetic field. Without one all you could do is create a temporary atmosphere that would slowly strip away again by the suns radiation.
Getting a pre-order theme based on a game that isn't available here is really weird.
badon: You could accidentally cause Earth to be ejected from the solar system. That's very, very bad.
Just to get that level of badness clear in my mind, is that as bad as running out of paper in an outside toilet that's miles from anywhere, or worse?
looks good!
skirtish: That read to me like there is no in-game music unless you get the Deluxe Edition, but as far as I can see it's only one radio station in addition to many in the base version, is that right?
qwixter: It seems you are right. I went to the base game where there wasn't description. Upon further review in the deluxe version store page there is this:

"Additonal Radio Station, "Quantum Sonics" :
An additional in-game radio station, with new music and chatter, comes exclusively with the Deluxe Edition."

So it is additional or "additonal" as it is called. I sort of misread it from the base version store page, and it took it to mean there wasn't any in the base version.

Crisis averted lol

Sorry if my mistake mislead others as well.
mintee: looks like fun, love the colorful sale page today, not sure if its rogue like, kinda sounds like it tho

wait, really? if thats true (no music) then its right up there with Metal Gear Solid fiasco of bs
qwixter: No, I got it wrong. I am a dummy. It's an additional one.
No worries, in today's climate of microtransacton hell it was easy for us all to think that..... still, this borders on pushing it. I dont think it will be a far stretch for corporations to start DLC for extra sound scape, a base crappy one 'free' with game purchase but really good orchestrated sound with extra purchase. *sighs*
If this retro-sci-fi game about colonising Mars does not feature canals, then I am going to be most disappointed.
There is one serious issue about the game, which needs to be answered...

Can players grow potatoes?
Post edited March 01, 2018 by MMLN
MMLN: There isnone serious issue about the game, which needs to be answered...

Ready Potato One.
What about Mod Support? I assumed that it will use Steam Workshop like all other Paradox games?
The game looks super interesting, and with Linux support right out of the gate, I'm very tempted.

But yeah, the expected marketing tactics around the game are making me shy away again.

Wishlisted for now, and I'll be keeping an eye on it.
MMLN: There is one serious issue about the game, which needs to be answered...

Yeah, but they taste like shit... :P
gogtrial34987: The game looks super interesting, and with Linux support right out of the gate, I'm very tempted.

But yeah, the expected marketing tactics around the game are making me shy away again.

Wishlisted for now, and I'll be keeping an eye on it.
I'm with you I'll wait for a more "Complete Edition" in the future.