It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
InsertDisk2: That's kind of sad, GOG tries so hard to be Steam it's worrisome.
On that document there's plenty of talk about AAA releases, about Galaxy, big companies, early access, but there's not a single mention of DRM-free, not even in the whole chapter about GOG.com.
Come on.. you have "fair play" and "customer friendly".
high rated
InsertDisk2: That's kind of sad, GOG tries so hard to be Steam it's worrisome.
On that document there's plenty of talk about AAA releases, about Galaxy, big companies, early access, but there's not a single mention of DRM-free, not even in the whole chapter about GOG.com.
Let me quote the GOG.com mission statement from this PDF:
"We combine our passion for videogames and respect for fans to successfully deliver the world’s top videogame releases,
supported by online services."

Respect for fans? You just lost all respect I've had for you and you lost a fan with how you behave now!
low rated
mm324: But gog is the one that keeps saying galaxy is optional, now they are not giving me an option.
A) Did they ever say that (the stuff in the past) would be optional? No they did not.
B) No one ever told me any of the unneeded stuff that those games came with was optional either.
This is just splitting hairs... GOG makes the installers they can decide what to include in them like they always have. I don't agree with them wanting to include Galaxy in the way they plan to do it due to the space issues, but that doesn't make less optional.

Non optional would be giving you zero choice in letting it install or not. Which they have made clear you would have a choice.

mm324: BK I think you're a good guy and I have no problem with you personally, but by you trying to defend gog's crappy actions you're just enabling them.
Quite frankly I would rather not be defending GOG in this, and I haven't if you looked through this thread. But now this is starting to get silly, people are letting their strong dislike for Galaxy outweigh common sense here.
high rated
Johny.: Just wanted to throw in my opinion here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/open_letter_to_gog/post33
I would rather have a link to the Galaxy page than the checkbox implementation.
But if you're going down the checkbox implementation route? Then be aware of two things:

1. OPT-IN, not OPT-OUT. Those who WANT Galaxy can check the checkbox only ONCE, and call it a day. Those who want something, must put some effort to get it, after all.
2. This instance of Galaxy should be a DOWNLOADER STUB, nothing more. 150MBs sounds small nowadays, but it adds up not only on our HDDs, but also on your servers, and eventually it'll just be outdated.

Please consider either the link route which we greatly recommend or revise your strategy with the checkbox idea, and thank you for your participating in this matter.
Djaron: i am not sure 100% but i think i recall having a galaxy.dll missing error alert when i tried the built in mp browser since i updated from 1.0.0.4 to 1.0.0.9 yes

could doucle check though

strange enough, i played online titan quest anniversary a couple of month ago without problem :)
Gersen: I played this game online since the first day it was finally released on Gog (being a backer) and I don't remember ever being able to play online (as in except in LAN mode) without using Galaxy.

Also if I remember correctly the devs justification for not supporting cross play between Steam and Gog was because they were using Steamwork for the Steam version and Galaxy for the Gog version and that to support cross play they would have to either implement their own servers or use Galaxy servers for both versions (as it's apparently that how Gog cross-play feature works).

Are you really sure than when you played the previous version you weren't using Galaxy (you don't need to run the game through Galaxy, simply having Galaxy running in the background is enough) ?
well, tbh, i start thinking i went straight to LAN+VPN mode from the very beginning out of habit :)
because i'd know if i were using galaxy, as i only have one computer with it (for gwent beta) and the poor thing have hard time running grim dawn at an acceptable smoothness and visual

so i will assume you are right about it; you clearly seem to have used this game mode more than i did (i mostly single played)

however this is yet the typical behavior i expect from gog nowadays and i'll be closely watching on two other games i played online TCP/IP on a comp that never saw a single star of "galaxy", lets name titan quest and windward.. if those games are updated in the days to come, i can bet the tcp/ip mode of those games will be replaced by galaxy one :(
high rated
mm324: If I have to use up storage space on MY pc for copies of a program that I have tried and decided I don't want, in any shape or form, then it is not optional. I'm being forced to house a terrible idea that was executed even more terribly, where is the "optional" part of that?
BKGaming: I don't agree with doing this but if that's the case then nearly every game on GOG has stuff you don't want and that isn't optional... because A) GOG has bundled stuff with installers in the past and B) games themselves come bundled with a butch of unneeded stuff.
The main difference is that the other stuff take up a small amount of space. GoG Galaxy is 150mb uncompressed. Even with compression I can't imagine that bring reduced to less than 50mb. A 20mb game is going to be a 70mb download. Someone who backs up 2,000+ games is going to waste 100 gigs of space!
mm324: But gog is the one that keeps saying galaxy is optional, now they are not giving me an option.
A) Did they ever say that (the stuff in the past) would be optional? No they did not.
B) No one ever told me any of the unneeded stuff that those games came with was optional either.
BKGaming: This is just splitting hairs... GOG makes the installers they can decide what to include in them like they always have. I don't agree with them wanting to include Galaxy in the way they plan to do it due to the space issues, but that doesn't make less optional.

Non optional would be giving you zero choice in letting it install or not. Which they have made clear you would have a choice.

mm324: BK I think you're a good guy and I have no problem with you personally, but by you trying to defend gog's crappy actions you're just enabling them.
BKGaming: Quite frankly I would rather not be defending GOG in this, and I haven't if you looked through this thread. But now this is starting to get silly, people are letting their strong dislike for Galaxy outweigh common sense here.
I like Galaxy, but honestly, I'm an "in between" user because I back up all my installers offline so I can use them when ever. With over 500 games, that means nearly 100GB of redundant files will be stored on my HD. Why? What did I ever do to you? I'm already using your client, why do my installers need the bloat?
low rated
tremere110: The main difference is that the other stuff take up a small amount of space. GoG Galaxy is 150mb uncompressed. Even with compression I can't imagine that bring reduced to less than 50mb. A 20mb game is going to be a 70mb download. Someone who backs up 2,000+ games is going to waste 100 gigs of space!
Again which I why I don't support this... a web installer would be much more practical, letting it only take up 1 - 2 MB.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by BKGaming
Gersen: And before Galaxy the multiplayer feature was simply disabled/removed for those games.
PaterAlf: Right. That why I said I can understand it for certain games. For other games devs could simply create LAN or hotseat multiplayer modes, but I can hardly blame GOG, if they are to lazy to do that.
thank you very much for echoing something that had been one of my major point and rant for years now...
i feel less lonely thanks to you

LAN mode, dammit ! Damn *BIIIIP*ing good old TCP/IP networking stuff and leave the rest to peeps
high rated
Johny.: Just wanted to throw in my opinion here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/open_letter_to_gog/post33

[i]"About including Galaxy Client installer - yeah, including all of it in the game installer is probably not the most optimized solution.

I think it's nice for it to be seamless, so it wouldn't require new users to click the link, download and install manually, but simply have a checkbox for that."[/i]
Well the former is absurd:-

- If you include the full Galaxy installer and someone has 500 games, 150MB Galaxy size x 500 = a ridiculous 75GB of wasted space... Doesn't it sound more than a little silly that the installer size for tiny sub 1MB games like Crystal Caves will swell by up to 14,900%?

- If you use only a "stub", you then end up with more support calls from people with "block outgoing by default firewall" rules who will need to whitelist the GOG installer vs not needing to downloading it through their browser. Plus you end up with 2x downloads required for Galaxy vs just 1 of clicking it from the same Account Game Page as you saw the Offline direct download... That's not "making things easier" vs downloading Galaxy directly from the site.

- If you roll this out for all games, then are you going to update all 1,968 games downloaders on your site every single time Galaxy gets updated? If not, then you'll be forced to support multiple versions of Galaxy based on how someone downloaded it. That sounds like 1,000x more work for GOG staff than whatever you're trying to save.

- Are people going to be plagued with "500 games in your 500 game collection have updated" and then try and figure out which are real game updates and which are just unwanted Galaxy installer updates?

Very little of this makes any logical sense as far as "saving time / effort" at both GOG's and the user's end.

Edit : I'd also like to add, how do you install Steam / uPlay / Origin for the first time? You have to download an .EXE file from their respective sites:-
http://store.steampowered.com/about/
https://www.origin.com/store/download
https://uplay.ubi.com/#!/en-GB/

How is downloading Galaxy any different, and if not, why do you believe GOG users are too thick to do exactly the same thing every one of your competitors requires?...
Post edited May 11, 2017 by AB2012
Reaper9988: GOG why you make it so hard to give you moneyz ?
that's the "most convenient user experience" for you, sir... dont dare to think otherwise :)
Breja: Maybe if not for the galaxy issue I would be inclined to agree, but as things are, I have lost all patience. Like GR00T said, this is still questionable. There are basically two games bundled together, and one of them is in no way DRM-free. The other is supposedly the DRM-free version of the same but that means that a)a non DRM-free product is in fact being distributed by GOG b)if you want the single player DRM-free game you still have to buy that DRM-ed product too.

I don't like it, and given the direction GOG has taken in other matters recently, I have no inclination to be forgiving, understading and accepting. I am possibly overreacting. I know that, and I don't care. That's the mood I'm in, and GOG has no one to blame for that but themselves.
tremere110: The DRM-Free version is on Steam as well. It's an executable for offline single player. The always online version single player uses item drops determined by the server so it needs to be online. It's completely integrated into the online version which is why they had to go with a separate executable for offline play.

The item drops are cosmetic only and I guess a status symbol for multiplayer - never saw the appeal personally. The offline version is exactly the same without that pesky nonsense.

I'm hoping this means we'll see Don't Starve Together here. Once again separate executables because the single player version is not at all balanced for multiplayer.
i'd have liked them adding a tcp/ip vesion of multiplayer where you would agree to get no server drop or anything from the very start

meaning: you want cosmetic badges of bragging ? fine ! play online mp, get cosmetic rewards, compete, have fun, be okeay... Want to play with peeps in a more convenient way, without all the sparkles and the cosmetic fancy stuff, but just play the game in a more autonomous way ? here take this mp mode instead, no link to main servs, but no drops... your choice...

would it be THAN hard ?
BKGaming: Or are we debating what he word "optional" means now?
mm324: If I have to use up storage space on MY pc for copies of a program that I have tried and decided I don't want, in any shape or form, then it is not optional. I'm being forced to house a terrible idea that was executed even more terribly, where is the "optional" part of that?
i love you.... just marry me !
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Djaron
high rated
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/capital-group/strategy/
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2016/04/strategy-en-v2.pdf

In 2015, the Company released its proprietary GOG Galaxy technology enabling individual game purchases and management of personal collections, while also providing support for multiplayer gaming and other online services.

GOG.com mission statement
We combine our passion for videogames and respect for fans to successfully deliver the world’s top videogame releases, supported by online services.

GOG.com business objectives
To create a catalogue of brand-new AAA releases fully supported by GOG Galaxy; to turn GOG Galaxy into a technological foundation upon which gamers can access videogames produced by CD PROJEKT RED and interact with one another.

We develop our own digital distribution and online gaming platform, creating a full-featured user-friendly ecosystem that will constitute an integral part of our future videogame releases.

Plans - GOG.com -2016

Release of a AAA game developed by an unaffiliated entity with full support for GOG Galaxy, concurrent with its global release date.

Expansion of GOG Galaxy with new features and networking technologies required by new CD PROJEKT RED products.

Ongoing support for the “early access” mechanism introduced in early 2016, important from the point of view of the platform’s ability to expand its catalogue with new games

Additional global releases of major videogames developed by unaffiliated entities with full support for GOG Galaxy.
BKGaming: This is just splitting hairs...
If an average user download a installer with galaxy in, and press install, it installs Galaxy, thus it's no longer "optional" the only pretense of optional is GOG allowing you to deselect it, if you "know where to look"
Executer: ...
and ? not sure what exactly you are trying to say?
high rated
AB2012: How is downloading Galaxy any different, and if not, why do you believe GOG users are too thick to do exactly the same thing every one of your competitors requires?...
Apparently GOG customers require more "special" treatment... or at least that's what GOG management thinks of us.

I wonder, has GOG recently come under new management or have they just suddenly decided to let all common sense and fundamental values go out of the window?