It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
timppu: Not cool.

HereForTheBeer: This certainly raises some red flags for me. I will, however, withhold judgment until I see if the downloads get bloated by a ~150MB add-on.
timppu: Was this 150MB verified by someone, or is this just an assumption what it might be?
Assumption on my part, based on a couple things:

- offline installer, which to me means it's fully-contained within the files you initially download, and that the compete installation is accomplished offline without grabbing any other data
- the current size is around 150MB

But... I'll keep the pitchfork in the shed and the torch unlit until we see what comes out on Friday.
high rated
fables22: Just so we don't have a misunderstanding here - the setting won't be saved to start with. The questions was whether there's a plan for it, I figured that meant "is there a plan that in the future the setting will be saved" which, to my knowledge, there is. But I will clarify and confirm/update.
Oh cool, so it's "eventually™" again (like with the notifications on the website).
fables22: Just so we don't have a misunderstanding here - the setting won't be saved to start with. The questions was whether there's a plan for it, I figured that meant "is there a plan that in the future the setting will be saved" which, to my knowledge, there is. But I will clarify and confirm/update.
PaterAlf: Oh cool, so it's "eventually™" again (like with the notifications on the website).
...wait...was that an edit she made? Didn't even notice it.
Anybody know how to take back a +1?
high rated
zeogold: ...wait...was that an edit she made? Didn't even notice it.
Anybody know how to take back a +1?
You can replace it with a -1.
high rated
zeogold: Y'know what I love about this thread?
No matter what arguments people had in here with others in the same thread in the past, each of us has put it all aside and come together as one, bound together in our mutual hatred of the same thing. Every other post in here is "high rated", on a forum where it's usually the exact opposite for most threads.
Never have I seen so much positivity coming from negativity.
Nobody likes the slow creep towards the part about Galaxy being "optional" becoming a mere technicality, and the continued deterioration of GOG's principles.
high rated
Welp. I take back what I said about things being better.
high rated
I THINK i may have found an easier solution. Make a bigger button/link on the front page for galaxy and don't screw with the installers, AND put it in a place that no one can miss it. I'd rather always see that button/link than have the installers screwed with, and it's also much less work for the gog staff, see I'm thinking about you guys too.
high rated
Wow, a bit late to the party, but boy does this suck. As you grow you gotta become more and more mainstream, I suppose. But is it really worth it if you get a lot of new users and more money if you abandon you principles in the meantime? Do you want people to buy games from you because you're the cheapest or because people genuinely like your store and don't mind paying a bit extra to use a service that aligns with their personal beliefs?

Right now, I'm really glad that there's no Galaxy for Linux so I don't have to worry about not forgetting to untick that checkbox. If this is the direction Galaxy is going in, then I'd rather you never release a Linux version.
high rated
fables22: 1. Yes, afaik.
zeogold: Oh, so you'll only have to uncheck it once?
That makes things better. Still not the best, but considerably better.
the installer leaving behind settings in the registry that will never be cleaned up by an uninstaller isn't really a great solution either. stuff like that is the reason you basically have to reinstall windows every other year.

also doesn't help me when installing games in wine :p
high rated
Wow, this is incredibly disappointing....
high rated
No, seriously. This entire plan of including the GOG Galaxy installer to the offline installers is a pure trainwreck. It is clear as sunlight that none of the GOG staff thought through this. If they did, they would have made the details clear as sunlight and not made this a 'plan in the future'. If they did, we wouldn't have about 400 posts and counting of backlash.

Seriously, I'll say this right away:
Throw this plan to the garbage bin. Nobody is going to benefit, but everyone is going to lose.

This announcement clearly lacked planning. I'll still remain on the stance that the concept is not bad, but the signs are already pointing to a horrid implementation with no good planning. This really shouldn't have seen the light of the day to begin with!

The fact that this was an edited post is even more worrying.
fables22: The question was whether there's a plan for the setting to be saved, which there is.
PookaMustard: Thank you for the straight answers, Fables. I would like to see this level of communication from now on by telling us the concrete details of any controversial decision. Right now, there are two parties: those who are worried about the implications, and those who would wait THEN host their opinion. Why have two parties who are unsure of what the end outcome will be? We are criticizing this decision based on a lack of information now more than we are criticizing it for the concept itself.

The concept itself is not bad, the problem is that we fear the execution may be horrid. By telling us of your intentions like you did, both parties are absolutely sure of what they're criticizing or praising, and that should be it.

In the meantime, I would like you to press the staff for questions 2 and 3. For the record, they are:

2. How will Galaxy be included in the installers? Is the full installer going to be included, or just a stub?
3. If it is the full installer, do you expect to be able to update the installers every single time it gets updated
PookaMustard:
I've collected all the feedback as well as the questions and passed them onto people who can answer them. But just so this doesn't bite me back - I don't know when I'll have the answers.
high rated
pimpmonkey2382.313: I THINK i may have found an easier solution. Make a bigger button/link on the front page for galaxy and don't screw with the installers, AND put it in a place that no one can miss it. I'd rather always see that button/link than have the installers screwed with, and it's also much less work for the gog staff, see I'm thinking about you guys too.
It shouldn't even be necessary.

Right now, when I want to download a game, I either use the essentials/fundamentals links (having ticked the "downloader links" option), or, when it doesn't work, I look for the "downloader links" in the menu.

If I remember well, the most readily available links do automatically seek for Galaxy. On Gog's side, it would only be a matter of having the main download links check for Galaxy's present and download it forst if it's absent, while keeping somewhere some direct download links circomventing this.

There would be no need to integrate galaxy queries (or installers) to the game installers themselves. It would be more efficient, less alienating for us, and it would spare them the repackaging of all their games.

The whole thing is april-fools-level insane.
high rated
Just so we're clear, no more game purchases until it happens.
high rated
I have my entire library backed up. Including the Galaxy installer will increase the size by 50GB or so that I don't have/want to give up to copies of the Galaxy installer, especially when I already have Galaxy installed and up to date. What are my options? Or do you just care about a few insufferable morons who likely won't be able to hold down a job due to their incompetence and therefore won't have disposable income with which to shower you? What will people like me do about our backups? Just grin and bear it?

You're basically forcing me to waste HD space on installers I don't need.