It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
I understand GOG's business perspective, but the implementation is not convincing.

As I wrote yesterday, all this Galaxy promotion doesn't fit well with the DRM-free approach and the optional client statement.

This community had been advertised as one of GOG's strong points. On the other hand since Witcher 3 announcement, the community has been left to constant degradation. Now we are the tech savvy elite, who don't matter.

This situation reminds me the removal of multilingual installers, to save bandwidth and reduce backup space for the end users. It's very easy to make assumptions, based on your own behavior, but are they right?

For example, I need to keep backup for up to four installers, due to that change. English and German versions of Linux and Windows installers. No one has ever asked how many of us would like the old multilingual installers.

Obviously -and sadly- GOG constantly fails to see what its core user base has always been and why we are here. Trying to become something else is clear evidence of that.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by vanchann
high rated
zeogold: Y'know what I love about this thread?
No matter what arguments people had in here with others in the same thread in the past, each of us has put it all aside and come together as one, bound together in our mutual hatred of the same thing. Every other post in here is "high rated", on a forum where it's usually the exact opposite for most threads.
Never have I seen so much positivity coming from negativity.
Ah yes, the common enemy. Used countless times throughout history to create social cohesion.
high rated
zeogold: Y'know what I love about this thread?
No matter what arguments people had in here with others in the same thread in the past, each of us has put it all aside and come together as one, bound together in our mutual hatred of the same thing. Every other post in here is "high rated", on a forum where it's usually the exact opposite for most threads.
Never have I seen so much positivity coming from negativity.
MightyPinecone: Ah yes, the common enemy. Used countless times throughout history to create social cohesion.
Best way to bring about world peace, have an Alien invasion
high rated
On one hand they're "listening to our feedback", but on the other they still plan on going ahead with this move despite the near-universal *pure hatred* for it.

Wonder how long it'll be before they start password protecting the installer archives again to try to stop people from working around this, and/or changing it so that Galaxy gets installed anyway without giving the user a choice "but this isn't a problem & it's still optional because you can simply uninstall it after if you want as the games are still DRM-free and will work without it".

It'd be a whole lot more effective and much less work (and far more customer-friendly) to simply add a one-time-only "Why not try Galaxy?" thing to the library when accessed via the website that needs to be dismissed before providing the download links for the offline installers.
high rated
pimpmonkey2382.313: I THINK i may have found an easier solution. Make a bigger button/link on the front page for galaxy and don't screw with the installers, AND put it in a place that no one can miss it. I'd rather always see that button/link than have the installers screwed with, and it's also much less work for the gog staff, see I'm thinking about you guys too.
Telika: It shouldn't even be necessary.

Right now, when I want to download a game, I either use the essentials/fundamentals links (having ticked the "downloader links" option), or, when it doesn't work, I look for the "downloader links" in the menu.

If I remember well, the most readily available links do automatically seek for Galaxy. On Gog's side, it would only be a matter of having the main download links check for Galaxy's present and download it forst if it's absent, while keeping somewhere some direct download links circomventing this.

There would be no need to integrate galaxy queries (or installers) to the game installers themselves. It would be more efficient, less alienating for us, and it would spare them the repackaging of all their games.

The whole thing is april-fools-level insane.
Yeah, if I were the one making the decisions here, I personally wouldn't have even touched anything. But if they had to absolutely make galaxy more obvious, I'd be alright with a bigger button/link than screwing with manual installers really.
So Galaxy won't be optional anymore? /s
high rated
Telika: It shouldn't even be necessary.

Right now, when I want to download a game, I either use the essentials/fundamentals links (having ticked the "downloader links" option), or, when it doesn't work, I look for the "downloader links" in the menu.

If I remember well, the most readily available links do automatically seek for Galaxy. On Gog's side, it would only be a matter of having the main download links check for Galaxy's present and download it forst if it's absent, while keeping somewhere some direct download links circomventing this.

There would be no need to integrate galaxy queries (or installers) to the game installers themselves. It would be more efficient, less alienating for us, and it would spare them the repackaging of all their games.

The whole thing is april-fools-level insane.
pimpmonkey2382.313: Yeah, if I were the one making the decisions here, I personally wouldn't have even touched anything. But if they had to absolutely make galaxy more obvious, I'd be alright with a bigger button/link than screwing with manual installers really.
What I meant is : they don't even need a separate big button for Galaxy, if they think it confuses their customers so much (by the way, I wonder how these customers manage to cope with in-game inventories and stuff). The individual games' own download buttons, on the website, could be used to trigger a check, and a Galaxy installation if Galaxy isn't present already.

And the rest of us could use a separate, more discreet, download link, just like the "gog downloader" ones.

te_lanus: So Galaxy won't be optional anymore? /s
Apparently, installing it will be optional, but downloading it (and re-rere-re-rererere-redownloading it) won't.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by Telika
high rated
I've been kinda expecting something like this since Galaxy came out of beta. It's a sad day for me and for many I see.

And the next obvious step that I expect is; no more offline installers on website, only on Galaxy! It's obvious it's easier and cheaper for them.

I have all my installers on external HDD and will not be updating them with this Galaxy Shite and probably will reduce amount of games that I buy on GOG, as I already am doing!

Sorry GOG! RIP GOG!
Post edited May 10, 2017 by GlorFindel
high rated
fables22: Just so we don't have a misunderstanding here - the setting won't be saved to start with. The questions was whether there's a plan for it, I figured that meant "is there a plan that in the future the setting will be saved" which, to my knowledge, there is. But I will clarify and confirm/update.
PookaMustard: No, seriously. This entire plan of including the GOG Galaxy installer to the offline installers is a pure trainwreck. It is clear as sunlight that none of the GOG staff thought through this. If they did, they would have made the details clear as sunlight and not made this a 'plan in the future'. If they did, we wouldn't have about 400 posts and counting of backlash.

Seriously, I'll say this right away:
Throw this plan to the garbage bin. Nobody is going to benefit, but everyone is going to lose.

This announcement clearly lacked planning. I'll still remain on the stance that the concept is not bad, but the signs are already pointing to a horrid implementation with no good planning. This really shouldn't have seen the light of the day to begin with!

The fact that this was an edited post is even more worrying.
Dysfunctionality is something that can only be remedied by consequences so severe that the instinct for survival overcomes the pathological inability to acknowledge that there is a problem -- which is oftentimes preceded by death.
MightyPinecone: Ah yes, the common enemy. Used countless times throughout history to create social cohesion.
mechmouse: Best way to bring about world peace, have an Alien invasion
A dead giant nightmare squid is a particularly apt metaphor for Galaxy.
(Speaking as a former fan.)
low rated
deleted
high rated
Klumpen0815: The reddit discussion on this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6a5hve/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog/

No idea how the people on Twitch, Twitter and other crap reacted to this, my guess is that the reactions there weigh more though since GOG repeatedly practically admitted that the dusty old boards here are of low priority and are kind of a hospice for the old userbase.
Fairfox: Only 43 comments on teh GAMES (cap) subreddit 'n' most of them not even critical (with those taht are low-rated (lolzer, kno how taht feels))? Does kinda show what little impact GOGie has, Honest Lee.
I never really have a problem with the way you post, maybe it's because I just woke up...but is this even english?
low rated
deleted
high rated
pimpmonkey2382.313: I never really have a problem with the way you post, maybe it's because I just woke up...but is this even english?
Fairfox: Ya picked a most rando-post to enquire, so, y'kno-ho-ho, I kinda don't believe you :)
Nah, I actually did try reading it, but then gave up. lol
low rated
deleted