It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
ALL the complaints will be ignored,it's easier to not use Galaxy nor buy games here that have the extra installer options for Galaxy.
high rated
pimpmonkey2382.313: Or they could just take that chance by clicking a galaxy link on the front page?
Or the nice, big, blue, juicy "Try GOG Galaxy" button above a direct download. :D
Attachments:
Post edited May 10, 2017 by Grargar
low rated
so, like....omg! I was like, sorta, well, this is my, like, safe space? Like no DRM? Like Gog is your friend? I feel totally like invalidated. This is just like, more white cis gendered male supremacy!

Galaxyists are oppressing the proletariat masses in the new ultra patriarchal paradigm. You will like it because we say so? Us non galaxy users demand equality. Also we demand special treatment because we are special. Thse microaggressions about "our users may not be like, technical?" That is more than a microagression, it's a microinvalidation of non galaxyist as people.

Non Galaxy lives matter!

I have a fiend who identifies as a pink unicorn? and xe is like, totally horrified by the whole like, thing?

(Can I have some snowflake points now?)
high rated
Mygaffer: The only the thing that has changed is that you must uncheck a box if you don't want Galaxy. One click per game. If you don't like that then fine, I get it, but don't act like the sky is falling, you sound like chicken little.
The problem is, from a customer service standpoint, the best choice is one you opt for, not one you opt out of. And sure, it's one extra click per game; no big deal, right? But if you happen to miss that, then you end up installing something you don't want and you have to go through the hassle of uninstalling it.

And if it were an opt-in as opposed to opt out, it would be one click. Period. Because once you install it, you'd never have to bother ticking the box to install it again.

And it's not like Galaxy would be hard to find if they prominently displayed it on the front page, as they have been. And it's not like Galaxy isn't also offered with a big, bright blue button when you go to your game page in your library (you know, the one where you have to go in order to grab the offline installer anyway). Galaxy is not hard to find if you want it. In fact, only customers that are as stupid as GOG seems to think with their brilliant statement about why they opted for this as the default would have a hard time finding Galaxy. And, as I stated earlier in this announcement thread, if they're that thick, they probably wouldn't even be able to find the bloody off-line installer in the first place.

It's a very poor choice of service design, and the only reason to go this way with it is because you want to shove it in the face of your customers as much as possible, in the hopes of strong-arming them into using it.

*grammar fixes*
Post edited May 10, 2017 by GR00T
Mygaffer: So what's getting your goat here? The fact that the offline installers will get 1 or 2 megabytes larger? The fact that you'll have to uncheck a box if you don't want to use Galaxy?
The fact is that GOG isn't giving us any solid details on how we'll expect the new installers to be like. It's not confirmed the offline installers will get 1 or 2 megabytes larger as you claim. Little is confirmed. And that's enough ground for worry.

Everyone is worried that GOG's implementation will be horrible. Not everyone is opposed to the concept here, but what everyone is opposed to is the potential of whether the execution will be a trainwreck from what little we know about it. That is what's getting our goat.
low rated
richlind33: Steam does Steam infinitely better than GOG does.
And GOG can do stuff that Steam doesn't currently do.. which will in turn make Valve actually make Steam better. Competition is good. Steam and GOG users both benefit from it.

People also said the same thing about other really successful products, until the next new thing came in offering something different/unique and replaced that successful product. Steam isn't to big to fail, on the contrary being that big means it's even easier to fail.
Mygaffer: So what's getting your goat here? The fact that the offline installers will get 1 or 2 megabytes larger? The fact that you'll have to uncheck a box if you don't want to use Galaxy?
PookaMustard: The fact is that GOG isn't giving us any solid details on how we'll expect the new installers to be like. It's not confirmed the offline installers will get 1 or 2 megabytes larger as you claim. Little is confirmed. And that's enough ground for worry.

Everyone is worried that GOG's implementation will be horrible. Not everyone is opposed to the concept here, but what everyone is opposed to is the potential of whether the execution will be a trainwreck from what little we know about it. That is what's getting our goat.
Yeah I personally wouldn't mind all of this, if opt-out was default, and then if you DO opt in, it downloads galaxy seperately or something so the installers stay virtually the same size. I don't want to have to go to an installer, and say, perhaps clicking forward/next too quick and keep having it wanting to RE-install galaxy and all the other headaches.
How many non-CDPR games are sold exclusively on GOG?
high rated
GOG can solve this entire thing easily. Make it unchecked/ disabled by default and confirm the entire Galaxy application will NOT be bundled. If it's a web installer than great, that would be much better.

The problem is GOG needs to communicate, and GOG SUCKS AT DOING JUST THAT. They always have, and probably always will.

Some people will still dislike it, and lets be honest those people will probably dislike anything GOG does. But the vast majority will be for more okay with this change giving the above is done...
Post edited May 10, 2017 by BKGaming
high rated
Mygaffer: blablablabla
javihyuga: You totally missed the point.
And BTW I do use Galaxy. Only sometimes, because it's not useful for me and because GOG Downloader is no longer an option. But I do use it ;)
I still use GOG Downloader. It's a bit more of a pain than it used to be, but it still works.
I tried using Galaxy for a short time just for the purpose of downloading games, but the old downloader just does it better.
high rated
These days, GOG isn't even very good at doing GOG well, let alone doing Steam.
BKGaming: And GOG can do stuff that Steam doesn't currently do.. which will in turn make Valve actually make Steam better. Competition is good. Steam and GOG users both benefit from it.

People also said the same thing about other really successful products, until the next new thing came in offering something different/unique and replaced that successful product. Steam isn't to big to fail, on the contrary being that big means it's even easier to fail.
GOG will have to *seriously* up it's ante before that scale ever balances out.
high rated
bonzer: [weird rant]
...The fuck?
bonzer: [weird rant]
HunchBluntley: ...The fuck?
Thats what I was thinking, have a +1 from me.
high rated
BKGaming: GOG can solve this entire thing easily. Make it unchecked/ disabled by default and confirm the entire Galaxy application will NOT be bundled. If it's a web installer than great, that would be much better.

The problem is GOG needs to communicate, and GOG SUCKS AT DOING JUST THAT. They always have, and probably always will.

Some people will still dislike it, and lets be honest those people will probably dislike anything GOG does. But the vast majority will be for more okay with this change giving the above is done...
They have already communicated quite clearly what they think of their average customers:

"As for the option being opted in as default - after careful consideration, we've decided to go with this because we believe that it's easier for an experienced user to uncheck the box than it would be for a new user to figure out how to turn the feature on."