It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
PookaMustard: I'd rather if GOG went one way about this. That is, to go with their original plan but with our initial suggestions, basically including a stub to the installer and opt-in. But now that they're going to take the approach of two installers, then it is only reasonable that we expect you, GOG, to keep both installers up to date, especially the Classic installers. While people will resume buying from your store and having faith in you, I really urge you to keep on in providing us these updates without issue.

Because let's face it. If a new installer is updated while a classic installer isn't, we're not going to praise and clap for you by then. You've seen how the past three days were like, and it is in your best interest not to provoke your fanbase like that in the next coming days. I really don't want to be forced to pull out my faith in you. I want to see you succeed and keep on offering DRM-free and classic games, GOG. I don't want you to leave behind all of this success, and in turn, lose us out, your userbase. Let Steam excel at that.
Since Galaxy has an easy update process built-in, it's actually not as important to keep the installers with Galaxy integrated up-to-date. After all people already expect some patching process at Steam too whenever they start a game for the first time.
high rated
fables22: Hey everyone!

Starting on Friday, we’re going to include the option to install the GOG Galaxy client from the offline installers downloaded via GOG.com in over 100 games.

As many new users discover and download games from our website, we don’t want them to end up with installations that don’t auto-update or backup saves to the cloud. In fact, we want to offer everyone the most convenient experience from the get-go.

Don’t fret, nothing’s changed with our approach to GOG Galaxy being optional, which is why you can easily uncheck the GOG Galaxy installation within the game installer settings.

Last but not least, here’s a list of games that will include the option to install GOG Galaxy: bit.ly/GOG_games_installers
If you'll do this there will be no point to go with GOG release (might as well use Steam instead). I prefer no Galaxy than this shit.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by goral
goral: If you'll do this there will be no point to go with GOG release (might as well use Steam instead). I prefer no Galaxy than this shit.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog_galaxy/post929
high rated
PookaMustard: I'd rather if GOG went one way about this. That is, to go with their original plan but with our initial suggestions, basically including a stub to the installer and opt-in. But now that they're going to take the approach of two installers, then it is only reasonable that we expect you, GOG, to keep both installers up to date, especially the Classic installers. While people will resume buying from your store and having faith in you, I really urge you to keep on in providing us these updates without issue.

Because let's face it. If a new installer is updated while a classic installer isn't, we're not going to praise and clap for you by then. You've seen how the past three days were like, and it is in your best interest not to provoke your fanbase like that in the next coming days. I really don't want to be forced to pull out my faith in you. I want to see you succeed and keep on offering DRM-free and classic games, GOG. I don't want you to leave behind all of this success, and in turn, lose us out, your userbase. Let Steam excel at that.
Their "original plan" is just a workaround for a badly designed website that isn't user-friendly for people accustomed to Steam.
Klumpen0815: Since Galaxy has an easy update process built-in, it's actually not as important to keep the installers with Galaxy integrated up-to-date. After all people already expect some patching process at Steam too whenever they start a game for the first time.
I never heard about such patching processes when a game is started for the first time over there. What I do know is that you can download the entire game and then run it right away afterwards without any extra patching. EDIT: Probably if you download it and leave it on your hard disk for a while then play it, right. Edit End. Still, if you were to go for the New installer method, then it makes sense to provide the updated game right out of the box, since you're offering the game's data with Galaxy. But then I dunno if those very same people who would want such installers will install the thing right away to download the rest of the content.

richlind33: Their "original plan" is just a workaround for a badly designed website that isn't user-friendly for people accustomed to Steam.
No denying that. They could have taken a couple cues from Steam. Instead of having GOG Galaxy under the ABOUT menu now, they could have put it right next to the shopping cart as "INSTALL GALAXY." Just a tiny button would've done wonders there. On the front page, they could also put a small box somewhere (think like the sales rectangle) for Galaxy. That's what Steam does and is proven to work this way.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by PookaMustard
high rated
Destro: Thank you all for your posts in this topic, especially for all the constructive feedback. [...]
Once again thank you for your feedback. We hope the above answers your concerns.
First, I would like to thank you for the answer and for listening to our feedback. I personally really appreciate.

Well, as long as classic installers are easily available and are updated correctly, that's fine. I think there could be better solutions, but for now, as long as I can get up-to-date classic installers, I'm ok :)

Now, a bit of "not totally happy"... Next time you do something like this, I really think you should do an official news. Unless you simply wanted to see how much "vocal" your "classic" users [who have more chances to read and participate into the forum] would be. A kind of stress-test ? I hope not, but if it wasn't the case, I think it was a bit clumsy :/ (which may happens)(I'm talking about the announce AND bundling Galaxy in offline installers)
Destro: Games have changed a lot in the past years[...]
Maybe, but maybe you should realize that your "classic" members and fans are here because they love "classic" gaming. Sure you want to bring "new titles" and "new features", but don't forget the core of the store : Good Old Games. I understand that you want new customers, but I think this can be done without GOG losing his soul (and your old fans in the same time).

Of course, now I'm a bit waiting to see how things will turn (seriously, like I said, this announce and the way to act of GOG weren't really nice).
But I'm really glad of your answer, and hope that I'll be able to support you as long as possible :) Of course we care about GOG ! for a lot of people (like me), it's not an usual store ! :D
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Splatsch
high rated
goral: If you'll do this there will be no point to go with GOG release (might as well use Steam instead). I prefer no Galaxy than this shit.
BreOl72: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog_galaxy/post929
This doesn't satisfy me, it's clear that standard download is insignificant to them and they want to be 2nd Steam. It's a slippery slope from now on, in some time they will remove standard option by saying "most users use Galaxy anyway, bla ba bla"... Once that happens I'll have no reason to stay with GOG.
low rated
goral: Once that happens I'll have no reason to stay with GOG.
Well then...farewell, I guess!?

EDIT:
You guys (downvoters) realize, that goral is complaining about a possible future development, which - as far as we all are aware - has just been averted for the unforeseeable future?

Which I showed her/him via a link.

And yet s/he keeps complaining about it?

And you think that's ok?

Well then... smh
Post edited May 13, 2017 by BreOl72
Klumpen0815: Since Galaxy has an easy update process built-in, it's actually not as important to keep the installers with Galaxy integrated up-to-date. After all people already expect some patching process at Steam too whenever they start a game for the first time.
PookaMustard: I never heard about such patching processes when a game is started for the first time over there. What I do know is that you can download the entire game and then run it right away afterwards without any extra patching. EDIT: Probably if you download it and leave it on your hard disk for a while then play it, right. Edit End. Still, if you were to go for the New installer method, then it makes sense to provide the updated game right out of the box, since you're offering the game's data with Galaxy. But then I dunno if those very same people who would want such installers will install the thing right away to download the rest of the content.

richlind33: Their "original plan" is just a workaround for a badly designed website that isn't user-friendly for people accustomed to Steam.
PookaMustard: No denying that. They could have taken a couple cues from Steam. Instead of having GOG Galaxy under the ABOUT menu now, they could have put it right next to the shopping cart as "INSTALL GALAXY." Just a tiny button would've done wonders there. On the front page, they could also put a small box somewhere (think like the sales rectangle) for Galaxy. That's what Steam does and is proven to work this way.
If I was in their shoes, I wouldn't hesitate to mention Steam, like so: "If you're familiar with Steam and would like to have a similar experience, you're going to love Galaxy!", yada yada yada....
high rated
Marioface5: I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of GOG maintaining two installers. Obviously I don't know how that process works, but I can't imagine it's particularly difficult when the only difference is one including Galaxy and one not.
I think the big concern there is in the long run GOG may say "Yeah this maintaining 2 installers thing we promised earlier is too much work. Let's discontinue one" in a few months time. Guess which one is more likely to get discontinued? The one without Galaxy. Giving GOG users the option of downloading Galaxy or downloading bloated Galaxy installers and so we're back to square one again of the the recent outrage...

The solution GOG is seeking is the one they've already got. Use Galaxy for mainstream / newbies / online and continue the current bloat-free Offline Installers for power users / archival (a key requirement of maintaining longevity of older games) / offline gameplay, etc. If GOG's problem is that Galaxy isn't getting enough attention, then what they need to do is focus more on making Galaxy more visible to non-power users:-

- A "Download Galaxy" button in the header on every page like Steam

- Sending absolutely every GOG customer a "Benefit of Galaxy" e-mail once (even if they've opted out to weekly offers) so they can't claim there are still people who haven't heard of it

- Send a direct download link to Galaxy in the e-mail you receive after purchasing a game

- Create an "idiot proof" walkthrough screenshot guide / Youtube video showing how to install Galaxy, etc.

- Send new users a "Welcome to Galaxy" e-mail upon creating their GOG account

- A link (not a stub) in the installer file (that adds almost nothing to its size) underneath the "other games by GOG" banner, that takes them to the Galaxy Download page via their default browser

^ If people still don't want it after all that (and other suggestions here), the problem is simply not "lack of awareness", it's that "GOG is not Steam" as a "cut and paste" target market and many more people drawn to GOG know what off-line installers are and why they want them.
high rated
"Offline installers with an option to install GOG Galaxy"

Even the thread title is a lie. If it was an option it would be a checkbox which was disabled not enabled by default. Seriously, astro-turf much. Anyways, good that we made this much backlash to this little Bonzy Buddy Nagware that they ruddered back. For now. Thanks, collegues.
high rated
Splatsch: Maybe, but maybe you should realize that your "classic" members and fans are here because they love "classic" gaming. Sure you want to bring "new titles" and "new features", but don't forget the core of the store : Good Old Games. I understand that you want new customers, but I think this can be done without GOG losing his soul (and your old fans in the same time).
I for Classic gaming will turn back to the "Underground", because thats where preservation happens and the technical solutions all (even GOG uses them) come from.

For the modern fast food gaming (consume and throw away) Steam is perfect and has THE multiplayer base.

Edit:
Sorry to inform you, this is GOG.com not Good old Games anymore, for a reason. The focus here is Galaxy, modern AAA Gaming and Steam Consumers.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Executer
high rated
Splatsch: Maybe, but maybe you should realize that your "classic" members and fans are here because they love "classic" gaming. Sure you want to bring "new titles" and "new features", but don't forget the core of the store : Good Old Games. I understand that you want new customers, but I think this can be done without GOG losing his soul (and your old fans in the same time).

Of course, now I'm a bit waiting to see how things will turn (seriously, like I said, this announce and the way to act of GOG weren't really nice).
But I'm really glad of your answer, and hope that I'll be able to support you as long as possible :) Of course we care about GOG ! for a lot of people (like me), it's not an usual store ! :D
No, in fact: GOG just want to grow. As fast as possible, as soon as possible. There is no other plan behind and many comments show up this here within the thread. So the Good Old Games are really "dead" from now on. A platform with some fluffy and shiny new features and as big as STEAM, of course. ;-)
high rated
Should offline installers - playable without a client - disappear, I'll lose interest in making another purchase.
ZFR: Thank you. I don't know about the others but this is good for me. I can get installers without bloatware.
Me too.

I do hope GOG team will finally update "Not yet available" games in Galaxy and include Movies section.