It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

awalterj: I've been clean for 42 days now, several very close calls since I looked at many sales and didn't try to "look away".
That is great! I haven't purchased a game since the summer sale. It helps that I set a hard limit on price and discount percentage. Otherwise, I just have to wait for another time. We all know that, if you wait long enough, you may get the game cheaper.
awalterj: I've been clean for 42 days now, several very close calls since I looked at many sales and didn't try to "look away".
Gede: That is great! I haven't purchased a game since the summer sale. It helps that I set a hard limit on price and discount percentage. Otherwise, I just have to wait for another time. We all know that, if you wait long enough, you may get the game cheaper.
Sometimes, the game dropping to its lowest possible price does eventually happen and then it is the biggest temptation. For example: A couple days ago, Full Bore was part of a Humble Bundle and due to its similarity to Escape Goat, the game had been on my wishlist. I could technically have gone into stingy mode and bought the bundle including two other games for as low as $1 (for Steam codes) or even for 10 cents (for direct download without Steam) but I passed on the opportunity because I realized that I don't absolutely need the game and breaking my abstinence for something I don't absolutely want seemed a bit unnecessary.

PS: Congrats on staying strong since the summer sale, let's try to keep it that way :)
Post edited August 09, 2015 by awalterj
Gnostic: I fail and buy more games because I had a good excuse (I think). Paypal want my private information or else it limit my account so I decided to empty my paypal funds in case things go wrong.
groundhog42: Is that picture actually from your Paypal account, or is it from an email you have received? As I receive fairly regular emails from scammers, claiming that I need to provide more information or else my account will be limited. I know you're probably aware of this, but I'd hate to see anyone get caught out by this scam.
That's my fear too. Once I see the mail I log into my paypal account and find it saying the same thing. So will see how it turn out, then decide if I want a different payment service provider.
Well it looks like I've been clean for 2 months as of August 7.

*fires confetti*

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!
BillyMaysFan59: Well it looks like I've been clean for 2 months as of August 7.

*fires confetti*

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!
2 months? That's my next goal. Anyway: yub nub!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBrLHMCTDAA
awalterj: PS: Congrats on staying strong since the summer sale, let's try to keep it that way :)
It was not much of a problem. And it was not really an addiction. It was more of a phase, due with the novelty of being here on GOG.

I think I started to see the games on promotion being repeated again and again. Do I need them? No, I don't, like you said. Do I really really want them? Not that much right now. I can wait for another opportunity and reevaluate my situation then. It won't kill me to wait 4 months or pay €4 euros more should some mysterious motive require me to own the title immediately. I don't even play most games I own due to lack of free time to do it!

So, not saying "not right now" is easier than saying just "no". And later, maybe I just won't care about it any more.
Gede: So, not saying "not right now" is easier than saying just "no". And later, maybe I just won't care about it any more.
That's what I usually say, but unfortunately for me I do have somewhat of an addiction. I always have the itch to buy. I go a week without buying (like now) and I think "great, a week without buying", then quickly fall to the temptation. Right now I'm waiting to see what will be unlocked in the Humble Bandai Namco Bundle, because I'm tempted to buy it for ENSLAVED. I hope it's nothing I want.
ET3D: Right now I'm waiting to see what will be unlocked in the Humble Bandai Namco Bundle, because I'm tempted to buy it for ENSLAVED. I hope it's nothing I want.
I see. It seems to be a condition more serious that I imagined.

I just buy almost all my games from GOG. They must be DRM-free. Maybe if you start setting some harsh limitations of this sort it will help you find "excuses" to not buy them?... I don't know, but I wish I could be helpful.
somewhat related to my purcchasing guilt. ..i realised i've been playing FFV on and off for 5 years+ and never completed it. that's not so bad , i guess. i took about ... 6 years(?) to beat betrayal at krondor.
Gede: I see. It seems to be a condition more serious that I imagined.
Yes, only about 20 minutes until the new games unlock. I'm not obsessive at all. :) (Well, I just went GOGing and saw your reply, or I might have forgotten about this.)

Worse, I'm seriously thinking of buying PlayMaker for Unity, which is on sale for $35. I don't develop for Unity, don't think I'll do in the near future, but I did dabble in it, and I'm thinking it would help me prototype stuff when I do.
dick1982: somewhat related to my purcchasing guilt. ..i realised i've been playing FFV on and off for 5 years+ and never completed it. that's not so bad , i guess. i took about ... 6 years(?) to beat betrayal at krondor.
I rarely finish games. Unless its something like Civ, that is meant to be replayed frequently. The only RPG I finished was a JRPG. Half a dozen graphic adventures... Two platform games... Syndicate, Starcraft, and that is almost the full list!
I have Final Fantasy VII on hold for many, many years (way more than 5!).
I cannot play regularly, I stop playing for a while, and then forget about the game, don't feel like continuing or get bored. I should really try to extract more value from the games I own, but I don't want it to feel like it is a chore.

That is one more reason to limit my games intake.
Resisted the mild temptation to buy the newly released Anno games. They look nice, but at their current discount they aren't enticing enough.
BillyMaysFan59: Resisted the mild temptation to buy the newly released Anno games. They look nice, but at their current discount they aren't enticing enough.
I can highly recommend the Anno games and like them all except for Anno 1503 which is the most challenging one but not necessarily in a fun way, it can get tedious and is for people who -really- like to micromanage. In some ways, it's the best Anno game in terms of the gameplay complexities but I didn't enjoy it that much personally. I'd start with the original 1602, combat sucks but it's a very relaxing experience. 1602 has more charm, 1503 has more complexity and challenge.
1701 is fun but lacks the challenge of 1503 and the charm of 1602 so I'd prioritize getting the other ones first, and hopefully 1404 if they add it to the catalog. 1404 strikes an ideal balance, not quite as anal as 1503 and not as simple as 1701, and more advanced graphics of course. In terms of graphics, 1503 is my favorite as I prefer 2D any time of the day.

If you've played 1602, that's pretty much all you need for the series and the best place to start unless you get addicted and can't get enough after that.

Anyway, waiting for a deeper sale can't hurt, especially if you're on a clean for soandsomanydays run :)
The recent additions of Archimedean Dynasty, Albion and the Anno games have been an absolutely magnificent addition to the catalog (exactly what GOG is about) and getting any of those at some point is no sin but rather a must imho.

PS: Haven't played the sci-fi Anno 2070 game so I don't know how good that one is
Post edited August 14, 2015 by awalterj
BillyMaysFan59: Resisted the mild temptation to buy the newly released Anno games. They look nice, but at their current discount they aren't enticing enough.
Same here. Keep adding and un-adding them to the basket... :(
I wonder if these will run on my laptops's Intel hd graphics...
So anyway, do you guys think it's better to *at least* start so-called "the backlog from hell cleasing" alphabetically? Bad idea? I'm sayin' it 'cause it kinda fits the purpose, for me.