It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

awalterj:
I also bought quite a lot of stuff in this sale - got for now 14 items that were my wishlist and another one that wasn't there (1954 Alcatraz-couldn't resist its low price!). Thankfully though I didn't spend (yet) as much as I could have spent on wishlisted items because I did what I usually do with discounted items: I think whether I feel the discounted price is proportional to the amount of desire I have to play the game at the time being (that time being not being right now, because I seldom download my games as soon as I purchase them, but still this time of the year).
If I feel the discount doesn't match that desire, I pass the discount, even if it is a reasonable one. For example, I just decided to pass on the Massive Assault series, even though they're on my wishlist and have a reasonable 70% off, because I feel I'd prefer to get them at 80% rather than 70% off right now, while I got Halfway 2 days ago, despite it having a smaller discount (66%), because it looks like something I'd like to play in summertime. I also don't get stuff if I feel it doesn't have a high enough discount, no matter how much I'd like to get it. I didn't get Escape Goat 2 for now, even though I liked the 1st one a lot, because 50% is still too low a discount, for example - same with everything else on my wishlist that has a discount smaller than 60%-70%.
As for bundles, if their total price for me is above $10 (usually with bundles from where I don't own anything they contain - I got bundles that were cheaper because I already had games that were there), if they are a series bundle (both cases of such bundles were series bundles for me) I watch a video review of the 1st of the series (I usually play games from series in order) from youtube, which gives me the chance to think if I'd want to put up with its mechanics at this time. For now, I don't especially feel like playing Darksiders (or any other God-of-war style game) at this time of year and don't feel like bumping into enemies to hit them (Ys series) so I passed those 2 bundles -$30 saved!
Of course the only slight problem is that I want Xenonauts and don't feel like it's worth $11 for me (as per its discounted deal price) so I'd have to pay $50 to get it along with other stuff, which means I might relapse on certain things because I'll feel the urge to spend $50 and there might not be enough other stuff from my wishlist to get me to that amount without me deciding to buy items I passed before for the aforementioned reasons...
I bought only one game so far. Although every game in my wish list had a discount, i played almost all of them, so its not very tempting. I bought many games which i dont even want to play on the winter sale so it was a good lesson.
I could definitely benefit from this group...
Got Good News(TM)! and good news.

The Good News(TM)!:
Caved in and bought a couple games.

The good news:
So far I didn't buy very much yet. None of the bundles interested me and I resisted most of the flash deals that were more or less tempting. Also I do plan on picking a game to donate to TBBBBoB.
I've only bought the Sam & Max Bundle in the sale so far, 'cos it was dirt cheap.

I already own those 3 games on Steam, but I'm considering giving that account away with a PC I'm selling - it has 440 games associated with it, only half of which I've played. Bonkers I know, but it's a way of reducing my backlog of games that I will probably never get round to play.

I now have 104 games on Gog, also half of which I've yet to play. I have no plans to get anything else, unless Divinity: Original Sin comes up dirt cheap :)
Post edited June 08, 2015 by neuroboy
This is simply not the time to stop buying games on GOG :)
Spend, spend, spend :)
I read some post of this long thread. It's fun. :-)
Well I tought I had really too much game but I understand it's not so. I have here more than 400 games, but I have only few more games out of here and I play only on pc. I don't like consoles. I have just a machine (the pc) to make almost everything.
I Know I will not play all these games and I also bought some game I already have (but here I'm sure I will play them). But I really enjoy Gog. For me this is a special place so even if I buy something elsewhere too, I buy here most of my games and I like and play "good old games". Now I'm playing Ultima underworld for example. :-)
Post edited June 09, 2015 by Itlodeo
Doing really well with my therapy.
Attachments:
keepitup.jpg (53 Kb)
H4lp!
neuroboy: I already own those 3 games on Steam, but I'm considering giving that account away with a PC I'm selling - it has 440 games associated with it, only half of which I've played. Bonkers I know, but it's a way of reducing my backlog of games that I will probably never get round to play.
This really is insane. You'd giving away a backlog then buying a new one? Just play the damned games.
MMLN: Well, to bad I did not found this sooner :( Cos I could used the help of this community few minutes ago :(

I was unable to resist the urge to buy 7 games on my wishlist with just one click :(

Bad Bad GoG and Paradox :(
It's never too late to start therapy, welcome MMLN!

The Paradox bundle was a good deal, this is many hundreds (or thousands) of hours of gameplay if you actually play all those. I was interested in Crusader Kings but kicked it off my wishlist because I simply don't have the time and energy for such in.depth games at the moment or in the near future. I own Hearts of Iron III which struck me as the most interesting Paradox game but I have no time to play it - and it's a game that needs a lot of concentration to get into, can't handle that currently. Games that allow for shorter sessions and have simple controls & interfaces are more suitable to my current needs.

Treasure: I also bought quite a lot of stuff in this sale - got for now 14 items that were my wishlist and another one that wasn't there (1954 Alcatraz-couldn't resist its low price!).
Hello cartoony Mediterranean pirate, long time no see :)
Same here for Alcatraz, that wasn't on my wishlist ever but for that low price I could not resist. The discount percentage was attractive as well although I not as much a factor to me sinceI consider the game's regular price way overpriced.

Treasure: Thankfully though I didn't spend (yet) as much as I could have spent on wishlisted items because I did what I usually do with discounted items: I think whether I feel the discounted price is proportional to the amount of desire I have to play the game at the time being (that time being not being right now, because I seldom download my games as soon as I purchase them, but still this time of the year).
I changed my strategy into only buying what I immediately install and at least start to play but with this summer sale, I already fell back into old habits. Hmph :/

Treasure: If I feel the discount doesn't match that desire, I pass the discount, even if it is a reasonable one. For example, I just decided to pass on the Massive Assault series, even though they're on my wishlist and have a reasonable 70% off, because I feel I'd prefer to get them at 80% rather than 70% off right now, while I got Halfway 2 days ago, despite it having a smaller discount (66%), because it looks like something I'd like to play in summertime. I also don't get stuff if I feel it doesn't have a high enough discount, no matter how much I'd like to get it. I didn't get Escape Goat 2 for now, even though I liked the 1st one a lot, because 50% is still too low a discount, for example - same with everything else on my wishlist that has a discount smaller than 60%-70%.
Ha, I toyed with buying the Massive assault series as well but then I realized I don't really like my strategy games to be 3D and kicked the game off my wishlist. I like the clear overview of 2D strategy games. Turn based games like Incubation can be an exception, here the 3D added a cool and dramatic element, especially when the camera follows the view of the monster son enemy turn and you can see the mobs sneaking up on your squad members who then dutifully use cover fire, or get mauled valiantly.
I also passed on Escape Goat 2 for the same reason. I really liked the free version of Escape Goat where one can clear 3 stages so I just bought the full version but I'll wait for a steeper discount on Escape Goat 2.

Good call on Halfway, it's a -very- underappreciated game around here. One of my top favorites games of last year. It's as if the game was made for me personally! Easy interace and controls, crisp delicious graphics, nice atmosphere. No convoluted RPG elements, just streamlined tactical gameplay with just enough depth to keep things interesting. Missions are short so ideal for short sessions and the challenge feels just comfortably right, it's fairly easy on normal and satisfyingly challenging on game mode++.
If they make a sequel, I gobble that up like cake. No doubt, this is my kinda game!

Treasure: As for bundles, if their total price for me is above $10 (usually with bundles from where I don't own anything they contain - I got bundles that were cheaper because I already had games that were there), if they are a series bundle (both cases of such bundles were series bundles for me) I watch a video review of the 1st of the series (I usually play games from series in order) from youtube, which gives me the chance to think if I'd want to put up with its mechanics at this time. For now, I don't especially feel like playing Darksiders (or any other God-of-war style game) at this time of year and don't feel like bumping into enemies to hit them (Ys series) so I passed those 2 bundles -$30 saved!
I'm not a fan of bundles, even if the deal looks absolutely unbeatable like those Star Wars "Sabre" and "Blaster" bundles a while ago. A real no-brainer but I passed on the offer because the only Star Wars games I really want are Galactic Battlegrounds Saga and Jedi Knight II. I'm often amazed at how efficient other people shop with all their Humble bundles etc, I'm just not a smart shopper that way and it's the same with food. Last month, I managed to spend as much on food as on rent. No joke. I have a physically demanding job so I need many munchies though, and I refuse to cut back on food expenses. Anything but on food!

Treasure: Of course the only slight problem is that I want Xenonauts and don't feel like it's worth $11 for me (as per its discounted deal price) so I'd have to pay $50 to get it along with other stuff, which means I might relapse on certain things because I'll feel the urge to spend $50 and there might not be enough other stuff from my wishlist to get me to that amount without me deciding to buy items I passed before for the aforementioned reasons...
Yep, it's one of GOG's more deviant marketing ploys and it's wokring beautifully. I first laughed at the summer sale as in "come at me bro" but then my resolve faltered due to the cheap Alcatraz deal and it was downhill from there. Battles have been lost because of one gap in a pike formation. I knew that full well but it's like an out-of-body experience where I watch this awalterj dude shopping, as if it wasn't me.

Do you think you'll reach the $50 mark? I'm getting very close, 1 or 2 more purchases and I'm there.
Funny because I don't even have a high interest in Xenonauts, I'm an old school XCOM fan but Xenonauts doesn't give me those XCOM vibes at all. Perhaps I must play it to know but my intuition usually tells me very accurately if I'll like a game.
[i]Do you think you'll reach the $50 mark? I'm getting very close, 1 or 2 more purchases and I'm there.
Funny because I don't even have a high interest in Xenonauts, I'm an old school XCOM fan but Xenonauts doesn't give me those XCOM vibes at all. Perhaps I must play it to know but my intuition usually tells me very accurately if I'll like a game.[/i]

X-Com TFTD scarred me for life. i don't wanna play another x-com-ish unless it's made for retarded babies.
if i "make it" to the $50 mark, i will gift it away.
awalterj: Yep, it's one of GOG's more deviant marketing ploys and it's wokring beautifully. I first laughed at the summer sale as in "come at me bro" but then my resolve faltered due to the cheap Alcatraz deal and it was downhill from there.
The easiest way to resist temptation is to not look at the store page. I just went there and immediately got tempted to look at some deals (though resisted the urge to buy).

Looks like I've gotten pretty good at resisting temptation. Last month I spent $1.25 on games and this month $1 so far (although I think I'll buy that $2 bundle at Bundle Stars). (This doesn't include Kickstarter pledges, which I account for separately.) Of course what I end up playing is hidden object adventures given for free by Amazon (but that's partly because Hellraid: The Escape crashes on my tablet).
Post edited June 09, 2015 by ET3D
I give up, I'll start therapy after the sales :)
Help me!
My wallet is getting wiped clean due to the irresistible sales GOG is having right now!
I've reduced my wishlist from triple digits to double and the number is going down by the day.
I CAN'T HELP IT!
MY FINGERS ARE MOVING WITH A WILL OF THEIR OWN!!!!! O_O