It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Resisted the new Humble Transformer comic bundle. Yay for me.

By the way, the new "BTA+$5" for the top tear is interesting.
gamefood redirected me to this selfhelp group and I would like to confess that I just spent 174,25€ in the current Insomnia Sale. I was genuinly shocked myself, since I never thought the number was so high. I thought of about 100€ maximum. I will definitly buy The Witcher 3 when it comes out aswell as Chasm. But besides these two I do not plan on purchasing any more games this year. Atleast not the next 4-5 months. Can't promise anything beyond that.
BUT many of the games I bought were given away for free to the community. Atleast 20+ games :)
Well that was my vonfession. I plan on using a fixed budget for the future sales. I am not sure if I will be able to stick to it. The least I can do is try though.
Post edited March 06, 2015 by The_Blog
I don't know if you will find any kind of satisfaction from my take on that, but, on a personal plan, I don't buy games for beating all of them or even sometimes for playing them. I buy them because, in my experience, life is all about choice. I want to be able to, going home, feeling like playing a schmup one day, an rpg the other day, a platformer the third...

I don't need to finish each and everyone of them. I just need to play them enough to feel satisfied for their worth. Sometimes, I just want to have them in the case of... having the need to play them later :) The f°ck if it never happen ! I just want to be able to play them... one day... if that day come...

I pledge on KS projects for pretty much the same reasons : I want those games to exist one day if I ever feel the need to play them :)

See ? Instead of "Stop Buying games", why not making it "Stop the obsession of necessary beating every games you possess even if you know thirty second after playing them, that... you just don't like them !" The worst loss of time is the one spent on something we don't like or need, but do by personal obsession.
MacArthur: I don't know if you will find any kind of satisfaction from my take on that, but, on a personal plan, I don't buy games for beating all of them or even sometimes for playing them. I buy them because, in my experience, life is all about choice. I want to be able to, going home, feeling like playing a schmup one day, an rpg the other day, a platformer the third...

I don't need to finish each and everyone of them. I just need to play them enough to feel satisfied for their worth. Sometimes, I just want to have them in the case of... having the need to play them later :) The f°ck if it never happen ! I just want to be able to play them... one day... if that day come...

I pledge on KS projects for pretty much the same reasons : I want those games to exist one day if I ever feel the need to play them :)

See ? Instead of "Stop Buying games", why not making it "Stop the obsession of necessary beating every games you possess even if you know thirty second after playing them, that... you just don't like them !" The worst loss of time is the one spent on something we don't like or need, but do by personal obsession.
That is a very interesting take on it, but tbh. I do not fear that I will never beat them. I already acknowledged that years ago. I have about 300 games backlog on steam that I am atleast interested in and about 250 games on gog ^^
Although I have to say that I actually beat allot of games in the last few months. It's not that I fear that I do not gonna finish them. Especially on a Insomnia Sale like this one I feel that it sometimes is really just about owning the games. I know the chance that I actually install and play them on my PC is not that great, simply because there are too many games. Ofcourse I am interested in every game I buy and I would love to atleast try them all out once, but I simply do not have the time for that. It has this kind of hoarder mentality to it. I do not collect anything else, so it kinda is my hobby in a way to collect games. I am normally fully ok with that, but this sale actually made my hands shake a bit when I noticed how much I actually spent on the games. It is really really hard to notice how much money you are actually spending on things in a sale like this.

Here is a list of all the games and gifts I actually bought:
LINK

Most of them were gifts for other people to my suprise. I just had so much fun gifting people stuff and seeing how happy they were about it that I kinda lost track of it. ^^ If you would remove the gifted game you would probably hit pretty close to my usual amount of money spent on gog sales.

/EDIT: I am also very interested in older games despite my, compared to other one's on this site, young age of 18. So it also is kinda like collecting a bit of the past that I do not wan't to miss although I already know when buying it that I will probably never get through 200 hours of Baldus Gate 1 + 2.
Post edited March 06, 2015 by The_Blog
MacArthur: See ? Instead of "Stop Buying games", why not making it "Stop the obsession of necessary beating every games you possess even if you know thirty second after playing them, that... you just don't like them !"
I don't think anyone here is obsessed with finishing all games. That's not the problem. The question is, do you buy more games than you're playing? If you go through the games you bought at about the rate you're buying them, regardless of how much you play of them, that's fine. If you're buying more games than you're playing, and the size of your backlog keeps growing, then any spin you put on it is just that, and the real step you need to take is acknowledge that you have a buying habit.
MacArthur: See ? Instead of "Stop Buying games", why not making it "Stop the obsession of necessary beating every games you possess even if you know thirty second after playing them, that... you just don't like them !"
ET3D: I don't think anyone here is obsessed with finishing all games. That's not the problem. The question is, do you buy more games than you're playing? If you go through the games you bought at about the rate you're buying them, regardless of how much you play of them, that's fine. If you're buying more games than you're playing, and the size of your backlog keeps growing, then any spin you put on it is just that, and the real step you need to take is acknowledge that you have a buying habit.
I don't mind a growing backlog, or a backlog that I cannot finish even if I live to 100 years.

I do mind spending too much till my financial is shakey

I don't think buying on GOG is my main vices, but kickstarter is. If I spend an average of $5-6 for each GOG games in sales, I can buy the entire GOG catalog via my kickstarter funds.
Gnostic: I don't mind a growing backlog, or a backlog that I cannot finish even if I live to 100 years.

I do mind spending too much till my financial is shakey
I try to stop long before that. I could buy a lot more games and still have enough money left, but I feel it's kind of pointless. Might as well use that money for other things.

(As for Kickstarter, I budget it pretty strictly. I still spend more than on games, but I figure it's for a good cause.)
There sure is lots of activity in this thread in these perilous days of double trouble Insomnia :O
So many posts to reply to, I can't do it all at once...fortunately this is a group therapy so everyone can therapize everyone and there's no need for any one person to reply to everything, I'm probably only going to repeat myself anyway but we need to help each other regardless, and of course any non-therapy related talk is always equally welcome. Because when you're talking, you're not buying --> mission accomplished, or at the very least doom delayed!

awalterj: Even at the higher levels, grind can never be taken out of the equation.
ET3D: It depends on the field. I'd say that for programming and writing, two creative fields I'm familiar with, there's no real grind. Sure, there's work you want less to do, such as debugging or editing (or whatever your pet hate is), but it's still all part of the creative process. It's not grind as such, and making it go faster is a matter of being more efficient. For example, a tip given by prolific writers is not to edit while you write: finish the story first, then see what needs to be done (and stop when it's good enough, because it will never be perfect). I never managed to do that.
I haven't formally trained writing since junior college but I write stuff on my own, however it's not a field of specialty of mine and my approach to writing is not very efficient or systematic. I start editing way before having a framework of the whole, this s probably due to my drawing experience because when you're drawing you have to edit any mistake as soon as possible. Any mistake will affect what you add later on, so if the proportions on e.g. an arm or leg are wrong there's no point whatsoever in rendering that part before correcting the foundation. I take a similar approach to writing even though writing is more free-form and allows for greater shuffling around and heavier editing in later stages.

In general, my mantra is a quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry:
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

This is immensely valuable advice and even more immensely hard to apply. Whenever I write a long text or long review etc, I ask myself if I could not have said it in simpler terms, in less words. Without sacrificing the message or increasing the probability of being misunderstood. I'm greatly annoyed by the fact that in "argue threads", I often want to address the other side's arguments 10 steps in advance as if it was chess but of course it's impossible to write such long replies, it's too draining. And then the other side says exactly what you expected them to say and you feel like having to watch a bad movie you've already seen twice, and then you contemplate upon the meaning of life and why you're wasting time arguing with people on the internet instead of doing something useful like collecting edible herbs in the forest or killing that pesky fly that has been flying around you while you're busy arguing on the internet :/

ET3D: In the case of what I decided to do, it's more an issue of agile development, that is, finding a subset of the work that can be made into a working product (prototype), whose scope is low enough that it can practically be done in a short amount of time. and which can be expanded iteratively to include more features of the desired end product.
Sounds very advanced to me, naturally I don't understand any of this as it's not a field I'm familiar with. The most I can manage in terms of agile development is getting up in the morning (or afternoon) which also requires adaptive planning: Should I roll over to the edge of the bed and then get up or should I get up halfway and then sea crawl to the edge? How do I get around the piles of paper and sketchpads and bottles of water and whatnot? This all requires planning.
On a more serious note, I can certainly subscribe to principle no.6 of the Agile Manifesto:

"Face-to-face conversation is the best form of communication "

This is a huge point, and virtually all my sales I've ever made were made face-to-face.
I can't subscribe to no.8 as I work in spurs of energy followed by spurs of sleeping, eating popcorn and posting stuff on the forum here.
I also can't subscribe to no.2 which is why once a commission is decided upon, I usually don't show the work until it's done. Making changes to a drawing/painting late in development ranges from very difficult to downright impossibru, especially in media like watercolor where you can simply forget it.
no.9 sounds like a no-brainer that applies to every field: Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design, well of course!
Post edited March 07, 2015 by awalterj
awalterj: Because when you're talking, you're not buying --> mission accomplished, or at the very least doom delayed!
Well that's not true ^^
You can ahve multiple Tabs open at the same time you know, right? :D
Hi, my name is skeletonbow and I buy a lot of games on different services although GOG #1, and secondly Steam and it's resellers. But um... I can stop buying games whenever I like. No really, I can! :)

I say that in both humour and also in seriousness though. I really can stop buying games if I wanted to, I just for the most part don't want to. But there isn't necessarily a problem with that either.

I think the difference from one individual to another boils down to whether your individual habits with buying games (or anything else) whether it is habitual or not - causes harm or other negative consequences to you in your life somehow or not. If there is no harm being caused financially or otherwise to you or your close family/friends out of gaming or any other particular hobby, then there isn't really any problem to solve.

I know that some people do end up feeling guilty from doing it and not playing all of their games, or they might even feel like because they've accumulated a massive number of games that they are now obligated to play and complete every one of them in order to make the purchase a worthwhile use of their money and feel like they didn't just waste the money. Whether it is a true problem or not though simply takes some introspection. If one has ample money to be spending a few dollars here and there on collecting games whether they will be played or not, and that does not dip into money intended for paying bills or debts, or putting food on the table or rent or similar, then it isn't necessarily a problem to spend the money. If one can afford it and money isn't a problem but one feels guilt over not playing them all or not completing them all, or feels anxiety like you now have 1000 things "to do" on the mountain of things to do in life, then that is something that can be dealt with psychologically either via self-help books/videos or by talking to a psychologist or similar. The key is whether a behaviour is actually causing harm or other negative consequences and if it causes either and there is a desire to change that, then it's worth pursuing in order to feel better.

For myself, I've accumulated an unknown total number of games since late 2012 mostly on GOG and Steam, although also some on Shinyloot and other services, and I've got dozens of CD/DVD games to add to the mountain as well. I really do not spend very much money on myself for "disposable income" type things and never have really, and when I add up the total estimate of what I've spent on games in the last 2 years or so - despite me having spent probably around $1500 or so, that's only the cost of a small handful of triple-A games that I know many others do regularly. If I divide that money month by month it works out to say... $50/month or less overall which is a small amount of money to spend on myself and end up owning things that have high levels of entertainment value and high level of permanence and replay value compared to what many people spend each month on throwaway stuff, Starbucks $5 coffees and all other hyperconsumer products and services swamping everyone every day.

The money is never money that is something I should be using for something else, nor something I regret after. Sometimes when deciding upon which game to pick next I have to admit to being a little overwhelmed with the choices I now have, and sometimes feel obligated to make a TODO queue and go through it, but I generally catch myself and say "so what, who cares" as it really doesn't matter. What matters is that if I want to be entertained, to look through my choices and pick one that I think I'll enjoy right now and not worry about what else is left or whether I ever get to it.

In short though, it all comes down to whether gaming and collecting games is causing the individual harm or negative consequences which they deem to be a real world problem. If bills don't get paid, or other work or responsibilities in life aren't getting accomplished, or increase in stress or anxiety or other negative feelings happen regularly and they're a problem - then it's probably a good idea to look into options for healthy change for sure.

On that note, I must cut it short now as I think I just saw a Steam popup for a new game bundle on sale and I don't want to miss it. :)
AnimalMother117: You would think the GOG staff would take this thread down or something, since their whole purpose is to sell games...
Actually, I would think the exact opposite. The likelihood of this thread having any real net effect on the profitability of GOG's bottom line simply by existing here in the forums and people sharing their thoughts etc. is very very low. However, if GOG were to delete the thread for any reason whatsoever whether doing so silently or actually explaining that they were doing it because it stood to serve against their business interests, do you have any idea how the GOG community would react to such an action?

Without question it would start up a massive anti-GOG flamewar of epic proportions by all of the people both in the thread who felt trampled on as well as zillions of people not even part of the thread that frequent the forums. Many people would see it as an evil corporate move by greedy bean pushers and instantly compare GOG to Steam and other companies often deemed to be evil. Many people would give angry thoughts about it and feedback of the nature of "If this is the way GOG does business then I'll never buy another game from them again, this crosses the line."

It'd probably spread off of GOG's forums too to Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, blogs, gaming media and other locations that are outside of the reach of GOG administrators to delete and silence. In the end it would generate so much ill will towards GOG that they would likely lose more business from doing such a shortsighted hostile action than any business they might protect by attempting to silence people. If you've never heard of the "Streisand Effect", it would essentially be a variant of that (hunt it on Wikipedia for details).

It's not in GOGs nature to do such things and I think they are smart enough to know and gauge what public reaction would be to doing something like that even if they wanted to (which I highly doubt they would want to).

Another reason it would not make any sense is that if they were to try to silence one single conversation that could in theory cause them to potentially have less sales, then the same logic would dictate that they would peruse the forums and silence every and all threads and comments that would stand to reduce sales here too. There are endless threads in these forums of people pointing out game sales on Steam, Gamersgate, Greenmangaming, Humblebundle, Bundlestars and dozens of other sites all of which ultimately funnels gamer dollars into competitors and probably has a bigger effect than people talking about game buying addiction problems.

While the forums ran by a company for their customers to use is not something where any "freedom of speech" laws apply, people worldwide greatly frown upon censorship of all forms whether they live in countries that have freedom of speech laws or not, and whether or not any freedom of speech laws would apply to the situation in which censorship were occurring. Having said that, even though companies are free to censor just about anything they don't want on their forums without the law even entering into it, there is one thing that they absolutely do not control...

Internet Mob Justice(TM). The power of the human voice and subsequent actions taken by oppressed individuals that stand up in unison against their oppressor utilizing the power of the Internet to organize and communicate and ultimately retaliate.

So no... I don't think GOG staff would take this thread down because their goal is to sell games. I think that they would leave it up and remain indifferent about it to sell more games because anything else they might consider doing would result in them almost certainly selling far less games. :)
AnimalMother117: You would think the GOG staff would take this thread down or something, since their whole purpose is to sell games...
What? No why would they? This thread isn't hurting them in any real way and it would show an incredible intolerant and close-minded point of view. So no I wouldn't think in a million years that they would actually take a thread down. When someone is ranting about the layout of the site or the support service they wouldn't take that down either aslong as it is proposed in a kind manner and not just Spam.
Not to mention the giant flamewar that would start up if they started to censor their forums.
Post edited March 07, 2015 by The_Blog
AnimalMother117:
skeletonbow:
AnimalMother117:
The_Blog:
I find it peculiar and somewhat funny that people are finding my old comment and end up taking my joke seriously. Meaning no disrespect to anybody.

Also, how is it my old avatar is showing up for new posts? Since my new one is the one that shows up on the page.
awalterj: In general, my mantra is a quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry:
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"
The writing article I read had a different take, which was to say that anything reasonably well written will have its fans. You don't need perfection, you just need these fans. Move to the next thing, and then the next. You will have a lot more success doing a lot of good but imperfect things than trying to gain perfection. Plus you'll improve with experience.

skeletonbow: The money is never money that is something I should be using for something else, nor something I regret after.
I agree that if you have enough money to buy anything you want, and enough saved, then spending on games you don't play is not a serious problem. But If you buy $1500-worth of games over two years, and let's say $1000-worth of that is never played, then no matter how you cut it, you've still spent $1000 on nothing much, $1000 which could have been used on a PC upgrade, a trip, a pension fund, or whatever. Even buying a cup of coffee can be counted as a better use of money if you like coffee, compared to a game you never play.

If you're a collector, then that's different. I'd say that spending any amount of money on your collection is fine (as long as you still have enough to live and you're saving something for the future). You gain the pleasure of a larger collection, and that can be worth any money spent to gain that 1000 game library, or whatever. But if you're not consciously collecting, if you're in it just for the theoretical pleasure of gaming, then be conscious that you may be spending a not-insignificant sum of money on stuff you're doing nothing with.
Post edited March 08, 2015 by ET3D
I don't have a problem refraining from purchasing games at full price. It's the sales I'm addicted to. I need help! I'm a sick (and broke) man.....