It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Confirmed.

The day has finally come and the holy grail of classic gaming has arrived on GOG.com. Welcome, Lucasfilm games! You are among friends, here! We're proud to announce our team-up with ©Disney Interactive that allows for the DRM-free release of 20+ classic titles from the cult-classic developer. We know you waited long for this moment, so we want to reunite you with those golden oldies with as little delay as possible. Today, to start with a bang, we are releasing a selection of 6 acclaimed titles from Lucasfilm's most famous gaming franchises, so that the Lucasfilm/Disney catalog on GOG.com is made impressive from day one. Here are the great titles you can get right away:

<i>Star Wars</i>&trade;: X-Wing Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade;: TIE Fighter Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
Sam &amp; Max Hit the Road (Windows + Mac + Linux!) - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
The Secret of Monkey Island&trade;: Special Edition
Indiana Jones&reg; and the Fate of Atlantis&trade; (Windows + Mac + Linux!)
<i>Star Wars</i>&reg;: Knights of the Old Republic

Note that numerous Lucas titles, including 3 from the launch lineup (Star Wars®: X-Wing Special Edition, Star Wars®: TIE Fighter Special Edition, Sam & Max Hit the Road), are available digitally for the first time ever, ready to play with no fuss on modern operating systems. With more fantastic titles headed for our Lucasfilm/Disney catalog, you can expect to see Lucasfilm games popping up frequently on GOG.com in the coming months.

(C) & ™ Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. STAR WARS, INDIANA JONES, SAM & MAX, MONKEY ISLAND and all characters, names, and related properties are trademarks of & (C) Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates.
PannicAtack: Disney is really big on litigating and protecting their intellectual property and the like, but I doubt they'd waste time dealing with purchasers on GOG.
Even if they did it wouldnt have a chance in any court because what i bought was 100% legal, with both their and gog's agreement. They cannot come back after one month or whatever saying they changed their mind and that somehow I "violate" their "whatever".
It wouldnt stand a chance in any court so lets not be paranoid.
TheJadedOne: You didn't buy a "product", you were granted (for a fee) a license -- a license that comes with terms of use which, if you violate them, your license to use the software is revoked.
Whatever, I bought a drmfree "license" and that is for life, they cannot take it away when they feel like it. I repeat, I bought that drmfree license 100% legally. Like i said, it wouldnt stand a chance in any court.

ps yes on the other drmed platform they can take away your game/license (that is why i will never ever "buy=rent" anything from that awful place). But here on gog? once I bought it, there's not a chance they can take it away. and thats 100% legal
Post edited October 28, 2014 by mobutu
TheJadedOne: WARNING: Disney can effectively revoke your license (or make you pay, or make you switch to a new DRM-ed version, or anything else they want) at any time.

From the terms of service you have to agree to:

We may amend these terms. Any such amendment will be effective thirty (30) days following either our dispatch of a notice to you or our posting of the amendment on the Disney Services. If you do not agree to any change to these terms, you must discontinue using the Disney Services.

And by "Disney Services", they mean the software itself:

The Disney Services are our copyrighted property or the copyrighted property of our licensors or licensees

GOG's "You buy it - it's yours" claim on the gog.com front page does not apply to Disney software. Disney's (one-sided "non-contract") terms of use do.

(I am ignoring any arguments about how Disney can't enforce it or about how they wouldn't do that. The fact is their terms of service include this "you can eat shit and like it" clause, and people going along with such terms certainly does nothing to improve the situation.)

Furthermore, in order to ensure you remain in compliance, you have to check their terms of service page for any changes anytime you want to use their software and it's been more than 30 days since the last time you checked. And to anyone thinking of publicly announcing here that they will just ignore any part of these terms of service they don't like, note that entering into a contract with no intent to honor it opens you up to being charged with fraud in many jurisdictions (and Disney's got craploads of lawyers and you will have no anonymity when GOG gets subpoenaed for your identity).
When you run the installers from gog.com what are the tos you agree to? Is the disney one posted for you to agree to? Cus I don't see how they can enforce something that you never agreed to, that was never brought to your attention in the first place.
Bought Indy and Sam&Max. Now Waiting to Full Throttle, DOTT, Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango and the others Monkey Island games, quite sad though that ME1 is the SE and not the original one.
jalister: I don't recall signing any contracts.
You clicked the box indicating that you accept the licensing agreement. No signature required. Fully enforceable in the US as long as the customer is made aware of the EULA before the purchase becomes non-reversible. (For example, see ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg.)
too bad i just got some of those titles lately... i would prefer having bought on gog, cool additions anyway, gz :)
GOG.com: The day has finally come and the holy grail of classic gaming has arrived on GOG.com. Welcome, Lucasfilm games! You are among friends, here! We're proud to announce our team-up with ©Disney Interactive that allows for the DRM-free release of 20+ classic titles from the cult-classic developer. We know you waited long for this moment, so we want to reunite you with those golden oldies with as little delay as possible. Today, to start with a bang, we are releasing a selection of 6 acclaimed titles from Lucasfilm's most famous gaming franchises, so that the Lucasfilm/Disney catalog on GOG.com is made impressive from day one. Here are the great titles you can get right away:
Great news! Thanks for bringing these!
YES! YES! YES! My heart was going a mile a minute when I saw the front page. This is my childhood right here! I used to have the physical discs for some of these titles and it's quite bizarre as I was thinking about repurchasing them on Amazon. But not anymore. Thank you GOG for reviving these classic titles. You have made my day significantly brighter!

Now I'm hoping on these:

Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
The Dig

The rest of the Monkey Island games, especially the third and fourth ones.

And maybe, just maybe, the upcoming remastered edition of Grim Fandango.

But knowing you guys, I know you can do no wrong. :)

Oh, and since you have a deal with Disney Interactive, maybe you can bring Tron 2.0 to us, too.

I'm glad I made this my first post on the forums.
TheJadedOne: You clicked the box indicating that you accept the licensing agreement. No signature required. Fully enforceable in the US as long as the customer is made aware of the EULA before the purchase becomes non-reversible. (For example, see ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg.)
And by the same token, Specht v. Netscape holds just the opposite. Law on this subject is far from settled. The Second Circuit, which ruled in Specht, is the East Coast court, and the Seventh Circuit, in ProCD, is on the West Coast and far more supportive of the software industry.

I believe it is extremely likely that sooner than later all EULA packages will be voided, but that's here nor there.

I read the TOS you linked to, and it seems pretty clear to me that it is intended to govern a commercial relationship based on use of web services over time. I am sure Disney could argue that their intent is to protect all of their products, but I don't see a court being likely to protect a game which you have downloaded that does not have subsequent contact with Disney's sites and servers as a "service." It is one thing to claim protection under a law stretched thin, and it's another to actually get it.

However, it is an interesting read.
HypersomniacLive: snip
I perfectly undestood that. My 'must haves' from today's releases are 6/6 :-) But also have bought 2 today (Sam & Max plus Indiana Jones)...other 4 will have to wait (but I have the feeling not very long) :-P
Post edited October 28, 2014 by tburger
tburger: I perfectly undestood that. My 'must haves' from today's releases are 6/6 :-) But also have bought 2 todat (Sam & Max plus Indiana Jones)...other 4 will have to wait (but I have the feeling not very long) :-P
Which of those two are you playing first? I'm going to pop one of them on the MacBook Pro as soon as I get home, but as yet undecided on which one...
Post edited October 28, 2014 by budejovice
TheJadedOne: You clicked the box indicating that you accept the licensing agreement. No signature required. Fully enforceable in the US as long as the customer is made aware of the EULA before the purchase becomes non-reversible. (For example, see ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg.)
I can't see Disney trying to enforce this. After all, they're known as the Magic Kingdom, not the Evil Empire.

Some lawyer just got a bit carried away...
OMFG YES!!!!!!
I'm looking forward to X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter, Star Wars: Dark Forces, and any other Star Wars games that I never managed to play post -Windows XP.
Pure nirvana.

Now all we need is amiga version of some classic LA adventures played on ScummVM and heaven gets down to earth :)

Thank you GOG!

Ps. If we get Day of Tentacle we also get Maniac Mansion (to play with ScummVM), No need separate release ;)
mobutu: Whatever, I bought a drmfree "license" and that is for life
Go ahead and show it to us then. Oh, right, you're just making shit up. No where in the terms of use does it say "DRM free" nor does it say it's "for life". (In fact, the only place the word "irrevocable" appears is when Disney claims the right to use stuff you create.) Your made up shit will have absolutely no bearing in a court of law (much less in arbitration).

And your claims about "100% legal" are also false (should you violate terms of use and continue using the software to which you no longer have a license).

And while I agree there are changes which would almost certainly be thrown out ("user must donate both kidneys" comes to mind), there are also plenty of changes they might make that you would not like that could easily pass muster, especially when it's Disney's lawyers vs someone as "legally informed" as yourself.