It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

awalterj: So far, I haven't found any conclusive scientifically proven link between long term RF/EMF exposure and cancer.
Some people are more sensitive to these things than others, e.g. I know people who get headaches when they sleep next to a WLAN router that isn't turned off at night whereas other people don't feel a thing even when they're highly exposed for a long time. Who knows, maybe nature will do its natural selection thing and over the generations slowly weed out all the people that can't withstand the exposure and we'll devolve into a species with super tiny fingers that can type on smartphone screens and anyone who can't do this will not be able to reproduce because the mating ritual will require copious texting. Anyway, one can reduce exposure in your own home (unless you live in an apartment building and the neighbors use WLAN 24/7). I usually don't carry a cell phone and I don't use WLAN at home but that has to do with other reasons than health, mostly the "can't be arsed" reason :)
They don't really fund research for that kind of thing because they'd rather not know the truth, or, if they do have inclinations towards things like that being harmful, they quickly bury such data so they can continue to produce material and sell it to the unsuspecting masses because making money is more important than people's health. There's a lot of horrible crap out there that there is no scientific data to prove it as so. They also tell us that the FDA is protecting us. HAHAHAA!
Klumpen0815: James LaBrie's voice is the reason why I don't like Dream Theater and rather like to hear John Petrucci's other projects.
I was singer in a prog-metal band for a while and the guitar guy was a huge Dream Theater fan so I had to hear them a lot.

I always preferred Pain of Salvation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJ2P8RckIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJgst91CvwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEcmWH7M1zI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YURj2x0do_M
You prefer me? *blushes* I'm so flattered. *giggles*

I couldn't agree more, I like Dream Theater when LaBrie is being quiet. :P When he sings high notes my ears begin to bleed, his voice is so annoying, he also goes off key sometimes. And his diction is terrible when hitting high notes. Not to mention he changes vocal coaches like soxes. :P

On the other hand, Daniel Gildenlow is a true gem, so underrated. Can't say i can find him flaws, that's why i consider him best singer out there. It's just amazing what this guy does with his voice. And his also plays guitar while singing. And he's also multi-instrumentalist. :P

Pain of Salvation - The Big Machine
Pain of Salvation - Reconciliation Live (12:5)
PainOfSalvation: I couldn't agree more, I like Dream Theater when LaBrie is being quiet. :P When he sings high notes my ears begin to bleed, his voice is so annoying, he also goes off key sometimes. And his diction is terrible when hitting high notes. Not to mention he changes vocal coaches like soxes. :P

On the other hand, Daniel Gildenlow is a true gem, so underrated. Can't say i can find him flaws, that's why i consider him best singer out there. It's just amazing what this guy does with his voice. And his also plays guitar while singing. And he's also multi-instrumentalist. :P
Yes, Daniel Gildenlöw uses und masters every trick in the book when it comes to singing although he said, that he prefers to play guitar which is fitting since he really is no diva at heart. ^^ He even uses the little trick with the lower lip to get just another note on top of the range without having to use any falsetto when he needs it and still wants to be loud and sound strong.
I think Daniel Gildenlöw is baritone too and no tenor, but has a very wide range (just like me).
James LaBrie is a diva at heart but doesn't have a big range of notes, often has problems to hit the right frequency and is just average when it comes to technical aspects of singing which is strange in this technician-band (besides his simply awkward sound). If you think about the fact, that Dream Theater always takes a bloody lot of time to calibrate the electronic systems on stage for every member of the band so that it sounds exactly as they want, I couldn't even imagine LaBrie singing anything without a microphone or maybe I just don't want to.

Well, sorry for the bashing, I wouldn't do this if he wouldn't be such a diva and would actually try to improve himself. Sadly, most of his audience seldomly hears clean singing and is happy when someone isn't growling at all.

+1 for more clean singing in Metal.

By the way, which Metal bands do you know that have baritone, bass or alto singers? I'm really tired of tenors and sopranos.
I love the first Falconer album mostly because of the baritone. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoYSwGNGksQ

Some BASS:
Diablo Swing Orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aKh19YVcJo

And some alto:
Flowing Tears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qy089WM_1c
Post edited September 03, 2015 by Klumpen0815
drealmer7: They don't really fund research for that kind of thing because they'd rather not know the truth, or, if they do have inclinations towards things like that being harmful, they quickly bury such data so they can continue to produce material and sell it to the unsuspecting masses because making money is more important than people's health. There's a lot of horrible crap out there that there is no scientific data to prove it as so. They also tell us that the FDA is protecting us. HAHAHAA!
Hm, ok maybe we are getting screwed over. But without electricity, we'd not have heavy metal music! Although, acoustic metal sounds very nice, too. I could listen to this all day while I sail on my imaginary viking ship with no WLAN:

Heathen Foray - Into Battle - Winterking
drealmer7: They don't really fund research for that kind of thing because they'd rather not know the truth, or, if they do have inclinations towards things like that being harmful, they quickly bury such data so they can continue to produce material and sell it to the unsuspecting masses because making money is more important than people's health. There's a lot of horrible crap out there that there is no scientific data to prove it as so. They also tell us that the FDA is protecting us. HAHAHAA!
awalterj: Hm, ok maybe we are getting screwed over. But without electricity, we'd not have heavy metal music! Although, acoustic metal sounds very nice, too. I could listen to this all day while I sail on my imaginary viking ship with no WLAN:

Heathen Foray - Into Battle - Winterking
When it comes to acoustic metal, I highly recommend the album "Heavy Mellow" by Flametal:
Flametal - Aces High (Iron Maiden)
Post edited September 03, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Cool thread.

Neurosis : Through Silver in Blood (full album because...why not?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp7Dz4bh5UE&list=PL2Xyxl9ydrMukw-XJwOrCEjyof3WozT_k

Lyrics, sure why not :)

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/neurosis/throughsilverinblood.html
Post edited September 03, 2015 by Shadowflight
The new Amorphis sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ql4Xe6MxQ4
Vnlr: a bit besides the point of pure metal discussing, but I would like to ask you gentlemen the following, out of curiosity;

A good friend of mine loves death metal, but to me it sounds like a random cascade of noise with garbled screaming, now I offered him to listen to Jon leif's Hekla a while ago, and he said that it was random banging?

Of course, atonal music from the 60ies and death metal are different things entirely, but I did think at the time he'd quite like it (which he really didn't, he said it was too much "random noise")

What do you think of the piece? the real fun only starts at about 5:40 minutes into the piece, but the buildup is also great.

I find it to be quite a lovely piece at what it tries to depict (which it does really well, I can basicly hear Surtr roaring and yingling his chains by the end of the piece), and it doens't at all sound random to me (but I often listen to stuff like this too, so...).

so, what do you think of it?
Thank you, what a wonderful piece! Captivating through and through, truly volcanic metal ImI

As with death metal, academic music and carrot soup, enjoying them is simply a matter of wanting to enjoy them and be truly open, it's easy, just let go.

You, as your friend, are connoting negative feelings to those cascades of noise, it's understandable, but suffering is optional.

Don't be afraid to embrace death metal, or anything really. Try breathing with the music, you'd be amazed how much it helps!

You'd like Winters in the Abyss by Ulrich Krieger. wonderful, wonderful Heavy metal from the depths of the earth.
Klumpen0815: I think Daniel Gildenlöw is baritone too and no tenor, but has a very wide range (just like me).

By the way, which Metal bands do you know that have baritone, bass or alto singers? I'm really tired of tenors and sopranos.
Daniel is high baritone, yes. I think his vocal range is B1 - A5, though i once read somewhere him saying about reaching G1 and C#6. Dunno about yours. :P

Don't know what to recommend. For example, Matt Barlow, Geoff Tate, Eric Adams, Hansi Kursch are all also baritones but they sing mostly in tenor range.

You could give a try to Ambeon - Fate of a Dreamer in case you didn't so far, girl was only 14 at the time. So much talent and awareness in her singing for that age, just amazing.
Some reccomendations:

Terror Cósmico - Era de los Transtornos , this guitar/drums duo play tight Lovecraft inspired metal. It sounds post-rocky and death-metaly to me, though I'm not well versed in genres.

Annapura - II Incredibly energetic crust punk trio, short and to the point. Hurricane drumming.

Wyrd Visions - Freezing Moon An acoustic version of Mayhem's Freezing Moon, brilliantly stark.

Nazareno el Violento - El horror de Dunwich Huge and heavy, groovy grindcore-whatever. Awesome.

Boris - A Bao A Qu What a track! Lively, HUGE, naturally dramatic, straight-from/to-the-soul. Wonderfully japanese!
Some Norwegian metal:

Gehenna- First Spell - The shivering Voice of the Ghost

Klumpen0815: When it comes to acoustic metal, I highly recommend the album "Heavy Mellow" by Flametal:
Flametal - Aces High (Iron Maiden)
Nice guitar skills, thanks for sharing.
some of my most favorite heavy of all time - of course, listen LOUDLY

Soulfly - Jumpdafuckup
Devon Graves made some good music until he vanished into thin air. :o

Deadsoul Tribe - Stone by Stone
one of my top 2014
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
THE AGONIST - My Witness, Your Victim

Turmion Kätilöt - MINÄ MÄÄRÄÄN