It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mrkgnao:
Maybe it's related to this : https://www.gog.com/forum/general/cdnhwgogcom_is_damn_slow_about_2_kbs
mrkgnao:
MaxFulvus: Maybe it's related to this : https://www.gog.com/forum/general/cdnhwgogcom_is_damn_slow_about_2_kbs
Might well be related. I'll be following that thread, but MaGog's issue is even more basic --- she can't even access cdn-hw.
Thanks for the link.
high rated
mrkgnao: I just wanted to give you all a heads up that as of yesterday, MaGog is suddenly unable to access file details about any game in my library. She can access the file link and file name, but when she tries to get the file size and modification date/time, she gets an error "Can't connect to cdn-hw.gog.com:443".

I looked at it quite a bit and didn't find a solution. Probably something changed on GOG's side, perhaps a new authentication procedure, but I have no idea what, since MaGog is still able to log in and access my library as before, just not the actual downloadable files themselves. I tried everything I could think of in what little I have at the moment (I am still touring the world; currently in Taiwan), but was unable to find a workaround.

What this means is that the file sizes and file modification dates/times displayed by MaGog for downloadable files are not being updated and therefore become out of date for any file updated by GOG. Additionally, this means that MaGog will no longer be able to detect subtle changes that are not reflected in GOG's galaxy api (e.g. a file size changed by a few bytes, or a broken (404) link), as it could until now for games I own.

If anyone knows what changed yesterday in GOG in relation to cdn-hw or to the login procedure, please let me know.

If no solution is found within a few days, I expect I will remove the file size/date/time information from MaGog to avoid confusion. I will let you know when I do that.

Sorry.
Sorry GOG's giving MaGog and you such a hard time.

Thanks for everything, and enjoy your world tour, that's what's important.
high rated
As MaGog is still unable to connect to cdn-hw and until this is fixed, if ever, I made the following changes to avoid confusion.

Version 9.1.0, 15 Dec 2017

* Changed the display of downloadable files to show only limited information for games where the detailed information is outdated
*** Note: On 13 December 2017, GOG made changes that prevent MaGog from getting full file data (size/date/time) for games I own.
*** Note: As a result, downloadable file data for any game that changes after that date becomes outdated.
*** Note: To avoid confusion, any such game will now display only limited file data (as if I did not own the game).
*** Note: Any game I own that hasn't changed since 13 December 2017 will continue to display full file data, as before.
Would it be possible to add a version check between Steam's version of a game in comparison to GOG? All too often, I am bitten when buying a GOG game and it turns out that it has been several updates behind the one found on Steam, probably never receiving future updates.

This typically involves checking GOG forums, MaGOG, and the game's Steam news page or forum. It gets old, fast.

For the sake of my wallet and mind...please?
Post edited December 15, 2017 by Sabin_Stargem
Sabin_Stargem: Would it be possible to add a version check between Steam's version of a game in comparison to GOG? ...
Not likely to happen since MaGog is only kept running in the so called legacy mode now, no new features or games added.
See this post:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/magog_a_search_engine_for_gog_games/post1612
Sabin_Stargem: Would it be possible to add a version check between Steam's version of a game in comparison to GOG? ...
moonshineshadow: Not likely to happen since MaGog is only kept running in the so called legacy mode now, no new features or games added.
See this post:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/magog_a_search_engine_for_gog_games/post1612
Yeah, you'd better go to Yepoleb for things like this. :)
Thanks for the pointers. :)
Sabin_Stargem: Would it be possible to add a version check between Steam's version of a game in comparison to GOG? All too often, I am bitten when buying a GOG game and it turns out that it has been several updates behind the one found on Steam, probably never receiving future updates.

This typically involves checking GOG forums, MaGOG, and the game's Steam news page or forum. It gets old, fast.

Sure, I can look into that, within the limits of legacy mode, but you will need to help me a bit.
I don't really know Steam, as I don't use it. Where do I find the Steam version number for a specific game?
mrkgnao: Sure, I can look into that, within the limits of legacy mode, but you will need to help me a bit.
I don't really know Steam, as I don't use it. Where do I find the Steam version number for a specific game?
Unfortunately, it is starting to look like that I assumed too much on the topic. It seems that Steam doesn't have a mandated public method to see actual patches - at least, not without first buying a game and booting up the client.

The folk who developed SteamDB reads Steam's "Change Numbers", which is an catch all for patches, uploaded builds, reissued builds, and so forth. Further, the reissues happen periodically, which is essentially continental drift applied to numbers - slowly but surely, things become increasingly inaccurate.

I have been trying to read the history and try to spot patches, but no luck for things that don't receive official patch notes through Steam. For some games like DOTA 2, the patches can be seen.

Steam DB - DOTA 2

I don't have the ability to help any further than this. I assume the SteamDB developers are the best people to ask, but I suspect that they didn't have much luck. :(
Sabin_Stargem: I don't have the ability to help any further than this. I assume the SteamDB developers are the best people to ask, but I suspect that they didn't have much luck. :(
I looked at it a bit myself and it indeed doesn't look promising. Neither Steam nor SteamDB (from both of which MaGog already obtains some information on a semi-regular basis) have the version number available in a useful format.

For now, my suggestion to you is to refer to fronzelneekburm's "second class citizens" gogmix data, which is already available on MaGog (in the Gogmixopedia row) to warn you about particularly bad offenders.
Post edited December 16, 2017 by mrkgnao
Sabin_Stargem: I don't have the ability to help any further than this. I assume the SteamDB developers are the best people to ask, but I suspect that they didn't have much luck. :(
mrkgnao: I looked at it a bit myself and it indeed doesn't look promising. Neither Steam nor SteamDB (from both of which MaGog already obtains some information on a semi-regular basis) have the version number available in a useful format.

For now, my suggestion to you is to refer to fronzelneekburm's "second class citizens" gogmix data, which is already available on MaGog (in the Gogmixopedia row) to warn you about particularly bad offenders.
Perhaps some kind of "Caution: The copy of this game on Steam has been updated X weeks more recently than the GOG release" message?

While not perfect, that should require less data correlation.
high rated
mrkgnao: I looked at it a bit myself and it indeed doesn't look promising. Neither Steam nor SteamDB (from both of which MaGog already obtains some information on a semi-regular basis) have the version number available in a useful format.

ssokolow: Perhaps some kind of "Caution: The copy of this game on Steam has been updated X weeks more recently than the GOG release" message?

Just comparing dates is of little use, I think. GOG often updates installers without changing the games' actual contents (tens of games have undergone this treatment quite recently). Presumably, Steam does the same, so it'd be more noise than data, IMO.
ssokolow: Perhaps some kind of "Caution: The copy of this game on Steam has been updated X weeks more recently than the GOG release" message?

mrkgnao: Just comparing dates is of little use, I think. GOG often updates installers without changing the games' actual contents (tens of games have undergone this treatment quite recently). Presumably, Steam does the same, so it'd be more noise than data, IMO.
GOG generally doesn't release a changelog when such an update happens. I'd think Steam would be even more likely to do the same, given their update model. Would it be possible to compare the "most recent publishing of a changelog" dates?
high rated
mrkgnao: Just comparing dates is of little use, I think. GOG often updates installers without changing the games' actual contents (tens of games have undergone this treatment quite recently). Presumably, Steam does the same, so it'd be more noise than data, IMO.
ssokolow: GOG generally doesn't release a changelog when such an update happens. I'd think Steam would be even more likely to do the same, given their update model. Would it be possible to compare the "most recent publishing of a changelog" dates?
The former assumption is incorrect. All (or most) of the latest installer updates had a changelog entry reading "- Installer maintenance update - No game files were changed". And expecting GOG to be consistent in this either way is of course nonsense.

Additionally, the only method I know do detect when a changelog is pushed on GOG is keeping a copy of the old one and comparing it to the current one every 6 hours, which is what MaGog does. That's not something I would be willing to do for Steam (just too much work to implement correctly). Is the latest changelog update date easily available somewhere on Steam without resorting to such manoeuvres?
Post edited December 18, 2017 by mrkgnao