It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

langurmonkey: No, I'm not saying people who pay monthly for an internet connection can't afford games. And in order to get one of those pay what you want indie bundles, you need a credit card or a paypal account of etc. You can't just search your couch for some quarters, some dimes and buy one of those pay what you want indie bundles.
Neobr10: Well, i have 2 credit cards myself and i don't pay any kind of fee for them. It isn't really that hard to get an international credit card where i live, and that's a 3rd world country (banks usually give you one if you open a bank account). Again i don't agree with you.
Well the way things work in Brazil is the way things work in Brazil. Here, I believe you need good credit to get yourself a credit card and probably a bank account because how else can you pay back the credit card company. I don't think you can pay back the credit card company with cash or money orders or Western Union. If you are thinking, how the hell can someone not have a bank account and good credit? Then obviously, you don't know what it is like to be at the bottom, to live a totally fucked up life due to bad decisions etc. Are there banks in the USA that let you open accounts without having to pay anything and give you a debit card for free when you have no job? I don't know. If there are, then you win, I guess and I take back some of my words. I'm very ignorant when it comes to bank accounts.
Post edited November 05, 2012 by langurmonkey
langurmonkey: I'm very ignorant when it comes to bank accounts.
Me too, what i know is from personal experience. I did open a bank account once without any credit at all for a fee of around 1 dollar per month to keep it. And i got a free international credit card for that account.

Anyway, there are few services that give you a "virtual" credit card, which can be used for online purchases (but not physical purchases, since you don't get a real credit card, just the card's data). These services usually accept many payment options. One example of that is Entropay. So, yeah, it's possible to have an international credit card without opening a bank account.

Now back to the original subject we were discussing, i could point quite a few beggars here on the forum who have a big collection and don't really need more games. Of course i will not name them, but if you pay attention to the forum you will notice it. I think that this is really disgusting. Unfortunately, some users here take advantage of this generous community to get beg for stuff that they don't even need. I guess this is the consequence of having such a generous community.
Post edited November 05, 2012 by Neobr10
langurmonkey: Well the way things work in Brazil is the way things work in Brazil. Here, I believe you need good credit to get yourself a credit card and probably a bank account because how else can you pay back the credit card company. I don't think you can pay back the credit card company with cash or money orders or Western Union. If you are thinking, how the hell can someone not have a bank account and good credit? Then obviously, you don't know what it is like to be at the bottom, to live a totally fucked up life due to bad decisions etc. Are there banks in the USA that let you open accounts without having to pay anything and give you a debit card for free when you have no job? I don't know. If there are, then you win, I guess and I take back some of my words. I'm very ignorant when it comes to bank accounts.
Here in the UK at least, you don't need a credit card to buy things online, a debit card is just fine (never had or wanted a credit card in my life). You get a debit card with pretty much any current account and credit rating doesn't come into it (AFAIK) since you're not borrowing money, so it's not hard to get one here.
langurmonkey: Well the way things work in Brazil is the way things work in Brazil. Here, I believe you need good credit to get yourself a credit card and probably a bank account because how else can you pay back the credit card company. I don't think you can pay back the credit card company with cash or money orders or Western Union. If you are thinking, how the hell can someone not have a bank account and good credit? Then obviously, you don't know what it is like to be at the bottom, to live a totally fucked up life due to bad decisions etc. Are there banks in the USA that let you open accounts without having to pay anything and give you a debit card for free when you have no job? I don't know. If there are, then you win, I guess and I take back some of my words. I'm very ignorant when it comes to bank accounts.
SirPrimalform: Here in the UK at least, you don't need a credit card to buy things online, a debit card is just fine (never had or wanted a credit card in my life). You get a debit card with pretty much any current account and credit rating doesn't come into it (AFAIK) since you're not borrowing money, so it's not hard to get one here.
You can buy stuff online with a debit card from here too but can someone who can't afford a GOG(because he or she has no money), be able to open a bank account with no job(no money coming anytime soon) in the UK?
Post edited November 05, 2012 by langurmonkey
langurmonkey: You can buy stuff online with a debit card from here too but can someone who can't afford a GOG(because he or she has no money), be able to open a bank account with no job(no money coming anytime soon) in the UK?
You can use Entropay even without a bank account or a job.
rampancy: That's pretty much why I won't do a straight-up "here's the code" giveaway. Up until now I've made the barrier to entry pretty trivial, as it is with most user-made contests, but given what I've read here I'll likely return to what I did with my System Shock 2 giveaway and make people do certain tasks, like giving to a charity, to enter.
Yes, that System Shock 2 giveaway was awesome, i entered it back then.
langurmonkey: You can buy stuff online with a debit card from here too but can someone who can't afford a GOG(because he or she has no money), be able to open a bank account with no job(no money coming anytime soon) in the UK?
Neobr10: You can use Entropay even without a bank account or a job.
So you can get an Entropay card without spending more than a pound? And can you put a pound or less into the card?
langurmonkey: You can buy stuff online with a debit card from here too but can someone who can't afford a GOG(because they have no money), be able to open a bank account with no job in the UK?
Not if you have no money at all, I don't think so. I just meant if you have some money and a bank account then a credit card is not necessarily required.

I was mostly replying to this:
langurmonkey: No, I'm not saying people who pay monthly for an internet connection can't afford games. And in order to get one of those pay what you want indie bundles, you need a credit card or a paypal account of etc. You can't just search your couch for some quarters, some dimes and buy one of those pay what you want indie bundles.
Neobr10: You can use Entropay even without a bank account or a job.
langurmonkey: So you can get an Entropay card without spending more than a pound? And can you put a pound or less into the card?
Well, when i used it a few years ago the minimum amount you could put into the card was 10 dollars. I don't know if it has changed. Of course they charge a fee (i think it's 4% or something like that), so this is only a viable option if you really don't have a credit card, or if you don't want to use your real card for security reasons.
If everyone uses the google syntax
<username> site:gog.com
The spoofers of trusted accounts would be clearly identifiable. As a precaution, highlight and copy username text to catch any punctuation nuances, etc. I saw a form of this mentioned earlier in thread and thought it worthy enough to repeat and add to.
QC: Either way let's just move on for now. If more problems happen it's proof enough not to take him at his word, if there there aren't problems then good, we can stop the witch hunt and relax for a change, and the future's going to depend on how he acts more than what he says, so no amount of discussion from this point on will really change what happens other than the lingering suspicions.
Speaking to the guy first hand and trying to reason with him is hardly a witch hunt.
I'm with Neobr10 on this one, with few remarks:

My computer nowadays can be found for ~100Eur, without monitor and peripherals. Still, I have no issues running even the newest games. Not in full HD with all effects, but most of them work properly in HD (1280x720) with medium settings. Oh, and I can live with ~25 FPS.

You can't get credit/debit card if you are underage. Not sure about prepaid ones. But, if you are not, you can get debit one for next to nothing, at least here. I got mine with 0 maintenance costs until I'm 25. Teenage account FTW :P

Internet is dirt cheap (at least here), and even if you can't afford it, chances are you can find unlocked wi-fi network or go to library to use it.

______

Oh, and about the beggars, I think it's better to just go and torrent damn thing. Contests? Yes. Ninja thread? Yes. Begging? No.
Hey, cool! I am going to steal your money. Then I will return, say I am sorry, dont repay my theft in any way and will expect that you just accept me and forgive me.
It seems it might work.

Or even better. I will kidnap some of your relative, then come back to apologise but won't return them. It should be OK, right?
Vitek: Or even better. I will kidnap some of your relative, then come back to apologise but won't return them. It should be OK, right?
*Insert mother-in-law joke*
IronStar: Internet is dirt cheap (at least here), and even if you can't afford it, chances are you can find unlocked wi-fi network or go to library to use it.

______

Oh, and about the beggars, I think it's better to just go and torrent damn thing. Contests? Yes. Ninja thread? Yes. Begging? No.
Dirt cheap? Maybe in the last several months and with select cable providers but going the DSL route will still cost you big time. :(

Totaly agree about begzors - either earn 5$ a month for a random old game, pray to lady luck in many contests or simply ask your parents to buy them for you. If you can't do anything like this don't game. Since you can afford net costs and hardware I think games on sales for 2,5$ are well within your reach.
Vitek: Hey, cool! I am going to steal your money. Then I will return, say I am sorry, dont repay my theft in any way and will expect that you just accept me and forgive me.
It seems it might work.

Or even better. I will kidnap some of your relative, then come back to apologise but won't return them. It should be OK, right?
It's not forgive and forget. I was just trying to understand what on earth the guy was up to, and see if he had any remorse for what he did.

If he somehow was able to change his ways and redeem himself it would be fantastic.