It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wakamelon: I just had to.
Unleash the aphids!!!!
Just a last question: why should gifting have more rules than trading?

In both cases we're not the owners anymore, but only the latter is a real transaction with possible obligations\requirements (unless the gift has strings attached lol).

We usually get more pissed off about the gift because we feel betrayed for our generosity, but even a fair trade ending in a bad deal feels like a scam! (expecially if you also care about the exchanged goods).

If others don't have problems it's fine, but frankly I don't want to trade with resellers.
I'll try to remember to state it every time, even if for me it should be implicit here on GoG.

EDIT: oh.. I didn't see that the topic had deviated to sexy fruits lol O_o
Post edited October 13, 2014 by phaolo
Momo1991: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/fruit-vegetable-difference/bgp-20056141

Fruits are the part of a plant that contain the material necessary to reproduce the plant. Vegetables are the part of the plant that do not reproduce the plant. Culinary rules are different - fruits are designated as sweet while vegetables are designated as savory.
What they're saying there is basically the same thing I am saying, so it's curious that you seem to be using it as a counterpoint.

EDITED for clarity.
Post edited October 19, 2014 by OneFiercePuppy
We can get into the semantics.

It's pretty clear that a gift is by default expected to be used by the recipient, not to be retraded for a "better" game. Almost everyone agrees with this (although I have run across people in the past who think otherwise).

There is still debate on traded games. Clearly some traders have the expectation that the recipient wants the game for themselves.

The muddy situation we have here, and what sparked this topic, is someone who has traded for a game publicly, and then shortly thereafter is seen asking for the same game as a gift. This person just did own the game after the trade. Could have kept that game for himself. He did not. And that a few days later is asking for the same game as a gift.

It smells of scammer in many cases. But are there exceptions?

I think it's poor etiquette for sure. Most people are gifting games based on the recipient's desire for the game for themselves and when it's clear the recipient had the game previously, that desire comes into question.

That said, it's also clear people may make poor choices. I feel it was wrong of Apehater to ask for that gift after the trade. The next question is whether this was a one-time event? If it is, this is not a scammer.

At one point in one of my giveaways, I ran across someone who thought it was ok to do with the gift whatever he wanted, before he actually traded the game (I had noticed the code unredeemed and PM'd him about it), the facts became clear. We discussed it and he "gave the code back" or more accurately chose not to use it.

The next question is what does it take for someone to prove themselves enough to leave the list?

I'm a little torn. I know Apehater has been gifting games since that time. I have not seen him repeat the prior transgression. But that said, calling someone out for a seemingly legitimate complaint is in poor form as well.

Just some food for thought...
RWarehall: [...]

Just some food for thought...
Did someone say food?
Momo1991: Guys! Let's keep this thread about scammers, ok?

My considered opinion is that if you trade a game you own for a game you want, or if you trade a game you own for a game you plan to gift or trade elsewhere, what is the difference? It's a barter exchange - once the two parties agree to the exchange, neither has a right to tell the other person what to do with the merchandise....
This.

Trading is not gifting. Once you traded something away, it's not up to you to decide what happens with it any longer. The new owner can do with it whatever he/she wants.
Anyone here ever dealt with "smasherdevourer"?
Klumpen0815: Anyone here ever dealt with "smasherdevourer"?
Doubtful: http://www.gog.com/forum/general?search=smasherdevourer
phaolo: Just a last question: why should gifting have more rules than trading?

In both cases we're not the owners anymore, but only the latter is a real transaction with possible obligations\requirements (unless the gift has strings attached lol).
It's the opposite, actually. Trading doesn't have strings attached; you're supposed to trade useless codes for games you actually want and come out ahead. If you just traded Witcher 1 for La-Mulana, good for you. If your trade partner subsequently managed to trade your Witcher 1 for Wasteland 2 Deluxe, good for them.

Gifts on the other hand typically presume that (1) the person actually wants to play the game they are asking for and/or (2) can't afford it. Look at the begging thread for examples. People who give gifts might want to
- promote love of their favorite games,
- reward interest in their favorite games,
- talk impreshunz with a new player,
- or just support a person in need (I'd pirate, but for other people having to pirate a game when they normally wouldn't just rubs their poverty in their face, basically the online equivalent to dirty looks from a walmart cashier when redeeming foodstamps).

These people might reasonably consider that if the recipient traded the gift away, they got it under false pretenses of actually wanting to play it (and basically were asking for cash), and if they traded a game away and currently asking for the same game as a gift, they are currently trying to get it under false pretenses of actually wanting to play.
I feel sick to the stomach, I've been scammed by GOG user justaquickie out of 7 games.

I can't believe I didn't use the search button before hand.
Post edited October 19, 2014 by HeadphonesON
HeadphonesON: I feel sick to the stomach, I've been scammed by GOG user justaquickie out of 7 games.

I can't believe I didn't use the search button before hand.
That is very unfortunate but because of people like justaquickie, everyone trading should always keep an eye on this thread to avoid being exploited.
mrmarioanonym:
Please put this link at the top of your post prominently: http://www.gogwiki.com/wiki/Known_Scammers as the list you have currently is not as comprehensive or complete, thanks.
stg83: That is very unfortunate but because of people like justaquickie, everyone trading should always keep an eye on this thread to avoid being exploited.
I hope no one else get's scammed by him.
HeadphonesON: I hope no one else get's scammed by him.
It really annoys me that he managed to scam people even after he was outed, I guess people just have to trade with trusted folks on GOG to be on the safe side.
Post edited October 19, 2014 by stg83
stg83: It really annoys me that he managed to scam people even after he was outed, I guess people just have to trade with trusted folks on GOG to be on the safe side.
He managed to take advantage of the "lower rep sends first" rule and isn't the first time he's doing this.
Post edited October 19, 2014 by Grargar
Grargar: He managed to take advantage of the "lower rep sends first" rule and isn't the first time he's doing this.
Yeah I know, but I just meant in the sense that a lot of people weren't aware that justaquickie was a known scammer here which he took advantage of as well. I think new folks should read the OP in the trade thread before commencing trading on the forum to avoid being scammed by a user with the arbitrary higher rep number.