It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Timboli: For starters, he doesn't say Linux might be better or that he thinks it is personally. He claims definitively that it is without any facts to back that up.
That's not even a little bit of an agenda. I'm not sure you know what the word means. Does he have some ulterior nefarious motive for advertising Linux as the best OS? Like he's trying to get people to migrate and then donate to his Patreon for some utility on github? For example.

Stating something like that A is better than B in an argument is not an indication of an 'agenda'. Try again.

And I'm sure if you asked or wanted to actually continue the discussion instead of attacking him and insulting him, you might find out about why is Linux better than Windows, i.e. his 'facts'. He already mentioned some.

rojimboo: 1. "Reality is, it's subjective"

OR

2. "Facts will show you "

Pick one.
Timboli: Actually it is both, depending on what you are talking about.
I think you're confused.

If something is subjectively determined and influenced by eg. tastes or preferences or factors that are individual and personal, then you can't in the same vein claim definitively that 'facts will definitively show that A is better than B for all/the majority'. It's a contradiction, one of many used in your argumentation.

I think you got your signals mixed up there, buddy, and now that you're incredibly defensive you can't admit to it. That's ok, this is after all an internet discussion between anonymous strangers trying to score points and grow their e-peen. Really important stuff. /s

Timboli: Yeah right, I call nonsense when I read it.
Actually, it's more like you 'call' an agenda everywhere you think you see it, for no reason.

Timboli: Please show us these slurs you talk of.
There were plenty in our previous discussion, if you want me to dig them up, I can. But in this discussion alone so far, you've managed already a few. You've called someone in a video gaming forum a 'close-minded zealot blinded by an agenda' and implied he is arguing in bad faith. About an operating system discussion. Might wanna tone it down a notch there mate.

"you are quite clearly a Linux zealot, no doubt in my mind about that at all.
Luckily, when replying to you, I was really replying for the sake of others who are a bit more open-minded and not blinded by a Linux agenda like you are."

That is a personal attack with no place in a discussion, just because you felt like saying it as if you couldn't argue properly otherwise. If anything, it inhibits discussion and is just plain rude, but whatever floats your boat dude, if you think it makes your case stronger. *Spoiler alert* it doesn't.

Timboli: If he isn't a Zealot, then what is he?
He qualifies every which way I look at it.
What extra would he need to be, to be a Zealot?
What makes him qualify as a zealot? You're the one making the claim. Is he religiously fanatical? Is he spreading the evangelical message that Linux is better, trying to convince people pointing to a book of dogmatic beliefs that definitively allegedly prove his case?

Or has he become convinced that Linux is better than Windows through years of close interaction with both products, and he knows what he's talking about? I.e. he has all the facts with him and has decided on one side? How does that make him a fanatical zealot?

Call him a realist if you have to call him something. And oh look! It's not a slur.

It's worth noting vv221 can easily defend himself and I have no vested interest in defending a random forum goer. Other than disliking the way you argue and attack others yet again for differing opinions or argumentation, Timboli.

Timboli: I don't claim that Linux isn't better. I leave it up to what is right for the individual.
I'm open, he isn't
If only we had the ability to quote people to prove what they're saying is rubbish...oh wait!

Here is you claiming that facts show Linux is worse for the majority:
"I wish Linux was better than Windows, I honestly do ... and for some people it is ... however, not the majority, as the facts will show you."

Which facts are those? Nobody knows. Almost as if you 'qualified' to being a zealot according to your own (dubious) criteria.

Timboli: Calling someone a zealot is not the same as calling them an idiot or a fool ... doing so would be using a slur.
At worst I am saying his enthusiasm and bias for Linux is misleading and blinding him to other factors.

Some happily admit to being a zealot.
Ah yes, clearly you didn't intend it as an insult. After all, some choose to be zealots, so it can't be a wholly negative thing. Wow dude. Who buys this drivel? This is such feeble argumentation I'm surprised you even said it. THen again, par on course for you Timboli.

You should take a step back and realise how you come across in a sensible discussion about the pros and cons of operating systems in a vidya gaming forum. It's not pretty, due to your rampant accusations of an imaginary 'agenda' and being a close-minded zealot when stating A is better than B due to facts that people can happily go into.

But who wants to talk to you now??
dtgreene: Windows is not for everyone, either. (Neither is MacOS, for that matter.)
Yes, that was sort of my point. Not everyone is equipped to fix Windows when it breaks or troubleshoot it. Same as on Linux. For those people, the experience they have gained from years of forced usage of Windows will be the deciding factor for operating system choice. Note, that there are plenty of people this does not apply to. And I'm sort of tired of hearing the 'a new OS involves too much learning!' argument. Look at how many migrated to Mac OSx from Windows and didn't choke and die horribly.

dtgreene: There are some pieces of software, like LaTeX, Python, and R, that tend to be better supported on Linux than on Windows. It's unlikely that you will find a Linux system without some version of Python installed, whereas on Windows systems with Python are a minority.
Maybe Python is installed through the main repos on Linux distros from the get go, but the actual Python workflow and support is pretty much the same as on Windows. Pip/Conda is identical, the IDEs like Pycharm are identical cross-platform, and pretty much everything else is the same on Windows vs Linux. Installing Anaconda or Miniconda and setting up environments is the same.

I don't really see any advantage LInux has in this instance (unfortunately haha ;) as much as I want it to). Maybe people used to commandline terminals are one thing Linux has more compared to Windows, which helps a bit I guess.
low rated
rojimboo: ..........
Mate, you are just talking out your ass ... good waffle.

Clearly you and logic are not good companions.

I don't think there has ever been a single thing that you have posted on this forum that I agree with, while I have had many agreements with other 'good' folk ... says it all really.

There are plenty here I disagree with at times, but get along fine with. I just have a finely tuned bullshit meter, that some like yourself trigger.

Enjoy your day.
Timboli: ....
Thanks for proving my point.

Keep insulting people. THat will work out great for you.
timppu: -A story-
I suppose it depends on how like COBOL, how willing you are to dedicate yourself to a cause that shouldn't exist. At least InfoBasic appears to be somewhat documented and known.
Sachys: Are you talking about something like ZoneAlarm's program control facet?
Cavalary: Also this.
So Firewall-Config not sufficient?
Post edited April 11, 2021 by Darvond
Orkhepaj: windows troubleshooting is harder ? :D
omg the ignorance of some is astonishing
The amount of times I've stared at the Event Log to no avail or the vague & cryptic fault errors at 5925:A3FF vs just being able to open journalctl and see exactly what system messages have occurred since boot, including faults that are syntax highlighted has really made me jaded towards Windows Troubleshooting.
Cavalary: Since this became quite a detailed discussion, I'll take the opportunity to ask again the first thing I keep asking when it comes to Linux, especially now that the time when I'll need to get a better computer and put a new OS on it gets ever closer, sadly, and Win 10 is obviously not an option: Is there a Linux firewall that allows real-time control and monitoring of outgoing connections, with PROMPTS and the ability to not necessarily create rules?
Have you tried OpenSnitch or Douane?

https://github.com/evilsocket/opensnitch

https://douaneapp.com/

They are application level firewalls with prompts, that might suit your needs.
Darvond: The amount of times I've stared at the Event Log to no avail or the vague & cryptic fault errors at 5925:A3FF vs just being able to open journalctl and see exactly what system messages have occurred since boot, including faults that are syntax highlighted has really made me jaded towards Windows Troubleshooting.
But...but there is no need to worry, Windows will take care of everything for you, there is no need to troubleshoot yourself. From updates to errors and everything in between. Just click report and Microsoft will handle it.
Trust Windows 10 (see attachment)

Oh well, can't attach images apparently.
Post edited April 11, 2021 by patrikc
If a game has Linux compatibility, is the compatibility only for a certain version of Linux like Mint or Ubuntu or whatever? Or is it compatible with any version?

What version is best for people who want to play lots of video games?
temps: If a game has Linux compatibility, is the compatibility only for a certain version of Linux like Mint or Ubuntu or whatever? Or is it compatible with any version?

What version is best for people who want to play lots of video games?
1. Technically yes, provided the distro meets the requirements. My guess is many games are being tested on Ubuntu itself or Ubuntu-based distributions. For example, if you're to check the system requirements for Pillars of Eternity II you will see this as recommended:
System:
Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04, 64-bit or newer
But that's just GOGs choice, since Ubuntu is popular.

2. By version you mean distribution, right? There are several out there that can handle gaming well enough. Seems nowadays Pop OS is very popular when it comes to this, seeing as it has support out of the box. System 76 (the developer of Pop OS) actually offers an ISO specifically targeted at Nvidia hardware.
Manjaro is a good option as well, different though, since it is Arch-based. Some see it as rather unstable (due to its nature, being a rolling release), others are happy with it (bleeding edge, AUR, etc).
Salient OS (also Arch-based) comes up as recommended as well, although I'd take that with a grain of salt.
Garuda Linux (again, Arch-based) is getting a lot of attention lately.
Do keep in mind that there are many other options out there, I've just named a few.
As long as you have the hardware and the proper drivers, you can game on many distributions, regardless of their base.
Post edited April 11, 2021 by patrikc
temps: If a game has Linux compatibility, is the compatibility only for a certain version of Linux like Mint or Ubuntu or whatever? Or is it compatible with any version?
It's guaranteed to work with that version of Ubuntu / Mint by gog, so you can get support when it doesn't for any reason. On other distros, you have a very decent chance that the game will work out of the box, but might also run into compatibility problems with required libraries - those tend to be easy enough to solve when you have experience with it and know how to determine which libraries you'll need and how to install them, but they do provide a hurdle for people new to Linux, and might make it all just a bit overwhelming at first.

So, if you don't consider yourself very tech-literate and/or don't care to spend a lot of time getting up to speed, and just want to play games, then one of the Ubuntu flavours - or at least a related offshoot from the Debian-tree - would be your best bet.
gogtrial34987: It's guaranteed to work with that version of Ubuntu / Mint by gog, so you can get support when it doesn't for any reason.
While Mint is an Ubuntu-derivative, I am not certain GOG supports Mint.

At least when I opened a ticket towards GOG for Two World Epic Edition not working in Linux Mint 19.x (which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.x ie. Bionic Beaver, as far as I know), they outright said that my Linux version is not among the supported Linux releases.

However, they still tried to offer some generic help and suggestions, how to possibly get it to work. Then again, as far as I understood from others, there was a dependency clash in the GOG version of the game, so it wouldn't work on even the supported Ubuntu versions. None of the workarounds suggested worked for me either.

Then again, I got the Windows version run satisfactorily in WINE, which is fine I guess as the "Linux version" that GOG was offering was still merely the Windows version running in WINE.

I personally would still choose Linux Mint over Ubuntu, as I have some doubts over the motives of the Ubuntu creators (Canonical), as if they want to be the Microsoft of the Linux world. I guess that is why the Mint creators are also making a separate Debian-based Linux Mint, as a Plan B if Canonical does something overly stupid with Ubuntu and Mint needs to switch over to being a derivative of something else (in this case, Debian).

And RedHat wants to be the IBM of the Linux wo... oh wait, they already are. Phuck them and their mothers too, for killing off CentOS 8. Maybe I'll start looking more and more into (Open)SUSE at least at our work, maybe it is a good alternative to both Ubuntu and CentOS/RHEL...
Post edited April 11, 2021 by timppu
Sachys:
rojimboo:
Had heard of both, but saw that OpenSnitch is no longer under active development, and Douane has a highlighted warning right on the front page saying "unfortunately the project is suffering of a kernel freeze bug that can break your machine!"
Frankly at a glance I don't even understand what that wants from me...
gogtrial34987: It's guaranteed to work with that version of Ubuntu / Mint by gog, so you can get support when it doesn't for any reason.
timppu: While Mint is an Ubuntu-derivative, I am not certain GOG supports Mint.
There was a time in which Mint was explicitly mentioned on some game pages. You can still see a vestige of this, in that searching all games, filtered on OS, the URL will contain system=lin_mint,lin_ubuntu. But yes, it appears that support currently only exists for Ubuntu itself.
timppu: While Mint is an Ubuntu-derivative, I am not certain GOG supports Mint.
gogtrial34987: There was a time in which Mint was explicitly mentioned on some game pages. You can still see a vestige of this, in that searching all games, filtered on OS, the URL will contain system=lin_mint,lin_ubuntu. But yes, it appears that support currently only exists for Ubuntu itself.
Well, that's rotten. Was sure it was Ubuntu and Mint too, and it definitely was like that when they started out with Linux support, clearly specified.
Post edited April 11, 2021 by Cavalary