It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

timppu: sudo ls -laShR / | more
dtgreene: Why "more" rather than "less"?
Because sometimes less is more.

I guess it is just an old habit for me to always use more...

Now that I got to try that on Linux, I guess it works sort of ok, but it lists all the files in the size order, one directory at a time. And if you are not merely looking for big files but also subdirectories with lots of files (like if a temp directory contained millions of tiny files, still taking lots of space for no good reason), du -hs * is better for that.
Post edited April 11, 2021 by timppu
dtgreene: On Linux, there's also ncdu, which is extremely handy for this purpose (and it runs in a terminal, so you can use it over ssh if needed).
Thanks, that does indeed seem quite handy, even if it needs to be installed separately (doesn't seem to come installed by default at least in Mint).
dtgreene: On Linux, there's also ncdu, which is extremely handy for this purpose (and it runs in a terminal, so you can use it over ssh if needed).
timppu: Thanks, that does indeed seem quite handy, even if it needs to be installed separately (doesn't seem to come installed by default at least in Mint).
ncdu is so useful that it is one of the first tools I install on any new computer, alongside htop and a full vim ;)
Post edited April 11, 2021 by vv221
timppu: Thanks, that does indeed seem quite handy, even if it needs to be installed separately (doesn't seem to come installed by default at least in Mint).
It's not installed be default, but it's so handy that I install it on every system I own that I have a need to check free space on, and installing it is really easy thanks to package managers (on debian it's as easy as "apt install ncdu"; non-apt based systems need a different command, but it's usually just as easy).

(Exception being ephemeral VMs, where nothing is saved on shutdown, but there's occasion where I'll install it even then.)
Since this became quite a detailed discussion, I'll take the opportunity to ask again the first thing I keep asking when it comes to Linux, especially now that the time when I'll need to get a better computer and put a new OS on it gets ever closer, sadly, and Win 10 is obviously not an option: Is there a Linux firewall that allows real-time control and monitoring of outgoing connections, with PROMPTS and the ability to not necessarily create rules?
I mean, tried Mint some years ago and quite liked it in other ways, but for those few weeks felt extremely anxious to use pretty much anything on my computer because of the absence of this. Then again, couldn't even get a full stealth rating on ShieldsUP (computer being connected directly) since it said it was still responding to pings even though I had used the command a quick search had told me to use to stop that from happening, and I'd think that full stealth should be a given for a home computer not intended to accept incoming connections, but what I'm referring to is something dealing with outgoing connections, that comes with presets that allow the OS to function normally right out of the box (but which can still be altered at will of course), but otherwise will PROMPT whenever a program attempts a(n outgoing) connection not covered by an existing rule, allowing me to allow or deny it on the spot and NOT NECESSARILY MAKING THAT ANSWER A RULE, so allowing me to create a rule on the spot as well if I so choose, and in that case also select the rule scope, as in applying to any connection by that program, or only to that destination, or open a customizer allowing for more advanced settings, but also allowing me to say that just that connection attempt should be allowed or denied, and when another one is made I should be prompted again. Obviously, this is something that any rule-based firewall, however detailed and customizable, can't be capable of, since the prompts are what notify you of attempts in real time and, by definition, you can't create a rule to not create a rule. AND this should also stand on its own, not only be available as part of some complex security suite that will require its other modules to also be active.
And please skip the "you don't need that on Linux" speech. I do and won't use a computer without that.
If only that would be readily and easily available, and certain to keep being supported and function properly, I'd feel quite comfortable diving right in (well, inasmuch as I can ever feel comfortable with such a change... so more like not deathly paralyzed with anxiety and certain of doom and gloom, but anyway)... So, has something like that cropped up?
Post edited April 11, 2021 by Cavalary
Cavalary:
Are you talking about something like ZoneAlarm's program control facet?
temps: Seems like Linux is kinda popular on GOG and I've been thinking about moving to Linux at some point in the future, so I'm just wondering what you guys think of Linux. Is it just as good as Windows? If yes, why is Linux adoption so low despite Linux being free?

Can you guys still play most of your games made-for-windows on Linux without issue?
Short answer, Windows is better than Linux for most users.

Long answer: it's complicated.

Windows is more prevalent, and generally more user friendly. If you want something that just works out the box, Windows is GREAT. Most of the time. It comes with caveats, though. Windows is making accessing advanced features more complicated, and going through great lengths to limit users some functions. They do a lot of this in the name of security,, but it has the added benefit (for M$) of also giving them more control. Most problems with MS Windows can be circumvented if you are concerned about them, but then you have to get into some fairly technically advanced procedures involving some dangerous command line editing and registry manipulation (or group policy manipulation) which can break features or expose you to serious security risks. The largest market share is why Windows is such a target for malware. Linux is not nearly as likely to be attacked by a virus or other malware simply because so few users are out there.

Linux is free. Free as in free beer. But also free as in free speech. Is it community supported, and open source. This adds security because anyone can audit the code to ensure security risks are stomped out when added, and also that intentionally risky additions can be removed (or never added to begin with). Linux setup can be more complicated, depending on distribution and build. But once you get it going it is very good. There are some apps/programs that will require even more extensive setup, and some will simply refuse to work at all. Unix is a very good but basic operating system that Linux was based on, and like Unix, Linux excels at workstation functions based on that. Linux can take advantage of processing and infrastructure to work better at crunching numbers, making spread sheets, and processing video. With WINE, most Windows games will work with some setup. Some have performance issues or graphical anomalies when run.

Ultimately, your needs dictate which is actually better. I use both, but I prefer Win 10 for most things. Having a Linux Mint build is very nice though and is almost Windows-like on the surface.

If you are a power user with technical skills to modify system settings through command line interfaces, then Linux is more likely to be for you since, while those skills will be useful for getting some features customized in Windows 10, Linux starts in a better place than Windows when it comes to modifying it. You're not undoing someone else's choices so often as you are just adding your own preferences.

If you are a basic user with little care for how much telemetry Windows captures on you, or that some slight annoyances may be difficult to disable, then use Windows. It is already set up for the most part, and most of those annoyances are little and easily ignored for most users.
Post edited April 11, 2021 by paladin181
Cavalary:
Sachys: Are you talking about something like ZoneAlarm's program control facet?
Never used ZoneAlarm, but probably? Using Comodo Firewall, so something like this.
Sachys: Are you talking about something like ZoneAlarm's program control facet?
Cavalary: Never used ZoneAlarm, but probably? Using Comodo Firewall, so something like this.
Yeah I've not yet found anything similar sadly - but then my use of Linux thus far isnt extensive.
Cavalary:
Having just had a look, this is the nearest thing I can find to the "program control" of ZA. Might be worth a look?

https://github.com/evilsocket/opensnitch
low rated
rojimboo: What's his Linux agenda, pray tell?
For starters, he doesn't say Linux might be better or that he thinks it is personally. He claims definitively that it is without any facts to back that up.

rojimboo: 1. "Reality is, it's subjective"

OR

2. "Facts will show you "

Pick one.
Actually it is both, depending on what you are talking about.

vv221: Sure, as usual listing Linux qualities is being a religious zealot blinded by subjectivity, but pretending Windows is better is being well grounded in reality.
rojimboo: Best to ignore his insults - Timboli has a history of attacking and using slurs against people who disagree with him.
Yeah right, I call nonsense when I read it.

Please show us these slurs you talk of.

If he isn't a Zealot, then what is he?
He qualifies every which way I look at it.
What extra would he need to be, to be a Zealot?

I don't claim that Linux isn't better. I leave it up to what is right for the individual.
I'm open, he isn't ... clear emotional bias on his part.

Calling someone a zealot is not the same as calling them an idiot or a fool ... doing so would be using a slur.
At worst I am saying his enthusiasm and bias for Linux is misleading and blinding him to other factors.

Some happily admit to being a zealot.
dtgreene: The problem is that excludes legitimate use cases, like using this sort of scripting for accessibility reasons.

Perhaps they should have, instead of banning the whole topic, only ban the things that were actually issues.
Easier said than done.

After various attempts and much deliberation and discussion, it was decided that the only workable solution was a full ban ... they did not do that lightly. Those who run the show are gamers too, and have even created their own bots in the past, so they certainly do have some sympathy.

And yes, there are good user cases, especially for those with a disability. And why stop there. If you are a bit slower than someone and that is impacting your enjoyment of a game, then why not have some assistance.

There are many discussions at the AutoIt forum, both open and private about all the issues.

And no-one is penalized for helping someone privately ... some do I believe, especially if they can be convinced there is a dire need.

Many however adhere to the notion, that what you provide to someone may be shared, which you have no control over.

At the end of the day, the AutoIt Forum is about programming, and there is more than one way to skin a fish. We teach people how to fish, not do it for them. Too many, not just botters, come there wanting quick easy solutions, without bothering to do due diligence. If you are there for the right reason, to learn to code, we are perfectly happy to help you on your journey. There are various ways to get around the ban, but it ain't a quick solution and requires learning.

The AutoIt Forum is not a script-it-for-you kind of place ... not in the Help sections anyway ... though some can't help themselves when it comes to sharing or showing off their talent. And even in the Examples section, we don't create on demand, we just provide a wide variety that you can investigate or use.

dtgreene: (Also, if an online game can be easily ruined with bots, then perhaps the game itself is flawed.)
Mmmm that's a bit like trying to keep ahead of virus writers, a difficult ongoing task.
Post edited April 11, 2021 by Timboli
dtgreene: (Also, if an online game can be easily ruined with bots, then perhaps the game itself is flawed.)
Timboli: Mmmm that's a bit like trying to keep ahead of virus writers, a difficult ongoing task.
For client-server games, very often such situations are an issue of trusting the client too much.

If something should not be visible to the player, don't send that information to the player's client, for example.

Timboli: After various attempts and much deliberation and discussion, it was decided that the only workable solution was a full ban ... they did not do that lightly. Those who run the show are gamers too, and have even created their own bots in the past, so they certainly do have some sympathy.

And yes, there are good user cases, especially for those with a disability. And why stop there. If you are a bit slower than someone and that is impacting your enjoyment of a game, then why not have some assistance.
I would argue that the good uses outweigh the bad uses, when it comes to gaming.
Post edited April 11, 2021 by dtgreene
dtgreene: It's not installed be default, but it's so handy that I install it on every system I own that I have a need to check free space on, and installing it is really easy thanks to package managers (on debian it's as easy as "apt install ncdu"; non-apt based systems need a different command, but it's usually just as easy).
Yeah it is just that where I operate quite often, where I'd need it, are customers' servers, so of course there is a higher threshold to install anything there they haven't installed themselves or didn't come by default. But then that is a small utility. And naturally one could also uninstall it after use. :)
Darvond: I'm also going to admit that I've literally heard of AutoIt. But give that it's an offshoot of BASIC, I'm sure you could find something that would fit your macroing bill. (See attachment.)
Reminds me of my previous job where I was for awhile, it was a bank's IT department. The title I went there as was "Linux system administrator", but then they mentioned in the job interview it was maybe more about learning to administer their T24 core banking system with the rest of the team (not much to do with Linux (administration) per se, even if some tools were run in CentOS Linux).

What the work turned out to be mostly was programming in something called "InfoBASIC". I thought like "cool I guess, never heard of it but I presume it is something like BASIC I used in old home computers back in the day?". No it was nothing like that, no "GOTO <line>" or "GOSUB/RETURN" etc., but oh well, I started learning it (even though there seemed to be very little information online about the language) and even managed to become productive with it, being able to implement changes and feature requests to the core banking system that the business department wanted, even getting some praise for my work (because apparently I tended to clarify the business department's wishes more clearly so that they really got what they wanted (or sometimes even exceeding their wishes), unlike my predecessor who apparently was some consultant from abroad, maybe there was a communication break with him due to the language barrier or something...).

I thought back then "I wonder if learning this programming language helps me at all landing to any other job?", as I got an impression the language was developed by that core banking system developer, just for their system. Dunno, maybe the same system is used in some other banks too, but my next job was not in a bank so... I just now googled for "InfoBASIC" and the top results were questions in reddit "Is it worth it to learn this language?", just the question I had...
Post edited April 11, 2021 by timppu