It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Freedom of choice. Optional client. Cross-play. Coming soon to all gamers!

Earlier today (or was it yesterday for you?), during the [url=http://www.gog.com/news/cd_projekt_red_gogcom_summer_conference]CD Projekt RED and GOG.com’s Summer Conference we dropped the news about our next big step forward! GOG.com has always been home to more and more of the the best games in history (for Windows and Mac), both classic and new. Differing in shapes, flavors, and sizes they had one thing in common: they were mostly single-player, and our focus was mainly on the experience of a singular gamer. If that's your thing, nothing really will change. You can always enjoy your favorite games 100% DRM-free on GOG.com, with no need to activate your game online or remain connected to play your single-player title. Just like GOG.com has always been about.. But what if you want to play with your friends?

Today we are excited to announce GOG Galaxy, a truly gamer-friendly, 100% DRM-free online gaming platform that will finally provide the GOG.com community with the easy option to play together online. GOG Galaxy will allow you to share your achievements, stay in touch with your pals and get the updates for your games automatically. We've developed this technology to improve your GOG.com experience. We think GOG Galaxy really deserves your attention and we hope many of you will give it a try! But, here's the great thing: it is totally optional, so it's all up to you! If you do not want to play online, or use our optional client to access these features, then no worries, you will always be able to play the single-player mode 100% DRM-free, and download manually the latest updated version of your favorite title from our website. Now, for one more feature we call cross-play. We always believed in an open world for gamers, with no obligation to be tied to a specific platform or client; and this is why GOG Galaxy will allow gamers to play with their buddies who use Steam, without any need to use any 3rd party client or account, nothing, nada. We’re taking care of connecting GOG.com and Steam players, so just sit back, relax and give it a try.

See the outtake from the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference

Talking of which, we are proud to announce the soon-to-come launch of the beta phase for The Witcher Adventure Game, a faithful adaptation of the board game of the same title. It allows up to 4 players to play together, whether they use Steam or GOG.com. Cross-play at its finest! If you wanna get the chance to try it out, please visit and sign up to get in the queue for your beta access key. You can also simply take advantage of our amazing [url=http://www.gog.com/tw3]pre-order offer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which includes 2 beta access keys for he Witcher Aventure Game, delivered to you as soon as we start handing them out to public.

We believe GOG Galaxy has the power to provide the best of both worlds. Playing the single player mode of your favorite game, 100% DRM-free, while still having the OPTION to use our soon-to-come client for an enhanced experience (auto-patching, achievements, and much more) or play online with other GOG.com (and Steam) players if you so wish.

There will be more GOG Galaxy titles coming up this year, so stay tuned for more news and get the word around!
Post edited June 06, 2014 by G-Doc
GOG, i have idea for you - how about to somehow partner with Desura? Imho its would be nice for them to use such platform too....
I hope multiplayer isn't locked down behind GOG Galaxy and they still have LAN & direct IP-address connection options.
Redfern: GOG, i have idea for you - how about to somehow partner with Desura? Imho its would be nice for them to use such platform too....
i have these thoughts as well. A nice partnership might be had between GOG and Desura (+MobDB).
Nicole28: Judas, will Galaxy let us download the stand-a-lone installers without the client auto-installing for you, or is the only option to get the stand-a-lone installers through direct download from the GOG website?
JudasIscariot: I believe there should some settings that will allow you to configure Galaxy to work just the way you want to. I don't have a copy of the client on hand but knowing our devs I am sure they will include as many options as possible upon release and will take feedback from the community at large :)
I really hope so. I use the GOG Downloader as I'd rather not download gigabytes of data without an integrity check or resume feature. No offense, but I have no interest in the features of the client. I'm hoping I will be able to open the client, download the games I want, then quit the client just like how I use the Downloader now.

It would be disappointing if people who choose not to use the client would be relegated to using their browser's basic download functionality.
Good news!

While I am not a fan of auto-patching, GoG really needed a better "client" than the downloader, when you have a big collection is rather a shore to keep you games installer updated with it.

My only hope, like others have mentioned in this thread, is that the new client will not only keep installed games updated but also will keep downloaded installer/bonus updated, for example scanning a "download" folder and telling us which downloaded installer needs to be updated and which ones are up to date.
high rated
Kristian: But can't it be used in place of the downloader right now?
JudasIscariot: It's still being developed so as of right now, no :(
How about including a downloader function in the client?

Here my thoughts on how I would like this Galaxy client to do..

1) First of all, allow users to specify a directory specifically for downloading and storing game installation files.
Any game patch files should also be downloaded to the same location and organized using sub-directories.

2) When a user clicks on a game title to download or install the game, prompt the user the following choices:

a) Download and Install the game
b) Download installation files only

If the user choose to download and install the game, the client can go ahead and download installation files mentioned in (1) and proceed to install the game. After the game is installed, prompt the user if installation files can be deleted.

If the user choose to download installation files only, just download files but do not install the game.
The user should be able to install the game later without the need to re-download installation files.

If patches become available for any installed games or games which have installation files downloaded, display some kind of icon cue (e.g. update available) next to the game title.

If the user choose to "update" a game title, proceed to download and install the update for existing installed game or stored the patch installation files in the download directory so they would be available later if when the user choose to install the game plus patches.

I imagine games and patches downloaded will be stored in some directory structures like the followings:

C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Bonus
C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Main Install V1.00
C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Patch V1.01
C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Patch V1.02
C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Patch V2.00

If later a new version of installation files become available and can replace all prior installation files and incremental patches, the user should be able to download a new set of installation files and delete prior installation files

So later you will end up with the followings:

C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Main Install V3.00
C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Patch V3.01

The reason I would like to see installation and patch files stored this way is so that we can later choose to install the game and patches manually if we decide not to use Galaxy client. (I assume you will allow users to run installation files and patches manually without requiring the Galaxy client).

Finally, please provide bandwidth control so users can specify the appropriate download bandwidth for their Internet connection.
Please release it for Linux, and I'll start using it alongside (or instead) of Steam. You've already promised to expand onto Linux around this autumn, so I'm crossing my fingers to see Galaxy there as well.
I would like to know if Origin and Uplay multiplayer will also work through Galaxy.
Also, I'm very interested in learning more about GOG integrating Achievements into games. Will old games be updated to include them? Will I be able to acquire achievements ONLY when online?
I'm very excited about this. I'd also love an estimated arrival date for the service!
JudasIscariot: It's still being developed so as of right now, no :(
saiyan: How about including a downloader function in the client?

Here my thoughts on how I would like this Galaxy client to do..

1) First of all, allow users to specify a directory specifically for downloading and storing game installation files.
Any game patch files should also be downloaded to the same location and organized using sub-directories.

2) When a user clicks on a game title to download or install the game, prompt the user the following choices:

a) Download and Install the game
b) Download installation files only

If the user choose to download and install the game, the client can go ahead and download installation files mentioned in (1) and proceed to install the game. After the game is installed, prompt the user if installation files can be deleted.

If the user choose to download installation files only, just download files but do not install the game.
The user should be able to install the game later without the need to re-download installation files.

If patches become available for any installed games or games which have installation files downloaded, display some kind of icon cue (e.g. update available) next to the game title.

If the user choose to "update" a game title, proceed to download and install the update for existing installed game or stored the patch installation files in the download directory so they would be available later if when the user choose to install the game plus patches.

I imagine games and patches downloaded will be stored in some directory structures like the followings:

C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Main Install V1.00
C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Patch V1.01
C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Patch V1.02
C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Patch V2.00

If later a new version of installation files become available and can replace all prior installation files and incremental patches, the user should be able to download a new set of installation files and delete prior installation files

So later you will end up with the followings:

C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Main Install V3.00
C:\GOG\Download\Witcher 3\Patch V3.01

The reason I would like to see installation and patch files stored this way is so that we can later choose to install the game and patches manually if we decide not to use Galaxy client. (I assume you will allow users to run installation files and patches manually without requiring the Galaxy client).

Finally, please provide bandwidth control so users can specify the appropriate download bandwidth for their Internet connection.
Your best bet would be to sign up for the beta and give feedback while testing the Galaxy client :) Would you like me to post a link to the beta? I have posted it in this thread a couple of times but I can post it again if you'd like it :)
can i just have this now please? galaxy sounds AMAZING
JudasIscariot: Your best bet would be to sign up for the beta and give feedback while testing the Galaxy client :) Would you like me to post a link to the beta? I have posted it in this thread a couple of times but I can post it again if you'd like it :)
Just a question, if you bought (pre-order) Witcher 3 do you "automatically" sign for the beta of Galaxy or do you need to sign for it again ?
JudasIscariot: Your best bet would be to sign up for the beta and give feedback while testing the Galaxy client :) Would you like me to post a link to the beta? I have posted it in this thread a couple of times but I can post it again if you'd like it :)
Sure. Please post the link.
(This thread is quite long and I haven't had the time to read every posting).

Thank you.
Thegevin: I would like to know if Origin and Uplay multiplayer will also work through Galaxy.
Also, I'm very interested in learning more about GOG integrating Achievements into games. Will old games be updated to include them? Will I be able to acquire achievements ONLY when online?
I'm very excited about this. I'd also love an estimated arrival date for the service!
Regarding Origin/Uplay, Galaxy will allow you to play with your friends who have games on those services so if you buy a GIG version and they have a different one, your GOG version will be able to play with an Origin/Steam/Uplay version :)

As far as achievements go, I still don't have all the information regarding them, I recommend a wait-and-see approach or signing up for the beta :)
JudasIscariot: Regarding Origin/Uplay, Galaxy will allow you to play with your friends who have games on those services so if you buy a GIG version and they have a different one, your GOG version will be able to play with an Origin/Steam/Uplay version :)

As far as achievements go, I still don't have all the information regarding them, I recommend a wait-and-see approach or signing up for the beta :)
You're still not making it very clear I think but from the sound of it, as long as it uses Galaxy Matchmaking, you can cross-play between different services, no matter where you bought it.

So basically like a game that uses Steamworks can be played together even if one buys on Gamersgate and the other on Amazon. Or a GFWL game could be played if two people bought it on different services. Since all clients use Galaxy matchmaking, there's "cross-play".

That part makes sense. It's a new matchmaking service, obviously people who buy a game that uses that service will be able to play with eachother.

What about the people who are playing a non-Galaxy matchmaking game through the Galaxy client? One that doesn't use Galaxy for it's matchmaking but instead has Steamworks multiplayer, or some Uplay thing or etc?

Maybe that's the question you answered, but I felt it sounded confusing :)

Edit: Someone make my point clearer! :p
Post edited June 06, 2014 by Pheace
JudasIscariot: Regarding Origin/Uplay, Galaxy will allow you to play with your friends who have games on those services so if you buy a GIG version and they have a different one, your GOG version will be able to play with an Origin/Steam/Uplay version :)

Pheace: You're still not making it very clear I think but from the sound of it, as long as it uses Galaxy Matchmaking, you can cross-play between different services, no matter where you bought it.

So basically like a game that uses Steamworks can be played together even if you buy the game on Gamersgate. Or a GFWL game could be played if two people bought it on different services.

That part makes sense. It's a new matchmaking service, obviously people who buy a game that uses that service will be able to play with eachother.

What about the people who are playing a non-Galaxy matchmaking game?
I'll make it as clear as I possibly can, then :)

GOG Galaxy will allow you to play the online portions of a GOG game with other players no matter which service they bought the game.

Let me know if I am still not making myself clear and I'll ry again :)