It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

wolfsrain: "The Internet Archive has created an archive of what it describes as "vintage software", as a way to preserve them.[11] The project advocated for an exemption from the United States Digital Millennium Copyright Act to permit them to bypass copy protection, which was approved in 2003 for a period of 3 years.[12] The exemption was renewed in 2006, and as of 27 October 2009, has been indefinitely extended pending further rulemakings.[13] The Archive does not offer this software for download, as the exemption is solely "for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive."[14] Nevertheless, in 2013 the Internet Archive began to provide antique games as browser-playable emulation via MESS, for instance the Atari 2600 game E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.[15] Since 23 December 2014 the Internet Archive presents via a browser based DOSBox emulation thousands of archived DOS/PC games[16][17][18] for "scholarship and research purposes only".[19]"

As you can see, Internet archive is an exception from DMCA.
Oh, I didn't see that part. Thank you for posting it.
shaddim: they might become lazy, not realizing their internal creative potential due to the constant influx of income, getting frustrated... becoming alcoholic and commiting suicide in the end!
No!!! How are we gonna live the depressed and fucked up artist lifetsyle and die in our own vomit???!!!! The only way to keep our image safe would be to shoot ourselves on day-one release as the ultimate marketing 101 trick to get attention... ;)
wolfsrain: The project advocated for an exemption from the United States Digital Millennium Copyright Act to permit them to bypass copy protection,
Like US equals the whole world :o)
Post edited January 09, 2015 by catpower1980
It doesn't, but that's what they think:)
But even then, they only received a limited exemption. Some of what I saw on the site exceeded that.

And let's remember, they applied for that exemption for out of use systems. PC games are a different animal
RWarehall: But even then, they only received a limited exemption. Some of what I saw on the site exceeded that.

And let's remember, they applied for that exemption for out of use systems. PC games are a different animal
I would argue PC nowadays are too different from PC then. CGA, EGA, explicite soundcards, DOS OS, 16Bit/32bit code which access HW directly (not possible anymore due to protected mode/ kernel userspace separation)
Argue all you like, but I highly doubt it would go very far in court.
There are some basics of the law regarding torts.

Someone owns a copyright, they are currently selling a game. If you are distributing this same game to people, these owners are being harmed. They are suffering a demonstrable loss. And if this loss comes from one's intent or negligence, they are liable for it. Plain and simple.
shaddim: ... not realizing their internal creative potential due to the constant influx of income, getting frustrated... becoming alcoholic and commiting suicide in the end!
catpower1980: No!!! How are we gonna live the depressed and fucked up artist lifetsyle and die in our own vomit???!!!!
LOL I was going to make this joke but didn't. Now that the door is open ;)

I was pretty sure you didn't become a great musician / artist / author UNTIL the above happened!
Just read through the whole thread and it is evident that the archive IS responding to feedback. Most games sold on GoG are gone (pages deleted,) demo only etc. I presume they weren't a few days ago.

I tested a few and none of them work very well for me, sad to say. The mouse cursor tends to be off dramatically, the sound is stuttering and otherwise odd, etc.

This was true of Sierra's Laura Bow 1 : Colonel's Bequest, which is streaming only. [Sure wish that game would come on to GoG! ]
Also Eric the Unready, Wolfeinstein 3D, Marble Madness (which also has a timing problem) etc. etc.

So far the games play badly enough that a taste is all you are going to get! lol
shaddim: The copyright holders enjoy already a enormous benefit by the copyright (the protection by law is pretty costly and demanding to the society)
catpower1980: Honestly, I'm really wondering how you can fantasize so much about copyrights... No offense but when I read you (and some other people too), I really have the feeling that protecting artistic work is only for elitist millionaires who want to put the consumers into slavery :o)

Copyright is a normal thing and in this age of internet, it's even more relevant if you don't want your work to be stolen. It reminds me of why Kevin Mc Leod (incompetech.com) doesn't do too much hip-hop instrumentals: it didn't take too much morals for a leecher to take his instrumental track, put his voice on it and reselling it on Itunes....

I'm also wondering about why you call it "costly", in which context? If I take the rates of the SABAM (the Belgian equivalent of your GEMA), it's 124€ to be affiliated and you then pay 10€ for a 5-year extension of a registered work. Again, you should explain what you mean by that.....

Also, this convo reminds me when RPS wrote a troll article that every 20-year old software should be put in the public domain. Considering that many people are still alive and have the rights to benefit from their work, I find it insulting. I could easily make an analogy with music or books from the early 90's but closer to us, I think of Eric Chahi and his Another World.

Now, If you're the Internet Robin Hood type....
When you are advocating Copyright in it's current for, especially SABAM, you should sometimes read articles like that.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131113/03185925226/royalty-collection-agency-sabam-sued-belgian-government-over-piracy-license-plans.shtml

SABAM is/was sued by Belgian government .

Also I remember that in Canada the Recording industry was sued some time ago by artists, for unauthorized distribution of their works.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009/12/artists-lawsuit-major-record-labels-are-the-real-pirates/

S**t like that always happen, the world is not Black and White, it is in thousands shades of gray. Not only the pirates are the bad guys in case of intellectual property.
MMLN: SABAM is/was sued by Belgian government .
Oh, it's just a regular day in our dear kingdom :o) Just like the taxes on writable cd/dvd, usb key and hard drive....
Kool. <@8^D+<

Ultra-Kool.
Huinehtar: playing via browser, isn't it the ultimate DRM?
You couldn't be more wrong: there are 5 main browsers (one of them open-source) with a lot of additional less well known ones and the standard they run on are pretty well laid out, open and implemented universally, more so than OS-dependant executables.

For example, GOG games run on selected OSes (in a way, restricting your freedom to use them on any platform), but if a game suddenly started working in the browser, without plugins, using only the standards, you could run it on ANY platform that had a standard compliant modern browser (which would be any modern platform really).

What you are against is the fact that those games are run across the internet, but you can also have offline applications that run in the browser too.

Really, the interoperability of client-side development (no platform-specific shenanigans) was a big part of the reason I decided to become a web developer.
Post edited January 10, 2015 by Magnitus
Magnitus: Really, the interoperability of client-side development (no platform-specific shenanigans) was a big part of the reason I decided to become a web developer.
HTML5 games all the way then? ;)
catpower1980: Copyright is a normal thing and in this age of internet, it's even more relevant if you don't want your work to be stolen.
I don't understand why people continue to say that copyright infringement == theft. We are talking about *imaginary* property here! Yes, it may represent loss of income, but I agree with shaddim here: copyright is over-abused in some places, like the USA.

Let me ask you: have you ever told a story to a kid? Maybe you are infringing on copyright violation. Playing the radio too loud? Public broadcasting without permission.

Copyright infringement is the use of works protected by copyright law without permission, infringing certain exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the protected work, or to make derivative works. (From Wikipedia)

If copyright keeps extending, we will have to opt between forgetting our culture or infringing copyright. What would be of our culture without the works of Aesop and the Grimms' works (who collected traditional stories)? Already we have IP we do not know who owns. Until it falls into Public Domain, it will be forgotten.

In short, I think people should be payed fairly for their work. But copyright protections for 120 years? Get real! Where does society benefits from that?
Post edited January 10, 2015 by Gede
bizarre how someone can think a product made by another has some time limit to them getting paid and getting credit for it.

It all gets down to your own creativity, spend some time, imagination and labor crafting a product then just do one sale of it, and give your rights away. Then sit back and watch a multitude of others claim your work as their own and make their own profit off it if you feel so inclined to charity.

I'm all for copyright laws, there are already too many ways to get around a copyright legally and even infuriatingly for the original inventor.