It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I had to escape - the city was sticky and cruel.

Jalopy, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 50% launch discount until September 27, 4PM UTC.
Drive your wheezing, chugging Laika 601 Deluxe through the procedurally generated roads of 90s Germany or CSFR and see how far you can get, either as an unassuming scavenger or a successful smuggler that no border patrol can hope to catch.
Upon the game's full release, the developers promise to also include the roads of Hungary, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, and Turkey, among other additions.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the FAQ to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited September 20, 2017 by maladr0Id
IAmSinistar: It sort of looks like the driving equivalent of a walking sim (...)
That was my first thought as well. Not sure how well that works when it's mashed together with procedurally generated content though; games that invite you to take in the scenery kind of depend on that scenery being well-crafted.
deleted
bdavid92: I have been really interested in the game for a long time but i am not sure about buying as the attitude of the developers really dissapoint me, for what i see in their development blog they basically see GOG as some sort of "piracy facilitator" and more of a hassle than anything else. Tired of being treated as a second class customer even if we pay the full price...
CharlesGrey: Could you share a link to that specific post?
I can, drmike has posted the link on the first page :)

It's the second paragraph.
Post edited September 21, 2017 by An_dz
bdavid92: I have been really interested in the game for a long time but i am not sure about buying as the attitude of the developers really dissapoint me, for what i see in their development blog they basically see GOG as some sort of "piracy facilitator" and more of a hassle than anything else. Tired of being treated as a second class customer even if we pay the full price...
Buy it and prove the dev wrong?
"My Summer Car" too, please. :) Funhaus has done some hilarious videos of that.
CharlesGrey: Could you share a link to that specific post?
An_dz: I can, drmike has posted the link on the first page :)

It's the second paragraph.
An_dz:
Thanks! Here, folks, for the sake of convenience:

"Basically, I’m at the point where I’m wrapping the project up. Due to various publisher wishes I’m forced to have to work on things like changing references to “Early Access” to “development” in the game so GoG doesn’t throw a hissy fit. I’m unsure how well it will do on GoG but it should at least make it easier for pirates to gather the game and repackage it online after each update (A process I tried to combat with smaller updates every few days but didn’t stop them, commendable really)."

Meh, I don't know... Pirates gonna pirate. While I understand how game development, dealing with publishers/distributors etc. is bound to be stressful, his overall attitude still doesn't exactly increase my interest in the game.
CharlesGrey: Thanks! Here, folks, for the sake of convenience:

"Basically, I’m at the point where I’m wrapping the project up. Due to various publisher wishes I’m forced to have to work on things like changing references to “Early Access” to “development” in the game so GoG doesn’t throw a hissy fit. I’m unsure how well it will do on GoG but it should at least make it easier for pirates to gather the game and repackage it online after each update (A process I tried to combat with smaller updates every few days but didn’t stop them, commendable really)."

Meh, I don't know... Pirates gonna pirate. While I understand how game development, dealing with publishers/distributors etc. is bound to be stressful, his overall attitude still doesn't exactly increase my interest in the game.
Thanks for pointing this out. I've only ever bought like 4 EA games so i don't really buy them, but this definitely looks like a game you should wait to be finished. I hope i'm wrong, but in my mind this is screaming future addition to the GOG customers as 2nd class citizens mix. I assume his publisher forced him to release it on GOG? Otherwise, why release it here if he seems to be so against it.

He also said pirates were already releasing each little update he put out anyways, so why is he seemingly salty about having to release a DRM free version?

Also, i like GOG calling it "In Development" instead of "Early Access". There might not be much difference but in my mind the former sounds a tiny bit more like a warning and the latter makes it sound like the devs are doing you a favor by giving you the privilege of paying to play their incomplete game.
Post edited September 21, 2017 by user deleted
Point_Man: Thanks for pointing this out. I've only ever bought like 4 EA games so i don't really buy them, but this definitely looks like a game you should wait to be finished. I hope i'm wrong, but in my mind this is screaming future addition to the GOG customers as 2nd class citizens mix. I assume his publisher forced him to release it on GOG? Otherwise, why release it here if he seems to be so against it.

He also said pirates were already releasing each little update he put out anyways, so why is he seemingly salty about having to release a DRM free version?

Also, i like GOG calling it "In Development" instead of "Early Access". There might not be much difference but in my mind the former sounds a tiny bit more like a warning and the latter makes it sound like the devs are doing you a favor by giving you the privilege of paying to play their incomplete game.
He sounds kind of disillusioned and bitter about the games industry, piracy etc., and I can't really blame him for that. But like I said, pirates gonna pirate, which is pretty much what it comes down to -- Devs need to understand that a certain group of people will share and download their software for free. They can throw fits about it, threaten to stop developing games, add all sorts of nasty DRM measures... But chances are pirates will do their thing anyway. So instead of focusing so much on piracy, they should instead focus on their paying customers. Develop a quality product and respect your customers, and they'll happily reward you and recommend you to their friends, and most likely also buy your future releases. Either way, this guy doesn't exactly sound like a proud supporter of the concept of DRM-free software.

Funny how the developers of Darkwood took the opposite approach, not only releasing their game DRM-free, but even uploading it to torrent sites, so everyone could play it, even those who cannot afford to buy a copy. I don't know what their current sales numbers look like, but it seemed like their way of handling DRM and piracy ( and unauthorized code resellers ) worked out for them.
Point_Man: Thanks for pointing this out. I've only ever bought like 4 EA games so i don't really buy them, but this definitely looks like a game you should wait to be finished. I hope i'm wrong, but in my mind this is screaming future addition to the GOG customers as 2nd class citizens mix. I assume his publisher forced him to release it on GOG? Otherwise, why release it here if he seems to be so against it.

CharlesGrey: He sounds kind of disillusioned and bitter about the games industry, piracy etc., and I can't really blame him for that. But like I said, pirates gonna pirate, which is pretty much what it comes down to -- Devs need to understand that a certain group of people will share and download their software for free. They can throw fits about it, threaten to stop developing games, add all sorts of nasty DRM measures... But chances are pirates will do their thing anyway. So instead of focusing so much on piracy, they should instead focus on their paying customers. Develop a quality product and respect your customers, and they'll happily reward you and recommend you to their friends, and most likely also buy your future releases. Either way, this guy doesn't exactly sound like a proud supporter of the concept of DRM-free software.

Funny how the developers of Darkwood took the opposite approach, not only releasing their game DRM-free, but even uploading it to torrent sites, so everyone could play it, even those who cannot afford to buy a copy. I don't know what their current sales numbers look like, but it seemed like their way of handling DRM and piracy ( and unauthorized code resellers ) worked out for them.
The developers of the game "Die Young" just recently did something similar.
Point_Man: The developers of the game "Die Young" just recently did something similar.
Interesting, seems a bit like The Forest, with some touches of Resident Evil 4. I hope they'll consider bringing it to GOG's own "Early Access" program, or releasing it DRM-free when it's done.
Point_Man: The developers of the game "Die Young" just recently did something similar.
CharlesGrey: Interesting, seems a bit like The Forest, with some touches of Resident Evil 4. I hope they'll consider bringing it to GOG's own "Early Access" program, or releasing it DRM-free when it's done.
I hope The Forest comes to GOG someday as well haha. Maybe with GOG Connect... Die Young looks like it could be interesting too. Not enough singleplayer survival games imo. Too many that are centered around coop/multiplayer.
Post edited September 21, 2017 by user deleted
Point_Man: I hope The Forest comes to GOG someday as well haha. Maybe with GOG Connect... Die Young looks like it could be interesting too. Not enough singleplayer survival games imo. Too many that are centered around coop/multiplayer.
Darkwood is a singleplayer survival game, actually, in case you haven't played it. Doesn't look as fancy as most of these modern 3D survival games, but it does have great art direction and some very cool animations and effects, once you see it in motion.
Point_Man: I hope The Forest comes to GOG someday as well haha. Maybe with GOG Connect... Die Young looks like it could be interesting too. Not enough singleplayer survival games imo. Too many that are centered around coop/multiplayer.
CharlesGrey: Darkwood is a singleplayer survival game, actually, in case you haven't played it. Doesn't look as fancy as most of these modern 3D survival games, but it does have great art direction and some very cool animations and effects, once you see it in motion.
It did look interesting. I have it wishlisted for now though. Currently about to start a different survival horror game. Gonna start my first playthrough of Alien Isolation on Nightmare difficulty... Hopefully i don't regret choosing that difficulty as it wasn't even originally in the game when it came out.
re: piracy:

Sublime Text 3, a text editor, costs $80 but can be "evaluated" indefinitely for free. It's a text editor so it's not going to stick watermarks into your programs or anything. And so many people buy it the devs apologize for being unable to reply to sales enquiries on time due to high volume.

I bought the game, but holy shit that attitude.
I think this totally deserves some jokes about the car:

"Warum ist der Trabi das leiseste Auto der Welt? Weil er so eng ist, dass man sich mit den Knien die Ohren zuhalten kann." - English: Why is the Trabi the most silent car in the world? Because he is so tight that one can cover one's ears with the knees.

"Wann erreicht ein Trabi seine Höchstgeschwindigkeit? – Wenn er abgeschleppt wird." - English: When does a Trabi reaches top speed? When he is towed away.

XD