It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

eiii: That's not the point. I also do not expect GOG to intentionally remove games from my library. But mistakes happen, regardless of quality control or no quality control. That's life. And customers should have an easy way to independently verify what they have purchased. If GOG makes this check much harder with the current change they should provide a replacement.

That would be nice too, but that's not a solution. The point is the possibility of an easy independent control.
There's no reason why both can't happen. I'm not sure how these changes affect this function in the future however, yes one's game count will change during the progress of the migration of games, and their shelves will expand, but the counter and shelf full of games are still visible on the website technically, so can be compared with an offline list relatively easily still. In theory it could be done inside Galaxy client just as easily as well once it is complete and all of the games are Galaxy-aware.

I'm able to pan over my shelf right now and see if anything is added/removed/changed and compare it to my local list anyway, and I am under the operating assumption I should be able to do that as the changes continue. I have noticed and reported/discussed a few anomalies along the way too. What is it you're concerned that they have or are going to remove exactly, the total game counter or something else? What independent control were you using before, say 2 months ago, and what is different now that has removed this control if anything, or if nothing has yet removed it, what exactly is it that you fear losing? I'm not saying there isn't anything, I just honestly want to know what the concern is in case I'm somehow misunderstanding missing something myself and want the same thing you want after you tell me what it is.
skeletonbow: I'm not sure how these changes affect this function in the future however, yes one's game count will change during the progress of the migration of games, and their shelves will expand, but the counter and shelf full of games are still visible on the website technically, so can be compared with an offline list relatively easily still.
And where do you get that list from? So far there's no way to download a list of the game files.

skeletonbow: In theory it could be done inside Galaxy client just as easily as well once it is complete and all of the games are Galaxy-aware.
The Galaxy client is still considered optional. So there should be a way outside of Galaxy.

skeletonbow: I'm able to pan over my shelf right now and see if anything is added/removed/changed and compare it to my local list anyway
Manually going through the game shelf with many hundreds of games? That's not only error prone but also wasting a lot of time which better could be spent to actually play the games. ;)

skeletonbow: What is it you're concerned that they have or are going to remove exactly, the total game counter or something else?
Nothing to remove. But I assume the game counter on top of the shelf will show the number of games in the shelf, which will not be comparable anymore to the number of purchased games (resp. game bundles).

skeletonbow: What independent control were you using before, say 2 months ago, and what is different now that has removed this control if anything, or if nothing has yet removed it, what exactly is it that you fear losing?
So far you have the confirmations of your purchases which you get mailed from GOG. From those you easily can get the number of purchased games. This number has to match the number of games on top of your game shelf at GOG. Very easy to verify, so far ...

When the games get unbundled in the library, but not in the purchases, the number of games in your library does not match the number of purchased game bundles anymore and there is no way to calculate that number from the mails GOG sent you. So there's no way to check your game library against your purchases.

It's pointless to discuss that now before we see what GOG changes in the game library. But I expect them to establish a possibility to verify our game libraries and to check them against our purchases as easily as we can do it now.
skeletonbow: I'm not sure how these changes affect this function in the future however, yes one's game count will change during the progress of the migration of games, and their shelves will expand, but the counter and shelf full of games are still visible on the website technically, so can be compared with an offline list relatively easily still.
eiii: And where do you get that list from? So far there's no way to download a list of the game files.
I either compare my download directory subdir names with the games on my shelf in list order, or I select the list in the web browser and copy/paste it into a text file for comparison.

skeletonbow: In theory it could be done inside Galaxy client just as easily as well once it is complete and all of the games are Galaxy-aware.
eiii: The Galaxy client is still considered optional. So there should be a way outside of Galaxy.
Sure, I wasn't suggesting that one should have to use Galaxy, but rather that it should also be possible within Galaxy.

skeletonbow: I'm able to pan over my shelf right now and see if anything is added/removed/changed and compare it to my local list anyway
eiii: Manually going through the game shelf with many hundreds of games? That's not only error prone but also wasting a lot of time which better could be spent to actually play the games. ;)
Yes, that's exaclty what I do. Takes a few minutes, I own 335 games. Not something I ever need to do often though either. Everyone has their own needs, but my need to do that is rather infrequent and usually just to figure out what game I haven't downloaded if my game count doesn't match the one on the site.

skeletonbow: What is it you're concerned that they have or are going to remove exactly, the total game counter or something else?
eiii: Nothing to remove. But I assume the game counter on top of the shelf will show the number of games in the shelf, which will not be comparable anymore to the number of purchased games (resp. game bundles).
As they split the games up, the counter will go up by the number of new entries added according to GOG statements in the forums, so the counter should always represent the number of items on the shelf.

skeletonbow: What independent control were you using before, say 2 months ago, and what is different now that has removed this control if anything, or if nothing has yet removed it, what exactly is it that you fear losing?
eiii: So far you have the confirmations of your purchases which you get mailed from GOG. From those you easily can get the number of purchased games. This number has to match the number of games on top of your game shelf at GOG. Very easy to verify, so far ...
And gift codes.

eiii: When the games get unbundled in the library, but not in the purchases, the number of games in your library does not match the number of purchased game bundles anymore and there is no way to calculate that number from the mails GOG sent you. So there's no way to check your game library against your purchases.
You're making that assumption, but that goes contrary to what GOG employees has stated in the forums that the game count will go up to match the number of entries in the shelf. Game ABC now splits into game A B C, that is 2 more items on the shelf, and 335 turns into 337.

eiii: It's pointless to discuss that now before we see what GOG changes in the game library. But I expect them to establish a possibility to verify our game libraries and to check them against our purchases as easily as we can do it now.
Except that they've already provided this information so it isn't an unknown. ;) They've already unbundled a few games though so it is measurable already. I just don't happen to own any of the games that have been unbundled so far so I haven't seen it first hand. Someone who does and knows their before and after count can verify it for us, but either way GOG has stated that the count will rise as games are split. I'd post a link but I don't have one handy and someone who cares enough to find the reference will hunt it down and do so. I've already seen it so I'm content. ;)
Someone probably said this before, but there are 18 pages by now and I should be working, so I'll just ask:

why can't we instead get separate download links for each entry, and Galaxy could use this info to manage distinct installation options?
bugamn: Someone probably said this before, but there are 18 pages by now and I should be working, so I'll just ask:

why can't we instead get separate download links for each entry, and Galaxy could use this info to manage distinct installation options?
My guess: because galaxy has only one install button per game box.
bugamn: Someone probably said this before, but there are 18 pages by now and I should be working, so I'll just ask:

mrkgnao: My guess: because galaxy has only one install button per game box.
Why not make it have more than one button per game box?
mrkgnao: My guess: because galaxy has only one install button per game box.
bugamn: Why not make it have more than one button per game box?
You should ask the galaxy developers that question, not me.
skeletonbow: They've already unbundled a few games though so it is measurable already. I just don't happen to own any of the games that have been unbundled so far so I haven't seen it first hand. Someone who does and knows their before and after count can verify it for us, but either way GOG has stated that the count will rise as games are split.
I own Alien Breed+Tower Assault (one of the games that was split) and the games count did rise by 1, after it was unbundled in 2 games.
eiii: When the games get unbundled in the library, but not in the purchases, the number of games in your library does not match the number of purchased game bundles anymore and there is no way to calculate that number from the mails GOG sent you. So there's no way to check your game library against your purchases.
skeletonbow: You're making that assumption, but that goes contrary to what GOG employees has stated in the forums that the game count will go up to match the number of entries in the shelf. Game ABC now splits into game A B C, that is 2 more items on the shelf, and 335 turns into 337.
Exactly what I have written, the number of games on the shelf and the counter will increase and will not match the number of purchased game bundles anymore. So you cannot just compare these 2 numbers as a quick check if your game library is OK.

eiii: It's pointless to discuss that now before we see what GOG changes in the game library. But I expect them to establish a possibility to verify our game libraries and to check them against our purchases as easily as we can do it now.
skeletonbow: Except that they've already provided this information so it isn't an unknown. ;) They've already unbundled a few games though so it is measurable already.
Must have misread that. I thought they start to unbundle games on Tuesday. And my game library still looks the same. So they do not change the game library itself and have only unbundled games so far which I do not own.
Unbundling games would be better if we had a chance to group games on our shelf. It would be really helpful being able to create folders.
Obviously the change has nothing to do with the actual unbundling, and everything to do with adding a "download and play this game" button to Galaxy, which I can see as a commonly requested feature.

So that's fine, I'd just like to request that games within the same series all get grouped up together on the shelf to reduce clutter - for example, if I have all the Might&Magic games on the shelf, they'll show up as Might&Magic series, and expanding it will show all the individual entries. I think that'll go a long way towards making this change work.
Just dropping in to let you all know that we're into phase two - that means we're starting with unbundling all games now. This process will take about a week, so be patient and the system will get to your game shelf as well! :)

I am seeing a lot of questions here, and passing them on to our web team and those working on this. I'll try to get some feedback regarding some of your concerns, since I don't know all that much about the technicalities of the process myself.
I swear people get upset at the silliest things. It never fails when something changes there are going to be those who complain needlessly about it.

Honestly barring breaking up episodic games I don't see what the big issue is here? If anything this is a good thing, I really don't like the idea of having to download a bunch of installments of a game series that I don't want to play at the time just so I can play the one I want. For example if I want to play Might and Magic 4+5: World of Xeen I am also having to by proxy download 1,2,3, swords, and 6 it's a dumb way to handle it. This is easier and more convenient and I really don't see what the damn downside is to this outside of when you do want to install all the installments that were originally bundled together.
Is there going to be an option to see the unbundled games bundled in the library cause I really have no use to have them all separate in the library its just going to make a mess for me.

A suggestion: Why don't you just offer separate download links in the bundled games cards. One bundled downloqad link and separate download links for every bundled game under existing game card.

Is there going to be anyway that I can bundle the games together for myself to download them bundled cause I have no use for separate downloads?

So this is basically galaxy prep which makes everything harder for non galaxy users.
Post edited March 16, 2015 by Matruchus
DCT: I don't see what the big issue is here?
The big deal for me is that this is part of the countdown to Galaxy, which is going to drive people (mostly just the people I like) from the site en masse, to be replaced by steam kids...